• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #12 Theme Poll

Which theme?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
I will vote both for Magic/Spells for it pretty much is an open theme (what I mean is that the ideas and concept it covers is wide) and also Aura simply because it can be a great pair for the Zephyr contest happening right now.

Now it's just a matter of what category will get the highest vote. That's for my own vote and explanation.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Yay, one of the ones I voted for is winning. That'll be interesting.

Voted Elements (love Elementals, and we need a good Tidal Lord icon, as well as Earthmother & Stormfather), Armor Set (meh, thought it was like "upgrades"), Race Sigils (TROLLS...), Auras (fits well with the contest, and TROLLS...), Futuristic Rep of Default (meh, I like "re-interpretations" of things), Spells on Diff. Units (oh yeah, this'll be good, & TROLLS...), Vanilla Icon Recreation (definitely sounds interesting), Gender Swap (lol, I love it), Attack/Armor Types (like the Upgrades in that last contest!), and Custom Spell/Attachment Based Off Resource Section (like the feel of the community building upon itself).

Lotta good options there, thanks the for the Multi-Vote Poll!

... and also Aura simply because it can be a great pair for the modelling Zephyr contest happening right now.
Fix'd.

Level 49
Well, i guess that there is some trouble around iconsets, i mean, that some of themes will be hard to put in a seria of icons.

For a moment theme about unit's spells have higher ratings, so, i have one idea how to figure out some contest theme.

Each contestant choose at least 5 units from any classic race, and make some unique active or passive spell icons about these units. So, it should be at least 5 icons for 5 different units.

For example u pick a human race and next units:
Knight (the horse rider one)
Footman
Priest
Catapult
and Dwarf with shotgun..
and crafting upgrades\spells\passives for these icons:
Knight active spell "Gallop" with horse charging forward.
Footman passive spell "Shield blockade" with few shields stacked in one shield-wall
Priest - upgrade "Bless" - any heal adds armor to the target
Catapult - upgrade "Warmachine" - adds a thorns to the catapult.
For a Dwarf - active "scouting" - dwarf stands still and gives lager vision around.

So, u make all these icons and description about what they should be used for (ability...)..

I will parcipicate, yep :)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
For example u pick a human race and next units:
Knight (the horse rider one)
Footman
Priest
Catapult
and Dwarf with shotgun..
and crafting upgrades\spells\passives for these icons:
Knight active spell "Gallop" with horse charging forward.
Footman passive spell "Shield blockade" with few shields stacked in one shield-wall
Priest - upgrade "Bless" - any heal adds armor to the target
Catapult - upgrade "Warmachine" - adds a thorns to the catapult.
For a Dwarf - active "scouting" - dwarf stands still and gives lager vision around.

So, u make all these icons and description about what they should be used for (ability...)..

I will parcipicate, yep :)
Are you describing an alternate idea to the ones in the Poll, or an explanation of one currently in it?

Either way, I love that "Active 'Scouting' " idea... Somewhat like the Oracle from Age of Mythology. I've been dying to see if I could get that working in Wc3...

Level 49
Are you describing an alternate idea to the ones in the Poll, or an explanation of one currently in it?

Either way, I love that "Active 'Scouting' " idea... Somewhat like the Oracle from Age of Mythology. I've been dying to see if I could get that working in Wc3...

there is a lot of ways to realise that.. Actually around 1 year ago i made a working system of a dynamical change of a vision range. :) it's a item ability if i remember correctly, that can be used for change vision. :)

Well, i try to describe and make some advanced version of current poll posted idea.

I voted for:

Resources
Spells on Different Units
Multiboard/Interface Icons
Custom Spell Based (My own idea)
Custom Attachment Based (My own idea)
Miscellaneous Item Icons

I felt like these ones would make good themes for many reasons:

-They each have a distinct theme.
-They each, while having a distinct theme, still allow for a wide variety of unique submissions.
-They each would result in the creation of resources that could be very useful to the community.
-They're cool.

It looks like Spells on Different Units is winning right now. That's cool, because of all the ones I voted for, that one's my favorite, I like it more than my own ideas. I have a feeling that if that theme wins, we're going to start seeing a lot of maps with the units in the submitted icons using their abilities. That will be really cool.

Infernal has the right idea! ^^ Too many people are voting for their favorite types of icons and not what the hive needs. For example, one of the highest votes is for Auras.... lame.... we have tons of aura icons. I also can't believe there is no Modern Warfare section to vote for. Hello ... Modern Warfare ... it's totally lacking here.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Infernal has the right idea! ^^ Too many people are voting for their favorite types of icons and not what the hive needs. For example, one of the highest votes is for Auras.... lame.... we have tons of aura icons. I also can't believe there is no Modern Warfare section to vote for. Hello ... Modern Warfare ... it's totally lacking here.
While it is important to pick something useful, if it's something boring people won't make it & the contest won't be as fun (though I wouldn't mind seeing some artists getting 'stretched' beyond what they normally do; there's something to be said for "getting outside your comfort zone"). Case in point: How many custom building models do you find on THW? :p

Actually, that would fit in with Different Age Icons, which is one of the themes you could vote for. Having it specifically be Modern Warfare would be too limiting.

I voted for miscellaneous items.., I mean, come on.., I've been browsing for some food items, fruits, vegetables, and other stuff for my maps but they are not enough.., we need more of these icons for rpg maps and others..,

Yeah, misc items would be neat. It's not just food, though; misc items could be all kinds of stuff, like a pot or a hammer. It would give artists tons of flexibility, while at the same time still having a strong theme that is easy to adhere to. That's why it's one of the ones I voted for. While there were a few repetitive themes on that list, I do feel like we're still going to have a great contest. There are a lot of decent ones on that list, but I'm really hoping one of Spells on Different Units, Miscellaneous Items, or Resources wins.

There are quite a few themes on that poll that look like they could turn out really well, and thankfully those seem to be the ones people are voting for the most. I'm not very good at drawing icons myself, so I won't stand a chance in this contest (although I might still enter), but I'm looking forward to seeing what people produce for it.

Level 28
"Spells on Different Units(Footman using Stomp, Murloc using Hide, etc)"

I don't even understand what this is supposed to mean and it's going to win wtf o_O I was hoping for something like miscellaneous stuff as Guramax said - Holiday stuff, Food, Traps, Potions, etc. ... There are tons of abilities in Hive anyways. And also, I can't find much use in a Footman using Stomp ability (or any war3 unit using any other war3 spell. Most of them don't even match very well) :X Not only do I find it limiting (it HAS to be a Specific ability for a Specific unit, 2 Limitations) but it's also a bit boring, since you're just reworking something already made.
My opinion is pretty much the same about Auras heh.

I guess it's just me though, if people voted for these the most, they must have some good ideas about the themes and really enjoy them as well.. I can't wait to see this contest start ^^

"Spells on Different Units(Footman using Stomp, Murloc using Hide, etc)"

I don't even understand what this is supposed to mean and it's going to win wtf o_O I was hoping for something like miscellaneous stuff as Guramax said - Holiday stuff, Food, Traps, Potions, etc. ... There are tons of abilities in Hive anyways. And also, I can't find much use in a Footman using Stomp ability (or any war3 unit using any other war3 spell. Most of them don't even match very well) :X Not only do I find it limiting (it HAS to be a Specific ability for a Specific unit, 2 Limitations) but it's also a bit boring, since you're just reworking something already made.
My opinion is pretty much the same about Auras heh.

I guess it's just me though, if people voted for these the most, they must have some good ideas about the themes and really enjoy them as well.. I can't wait to see this contest start ^^

i don't think it has to be a specific ability on a specific unit
it would make much more sense if the user could choose any ability and any unit as long as the unit is shown in the icon using the ability

I also overlooked the misc. items
that would have been pretty useful, making those gray items in RPGs existing specifically for selling

Level 49
from the moment that wc3RPG is kind of tales, and the only point of playing wc3 - competitive games, i guess such us things like armor sets and misc items are pretty useless. Mhm, i mean that in wc3 is no place for "armor sets" and "elemental stuff". It is too hard for newbies and also boring for old players, so, any projects contains a lot of such stuff have to be outstiders. Same for RPG games - there are three and half players that really play that. Each of RPG map is mostly played by the author. Modmaking is kind of game, so, everyone crafts his own world, own rules, and others... That work only for the author. So, u want say that we should craft stuff for a lil bit crazy modmakers and thier lovely god-suite, or for some more usual stuff?

IMHO: i won't parcipicate in creating stuff for RPG maps. SOme classic and intresting theme would fit better.

I guess there can be a lot of actuall themes. For example - find 5 units in skin\model section and make them icons. That is much more usefull than misc items. yep.

P.S Sorry for my shitty english :)

Level 28
PeeKay, armor upgrades and misc items don't necessarily have to be used only for RPG maps. Armor Upgrades can be used in many maps (Melee Maps have them (and war3 is all about melee maps actually), dota-like maps, stuff like VampFire, etc.). And about Misc items, well, they can still be used in the same way I think, in non-RPG maps.

Just Spectating, it doesn't really matter what ability for what unit you make, you're still just reworking an icon already made not only by Blizzard but by many users as well (abilities like War Stomp for example).
And I believe that this contest http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/contest-archive-227/icon-contest-9-a-207873/ is very similar to the theme, I was hoping for something fresh and new :cgrin: But anyways, whatever gets picked is fine with me.

Level 28
Pick an existing ability from the ability section? Well that sounds fair enough, but it's not in the list :X But then again, it also has this repeat in it because you have to make the same ability 4-5 times (for the different units). Which is quite boring, I think.
If you have to make 4 war stomps, they'll be different in color and lighting but as design, they will all be almost the same - some kind of a stomp. For armor upgrades it's similar, but at least you get to play a bit with the design, you have more freedom to change the interpretation of the given theme. You see, with spells in this case, the theme is a specific ability, very limiting. With Armor Upgrades it's not - it's something like Plate armor. You have endless versions of plate armors, but you don't have endless versions of War Stomp, right? At least I see that way.

And, well, my problem isn't that much with how limiting the theme is, it's interesting so who cares if it's limiting. It's the fact that making 5 totally different icons is a lot more fun that making 5 similar icons. And about usefulness, the same rule applies. Having 5 icons is a lot better than having 1 icon interpreted in 5 ways.

Level 49
2morbent

About "quite boring".. well, the realisation of the same ability for 4 different units should not be quite similar. For example we have ability that gives a shield, blocking next targeted spell or spell effect. So, for example, mage can make spherical shield so, u make a icon with mage blocking ability. Warrior unit block's it with shield, so, there is other icon. Elemental unit can just absorb spell power, so, there is other way to show it. So, same with everything. About stomp - also can be used for a lot of versions. And there is no reason to show the stomp effect on the icon, so, i can imagine around 15-20 ways to show stomp spell for different units. And when i tell "stomp" i thought about a FX used and effect applied on targets (damage+stun or damage+slow) .... There is release of magic damage, of inner will, physical acting (like tauren), using potions. And also if there is not FX fixed, u can go up to 50-60 versions of this effects (instant stun\slow and damage around unit). So, don't tell me it's boring to fit a ability for 4-5 units. :)

Level 28
Yes they are.. Different, but still quite similar. Like.. It's still the same spell! If it's a block damage spell it's always about blocking. But that's not the whole problem, the problem is that when you combine SpecificTheme (like Thief Leather armor/War stomp/Archer hide) with 4x times the same theme it gets so... so... Well. Boring. The two separately (like having to make something 4 times or having to make something very specific 1 time) doesn't sound bad, but when combined they form a bad combination. If I have to make 4 armors I wouldn't mind. I can make them totally different. But if I have to make 4 Thief Leather armors then it's boring, for an icons contest, that is. If it was about making concept arts, hell, I would make even 10 versions of Thief Leather armor, then it's fun! You get to design. In icons there's very little space for design, it's mainly about lighting. At least I see it that way.

And even if it isn't that way, shouldn't we have some variety in this contest? Icon contests are ... rare here, so you can't make the theme limiting or repeating. It has to be very open so that everyone can jump in! Sure it won't be as challenging if it's not limiting, but at least more people will enter and we'll get to see not only more stuff, but more ideas for the given theme because a limited theme doesn't allow the artist that much freedom.

P.S: I really think we should end this discussion because I'm going off-theme. If anyone wants to discuss this more, VM/PM me please.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45

And even if it isn't that way, shouldn't we have some variety in this contest? Icon contests are ... rare here,...

P.S: I really think we should end this discussion because I'm going off-theme. If anyone wants to discuss this more, VM/PM me please.

I may not have a lot to say about the conversation (I kinda agree with PeeKay; there is probably a way to make the Theme "just restrictive enough" without making it boring for peeps such as you, morbent)... But I fail to see how you could be any more On-Topic. This is a thread, featuring a Poll, about the merits of the various presented Themes for an Icon Contest. And you are discussing the merits of a particular presented Theme for this Icon Contest, in order to help craft it to be better (I presume).

That's completely on-topic.

Also, I'll point out that with 11 finished contests, Icon Contests aren't exactly "rare"... Maybe "infrequent" or "not entirely common". "Rare" to me would be, like, the Voice Acting or Music-making challenges (lol, would love to see one of those again).

Level 28
Very well Kyrbi0 I will reply here if you think I am on topic. But I still think this thread is only for voting on the poll rather than discussing the poll.. whatever.

Nah the Voice acting contests and Music-making challenges (which I think are awesome as well) are Unique, not Rare (according to something like WoW Item System).

And fine, call me capricious, but making 4 similar icons for a contest which occurs so rarely that we only have 11 when in art sites you get 1 contest each week seems like a waste of fun :cgrin: These contests in the Hive, they're not about skill, they're all about fun. Contests for skill can be found in other sites, if you wanted to test you art skills go to art sites! I'd really rather see 5 ideas from each contestant rather than 5 64x64 small artworks, copies of an already existing one (as I repeat myself for the 1000th time). And when talking about usefulness, the same rule applies - 5 different icons are a lot more useful than 5 similar ones. Because it is more or less like this: 5 icons or 1 icon. Which sounds more useful to you?

I may not have a lot to say about the conversation (I kinda agree with PeeKay; there is probably a way to make the Theme "just restrictive enough" without making it boring for peeps such as you, morbent)... But I fail to see how you could be any more On-Topic. This is a thread, featuring a Poll, about the merits of the various presented Themes for an Icon Contest. And you are discussing the merits of a particular presented Theme for this Icon Contest, in order to help craft it to be better (I presume).

That's completely on-topic.

Also, I'll point out that with 11 finished contests, Icon Contests aren't exactly "rare"... Maybe "infrequent" or "not entirely common". "Rare" to me would be, like, the Voice Acting or Music-making challenges (lol, would love to see one of those again).

Off-topic: Heck yeah! I'd like to see one of those!

But, yeah, I'd say there's nothing wrong with discussing the options of the poll, voting and discussing is what this poll thread was made for!

I'd say I have to agree with PeeKay, though. We're making icons, not abilities. Sure, if you're messing around in the Object Editor, making a bunch of abilities that do the same thing with different FX could be boring, but when you're drawing icons, the visual IS your focus, and each visual can be completely different regardless of the concept of the ability it's meant to demonstrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.