• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

About reputation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
I found out it was rather annoying for a user to be able to give reputation without the capability to adjust the amount of reputation they given to a user.

I gives 2 reputation to user at 1 go. However, why not enable a normal user like me and the others that are capable to give 2 reputation and above to adjust the amount we could gives?

For example, a post or resources by user xxx deserve 1 reputation and I could give them exactly 1 reputation instead of 2 or above depends on my current reputation.

Level 6
This is a strange topic for the Hives; but I find it kind of funny, so I'm going to give all of you rep for posting. LOL!!!

Reactions: HFR
Level 31
Oh, it seems you don't know after all.

Rep means nothing, full stop.

Dude, even if it means nothing; it is ridiculous for user to give a extremely high amount of rep.

Rep means nothing, but it could also serve as warning as well. If a person had been punish with -2 reputation, he could earn 4 reputation if somebody that are capable to give 4 reputation came in and give it all the sudden.

This resulted into the punish person never learn from their mistake.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Rep means nothing, but it could also serve as warning as well. If a person had been punish with -2 reputation, he could earn 4 reputation if somebody that are capable to give 4 reputation came in and give it all the sudden.

This resulted into the punish person never learn from their mistake.

Wrong, because the user will keep repeating the same mistake over and over, as he didn't learned and even gained some free rep. This will eventualy lead to some red gems or ban.

Level 11
The right use is to give a user a little reward for something good he did, like an excelent resource, or helping somebody out in the WE help zone. I do disagree with rep parties, and other non-sense(*cough* FrIkY *cough*). For me its also a 'lil about teh friendly message

EDIT: 500th post, Yeeeeeeeeeeeh

Level 13
Nothing is going to change about the rep system because we have better things to do at the moment.

Really, stop caring.

I wonder what these things are.

Anyways... beeing redundant, I say once more that rep means nothing. Why? Because people just give it out for every second somehow amusing thing you come up to. How do I know? I've never uploaded a resource (except a crappy terrain of mine long ago)... and guess what? I have more than 150 rep. Reputation has lost it's value (if it had any) and now has just become a senseless treat between users, like little candies that children give to other children. But hey, people like to give and get reputation, and user relations are easily improved by handing-out rep. "Hey, this guy gave me rep, he must be nice!" and so on. So, my points against any change in the rep system are:
  1. No one gives a shit about it.
  2. It is fun.
  3. It helps users to get along better.
  4. It allows some users to live up to their ego when everything else fails, with amusing results.
  5. And remember, removing the rep system is like taking candy from a child. And we do not want that, do we? (I mean the moans, cries and general drama that will follow...)

Level 31
You keep contradicting yourself. If it means nothing it's not ridiculous. If it actually does mean something then it is ridiculous.

1) This is a site discussion section and users are welcome to make a suggestions even if the suggestion could give a minor improvement or extremely small amount of benefict to the users. After all, the site discussion forum clearly written this.

Discuss The Hive Workshop's content, features and files. Comment on our style, explore the site's possibilities or suggest improvements!

2) Contradict or not, it was a suggestion.

3) My suggestion does not need to please anybody, but the webmaster itself. If Ralle think it could be helpful even by little, he would add it.

I think the reason we should not allow users to distribute the amount of reputation they want is obvious and clear for everybody: it will be used the wrong way.

As Ash said, how can it be abuse when there is a limit for it?

Min - 1 reputation (0 if your reputation was below 0)
Max - Depends on the amount you could dish.

Anyways... beeing redundant, I say once more that rep means nothing. Why? Because people just give it out for every second somehow amusing thing you come up to. How do I know? I've never uploaded a resource (except a crappy terrain of mine long ago)... and guess what? I have more than 150 rep. Reputation has lost it's value (if it had any) and now has just become a senseless treat between users, like little candies that children give to other children. But hey, people like to give and get reputation, and user relations are easily improved by handing-out rep. "Hey, this guy gave me rep, he must be nice!" and so on. So, my points against any change in the rep system are:

1) I did not suggest it to be remove.
2) I suggest it to have a system that allowed user to use it at the right way, for those who want to use it at the right way; then they could use it.

Level 6
Well, this sucks! I've given out too much rep in 24 hours, so I have to wait a while to give out more. So, sorry if I missed any of you.

Level 27
-.- is this thread turning into some rep party?
Generally, when people talk about rep, people remember to give rep.

I'd like to revoke my previous question. Instead I ask this:
What do we want rep to mean?

I use it as a way to post a post to another post. I've had the urge rep a rep comment before. It just makes it a little more interesting to add arbitrary value to it. :D

Level 31
I agree. I am a newbie and i think that rep may be an obstacle to newbies like me when loading up a map or spells or stuff like that, since people may think "wtf a newbie? that must be bad stuff".
But on the other hand, i am not on THW for long time so maybe i am wrong about it.

1) How can it be a obstacle? As long as you follow the submission rules, there is nothing wrong with it.

The main reason why newbie always receive the message "Please follow the submission rules" or "omg, it sucks" is not because of their reputation, but is because they do not bother to read the rules.

Reputation have no connection about this.

2) Please do not off-topic, this topic is to discuss about implementing a system that enable user to give the amount of reputation according to their own way; not to discuss on how reputation effect a person.

Level 35
To me rep is my personal archieve, where I can go and look at what I helped people with or similar. Kinda like my hive history or whatever. I also use it as a way to get knowledge about others (following the rep' posts around)

So I agree wholeheartly to the suggestion some pages ago about having all rep you gotten shown in profile.

Therefor the suggestion for having a choice of how much rep you give would be nice, if you do just want to show you liked something.. On the other hand though its not really a problem, and the purpose of rep doesn't suffer from people giving more then one rep (as it mostly sensible users which have that "give more then one rep" problem (if its a problem)).

So per conclusion: Would be a nice add, but no harm done if it wasnt implanted.

Level 17
I'd say, keep it as it is. If someone can give 5 rep and wants to give me rep, i get 5 insted of one, isnt that awesome?! O.O
lul.
It took some time before anyone even mentioned this. I have been wondering about this for a while. (even though i only can give one rep.)

People should be able to choose how much rep they wants to give, its for gods sake they that give out the rep.

But well.. I dont get the point of rep. Maybe it makes newbies on the site to feel better and proud or something. But when you have been here for a while it almost gets annoying sometimes when you see peoples profiles and they have rep that they did not deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.