• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Most tedious Request

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I want THE WORLD.

no.

I want a system that has features from other recipe systems I have seen, and I want it all built to work. As has been explained to me, one cannot just take a system that has a series of functions to accomplish a series of steps. Take another similiar system that has a series of functions to accomplish a series of steps. Link the two together, and expect Warcraft III to know what to do with all. It was also explained to me that I could if I wanted, have the first system run, then instruct warcraft 3 to tear off a piece of that system, and then have it run system 2, hack it all together and pray for a miracle that the map will compile and run with a full house in it.

Or we could do it the 'proper way' and build from the ground up a new system that has all those cool features I really want, incorporates the three pre-built recipe systems by making a fourth new recipe system from the ground up that is stable and works properly.

Or if it already exists and I just haven't seen it yet please point me to a Recipe System that accomplishes the following tasks:

-Item Stacking
-EZ build Recipe trigger-maker for Ordered Recipes, Non-Ordered Recipes, Recipes involving Stacks, Recipes color ranges
-Ordered Recipes (ordered recipes are item must be in slot 1, 2nd item must be in slot 2...)
-Non-Ordered Recipes (non-ordered recipes are proper items must be in inventory, and they auto combine)
-Recipes involving stacks (a stack of 6 golden fleece + a stack of 6 leather= a stack of 6 golden fleece lined leather armor)
-Recipes involving color range values

Level 9
Well, the thing is, I tried to use two different existing Recipe systems by just putting them both in my map. I think you can imagine how epicly that failed.

I want to use it for my Spree map, which I am at the moment calling it by it's genre 'Time Management'. This is because the absolute last thing I want is some epic noob to see my map when it's in alpha and start adding new versions and/or modifying the balance. Doesn't everybody hate that?

Spree is going to enter the battle.net world of warcraft 3 as the first playable solo, team, multi-player game of it's class. I want it to work and run like a well-oiled machine. The game will have many degrees of recipes, versatality and new things for players to discover or just play around with. The planned Color Range system that I am working on by myself is one those 'discovery, cool things' that I want to incorporate into the game. Spree is going to be one of those maps people will want to host, re-host and host again not only for those people wanting to see if they can become the next big thing, but also because of all the equivalent 'side-quests' and other play options that I am researching how to do.

My biggest worry is if I will be able to fit everything I want to do into the map and still have it under 2 megs.

I could also forsee this as being used by other people in RPG, and perhaps more than a few AoS that are seeking that special degree of uniqueness when having half is not enough, they want it all. I know down the road when I'm ready to go back to writing my Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG I'll be using it.

As for writing it, I am working on the color system for vertex coloring that I wanted. tedious, tedious work. Right now I'm looking at 4-5 functions per basic color and that is out of 10 colors so estimating 45-55 functions total when I'm done and each function has 9 variables which each need to be written individually. I have completed everything for the color Red and have started on orange, hope to get to green by the end of today.

At the moment I am doing all of this in wordpad.

Setting up the function code. All I really need is someone to point me in the direction, give me an example or sample piece of code and show me how to set it up, and how far to go with it.

All I really need is a paint by numbers canvas, some oil paints, a brush and someone to check in on me once in a while.

Prince on a white horse. No that's okay, I already have one. I honestly don't think I could handle having 2 princes on white horses vying for my attention, with projects I've started.

You can go be someone else's white prince, I just need a field guide to point out where to go.

I don't have work, I don't have school, and I do have all the coffee and 16 hr days I could want :)

I also requested this project over on www.w3campaigns.net

As far as how the system works, stability is very important. A previous system I was using was dependant on CSCache which is mentioned as being evil and unstable by the one who wrote it Vexorian. Vexorian is toting CSSafeCache as a basis to write a system on. I don't understand why either one would need to be used at all but there you have it.

Code:
JASS:
For example A range of Red 240 through 255, Blue 220 through 255 and Green 230 through 255 with Transparency 0 through 10 needs to be able to be labeled as an objective variable which can be used in further functions.

//Zero properties
	rmin = 0	//initial minimum value of red
	rmax = 0    //initial maximum value of red
	gmin = 0	//initial minimum value of green
	gmax = 0    //initial maximum value of green
	bmin = 0	//initial minimum value of blue
	bmax = 0    //initial maximum value of blue

//define property of Blood 
	bloodrmin = 130	//initial minimum value of red
	bloodrmax = 215    //initial maximum value of red
	bloodgmin = 0	//initial minimum value of green
	bloodgmax = 45    //initial maximum value of green
	bloodbmin = 0	//initial minimum value of blue
	bloodbmax = 45   //initial maximum value of blue

Last edited:
Level 9
PurplePoot What do you mean by recipes that involve color range values?

I have tried to explain this before, and I've only had 1 or two people 'get it' after explaining, and explaining, and explaining again. It has been a very hard concept for most people to grasp.

I will try to explain again and make it more clear this time.

Step1: I am defining ranges of Vertex Color Values, into 45-55 est. permutations, each permutation is being given a Unique Name.

Step2: Each permutation needs to be thought of as a recipe ingredient. Example would be Cherry Red, Lemon Yellow, and Blueberry.

Step: Using a separate Vertex Coloring System, change the color of a unit to a particular color that is Light blueish. Using the same Vertex Coloring System, change the color of a 2nd unit to a color that is dark blue.

Step: My Vertex Range Value checker looks at the two units that just had their vertex colors changed. It looks at the light blue one, and then checks that against the permutation ranges. It decides that this one fits in the permutation of Sky Blue. Next it looks at the dark blue one, and then checks it against the permutation ranges. It decides that this one fits the permutation of Blueberry.

Step: These two units must be sitting in the same region, they must be placed as vertex colored Objects.

Step: Once the above step is confirmed then we check for a recipe containing the ingredients Sky Blue + BlueBerry = SkyBerry

Step: Define correct answers. Example Skyberry = +5% income bonus, Nothing = Nothing.

Last Step: A skyberry marker needs to be placed within the region using Sky Blue and Blueberry if either of those units are destroyed so that no sky blue or blueberry remain, then skyberry must also be destroyed. IMPORTANT: If another color not Sky Blue, and not Blueberry is added then Skyberry must be destroyed and the recipe must be checked again for a different set. Also Important: No more than 1 each of skyberry, or any other recipe product per region.

Level 9
Completed Ranges

JASS:
//Zero properties
	rmin = 0	//initial minimum value of red
	rmax = 0    //initial maximum value of red
	gmin = 0	//initial minimum value of green
	gmax = 0    //initial maximum value of green
	bmin = 0	//initial minimum value of blue
	bmax = 0    //initial maximum value of blue

//define property of Blood 
	bloodrmin = 130	//initial minimum value of red
	bloodrmax = 215    //initial maximum value of red
	bloodgmin = 0	//initial minimum value of green
	bloodgmax = 45    //initial maximum value of green
	bloodbmin = 0	//initial minimum value of blue
	bloodbmax = 45   //initial maximum value of blue

//define property of Pink 
	pinkrmin = 227	//initial minimum value of red
	pinkrmax = 255    //initial maximum value of red
	pinkgmin = 88	//initial minimum value of green
	pinkgmax = 175   //initial maximum value of green
	pinkbmin = 99	//initial minimum value of blue
	pinkbmax = 147    //initial maximum value of blue

//define property of Fushia
	fushrmin = 241	//initial minimum value of red
	fushrmax = 255    //initial maximum value of red
	fushgmin = 0	//initial minimum value of green
	fushgmax = 90    //initial maximum value of green
	fushbmin = 209	//initial minimum value of blue
	fushbmax = 244    //initial maximum value of blue

//define property of Red
	redrmin = 247	//initial minimum value of red
	redrmax = 255    //initial maximum value of red
	redgmin = 0	//initial minimum value of green
	redgmax = 52   //initial maximum value of green
	redbmin = 0	//initial minimum value of blue
	redbmax = 29   //initial maximum value of blue

//define property of Orange
	orangermin = 235	//initial minimum value of red
	orangermax = 255    //initial maximum value of red
	orangegmin = 111	//initial minimum value of green
	orangegmax = 133    //initial maximum value of green
	orangebmin = 0	//initial minimum value of blue
	orangebmax = 26    //initial maximum value of blue

//define property of Apricot
	apricotrmin = 242	//initial minimum value of red
	apricotrmax = 254    //initial maximum value of red
	apricotgmin = 167	//initial minimum value of green
	apricotgmax = 194    //initial maximum value of green
	apricotbmin = 82	//initial minimum value of blue
	apricotbmax = 107    //initial maximum value of blue

//define property of Amber
	amberrmin = 255	//initial minimum value of red
	amberrmax = 255    //initial maximum value of red
	ambergmin = 98	//initial minimum value of green
	ambergmax = 110    //initial maximum value of green
	amberbmin = 0	//initial minimum value of blue
	amberbmax = 41    //initial maximum value of blue

//define property of Brown
	brownrmin = 104	//initial minimum value of red
	brownrmax = 170    //initial maximum value of red
	browngmin = 51	//initial minimum value of green
	browngmax = 87    //initial maximum value of green
	brownbmin = 0	//initial minimum value of blue
	brownbmax = 50   //initial maximum value of blue

//define property of Gold
	goldrmin = 196	//initial minimum value of red
	goldrmax = 220    //initial maximum value of red
	goldgmin = 142	//initial minimum value of green
	goldgmax = 170   //initial maximum value of green
	goldbmin = 18	//initial minimum value of blue
	goldbmax = 85    //initial maximum value of blue

//define property of Lemon
	lemonrmin = 239	//initial minimum value of red
	lemonrmax = 255    //initial maximum value of red
	lemongmin = 255	//initial minimum value of green
	lemongmax = 255   //initial maximum value of green
	lemonbmin = 137	//initial minimum value of blue
	lemonbmax = 178    //initial maximum value of blue

//define property of Brulle
	brullermin = 255	//initial minimum value of red
	brullermax = 255    //initial maximum value of red
	brullegmin = 234	//initial minimum value of green
	brullegmax = 254   //initial maximum value of green
	brullebmin = 179	//initial minimum value of blue
	brullebmax = 198    //initial maximum value of blue

Level 9
Other than it's a system that requires recipes to function hence tying it in early with something I need.

If I waited until the new system was completed and then tried to add it in, I'd be stuck in the same old rut as I was earlier. 2 different systems calling on the same function only to have it overload and fail.

By considering each neccessary system and function in the planning stages I save a lot of hair-pulling and anxiety down the road when things don't work because something that was required was left out of the planning stage.

Level 9
Each section of this request and Why it is Needed.

-Item Stacking
-----------------------------------
The map is going to spawn basic resources. These resources will then need to be collected. This is a spin-off of an idea from Troll Tribes. To make it less than annoying for people to collect resources. I wanted to let them be have a special unit they could move around to pick up stuff that they need. This unit then returns 'home' and drops everything in the 'home' region.

Items found this way may be traded to other players, sold to a resource trader NPC, or used in the manufacture of special goods.

-EZ build Recipe trigger-maker for Ordered Recipes, Non-Ordered Recipes, Recipes involving Stacks, Recipes color ranges
------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is something for me, to make it easy peasy for me to arrange and set up different recipe sets. There are 4 different recipe categories within the game, they are:

Non-Ordered Recipes Farming/Growth
These recipes require the right amount of materials to produce an item that can be planted. A planted item needs to be 'built' in a designated field and allowed time to grow up. Example: Cherry Tree, Beehive.

Stacks Recipe Manufacturing
These recipes take pre-made materials, either gathered or refined and refine them further. Refining again increases the gold value, and the ability to refine stacks of items, makes it easier for a player to easily prepare batches of items, or large finished products that need quantities of items to make. Manufacturing always happens in a special building made for a particular process. Example: Carton of Milk, Chocolate Ice Cream.

Ordered Recipes Shopping Lists
These recipes are carried by Consumers, they indicate what item or products the Customer wants to make that customer happy. Once the recipe is completed, in the order of the request, gold is delivered to the player controlling the region that the customer is in. Customer is then directed to leave the region. Example: Chocolate Bar, Carton of Milk, Cheese.

Vertex Color Recipes
These recipes are to identify and give bonuses to shops who use them within a region.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am open-minded if you think we should break the systems apart and that they would still work, but do better as separate entities I am all for that if it would be easier on the coder(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.