• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WW3: Nuclear Sunrise v1.34

Wellcome to World War 3 Nuclear Sunrise, the most well-succeded attemp to bring a real-life war simulator into Warcraft 3. With over 26.000 downloads over the world*, this map brings to you all the tension of a global-scaled conflict in a possible reality not far from ours.
*The Hive and Epic War downloads.

Game Features:

- Over 110 real tanks, aircraft, and naval units with realistic models. Each tank/aircraft has a real fully detailed information about it. On every game version, new units are avaliable.
- Over 100 countries avaliable to be captured/destroyed.
- Epic battles.
- Reallistic Air Combat.
- Nuke your enemies!
- or build Anti-Missile shields towards your nation to prevent it.
- Average AI for computer players that allows begginers to get learn how to play.

Thanks for playing.

Check our hosted forum and discuss, report bugs, give suggestions about this map:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f601/
Thanks the Hive Workshop staff for hosting the forum.

OPEN SOURCE
I'm not a selfish person. Since Blizzard extended the max filesize limit to 8mb, map is no longer protected. You can modify this map as you wish, or use the systems included on this map on a map of yours, but dont forget to give me credits for all systems, and read the comment file explaining the rules of how to edit/republish this map. As long you follow these rules, you don't need to ask me authorization.

Fuck imageshack! They have deleted my pics! I will upload new ones soon.

If you want to play with AI, dont use more than 2 computer players or game will lag like hell (Blame wc3 engine!). That happens because this map has epic battles with hundreds of units on each side, and when an AI orders too many units to advance/move/retreat, game lags, and theres no way to fix it. But I can assure you: If you play on solo against 2 computer players, the game is still funny and can last very long.

Keywords:
World War, Modern Warfare, Nuclear, War
Contents

WW3: Nuclear Sunrise v1.34 (Map)

Reviews
Gilles: No bugs found. The models are very nice, and you did an excellent job on the map of the world!
Level 6
It's good to be back in Hive after a long vacation.... Hey this is the final version? I'll wait this map in SC2... Can i ask if i equip a Mortar/Grenades/Rocket launchers to a Soldier, do it fire mortar automatically if they engage a battle to a certain enemy like the flamethrower? I'm not yet testing 1.34... I just got back yesterday...

Level 3
StarCraft 2 Editor out it has a legacy map convert function it takes a while running it on this map ill past latter how it turns out.

Well the terrain came out ok but will probably have to be redone

Last edited:
About the questions related to WW3 NS version in Sc2

1) This is NOT the final version yet. I wan't to add more things yet. If you have ANY suggestions about new units/abilities/etc. please post it!

2) Don't be so confident about the SC2 version of this map because of many reasons:
- I think that modelers will take a LOT of time to start making modern tanks, helicopters, chips, and aircraft for sc2 (Unless people can find a way to convert .mdx into the sc2 models)
- My current computer can't run SC2. I actually have a Pentium 4 2.8ghz, 512mb Ram, Ge-ForceMX4000 graphics card. I do aim a Pentium Quad Core, 4gb Ram, and Ge-Force 9800GT. I will not able to buy it before July or August.
- After I finally can play SC2, I will take some.. A LOT of time to find out how his editor works.

So, just keep suggestions coming up. There are no plans of the works in WW3: Nuclear Assault (previewed name for this map in SC2. It might change) start before mid 2011.

About the next version:
For now, the only new idea I have is the Nuclear Briefcase. A item that can be carried by terrorists, droped in an enemy country, and detonated. It's like a Stealth Nuke. This will be 3 times more expensive than a ICBM. Also, I do plan working in the infantry again. The unique infantry will be resotored (and will cost less, so people don't mass tanks), and I will double the cost of ICBMs, so they can't be massed.

Post your suggestions for 1.35

Level 9

1) This is NOT the final version yet. I wan't to add more things yet. If you have ANY suggestions about new units/abilities/etc. please post it!

2) Don't be so confident about the SC2 version of this map because of many reasons:
- I think that modelers will take a LOT of time to start making modern tanks, helicopters, chips, and aircraft for sc2 (Unless people can find a way to convert .mdx into the sc2 models)
- My current computer can't run SC2. I actually have a Pentium 4 2.8ghz, 512mb Ram, Ge-ForceMX4000 graphics card. I do aim a Pentium Quad Core, 4gb Ram, and Ge-Force 9800GT. I will not able to buy it before July or August.
- After I finally can play SC2, I will take some.. A LOT of time to find out how his editor works.

So, just keep suggestions coming up. There are no plans of the works in WW3: Nuclear Assault (previewed name for this map in SC2. It might change) start before mid 2011.

About the next version:
For now, the only new idea I have is the Nuclear Briefcase. A item that can be carried by terrorists, droped in an enemy country, and detonated. It's like a Stealth Nuke. This will be 3 times more expensive than a ICBM. Also, I do plan working in the infantry again. The unique infantry will be resotored (and will cost less, so people don't mass tanks), and I will double the cost of ICBMs, so they can't be massed.

Very Interesting. I'd like to make some other questions and suggestions:
Questions:
-Is the Chain Quest completed? If not,in what version you expect to be ready?
-Which variants will be on the Stryker APC?
-There will be other avaiable variants in other tanks/aricrafts?[BMP-3,AH-1 Cobra,etc...]
-Is the Napalm Bomb working proppely now?
-That General stuff that was in one of the older versions[can't remember wich],will you add it again?

Suggestions:
-Other kind of bombs in the Bombs Factory[For example Dirty Bombs :p]
-Field officers[Gives morale and can send neaby troops to attack a targeted area]
-Strategic points [I know,it's alot of work but,could be useful.For example: A player's convoy is passing throug a "Choke Point",than has chances to miss other units that are on higher places,reduced speed if it's near a country or forest].

Level 3
My current computer can't run SC2. I actually have a Pentium 4 2.8ghz, 512mb Ram, Ge-ForceMX4000 graphics card. I do aim a Pentium Quad Core, 4gb Ram, and Ge-Force 9800GT. I will not able to buy it before July or August.

Why a Pentium grab a Anthlon II Ham Ham i have one and its fast and its cheap

Level 9
I noticed wrong about the tooltip of Challenger II tank. Could you check it and fix it at the next version? And try changing the M249 SAW machine gun of the Russians, because only British and Americans have that machine gun.

Anyway I have a suggestion, create a new weapon at the Supply depot, FGM-18 Javelin, which is an American-modified rocket launcher that tracks tanks with a great range but has only 1 charge instead of 5 like the rocket launcher item.

So far I can't see any problem except for the tooltip one. Continue your map and I wish it will be better in the next versions.:thumbs_up:

Level 11
If you wish to get a good processor get the Intel Core i5 or i7 series, they're better than the Quad-Core for many reasons.

1. Uses less material which means costs less
2. Has better speeds and overclocking.
3. Just about the same price as the Quad Core but with more features (Hyper-threaded, Turbo Boost etc...)

Level 10

blahey blehey bluhey blihey blohey

About the next version:

A smarter AI which doesn't spam infantry that goes 'round in circles, stronger bombers to drop nukes, diplomacy to negotiate truce and the like, a more diverse pallete of buildings, conventional planted bombs (maybe :confused:) etc.

Level 11
Post suggestions for 1.35 is simple lol.

Make more units and fix up some grammars and locations (honestly I never get why you placed Quebec instead of Ottawa for Canada)

Ok well here's a list of units you may want to add (or replace)

-Canada does have Leopard 2 MBTs to you know so why not add them?

-Japan has a prototype stealth fighter called the ATD-X by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_ATD-X

-This sounds dumb but Plasma-based weapons, apperently Boeing is doing research on that right now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma-based_weaponry

-Since both USA and Russia has there own "Space Forces" maybe there could be a aircraft capable of destroying satellites easily than having to spend it on ICBM and play a guess of Where's is that satellite.

-No railguns cause I've been doing research on the railguns and as fun as it sounds to have them they say that the Railguns are only ready in 2020-2025 and since this is 2012 it ain't gonna work...

-However since there is a age advancement thing going on in the map maybe there is a possibility of placing in new weapons when X date has passed.

-New Event the reconstruction of project Babylon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Babylon Project Babylon is a supergun that was meant to fire anywhere in the world, there is a group that tries to reconstruct it and probably succeeded. So who ever gets to the Babylon site first controls the cannon (although the thing is immobile so defenses are needed lol.)

Level 27
Talking about space forces, actually I don't know how USa, but in USSR in late 80s they actually managed to create a lasers weapons for astronauts. Those were one time use and could be used only in vacuum, but still, those were the only hanguns that can be used in space. So maybe you should make some kind of anti-space station space station (well maybe unlockable by quests or something)?

Level 9
What about the Skynet Project? Just kidding xD. Now serious,maybe all countrys need a cheap and fast recoinnaissance aircraft (like UAVs or something),because even the spy satellite is a little expensive and slow.

Level 4
make E.U. and Japan and stuff have a chance to join the chain quests as nazi and rising sun respectivly get a ww2 minigame going here ahahaha :p, o and for sc2 why not just get the units change the stats around to the ones you want and then change the skins when the models come out respectivly... its not that bad to play w/out skins us starcraft players have managed :p but im not sure galaxy editor may be different...

Level 3
make E.U. and Japan and stuff have a chance to join the chain quests as nazi and rising sun respectivly get a ww2 minigame going here ahahaha :p, o and for sc2 why not just get the units change the stats around to the ones you want and then change the skins when the models come out respectivly... its not that bad to play w/out skins us starcraft players have managed :p but im not sure galaxy editor may be different...

Redoing the triggers redoing the terrain will take time in Sc2. Stats work a little differently in Sc2.

Making a Custom UI will take some time if ham ham chooses to make one.

Level 4
yea... i see your point :| ah well i was just hoping for to much to soon i guess ;\

-However since there is a age advancement thing going on in the map maybe there is a possibility of placing in new weapons when X date has passed.

I just did a little bit of reserch and it appears railguns have been though about as early as ww2 and could have been made... just the power source required ws not feasible at the time (enought o power half of chicago) however... i am not saying you are wrong tau, your most likely alot more accurate then me (seen you post alot of things they make sense :thumbs_up:) but with todays tech there are some prototypes around i would suspect... so you could have very limited versions until 2020-25 like much more expensive and then down to a more reasonable price later on... just an idea

Level 9
I prefer to leave some suggestions to Ham Ham because i really want to help him improving this map.Maybe,when he launch a final version,i'll edit it a little bit with some ideas,but i don't think i'll do that =].

Level 1
How did you make that tanks move theare turret to hostile separately from the rest of the tank ?

Level 9
lol I thought was some kind of animation like the one in the Cannon Tower xD. I'm not skilled in Mapmaking anyways.

Level 9
In English spells Lisbon and in Portuguese is Lisboa :)

So Ham Ham, just a question, how four men enters in a AH-1 Cobra, if it has only 2 seats and these are for the Pilot and Gunner? :)

Level 11

So Ham Ham, just a question, how four men enters in a AH-1 Cobra, if it has only 2 seats and these are for the Pilot and Gunner? :)

Simple you strap two guys with rope and there you go 4 passengers. Yeah that is a problem isn't it? It needs the CH-47 Chinook transport copters instead of a assault helicopter.

I did it again =/
Excuse me for vanishing over a long time again, people.
Sometimes I just get very obsessed about my projects in Doom 2 lol.

But I think this time I was out was just nice to elaborate new ideas. I'll try making the next version as a major new feature version, not just another minor bugfix version. I will review all posts since the last time I was here, and start working again soon. The notice that Sc2 can convert Wc3 maps gave a lot of will to keep this thing going on.

Level 8

yeah i know, portuguese is lisboa and english is lisbon but in the game its spelled lesbon

Level 11
Ok since this could be the last Warcraft III version of Nuclear Sunrise, I suggest people to throw in as many suggestions as possible (at least ones that makes sense.)

-Add different transport helicopters for example the American/European CH-47 Chinook the Russian Kamov Ka-60 etc...

-Nerf zombies a bit seriously it's hard enough to find the starting point but when 1 zombie is created every 3 seconds and to kill 1 it takes 1 naval ship that fires it like 8 rounds... it's pretty ridiculous, especially useless vs marines.

-Maybe add different "services" or "command" say for example Russia (not sure why I always pick them.) You gain the the choice of choosing one of the following 3 services: Strategic Rocket Forces, Russian Space Forces and Russian Airborne Troops. USA gets say Space Command, Marines Command and Engineering Command.

-Fun quests, nuff said

That's pretty much all I can think of right now.

Level 4
-Nerf zombies a bit seriously it's hard enough to find the starting point but when 1 zombie is created every 3 seconds and to kill 1 it takes 1 naval ship that fires it like 8 rounds... it's pretty ridiculous, especially useless vs marines.

just saying but if you know how to beat them zombies are extremely underpowered... just mass MLRS or just simply mass bombers and its
GG for zombies... can u plz add an air attack for the zombies? and i played as them once and i found out they seem to stop spawning after a while

their was something else but i forget right now.

Level 9
Erm I think it's a good time to upload your map screenshots...

Yeah I think so too ^^

just saying but if you know how to beat them zombies are extremely underpowered... just mass MLRS or just simply mass bombers and its
GG for zombies... can u plz add an air attack for the zombies? and i played as them once and i found out they seem to stop spawning after a while

Maybe flying zombies, crow zombies for example, are a little more realistic than land zombies attacking flying choppers or aircraft, even if they spit acid or something.

Oh right, here are my suggestions:
-The spy's ability, assassinate, can hit tanks[OMG]. Make it only hit organic units, and create a new spell that hits ground mechanical units: Sabotage [I suggest 3 sec. delay to cast, another 8-10 sec delay and... kaboom :D];
-There's a very huge bug, that makes the map unrealistic: The fighters/bombers and heavy bombers continue to fire, even without supplies[mana];
-You could add a IFV for Teal: FV510 "Warrior" [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_IFV ];
-Maybe improve that HMMWV model, not that the current model isn't good, but that Humvee model you got on Gulf War is really awesome :D [liked a lot because has a realistic Machinegun :];
-The Soviets have an old design in the Cold War: The Black Eagle Tank. You maybe could create one and put it in one of the secret Soviet bases... here's the description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Eagle_tank ;
Well I think it's all... for now.

Last edited:
Level 11

Ya I know but if they start off inside your territory screw getting MLRS that would take to long and by then the zombies would control like 1/4 of your territory as for air hitters, smokers for Left 4 Dead lol jk, zombie crows.

Level 4
Ya I know but if they start off inside your territory screw getting MLRS that would take to long and by then the zombies would control like 1/4 of your territory as for air hitters, smokers for Left 4 Dead lol jk, zombie crows.

eh, depends what country you are if you are america and they hit mexico/savandor (the one below) then U.S. ive seen usually tends to win... but i can understand if they spawn somewhere like belgium, specially if russia is attacking the frontline, im just saying their is a right way to combat them and a wrong way (infantry unless given new weapons/BFG9000 :thumbs_up:)

I tried playing this map alone against AI, but the lag was to intense for me to do anything at all. i could barely pan my camera.

i think the tank turret rotation system is adding CPU load on a map as big as this, not to mention the high unit intensity. Or maybe the AI scripting was just a bit unefficient.
The map seems good in general though, just a few things i would like to note:

*There are no clear unit classes. As the soviets, i had two different kinds of MBT's that i could build, and that doesn't make sense. Also, there was this wierd katyusha model that could barely attack, aswell as what seemed to be several different kinds of troop transports (why more than one?). You should have more distinct classes specialized in taking down specific units to add a more strategic level to the play.

*Tooltips were a mess. Instead of telling what the unit actually does, they just packed a lot of background shit that had nothing to do with how the unit should be used. Please change that.

*I didn't really understand how POW camps worked. Although i think it is a pretty cool idea, the system of letting dead units linger as bodies might be another cause of the lag. You should try to reduce the ammount of units on the map instead.
Also, i tried building the camp near a bunch of such bodies, but when i tried to retrieve them, an error message said i couldn't recover neutral units. How then am i supposed to do it?

i couldn't get much more out of my testing session, but i'll let you know if i play it again and find something else.

Level 27
I tried playing this map alone against AI, but the lag was to intense for me to do anything at all. i could barely pan my camera.

i think the tank turret rotation system is adding CPU load on a map as big as this, not to mention the high unit intensity. Or maybe the AI scripting was just a bit unefficient.
The map seems good in general though, just a few things i would like to note:

*There are no clear unit classes. As the soviets, i had two different kinds of MBT's that i could build, and that doesn't make sense. Also, there was this wierd katyusha model that could barely attack, aswell as what seemed to be several different kinds of troop transports (why more than one?). You should have more distinct classes specialized in taking down specific units to add a more strategic level to the play.

*Tooltips were a mess. Instead of telling what the unit actually does, they just packed a lot of background shit that had nothing to do with how the unit should be used. Please change that.

*I didn't really understand how POW camps worked. Although i think it is a pretty cool idea, the system of letting dead units linger as bodies might be another cause of the lag. You should try to reduce the ammount of units on the map instead.
Also, i tried building the camp near a bunch of such bodies, but when i tried to retrieve them, an error message said i couldn't recover neutral units. How then am i supposed to do it?

i couldn't get much more out of my testing session, but i'll let you know if i play it again and find something else.

It's already aid you shouldn't play with more than two AIs at the same time.
Actually I noticed that tank system may be leaking, it doesn't create a temporary location! Zombie spawning is the same problem, they spawn in non-temporary location, which creates leaks.

POW camps work this: your "just infantry" has ability to interact. use it on enemy troops to capture them and turn into POWs that can be use them. use on your own troops to return them back to normal.
That's uncomftable, I already said AoE capturing abiulity would be useful... the tooltips? Well yeah you're right about them.
There are also some bugs with capture system, like you can neutralise zombies, but the ability gives no effect on them. engineers can't be returned to normal after demoralization too.

Ok, i noticed the AI warning when i opened the map in the editor. It is very ambitious to have an AI at all, imo.

And yes, the tank turret system leaks pretty badly, not only does it leak the position where the "tank dummy" is being placed, but it also lekas the dummy unit itself!
My suggestion is to make a system similar to "TimerUtils" where you have an array where you store the dummy units, "release" the dummy once the tank is issued a new order (or whatever), and then have a function to recycle the dummies again.
it's not good for the unit stack to create and remove units over and over like that.

Level 5
You know, the map itself is opensource, and i believe the author has abandoned it to make an SC2 version. I bet if you can repair the map, it would most likely count as permission to repost because of it being opensource.

Well, i did fix all the leaks before i tried to host it, but i also noticed that ham ham had added a quite unconventional way of preventing dummy unit leaks; he gives them negative life generation instead of adding expiration timer.

anyways, i really do like the different systems used in this, and i have absolutely change my mind on thing slike the turret system and the POW camps (it's pretty cool).
But what needs to be fixed is, for instance, that he has created a basic damage detection system (adding a separate event for each unit to a trigger), but instead of using "(specific unit) takes damage", he persists on using the oh so buggy and exploitable "a unit is attacked" (which only registers when a unit commences it's attack animation, hence the target unit can be killed by someone else before the triggering unit hits).

I'm not sure if i have time to help this project out, but i have used some ideas from it as inspiration for my own map, which by coincidence started off just like you just suggested - by me trying to help someone touching up terrain and improving models/triggers, only that the owner has become inactive. You can find the project in my signature.

Who said I quit this map? I'm just having some troubles in real life.
As I said, this ISN'T the final version yet. I'll try uploading a new version soon (ok, I promissed it about a hundred times this year, but this time I'm talking serious. So you guys can see this project isn't dead xD)

Fingolfin, if you can find ways to fix the leaks, then go ahead.

Also, the project is open-source, so you are allowed to upload a modified version when you want, also, you can post here a link for your version too.

And, looks like the SC2 version is going to take a long time to come up, since I still don't got my new pc, and don't even played SC2 yet. haha..