• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WC3 Download Archive (1.00 - 1.31.1 + BETA & DEMO)

Level 2
Hi everyone, am trying to download any of the above 1.28 versions of the game so I can play custom campaigns, the problem is each time I download the game contains only Reign of chaos and not The frozen throne ? am I missing something ?

Level 29
Hi everyone, am trying to download any of the above 1.28 versions of the game so I can play custom campaigns, the problem is each time I download the game contains only Reign of chaos and not The frozen throne ? am I missing something ?
Latest patches of Classic Warcraft III have merged both ROC and TFT into one client. The same thing applies to the World Editor. They also changed its executable files for the Game and Editor, which is the original executables for old ROC (Warcraft III.exe and World Editor.exe).
In other words, running "Warcraft III.exe" (the one with Orc icon) will always start TFT. However, you can still launch ROC by clicking on a small icon next to "Single Player" button (see image below). The ROC will load and the small icon next to "Single Player" button will become Arthas instead of Orc, which loads TFT.
You can also edit the Registry to specify which game clients you wish to load when you start "Warcraft III.exe". It's called "Preferred Game Version", which is located in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III" (see image below). "1" is for TFT and "0" is for ROC.

Attachments

• Reign of Chaos Shortcut.png
    Reign of Chaos Shortcut.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Preferred Game Version.jpg
    Preferred Game Version.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 60
Level 3
Hello people, got a problem over here...

I downloaded the version 1.29 and add some Custom Campaigns but when i start the game and try to play them, but i (or the game) dont see them, its like that he dont recognize the files i am doing something wrong?...

Level 17
Hello people, got a problem over here...

I downloaded the version 1.29 and add some Custom Campaigns but when i start the game and try to play them, i (or the game) dont see them, its like that he dont recognize the files i am doing something wrong?...
1.29, and all of the versions here, is old, if the campaign was made for a newer version it won't show up at all; also did you put it in Documents\Warcraft III\Campaigns, or the old path (1.28+ doesn't use it)

Level 3
1.29, and all of the versions here, is old, if the campaign was made for a newer version it won't show up at all; also did you put it in Documents\Warcraft III\Campaigns, or the old path (1.28+ doesn't use it)
Yeah i put the files in the Warcraft III Documents location but nothing... so i have to upgrade to 1.30 or Downgrade to 1.28?

Level 17
Yeah i put the files in the Warcraft III Documents location but nothing... so i have to upgrade to 1.30 or Downgrade to 1.28?
Upgrade to the version the campaign was made for, it should say on its page, otherwise 1.31.1 is the latest you can get from here (you may just need to download the latest version officially, 1.36 or whichever it is, Reforged menu and all)

Level 3
Oddly enough the Map says to use 1.29 or better to run the Campaign unless of course the owner never update the info...

Level 17
Oddly enough the Map says to use 1.29 or better to run the Campaign unless of course the owner never update the info...
You say map now, are you sure those are w3n (custom campaign files) and not w3m or w3x (custom map files);
either way, this isn't for this thread, feel free to write a message on my profile if you need further assistance

Level 3
In the 1.29 there is only one, the one with the orc face, when i enter i changed to TFT, and yeah the extension of the file is w3n...

Level 29
I downloaded the version 1.29 and add some Custom Campaigns but when i start the game and try to play them, but i (or the game) dont see them, its like that he dont recognize the files i am doing something wrong?...
First off all, which campaigns in question that you caused a big trouble? Are you sure those are meant to be played in 1.29.2?
Please consider upgrading your game version, as Bogdan suggested. Some campaigns are only meant to be playable on higher versions. You can also go straight to the Reforged (1.36), which still has the Custom Campaigns. It's NOT even necessary to unlock the Reforged graphics, as most custom campaigns are made in the SD assets.
And remember to search before you post. There are plenty tricks that teach you how to make those missing campaigns on the selection list or even the "Just Another Warcraft III Campaign" black screen errors not appear when you select it.

In the 1.29 there is only one, the one with the orc face, when i enter i changed to TFT, and yeah the extension of the file is w3n...
Your game MUST be TFT if you want Custom Campaigns. You can switch to the ROC (follow my post above; there's a detailed instructions, along with the two images being attached in that post), but you can't play most of the custom maps and campaigns that are made exclusively in TFT.
As for the w3n, it has to be placed in "Documents\Warcraft III\Campaigns" (or the game root itself for pre-1.28).

Level 1
Please consider upgrading your game version, as Bogdan suggested. Some campaigns are only meant to be playable on higher versions. You can also go straight to the Reforged (1.36), which still has the Custom Campaigns. It's NOT even necessary to unlock the Reforged graphics, as most custom campaigns are made in the SD assets.
This for me is not clear at 100%.
For example, I'm using my 1.36 Reforged copy to play WCS and W3RR.
But I'm also using the same copy to play Legends of Arkain and, besides the 1.29 as recommended version, for now I don't find issues in playing it (just one building not showing up in the firs mission).
So my question is: for playing all the custom campaign for Warcraft 3 I have to install multiple version of the Classic Edition or I can continue with the only official release?

Level 21
But I'm also using the same copy to play Legends of Arkain and, besides the 1.29 as recommended version, for now I don't find issues in playing it (just one building not showing up in the firs mission).
So my question is: for playing all the custom campaign for Warcraft 3 I have to install multiple version of the Classic Edition or I can continue with the only official release?
The more the merrier, tis what I say!

Level 29
You can have many Warcraft 3 versions on one computer. It doesn't matter if it's Classic (no Reforged) or Reforged.
However, if you still decide to play both Classic and Reforged, you must install the Classic version on a separate folders. Inside the Battle.net application, there seems to be an option in which you can choose the place Warcraft 3 (Reforged) is installed. Make sure it points to the Reforged ones.

In this thread, you should get the files for your preferred version in the "Game Files" section (not the "Installers").
After that, extract the content in a separate folder, then start either game or WE using these ways (this is for 1.31.1):
For Game: Warcraft III\x86_x64\Warcraft III.exe.
For WE: Warcraft III\x86_x64\World Editor.exe.
Don't use any other methods for launching the game or else the Battle.net will keep updating your game to Reforged.

However, this presents issues with registries, especially WE. To have both working WEs on Reforged and Classic, you need to delete the "Tool Window" item under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\WorldEdit".

I personally suggest to keep a copy of the original game (that doesn't use the new battle net).
Having an old patch like 1.21b for the vanilla campaigns and a newer one such as 1.29.2 or 1.31 for custom campaigns/maps.
In my opinion, sticking to ROC 1.00 (and TFT 1.07) is the ONLY best solution if you want full vanilla campaign experience. The only downward is that you won't be able to play the two chapters of Bonus Orc Campaign on TFT, which was added in 1.13 (I think), and that version, in turn, has a bug where all of your playable characters from the previous chapter will have a slow attack rate that limits your campaign progress (unless you have some items that can counter this issues, like the Gloves of Haste item).

If you stick to ROC 1.00 only (without TFT 1.07), there were a big differences regarding this matter in this thread below:

Asking for the newer one (for custom campaigns/maps), 1.31 is prone for numerous bugs. You won't be able to save your progress because there's a glitch where all of the important triggers (particularly, the Generic Unit Event) were broken upon loading your saves. Also, if you attempt to start the next chapter by clicking "OK" on the post-game screen (after clicking "Continue" button), the game will lock-up with the infamous black screen loop, at which you are forced to kill the game by restarting the PC. I found out that clicking on "Quit Campaign" button after completing each chapters will solve this issue, but it turns out that the same problem happened when you attempt to end the skirmish game by not using the "Quit Game" (instead of "Exit Game", which is basically an "Alt+F4" thing) that leads you into, you guessed it, a post-game screen (where the "OK" button is bugged).

In fact, you can still play some custom campaigns/maps on 1.29.2 or 1.30, which doesn't include any bugs from 1.31 (nor even the new features, like Ritual Dagger item). It's still a good option for enjoying the custom campaigns/maps, though.

Level 21
You can have many Warcraft 3 versions on one computer. It doesn't matter if it's Classic (no Reforged) or Reforged.
However, if you still decide to play both Classic and Reforged, you must install the Classic version on a separate folders. Inside the Battle.net application, there seems to be an option in which you can choose the place Warcraft 3 (Reforged) is installed. Make sure it points to the Reforged ones.

In this thread, you should get the files for your preferred version in the "Game Files" section (not the "Installers").
After that, extract the content in a separate folder, then start either game or WE using these ways (this is for 1.31.1):
For Game: Warcraft III\x86_x64\Warcraft III.exe.
For WE: Warcraft III\x86_x64\World Editor.exe.
Don't use any other methods for launching the game or else the Battle.net will keep updating your game to Reforged.

However, this presents issues with registries, especially WE. To have both working WEs on Reforged and Classic, you need to delete the "Tool Window" item under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\WorldEdit".

In my opinion, sticking to ROC 1.00 (and TFT 1.07) is the ONLY best solution if you want full vanilla campaign experience. The only downward is that you won't be able to play the two chapters of Bonus Orc Campaign on TFT, which was added in 1.13 (I think), and that version, in turn, has a bug where all of your playable characters from the previous chapter will have a slow attack rate that limits your campaign progress (unless you have some items that can counter this issues, like the Gloves of Haste item).

If you stick to ROC 1.00 only (without TFT 1.07), there were a big differences regarding this matter in this thread below:

Asking for the newer one (for custom campaigns/maps), 1.31 is prone for numerous bugs. You won't be able to save your progress because there's a glitch where all of the important triggers (particularly, the Generic Unit Event) were broken upon loading your saves. Also, if you attempt to start the next chapter by clicking "OK" on the post-game screen (after clicking "Continue" button), the game will lock-up with the infamous black screen loop, at which you are forced to kill the game by restarting the PC. I found out that clicking on "Quit Campaign" button after completing each chapters will solve this issue, but it turns out that the same problem happened when you attempt to end the skirmish game by not using the "Quit Game" (instead of "Exit Game", which is basically an "Alt+F4" thing) that leads you into, you guessed it, a post-game screen (where the "OK" button is bugged).

In fact, you can still play some custom campaigns/maps on 1.29.2 or 1.30, which doesn't include any bugs from 1.31 (nor even the new features, like Ritual Dagger item). It's still a good option for enjoying the custom campaigns/maps, though.
Wow, let me test the HKEY_CURRENT_USER thing right away!

But yeah, I did not say patch 1.00 since I (maybe wrongly) assumed that he does not have a physical copy of the game.

Edit: oh wow! It works! So if you open the WE on patch 1.36 for example and then want to open the WE on patch 1.29.2 (the one I tested on), you just have to delete the Tools Window each time before you open the WE on that non-reforged patch (1.29) IF you have opened the WE on a reforged patch (1.36).
I used to delete the whole World Editor folder but just deleting the Tools Window will do the job!

Last edited:
Thanks for this! Should be put in the original post :)

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Thanks for this! Should be put in the original post :)
What of these?