• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Help] Model Import

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2

Hey.

You see i got this problem which i don't know how to solve and the video tutorials don't tell me a thing.

I still don't know how to import models, because im new, and it really annoys me because there are some awesome models in here =)

-Gadella :spell_breaker:

Level 17
Hi Gadella,
-First you go to the download page and download the model - don't close this page yet!
-Then you extract the zip/rar/whatever files, preferably to a folder, preferably named after your downloaded model.
-Go to World Editor, open the import manager and import the files.
Here comes the tricky part. You have to fill the custom path to many textures yourself - manually. The custom path to the textures are given by the authors so you have to go back to the model's download page and just next to the download link itself there is another link that guides you to a page what tells you how to import the models and what custom path they need.
Hope it helped.

Level 17
Meh, now, read what I wrote again, just more carefully this time.
Also, here is the link you downloaded your evil illidan from..
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=47780&prev=s=evil&d=list&r=20

Go to where you clicked on the download link.. There will be another link with the text:

"Not sure how to import this model? Click here
Click here to download Sun Ce.zip (560.64 KB, 1506 Downloads)"

As the text says.. Click there and follow the instructions.
Two things:
-Before you ask for help be sure to double check if you skipped something.
-Don't forget that if your map's size goes over 4 megabytes you won't be able to host it on B.net.

Level 12
There's only one file, and a readme where it says:

"Set the location to this: (just an example)
Units\NightElf\EvilIllidan"

What location? o_O

Open WC3 editor. Open your map. On the top bar, go to Module, then Import Manager. From there, a new window will pop up. You want to import the model from that window. Go to File, then Import File.

Import the file you downloaded (not the zip, the mdx/blp/whatever file it is).

You will see a list. It will say something like, "war3imported\blahblah.mdl". You want to double click the line with the corresponding model you imported. Check "[] use custom path", and change the path to whatever location it needs to be, whether it's Units\NightElf\DemonHunter, or Units\Undead\DanceQueen.

Hope this clears it up for you.

Level 17
Don't double post, please. Use the edit function.
And we did everything physically possible to help you. If you still can't do it, read this whole thread again from the very beginning ;)

Edit: oh yeah, and there is a glitch that comes with model importing. When you import a model successfully and place it in the world editor, the model sometimes appears as a green/purple/pink cube. Don't be afraid of it, just save the map and run it, the model will work ingame (if you set the right path for it in the import tool. ;)

Level 2
Probably something wrong with my computer

EDIT:
Thanks for help guys, i will appreciate, but it didn't turn out =)
Probably my computer which is wrong, now i double checked 3 times. Still nothing

thanks anyway :)

Do NOT double-post. Use the Edit Post button.
~Posts Merged

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 12
Thanks for help guys, i will appreciate, but it didn't turn out =)
Probably my computer which is wrong, now i double checked 3 times. Still nothing

thanks anyway :)

Woah. Is this the model you imported?

Units\Shin.Sangoxumusou III\Sonchek\Sonchek.blp
units\NightElf\EvilIllidan\Shadow.blp (Overwrites a default texture)
Textures\Zap1.blp (Overwrites a default texture)

Make sure you imported all of them, and made sure they were in the right paths. Then you have to CHANGE the model of a unit TO that. I'm guessing you didn't do that part.

After you have the paths set, you want to go into the OBJECT EDITOR. For testing purpose, just go into the footman unit's data. Top left corner, Units, Human, Melee, Units, Footman. Now in the right hand side of the window, the unit data appears. You want to scroll down to the part where it says, "Art - Model File". Double click it. There are three options. Preset, Import, and Custom. Click on the Import drop down menu, and find your Sonchek.blp.

Then put a footman in your map, save it, close the editor, and reopen it to test your model out.

If it still doesn't work, I'd suggest trying a simpler model first so you get the hang of it. Like, Boo http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=47472&prev=s=boo&d=list&r=20

To make him into a hero, you just need to put his model on a hero, or copy a hero and put his model there. Then edit the size/stats to match. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.