• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What is reputation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I'm not sure if you actually are saying/suggesting something, or just want to tag along. Sorry.
Sorry for being unclear.

I mean we could still keep the current system, 100% as it is, but prevent users from seeing others' reputation points.

This wouldn't affect mods, mods/admins/higher ranked could still see the reputation points just as usual, give reputation just as usual and stuff like that.

Normal users could still give rep, the same amount they could give as at the moment they do, but they couldn't see others' rep.

You could figure out others' rep range, e.g. if they only can give you one point per rep, they have less than 200 rep and 1500 posts, but that's not the point, the point is to make everyone more equal in eyes of other users. Your capabilities are not limited to the orange/green in your rep bar, marvelous example is BPower when he was pro jasser on orange.

So hiding others' rep makes community more equal :p *insert new rainbow here*

Now if you wonder whether this has anything in relation to your concern about rep's misusage, let's just say it wouldn't bother you as much anymore as you couldn't see golden / white gems on people who have 0 resources here ;)

I don't like writing this much usually, but I wanted you to understand my point..

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Really thought-provoking discussion going on here.

Part of issue with any system involving attempts to restrict certain behaviors is that it's essentially impossible. No one can create code that will legitimately determine whether a point of Reputation was given "thoughtfully" or not (i.e. spreading, spamming, etc). You can require a Comment, or limit the amount of times they do it (<-already in place), ... But human's will beat out AI anyday. : )

I don't mind getting rid of Rep, as long as their's a way to receive thoughtful praise for my do-goodery. I almost don't mind the "hidden Rep" idea (though sometimes I use that to find someone I don't know on the Members List, lol).

GhostWolf said:
Why does this thread keep appearing all the time?
I'm not sure how to respond to this question, and while not really rhetorical I guess you are not expecting an answer.

But I'll try a short one anyway.
Because it would be nice if reputation actually meant something. If it doesn't mean anything, why does it exist at all?

Kyrbi0 said:
Really thought-provoking discussion going on here.

Part of issue with any system involving attempts to restrict certain behaviors is that it's essentially impossible. No one can create code that will legitimately determine whether a point of Reputation was given "thoughtfully" or not (i.e. spreading, spamming, etc). You can require a Comment, or limit the amount of times they do it (<-already in place), ... But human's will beat out AI anyday. : )

I don't mind getting rid of Rep, as long as their's a way to receive thoughtful praise for my do-goodery. I almost don't mind the "hidden Rep" idea (though sometimes I use that to find someone I don't know on the Members List, lol).

You're right. No matter the system it will be able to be abused some way or another. The trick must be to make it not worth spending time on abusing.
I would like to circle back to the point of reputation being for people contributing material to the site.
And to be honest I think the download count of a user's resources could be used to achieve some kind of meaningful reputation system.
The current reputation system can stay as it is then, so that will lessen the work involved.

jondrean said:
I mean we could still keep the current system, 100% as it is, but prevent users from seeing others' reputation points.

This wouldn't affect mods, mods/admins/higher ranked could still see the reputation points just as usual, give reputation just as usual and stuff like that.

Normal users could still give rep, the same amount they could give as at the moment they do, but they couldn't see others' rep.

In a way I see your point.
But the very nature of reputation is to be seen by other users. To "show off" or to indicate what a user's standing is.
If reputation would only be visible to the single user it would be pointless. Why have a diamond tiara if no one is ever going to see it besides you?
Furthermore we already have this in the current system. Disable reputation.
The reason why only a minority has it disabled is because it matters to most of the rest of the users (in some way or another). Which leads me to the conclusion that scrapping reputation altogether is not a good idea.

Level 34
Why does this thread keep appearing all the time?
Because rep is really important.

I would like to say that I really like having the rep system in that I can reply or comment on a post without simply making a new post in the thread. I often use rep to say something to a user in regards to his or her post privately.

In fact, I want to be able to do that in off-topic. Can we re-enable rep in off-topic? Can the system be altered so that 0 rep is given, but you can leave comments in off-topic?

Or, even better perhaps, can we have a button that would send a message to their profile wall and leave a link to their post for context?

Sorry for being unclear.

You could figure out others' rep range, e.g. if they only can give you one point per rep, they have less than 200 rep and 1500 posts, but that's not the point, the point is to make everyone more equal in eyes of other users. Your capabilities are not limited to the orange/green in your rep bar, marvelous example is BPower when he was pro jasser on orange.

So hiding others' rep makes community more equal :p *insert new rainbow here*

Now if you wonder whether this has anything in relation to your concern about rep's misusage, let's just say it wouldn't bother you as much anymore as you couldn't see golden / white gems on people who have 0 resources here ;)

I don't like writing this much usually, but I wanted you to understand my point..

Perhaps a viable solution for the issue.

This way, users can't get their ego too high (as only receiver can accumulate the reputation power of the sender).

------------------------

Alright, here's my opinion : I think the current one is fine, however, Rui + jondrean (1 Rep + unseen to other users) could be useful solution to the issue.

Oh yeah, about the gems, it's almost impossible to receive gold/white gems without resources as stated by jondrean.

For most part Model and Icon Makers have tendency to receive reps more than Helpers, Helpers have tendency to get more than Spell Makers. You can figure it out yourself :)

Also, Rep Spreading is an issue, many information I have collected states it was due to limitation of repping a person, but if limit is removed it will might cause more issues than it worth.

About 0 Rep in off-topic, I guess it's fine, as it allows some grey gems for collection :p and in fact it doesn't influence users rep amount directly anyway.

Yeah I bet gray / orange (/ green) gemed people wanna show off their rank.

Yes. I agree.

I can understand if you're against my suggestion about equality.

If you insist on bending my words and taking points out of context then you're right.

Vengeancekael said:
Wait is part of the reason as to why this is being discussed again the fact that people who help out in the WEHZ/T&S forums get less recognition than people who post resources/are generally active in other forums?

Hm no. Help zones are a gray area. But I'm sure you know, after reading the thread, that the point is to make reputation resemble a user's actual contribution to the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.