• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What is the best method for string work?

Level 8
According to my shallow experience, it is possible to localize the maps by exporting wts file, modifying it, and re-inserting it.
But the strings used for trigger's dialogues or character names, etc., don't seem to be included in that wts of the Export Map String. So are they meaning that is included in the extraction of the trigger script in the map?
If they do so, my maps have scripts much, I guess it won't give a good working condition to me or other translators in the future.

I've experimentally tried putting all the strings together in a trigger as the follow. I want to know if this is the best option and if this is at risk of causing other errors. (I wonder if there are any limit on the creation of variables)
717.jpg

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Dealing with Strings in GUI is a nightmare. I would write all of this in Jass/Lua code then you could probably have ChatGPT translate it for you. Then you could just copy and paste the code or make a system for automating that process.

Plus you could have an easier to use system in GUI, removing tons of bloat:
  • Set Variable Dialogue_Unit = Anubis
  • Trigger - Run Get Dialogue Text For Unit (ignoring conditions)
  • Game - Display to (All players) for 30.00 seconds the text: Dialogue_Text[1]
  • Game - Display to (All players) for 30.00 seconds the text: Dialogue_Text[2]
At least if you can't get something else to work...

Last edited: