• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Download problem!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello everyone, I have a problem with downloading custom campaigns that are bigger than around 30MBs. Whenever I try to download something (Ex:rise of the blood elves custom campaign) the download stops at around 30MBs and while downloading it doesnt show me the size of the file. I tried downloading using a download manager and it gave me a file that had the icon of custom campaigns and when I tried opening it in warcraft 3 it shows the name "just another custom campaign". Also this happens only on this website (and I tried with different campaigns). Please help me and thank you!!

Level 1
I tried downloading with firefox , chrome and torch and its the same with the three.
I also tried with another computer...and nothing...still the same problem

I dont know if its worth noting but I'll add that anyway.
The download stops after exactly 10 minutes for some reason

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 1
I cant download all the custom campaigns that would take me more than 10 minutes to download but I think I might know what the problem is let me explain.
Ok so when I try to download any file from this website only it doesnt give me information about the file's size when the file is small enough to take less than 10 minutes (and exactly 10 minutes and yes I stared a my download with a timer on waiting for it to stop multiple times) the download is done and I have no problem at all while playing BUT when the file is too big (more than 50-60MBs) the download cant complete before the 10 minutes are done . And so I think the problem is that my browsers because they dont have information on when to stop the download(since they dont have information on the size) are just stoping after 10 minutes while thinking that the download is done.
So to solve this there either be a way to get the information on the file's size OR make the time it takes to stop the download way bigger than 10Minutes.

Level 1
Ok so I tried downloading with IDM like you suggested and the same thing happened (download failed after 10 minutes).
Here are some images I took :
http://i.imgur.com/0M6bNws.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OJ69peY.jpg

Maybe that will help if not then my only choice is waiting untill I go to greece in august where the internet is waaay faster than here(as you can see 100Kb/s in the image and that is considered fast here)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
A lot of people cannot download anything that will take 10 minutes. If you are like myself 100 megabytes can download in under 10 second if THW servers had sufficient upload.

It is possible the server times out the download request after 10 minutes for "taking too long". Such a mechanic is common with servers to help combat DoS attacks caused by starting thousands of downloads and purposely limiting them to only a few bytes per second so that the server resources are depleted having to keep track of thousands of active downloads.

I also do not get a download size (X/Y MB downloaded) so I am guessing the downloading operates by opening a TCP connection with closing of the connection signifying end of file instead of the downloader keeping track of what is left to download (such as with peer-to-peer file sharing). In other words the download will fail to fully download if the TCP connection times out or is forcefully closed.

Level 1
Well I guess the only solution here is to get a faster connection which is impossible for me atm. Its okay though I have plenty of games to play until august comes + I have a lot of work to do this month and very little time to play so this will keep me from getting distracted.
Well thank you everyone anyway and have a nice day :D

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Well I guess the only solution here is to get a faster connection which is impossible for me atm. Its okay though I have plenty of games to play until august comes + I have a lot of work to do this month and very little time to play so this will keep me from getting distracted.
Well thank you everyone anyway and have a nice day :D
The problem with unknown filesize has apparently been solved by Ralle changing some configuration after he was made aware of this issue. He only was aware of this issue when someone posted the problem in the Site Discussion/Bug Report Forum.

Try downloading again, they hopefully will not crash before completion. If they still do then make a post about it in the Site Discussion/Bug Report Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.