• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft Movie Comic-Con Exclusive Footage Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like someone said in the youtube comments:

She thinks she is half-orc, half-human, but it might be revealed in the movie that she is actually half-orc, half-draenei.
Which is still illogical as hell, because before the orcs went through the dark portal, they didn't even know humans exist. So how could she even think that, considering orcs know that Draenai exist, but don't know that humans exist? Did she consider herself a regular orc before meeting the humans the first time? And even so, how could she even think about being half-human even after the first contact, when the first ever contact happened long after her birth? Is she a time traveller?

No matter what; Garona being half-human would make zero sense, even for herself to consider. The movie better has a good explanation for that if they ever mention her human heritage. It's just dumb. They better just call her half-orc and be done with it. Let the fans interpret into her other half whatever they want.

Franchise noobs will think she's half human. Warcraft nerds will consider her half-draenei. Everyone wins.

Which is one reason for her to start doubting what she knows from Gul'dan.

And she does know she's a halfbreed - she is addressed as such in the footage, I think in a scene where the portal is still being built.
Unless Gul'dan himself brought a human mother through the dark portal long before it was built, there is no questioning her being half-draenei.

Then again, on the Comic Con press interview, her actress already talked about that she had to play a half-orc-half-human that is torn between both worlds... so I really wonder how they are going to resolve this giant plothole.

About the green orc being Grom: Not likely. Grom and Thrall should be around the same age, after all and Thrall hasn't even been born yet.

Level 18
Uh, no, Garrosh and Thrall are roughly the same age, actually Garrosh is a bit older. Grom is in his prime during the first war.

Garona's story in the comic was that she was aged up by magic. If that's true in the film, Gul'dan would have left her with no memories of her past and that would leave her very easy to convince that yes, somehow she's half-human.

I do believe she's half-draenei, the question is how Dan has brainwashed her into thinking she's half-human. And the revelation of her origin might be a turning point in her plotline, as stated below.

Or maybe... hey, remember how Medivh was in a 20-year coma? Perhaps Sargeras then took over and communicated with the orcs through Kil'jaeden. He showed humans to Gul'dan who then implanted false memories in Garona's head...

Various accounts have the orc-draenei war take place roughly a decade before the portal's opening. I bet it's a longer gap in the film. In Rise of the Horde, Orgrim and Durotan were boys when the war began. In the movie, the portal construction starts and they look like they're in their mid-30s. So enough time for a draenei female to be captured and used by Gul'dan to give birth to Garona, so maybe no need to age her up. And by then Gul'dan would have known what humans are like.

Level 39
Well, she can't really be half-human when we clearly see her before the Dark Portal has ever been opened.

In Rise of the Horde, Orgrim and Durotan were boys when the war began. In the movie, the portal construction starts and they look like they're in their mid-30s.

No, in Rise of The Horde Orgim and Durotan are adults when the war starts. Durotan is chieftain of the Frostwolves and Orgim has inherited the Doomhammer.

Various accounts have the orc-draenei war take place roughly a decade before the portal's opening. I bet it's a longer gap in the film. In Rise of the Horde, Orgrim and Durotan were boys when the war began. In the movie, the portal construction starts and they look like they're in their mid-30s. So enough time for a draenei female to be captured and used by Gul'dan to give birth to Garona, so maybe no need to age her up. And by then Gul'dan would have known what humans are like.
Definitely. I mean it makes absolutely sense for her to be half-draenei. After all, Draenei are already confirmed to be in the movie (as you see Guldan taking their souls to open the portal).
What I don't understand is why they would go the extra mile to pretend she is half-human then? Unless we are a victim of bad trailer cutting here and Garona does not appear before the portal has actually been opened...

Level 18
If she presents herself as half-human, she'll be more capable of invoking empathy from the likes of Khadgar, Lothar and LlI|ane. And Gul'dan is just brainwashing for security purposes - if she actually believes it, she herself will seek to bond with humans.

And as for the other orcs, I doubt they care at all what her other half is. She's a halfbreed and that's all that matters to them. They don't talk much to her either, so it's unlikely anyone would mention to her that she's a half-draenei.

I bet Paula Patton does know Garona's true parentage but is under orders not to spoil.

@Outsider: Oops, my bad. But the first meeting of Orgrim and Durotan with the draenei happened while they were in their adolescence, I must've mixed that up with the start of the war.

Actors always have a task to research their character before given role, It wasn't a blind audition. I think she did read into the character she auditioned or was auditioned for, Paula Patton specifically said that Garona was half-human.

There is nothing to hide here, this movie is already a huge spoiler because we know Warcraft lore.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
They said they won't make a Warcraft movie with all four races from WcIII as not to make the movie too similar to Lord of the Rings. So their idea was that a remake of Warcraft I would be better/more original than the LotR-like thing.

Level 39
They said they won't make a Warcraft movie with all four races from WcIII as not to make the movie too similar to Lord of the Rings. So their idea was that a remake of Warcraft I would be better/more original than the LotR-like thing.

The funny thing about that is that the Night Elves and Undead are some of the few things in Warcraft that are not that similar to LotR.

I had mentioned in my older thread about lore. Warcraft 3 is entirely inspired by Warhammer franchise. It also takes some of the plot platforms from Starcraft and games around that time 1996-2003.

Sylvanas is Kerrigan.
Tyranids (Warhammer 40k) are zerg.
Chaos (Warhammer) is Burning Legion ect...

Warcraft 3 franchise is basically just reshaped and reinstated franchise using many of the previous parts and stories. Most of the original work from Warcraft came during the creation of Warcraft 3, the lore began to expand into a huge universe.

Level 39
I had mentioned in my older thread about lore. Warcraft 3 is entirely inspired by Warhammer franchise. It also takes some of the plot platforms from Starcraft and games around that time 1996-2003.

Sylvanas is Kerrigan.
Tyranids (Warhammer 40k) are zerg.
Chaos (Warhammer) is Burning Legion ect...

Warcraft 3 franchise is basically just reshaped and reinstated franchise using many of the previous parts and stories.

Afaik, Warcraft was originally gonna be a Warhammer game. Hence the similarities. I could be wrong though.

But still, anything they stole from Warhammer was probably originally thought up by Tolkien anyway. Guy pretty much made the standard for the entire genre.

Level 39
Since when has any similarity to Peter Jackson's films stopped a fantasy film from being made? Yes, Warcraft mixes traditional fantasy concepts, adds some twists and voila. People want to see exactly that.

Pretty much. Being similar to a succesful franchise doesn't hurt the film in any way.

Hell, the most succesful movie of all time is just a modern rehash of Pocahontas.

Level 18
Pretty much. Being similar to a succesful franchise doesn't hurt the film in any way.

Hell, the most succesful movie of all time is just a modern rehash of Pocahontas.

Exactly. While I was watching Avatar, I was like: "Lol zerg rush. Lol AT-ST. Lol draenei/protoss. Lol tree of life. Lol Pocahontas."

And look at the box office. Also, while Avatar was stand-alone, Warcraft has 4 successful games at its back, not counting Hearthstone. The particular blend of fantasy elements is recognizable enough to not consider it a LOTR ripoff even with treants and doom guards. Also, Warcraft's style has been established well enough to be different from LOTR imagery.

Though Blizzard got many of its ideas directly from LOTR, doom guards and treants were names balrogs and ents in War3 alpha. The treant model is still named GoodEnt.mdx.

I think the critical difference between Warcraft and Lord of the Rings is, that Warcraft goes beyond the typical black and white mentality.

Orcs are not nameless monsters, but actual characters with personality and soul.
Undead (at least the forgotten ones) are not nameless generic monsters, they have leaders and an agenda.
Nightelves, while still being treehuggers at first sight have some pretty cool twists to them with their attachment to the moon and night and the split society between patriachaic organized druids and matriachaic hunters.
I think the only race that is pretty generic in WoW aside from humans are the dwarves. But damn; why not? Dwarves have always been the coolest motherfuckers in fantasy stories anyway.

Warcraft is not more a rip-off of Tolkien than any other fantasy story ever. And Warcraft's characters have a lot more soul and personality than any of the one-dimensional Tolkien characters.

Funny thing is; I never regarded Avatar a Pocahontas rip-off, but a carbon copy of "Dances with wolves". You know, the white man comes to claim the land of the natives...
But now that you mention it; yeah; I guess Pocahontas was a rip-off of that movie aswell. ;)

Level 39
I think the critical difference between Warcraft and Lord of the Rings is, that Warcraft goes beyond the typical black and white mentality.

Orcs are not nameless monsters, but actual characters with personality and soul.
Undead (at least the forgotten ones) are not nameless generic monsters, they have leaders and an agenda.
Nightelves, while still being treehuggers at first sight have some pretty cool twists to them with their attachment to the moon and night and the split society between patriachaic organized druids and matriachaic hunters.
I think the only race that is pretty generic in WoW aside from humans are the dwarves. But damn; why not? Dwarves have always been the coolest motherfuckers in fantasy stories anyway.

Warcraft is not more a rip-off of Tolkien than any other fantasy story ever. And Warcraft's characters have a lot more soul and personality than any of the one-dimensional Tolkien characters.

I disagree completely that Tolkien's works are anywhere near black-and-white. Other than Sauron and the Orcs, there are very few 100% evil characters in LotR. There are plenty of rich, flawed and multi-dimensional characters in Tolkien's universe. Saruman, Denethor, Boromir, Grima Wormtongue, Theoden, Thorin Oakenshield, Gandalf etc etc. The list goes on.

Calling Tolkien's characters one-dimensional is a pretty ridiculous notion to me.

Yeah, Sauron is the ultimate evil. But he's not anymore one-dimensional than Kil'jaeden, Archimonde, Mannoroth, Tichondrius or even Sargeras. Warcraft is filled with these 'ultimate evil' type one-dimensional characters. Much more than LotR. You only notice it more in LotR because of the way Orcs are portrayed I guess. Just think of them like the Scourge from Warcraft, they are basically slaves to Saurons will.

Warcraft is also filled with Mary Sues (Rhonin, Turalyon, Green Jesus etc), which is hard to find in LotR.

Arthas is an example of a well-written character in Warcraft. A tragic hero. But LotR has these as well. Saruman and Denethor are two obvious examples.
But even better is Boromir. This noble and couragous heir to the Throne gets corrupted by an evil magical artifact in his quest to save his people. Sound familiar?

Many of the original characters in Warcraft are inspired in some way by Tolkien's works, and that's not even mentioning the obvious inspirations from the world he created.

Hey, I love Warcraft lore as much as the next guy.. but compared to Tolkien's works, it's child's play.

And no it's not a rip-off. But it is HEAVILY inspired by LotR. Just like pretty much every other Fantasy game/movie/book today. Not saying that it's a bad thing, but Tolkien should still get acknowledged for that achievement.

Funny thing is; I never regarded Avatar a Pocahontas rip-off, but a carbon copy of "Dances with wolves". You know, the white man comes to claim the land of the natives...
But now that you mention it; yeah; I guess Pocahontas was a rip-off of that movie aswell. ;)

Yeah, basically the same story. Pocahontas was a real person though :p

Last edited:
I disagree completely that Tolkien's works are anywhere near black-and-white. Other than Sauron and the Orcs, there are very few 100% evil characters in LotR. There are plenty of rich, flawed and multi-dimensional characters in Tolkien's universe. Saruman, Denethor, Boromir, Grima Wormtongue, Theoden, Thorin Oakenshield, Gandalf etc etc. The list goes on.
Well... that's in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I read the books and I never considered Saruman, Gandalf, Theoden or Boromir anything else but one-dimensional. There was absolutely nothing in these characters that wasn't perfectly obvious right from the start. There was no twist or character developement happening for any of these characters.
Especially in case of Boromir, who blatantly states at the second they hire him that he wants to use the ring for his people. Why would you even let someone like him travel with you in the first place, knowing about the corrupting powers of the artifact?

Which is fine, I guess. After all, Tolkien more or less "invented" these fantasy tropes, so there's no need to blame him for being... trope-y as hell.
I'm just evaluating this from a modern perspective. LotR just wouldn't live up to present-day standards if we compare it to newer releases. It was genius for it's time, though.

Calling Tolkien's characters one-dimensional is a pretty ridiculous notion to me.
Again, I'm judging this from a present-day perspective.

Yeah, Sauron is the ultimate evil. But he's not anymore one-dimensional than Kil'jaeden, Archimonde, Mannoroth, Tichondrius or even Sargeras. Warcraft is filled with these 'ultimate evil' type one-dimensional characters. Much more than LotR. You only notice it more in LotR because of the way Orcs are portrayed I guess. Just think of them like the Scourge from Warcraft, they are basically slaves to Saurons will.
I was never talking about Sauron; since Sauron is not really a character (and so are Kil-jaeden, Archimonde or Mannoroth). Granted, they all have a physical form, but they are more what I would consider a "force of nature" than a character. Kind of an obstacle or plot device for the heroes to overcome, not a true character you can actually explore.

Warcraft is also filled with Mary Sues (Rhonin, Turalyon, Green Jesus etc), which is hard to find in LotR.
True indeed. Then again, in any store with more than 10 characters, you'll eventually find a Mary Sue if you look hard enough. People tend to scream "Mary Sue!" immediately nowadays when a character is simply lawful-good by design or the creator's pet character.

Even in franchises that are critically acclaimed for their diverse and unique characters like Harry Potter, you'll find Mary Sues if you break it down too hard (Even Dumbledore qualifies as a Mary Sue when you think about it).

Arthas is an example of a well-written character in Warcraft. A tragic hero. But LotR has these as well. Saruman and Denethor are two obvious examples.
But even better is Boromir. This noble and couragous heir to the Throne gets corrupted by an evil magical artifact in his quest to save his people. Sound familiar?
If we break it down hard enough, then both Arthas and Boromir are basicly just a play on the ring of the nibelungs.

Many of the original characters in Warcraft are inspired in some way by Tolkien's works, and that's not even mentioning the obvious inspirations from the world he created.

Hey, I love Warcraft lore as much as the next guy.. but compared to Tolkien's works, it's child's play.

And no it's not a rip-off. But it is HEAVILY inspired by LotR. Just like pretty much every other Fantasy game/movie/book today. Not saying that it's a bad thing, but Tolkien should still get acknowledged for that achievement.
Nobody denies Tolkien of his achievement...
LotR basicly created the fantasy genre we know today (if we count out the bible or Homer's odyssey, that is). It's just that it won't hold up to modern standards anymore - especially when it comes to the depiction of female characters or overall character developement.

And this is what I think multi-dimensionalism is about, not neccesarily the trope they play on. It's important to see how the characters actually progress through their hardships; and while Thrall might be one of the more one-sided characters here (as you brought up the "green jesus" thing), we have characters like Sylvanas on the other side, who had plenty of developement in her story and actually multiple points of interest along the road. Illidan is also pretty interesting; as he has many roads to go throughout his story (his love and obedience towards Tyrande, despite her obvious hostility against him, his inner demons corrupting him, his hate-love for his sworn enemy Arthas, etc.).

Yeah, basically the same story. Pocahontas was a real person though :p
I guess somewhere in the universe, a thrall could exist. We just haven't found Draenor yet... ;)

Maybe there already exists Orcs? Maybe scientists are researching and experimenting on human embryos to create human hybrid that resembles orcs. A super soldier created by top secret government. As far as I know, human-animal hybrids have been conducted in England, but the law was that they were supposed to be terminated after one 3 or 6 days. I don't even want to know what goes on in US. - Source

We just don't know. Just imagine an intelligent species of dogs or cats that have the proportions of humans.. Creepy.

Maybe there already exists Orcs? Maybe scientists are researching and experimenting on human embryos to create human hybrid that resembles orcs. A super soldier created by top secret government. As far as I know, human-animal hybrids have been conducted in England, but the law was that they were supposed to be terminated after one 3 or 6 days. I don't even want to know what goes on in US. - Source

We just don't know. Just imagine an intelligent species of dogs or cats that have the proportions of humans.. Creepy.
Since it's "secret" it doesn't have any reliable sources. Hence I'd take it with a grain of salt. ;)

Level 39
Well... that's in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I read the books and I never considered Saruman, Gandalf, Theoden or Boromir anything else but one-dimensional. There was absolutely nothing in these characters that wasn't perfectly obvious right from the start. There was no twist or character developement happening for any of these characters.
Especially in case of Boromir, who blatantly states at the second they hire him that he wants to use the ring for his people. Why would you even let someone like him travel with you in the first place, knowing about the corrupting powers of the artifact?

Which is fine, I guess. After all, Tolkien more or less "invented" these fantasy tropes, so there's no need to blame him for being... trope-y as hell.
I'm just evaluating this from a modern perspective. LotR just wouldn't live up to present-day standards if we compare it to newer releases. It was genius for it's time, though.

You make some good points. But I do think that you are mis-using the word one-dimensional. What you are describing are predictable characters, which is very much different from a one-dimensional character in my book.

As you said yourself, Tolkien invented the fantasy tropes, so back then they were not predictable. Now they are. I'm all for judging past works from a present-day perspective. For example, I hate when people call Mario the best game of all time, since there are a lot of games that it simply can't keep up with.
But calling the characters in LotR black-and-white or one-dimensional is a poor choice of words in my opinion, since it's one of the few things that they are not.

I was never talking about Sauron; since Sauron is not really a character (and so are Kil-jaeden, Archimonde or Mannoroth). Granted, they all have a physical form, but they are more what I would consider a "force of nature" than a character. Kind of an obstacle or plot device for the heroes to overcome, not a true character you can actually explore.

Hmm, agreed. But I do think that the fantasy genre should get over using these kinds of villains all the time, as it's very much possible to create a villain with actual depth and still have him be an obstacle.

True indeed. Then again, in any store with more than 10 characters, you'll eventually find a Mary Sue if you look hard enough. People tend to scream "Mary Sue!" immediately nowadays when a character is simply lawful-good by design or the creator's pet character.

Even in franchises that are critically acclaimed for their diverse and unique characters like Harry Potter, you'll find Mary Sues if you break it down too hard (Even Dumbledore qualifies as a Mary Sue when you think about it).

A Mary Sue is not a 100% good character nor is it a very powerful character. To be a Mary Sue you need to have no character flaws whatsoever.
It's hard to name one real flaw in Rhonin, Turalyon or Thrall (At least now, his character was best in Christie Golden's Lord of the Clans)

Villains can be Mary Sues as well, it's just most people see being evil as, well a flaw.

Dumbledore is certainly powerful, but he is not a Mary Sue. We see many human flaws in him, especially in the last book.

So yeah, the people screaming "Mary Sue!" at everything are misunderstanding what a Mary Sue actually is.

Nobody denies Tolkien of his achievement...
LotR basicly created the fantasy genre we know today (if we count out the bible or Homer's odyssey, that is). It's just that it won't hold up to modern standards anymore - especially when it comes to the depiction of female characters or overall character developement.

And this is what I think multi-dimensionalism is about, not neccesarily the trope they play on. It's important to see how the characters actually progress through their hardships; and while Thrall might be one of the more one-sided characters here (as you brought up the "green jesus" thing), we have characters like Sylvanas on the other side, who had plenty of developement in her story and actually multiple points of interest along the road. Illidan is also pretty interesting; as he has many roads to go throughout his story (his love and obedience towards Tyrande, despite her obvious hostility against him, his inner demons corrupting him, his hate-love for his sworn enemy Arthas, etc.).

Hehe, Arthas, Sylvanas and Illidan are probably the 3 most interesting characters. At least in the game itself.
As I said you make some good points. But I still think the word you're looking for it predictable.
LotR can be called boring, predictable, badly written etc etc. And I think all of this applies. But calling the characters one-dimensional or black-and-white are one of the few things I think LotR is not guilty of, even by today's standards.
Seeing as Tolkien invented many of the widely used fantasy tropes in use today, being predictable is pretty much unavoidable. So when the guys at Blizz are writing their lore, yeah they'll add in a few twists to appear original. But that doesn't mean that their characters have more depth, since at their very core they're basically still based on many of the tropes that Tolkien himself created.

TL;DR Predictable characters are not the the same thing as one-dimensional characters. At least not in my opinion ;)

The story of Thrall is partly based on Spartacus :)

True, although I think Thrall had more noble goals than the real Spartacus did :p

You make some good points. But I do think that you are mis-using the word one-dimensional. What you are describing are predictable characters, which is very much different from a one-dimensional character in my book.

As you said yourself, Tolkien invented the fantasy tropes, so back then they were not predictable. Now they are. I'm all for judging past works from a present-day perspective. For example, I hate when people call Mario the best game of all time, since there are a lot of games that it simply can't keep up with.
But calling the characters in LotR black-and-white or one-dimensional is a poor choice of words in my opinion, since it's one of the few things that they are not.
Yeah, you're right. Maybe it was really a poor choice of words on my side. Predictable describes my gripes with LotR much better.

Hmm, agreed. But I do think that the fantasy genre should get over using these kinds of villains all the time, as it's very much possible to create a villain with actual depth and still have him be an obstacle.
Oh hell no! Force of Nature villains are an important element of every adventure story. They serve the destinct purpose of providing hardships for the heroes without distracting the viewer from what really matters. I recommend you watch the "villains" episode of Extra Creditz on this matter, if you haven't already; they make a very good point on "force of nature" characters and why they enrich franchises if used correctly (even if I don't always agree with EC, this episode was pretty good).

A Mary Sue is not a 100% good character nor is it a very powerful character. To be a Mary Sue you need to have no character flaws whatsoever.
It's hard to name one real flaw in Rhonin, Turalyon or Thrall (At least now, his character was best in Christie Golden's Lord of the Clans)
I know that. In case of Thrall, I guess he does show some flaws later in the story (especially WoW lore), especially poor decisions he makes for the sake of retiring (which is kind of selfish in his position).

Hehe, Arthas, Sylvanas and Illidan are probably the 3 most interesting characters. At least in the game itself.
Sylvanas imho is the only character that greatly benefitted from WoW-lore. Her plotlines throughout WoW were all interesting and atmospheric, especially the questline in which she found a method to create new forgotten ones through some odd kind of necromancy. It raised interesting moral questions on what you consider "living" and what not. And while the rest of the horde (especially Garrosh) disagreed, it's hard not to sympathize with her here.

It's a shame the creators turned her character model from a badass undead to a generic bikini nightelf slut.

Last edited:
Level 39
Oh hell no! Force of Nature villains are an important element of every adventure story. They serve the destinct purpose of providing hardships for the heroes without distracting the viewer from what really matters. I recommend you watch the "villains" episode of Extra Creditz on this matter, if you haven't already; they make a very good point on "force of nature" characters and why they enrich franchises if used correctly (even if I don't always agree with EC, this episode was pretty good).

Interesting video. I love Extra Credits, but I hadn't seen that one before. I guess it makes sense. But I always liked relatable villains much more myself. I found that villains like Darth Malak, Saren, Loghain Mac Tir, Ner'zhul or even Arthas have much more depth and serve the narrative better. But I guess these serve as narrative villains instead of force-of nature villains.
I just always found that the latter type are extremely black-and-white, as you yourself said LotR was.

I like their explanation that force-of-nature villains are basically representations of an ideology. That's interesting and has a lot of depth to it. But when a character literally is an ideology personified, it just makes that character seem bland and - dare I say it - one-dimensional. So I guess these types of villains are more plot devices than actual characters.
It's just hard for me not to see them as characters I guess.

I know that. In case of Thrall, I guess he does show some flaws later in the story (especially WoW lore), especially poor decisions he makes for the sake of retiring (which is kind of selfish in his position).

I was under the impression that he quit to become the new Earth Warder some bs like that? Might be wrong, I'm not an expert on post-WC3 lore.

Sylvanas imho is the only character that greatly benefitted from WoW-lore. Her plotlines throughout WoW were all interesting and atmospheric, especially the questline in which she found a method to create new forgotten ones through some odd kind of necromancy. It raised interesting moral questions on what you consider "living" and what not. And while the rest of the horde (especially Garrosh) disagreed, it's hard not to sympathize with her here.

I guess. As I said I don't much follow WoW lore, so I really have no idea what Sylvanas is up to. But yeah, Sylvanas was always one of the few characters in WoW I was actually interested in since the start. I just couldn't stick with it, because frankly the game bored me to death :p

Interesting video. I love Extra Credits, but I hadn't seen that one before. I guess it makes sense. But I always liked relatable villains much more myself. I found that villains like Darth Malak, Saren, Loghain Mac Tir, Ner'zhul or even Arthas have much more depth and serve the narrative better. But I guess these serve as narrative villains instead of force-of nature villains.
I just always found that the latter type are extremely black-and-white, as you yourself said LotR was.

I like their explanation that force-of-nature villains are basically representations of an ideology. That's interesting and has a lot of depth to it. But when a character literally is an ideology personified, it just makes that character seem bland and - dare I say it - one-dimensional. So I guess these types of villains are more plot devices than actual characters.
It's just hard for me not to see them as characters I guess.
Archimonde, Mannoroth and Sargeras are indeed more to be seen as plot devices and not actual characters.
Think about it: they don't actually have personality or a specific characteristic that isn't defined by their nature alone.
"It's just what I am."

In that way, they are very similar to the Grim Reaper. An entity that only shows up to do it's job, then disappears again. You don't see the Mannoroth or Sargeras brushing their tooth or chitchatting about weather. They usually don't talk to other characters either (with some very rare exceptions). They are basicly living McGuffins.

Archimonde, Mannoroth and Sargeras are indeed more to be seen as plot devices and not actual characters.
Think about it: they don't actually have personality or a specific characteristic that isn't defined by their nature alone.
"It's just what I am."

In that way, they are very similar to the Grim Reaper. An entity that only shows up to do it's job, then disappears again. You don't see the Mannoroth or Sargeras brushing their tooth or chitchatting about weather. They usually don't talk to other characters either (with some very rare exceptions). They are basicly living McGuffins.

They live somewhere in the Twisting Nether. You can't say that they don't talk or "live" their lives. They are real beings who must feed, talk, go to a toilet. Archimonde is an Eredar, they were the most gifted pure creatures in galaxy with many cultural advancements.

In Warcraft 3 multiple times Mannaroth normally chatted with Tichondrius, even Archimonde joined them briefly.

What you're saying is simply not true.

Level 39
"It's just what I am."

I guess it makes sense from a storytelling perspective yeah. I still find narrative villains more interesting though.

They live somewhere in the Twisting Nether. You can't say that they don't talk or "live" their lives. They are real beings who must feed, talk, go to a toilet. Archimonde is an Eredar, they were the most gifted pure creatures in galaxy with many cultural advancements.

In Warcraft 3 multiple times Mannaroth normally chatted with Tichondrius, even Archimonde joined them briefly.

What you're saying is simply not true.

He's talking about their role in the narrative, not literally.

And I really doubt godlike beings like Archimonde, Kil'jaeden or Sargeras poop. They've sorta transcended to something beyond that I think.

That'd be like saying God needs to take a leak.

I want to see Mannoroth's toilet!

shivers.gif

Last edited:
Well, if they eat they poop. Food is the source of energy, if they can be killed they are mortal. Even the immortal Night Elves had to eat, drink and go to toilet.

Otherwise it would contradict to their bodies. They transcended from having a body? So why aren't they spirits ? Why body that is killable?

Mannoroth is also a being that has to digest and ... xD

Level 39
Well, if they eat they poop. Food is the source of energy, if they can be killed they are mortal. Even the immortal Night Elves had to eat, drink and go to toilet.

Otherwise it would contradict to their bodies. They transcended from having a body? So why aren't they spirits ? Why body that is killable?

Mannoroth is also a being that has to digest and ... xD

Night Elves might be ageless, but they are still mortal. Archimonde and Kil'jaeden are pretty much immortals.

I don't think it's far fetched to think that their ascent to godhood somehow changed their bodies so drastically that they no longer "feed" on physical food like we do, but instead their source of energy is.. well energy. Pure energy, Mana.
You can't really use science in a universe like this. Having a body doesn't necessarily mean that their bodies are like ours.
Do Undead poop? I doubt it. Their bodies work in a completely different way than living beings. It seems logical that demi-gods' bodies also work in a different way in my opinion.

Mannoroth probably poops yeah, but he's not even comparable to the Eredar demi-gods.

Night Elves might be ageless, but they are still mortal. Archimonde and Kil'jaeden are pretty much immortals.

I don't think it's far fetched to think that their ascent to godhood somehow changed their bodies so drastically that they no longer "feed" on physical food like we do, but instead their source of energy is.. well energy. Pure energy, Mana.
You can't really use science in a universe like this. Having a body doesn't necessarily mean that their bodies are like ours.
Do Undead poop? I doubt it. Their bodies work in a completely different way than living beings. It seems logical that demi-gods' bodies also work in a different way in my opinion.

Mannoroth probably poops yeah, but he's not even comparable to the Eredar demi-gods.

So whats the point of them having private parts? Do they reproduce?? So, how do they get muscles? If they feed on pure energy, why do they have red blood (they should have blue blood due to lack of iron), why normal body functions? Shouldn't they lose body weight? Anorexia? All of these conclusions came from lack of knowledge whether they still do normal bodily things, while being half-god like. They should also lose skin pigmentation (they should be white, albino) and hair if they feed on pure energy(not normal energy, that food provides).

Also, their immune system is probably very frail and they are full of bacteria.

What's the point of having a body, after all? You could be an ethereal. Your point makes no logic.

In my opinion Archimonde and Kil'jaeden still have normal body that doesn't age or is immortal (self repairing) and has enhanced mental capabilities.

You do realize you can always shrug and say "magic, duh", right? I think that in Rise of the Horde it was stated Kil'jaeden lives on fel energy alone.

You have no proof, please state your sources or don't spread lies. "This is magic" cliche is getting old, use creativity and try to explain in using some logic. Warcraft after all is based on our world with our Logic. Most of it.

Without our Logic we wouldn't be able to diff irate Warcraft from Reality.

I've stated my opinion using logical answer, feeding on fel energy will make him a skeleton without brains (because brains need psychical energy too)

Level 39
So whats the point of them having private parts? Do they reproduce?? So, how do they get muscles? If they feed on pure energy, why do they have red blood (they should have blue blood due to lack of iron), why normal body functions? Shouldn't they lose body weight? Anorexia? All of these conclusions came from lack of knowledge whether they still do normal bodily things, while being half-god like. They should also lose skin pigmentation (they should be white, albino) and hair if they feed on pure energy(not normal energy, that food provides).

Also, their immune system is probably very frail and they are full of bacteria.

What's the point of having a body, after all? You could be an ethereal. Your point makes no logic.

In my opinion Archimonde and Kil'jaeden still have normal body that doesn't age or is immortal (self repairing) and has enhanced mental capabilities.

Again, everything you say is based on the assumption that their bodies function in the same way as ours. Which there is no indication of.

You don't know if they have genitals. Have you seen a genital on any of the demons we've mentioned?

I'm guessing they don't reproduce no. Maybe the Eredar used to (and maybe not even in the way we think) but Archimonde and Kil'jaeden probably don't. We know Mannoroth doesn't have a d*ck, we can see this on his model. Most demons are probably spawned in some way rather than born like humans.

They don't have red blood. Mannoroths blood is green and as far as I know we have no clue about Archimonde and Kil'jaeden. Probably green as well, since they are freaking fuelled by fel magic!

How do you know they even have immune-systems??

Body weight should be maintainable by fel magic easily. Same goes for skin pigmentation and hair. Hell, maybe their body has been frozen in some kind of magical stasis since they ascended to godhood. Again, we have no clue.

You have no proof, please state your sources or don't spread lies. "This is magic" cliche is getting old, use creativity and try to explain in using some logic. Warcraft after all is based on our world with our Logic. Most of it.

Without our Logic we wouldn't be able to diff irate Warcraft from Reality.

I've stated my opinion using logical answer, feeding on fel energy will make him a skeleton without brains (because brains need psychical energy too)

Can you tell me the scientific reason why feeding on fel energy would make him a skeleton without a brain? This is also an assumption.

You have no sources either. Your logic is very flawed because all of it is based on the assumption that everything in Warcraft works like it does in real-life. Which is of course ridiculous. The Warcraft universe has its' own laws of nature, some of them the same but many very different than our own.

"This is magic" works really well for some things, like being able to control fire, being ageless, raising the dead and a buttload of other inexplicable things in the Warcraft universe. Including powerful demi-gods not having to poop.

Trying to apply real-world logic to it just doesn't make sense.

This is one of the weirdest discussions I've had here :p

This is one of the weirdest discussions I've had here :p

Congratulations, on the most weirdest discussion. I am looking at Archimonde from logical perspective like he is an alien, another race. He is just prefixed as a demon from others point of view. There are female Eredar, who have breasts just like they normally would. Demons still have normal body, genitalia and natural processes such as digestion.

I still believe they eat normal food, otherwise they would die.

You are looking at this from "magical" point of view, which in my opinion is really getting old these days. Still, you have your opinion and I have mine. :)

Level 39
Congratulations, on the most weirdest discussion. I am looking at Archimonde from logical perspective like he is an alien, another race. He is just prefixed as a demon from others point of view. There are female Eredar, who have breasts just like they normally would. Demons still have normal body, genitalia and natural processes such as digestion.

I'd still say this is a major assumption. There might be female Eredar but Archimonde and Kil'jaeden has evolved to something beyond normal Eredar. They are pretty much Eternals. Which in my opinion means that they've transcended beyond eating, sleeping and pooping.

Do we have any evidence that supports the existance of female Pit Lords for example? We don't. They might be spawned from some special hell-pit thus not needing genitalia.

You are looking at this from "magical" point of view, which in my opinion is really getting old these days.

It's not as simple as my opinion is magic yours is logic. The demigods being fuelled by fel magic is a very logical explanation why they their bodies don't work like ours.
We eat food as an energy source. If Kil'jaeden's energy source is fel magic, it makes a lot of sense that he doesn't need to eat and therefore poop.

Still, you have your opinion and I have mine. :)

True, maybe time to drop this one. It's kinda majorly off-topic :p

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
You people! Haven't you read any mythology? Start with the Greek legends of the Olympians or with any you like. There are things there that are analogies to humans/life but they have a more metaphysical meaning/shape.
And yeeees, this is really off-topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.