• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Twilight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
As most of us probably know the movie Twilight is coming out tomorrow, and holy crap thats going to be some day. I've been hearing all about that almost non-stop all day! Personally i didn't even like Twilight, but thats just me. Forget December Eleventh two thousand twelve as doomsday, it might be tomorrow! I'm telling you if god really is real, why did he let that series be?

My greatest apologies to those who object, I'm just curios about your opinion. to those who liked it.

Level 3
Ah...Twilight, haven't read it, but what I heard from other people it's about vampire love...for me? That kinda spells bad news, but maybe its not so bad. The movie doesn't really help my view on the book as of now. But I just finished Slaughter House Five, and I'm reading Cat's Cradle. Twilight will just have to wait.

R.I.P Kurt Vonnegut

Level 7
This movie isn't too bad I guess, but It's seemed to have spawned a race of teenage-vampire TV shows, which I can never forgive it for.

Level 35
Yep...classic case of over hyping a series that is probably mediocre at best and only famous because of its fad quality.

I haven't read it personally, but I remember that if you were a female at my school, you had the book, and were reading it.

It was then that I pretty much said to myself: "I bet this is a girl's Eragon" Like supa- said...it is doomed to fail.

I only ever hear bad things about this book. Why is it that bad books are being pushed out onto the market, and get a movie...and good books are shoved into a corner forgotten by the whole of society?

Level 14
This is actually really funny because a friend of mine (a girl) recommended this book to me yesterday lol.

I only ever hear bad things about this book. Why is it that it has become a lovely trend for bad books to be pushed out onto the market, and get a movie...and good books are shoved into a corner?

Because there's no original thought anymore.

Anyway, I hope the movie is good and wasn't just over hyped.

Level 7
You wouldn't believe how many girls skipped my school today, and the ones who stayed... Lets just say i never heard the end of it.

Level 26
THEY WON'T SHUT UP.

THE GOD DAMN GIRLS WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT IT.

PLEASE MAKE IT STOP.

Level 15
1) Vampire sex doesn't happen until the third book "...when we awoke from our sleep I noticed that I had destroyed the front board on the bed in my frenzy..."

2) The books weren't bad. I was really hoping that she would get it on with the werewolf instead of the vampire.

3) The best part was when the werewolf kissed her and she punched him, broke her hand, and then had to explain to everyone that she broke her hand punching him because he kissed her. Werewolf rape ftl?

Btw, don't see this movie. The only comparison I can make is the Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban book to the movie.

Level 4
My girlfriend loves the series and asked me to read the first book. Honestly, it was one of those books you come across (at least for me) that you'll always love. I thought the whole idea of it was great, and I plan to go read the others too.

The movie, on the other hand, doesn't look too good. It'll be an all right movie, but it will never be what the book is (as is the case with every other book that is made into a movie).

I can't seem to picture any actor playing the role of Edward Cullen (the vampire boy that the main character falls in love with, for any that don't know), because the book describes Edward as "unspeakably gorgeous," and Edward can only be that kind of character than can be created only in the mind.

I won't be able to sit through it next Saturday with my girlfriend and not feel wierd because I'll be the only guy in the theatre, however. XD

Level 24
Plenty of girls will be dragging their boyfriends to the movie, you won't be alone. Also, there is an "edit post" button for a reason. Avoid double-posting.

Level 2
Ok I made a account here mainly to post on this thread. I've been debating wiether to do so or not, but this convinced me (Or Ghost did by telling me).

Fuck Twilight.

Sparkiling vampires. There is nothing that can redeem sparkling vampires, unless they sparkle for a second then blow up in a nuclear explosion =P

Going to go see Twilight defaces any ounce of manliness you have. It's like saying that its ok to put Rambo in a dress, having the 5th rambo movie about him getting ready for the prom, and the most exciting moment is when he's named prom queen.

ITS JUST NOT RIGHT!!!!

Level 36
Mkay, let me tell you why I hate twilight. It's about some "normal"-ish girl who meets this "perfect" guy, except the guy is a vampire. Now, normally that would be just great, but in twilight vampires aren't fucking vampires. They don't bite people and drink their blood, they don't burn up in sunlight (instead they glow like radioactive faggots), and all in all they are emo kids with fangs.

Now let me tell you why I like twilight. If you know a hot girl who is into it, it's the PERFECT OPPORTUNITY TO GET LAID. Just take her to see twilight and she will be your MINION OF DESPAAIIRRR!!!

(3333rd post :D)

Level 4
Now let me tell you why I like twilight. If you know a hot girl who is into it, it's the PERFECT OPPORTUNITY TO GET LAID. Just take her to see twilight and she will be your MINION OF DESPAAIIRRR!!!

Oh come ON! You totally did NOT just see figure out my super-secret plan!
:cry:

Level 9
Personally I think the books were stupid. I read the first one and gave up, to boring. Only real good thing coming from the books is the tourism that we're getting here in forks. Still not great dealing with the traffic and tourists.

Level 27
but in twilight vampires aren't fucking vampires. They don't bite people and drink their blood, they don't burn up in sunlight (instead they glow like radioactive faggots), and all in all they are emo kids with fangs.
QFT. I hate what Twilight did to vampires entirely. Overall, the book wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great in the slightest, and deserves in no way the merit it has in my opinion. The writing style was alright, the symbolism was almost nil, and the plotline was.. decent, at best. But the thing that irked me is above. They're a lot more like ghouls than vampires, to be honest.
--donut3.5--

Level 4
I'm actually amazed this topic has gone on for this long... However, epic lulz have been reaped from it, so I'm quite all right with this thread's survival :p

Level 36
1) The books were written for teenage girls. None of you are teenage girls, therefor none of you can properly appreciate the books.

2) The movie is going to ruin the books. Edward Cullen (The sexah vampire) is supposed to have the flawless beauty that comes with being an immortal kick-ass vampire. It's Robert Pattinson. He doesn't stand a chance. Hell, he looks ugly next to Dan Radcliffe let alone immortal vampire beauty.

3) The books, even though the content is totally subjective, are not well written. Stephenie Meyer (That's the author you knobs) admits herself that she's not that great at writing, that the books aren't really anything grand or epic in terms of writing, and in fact the only reason she wrote them at all is because the idea apparently came to her in a dream.

They're also said to be horrifyingly addictive. Considering I've seen girls reading them that I know would otherwise never go near a book, life or death, I can safely say that they do make a good read. They're not enriching. You wont learn anything from them. But anything that gets people reading period, especially people who would normally be inclined to hate reading, is cool by me.

My main irk with this whole deal is that Half Blood Prince was supposed to come out on the 21st. Instead Twilight grabbed the spot while HBP was bumped ahead to July.

I'd much rather go to a Potter premier than a Twilight one. Potterheads are more fun to be around, and, despite enormous amounts of rabid fangirls, there is still generally less squeeing all around.

Level 2
They like it because its romantic and sweet. Its not that hard to figure out. I can guarnatee they don't read it for the animal decapitations.
Thing is, if your a blood sucking creature of the night, having a romantic teenage girl relationship kinda sucks away all your rep =P

Level 25
1) The books were written for teenage girls. None of you are teenage girls, therefor none of you can properly appreciate the books.

I know plenty of teenage girls who dislike it. Albeit most from the Internet, and we know what hellish monsters they are

Sides, Beast Wars was written for young kids and yet I still love it, especially Code of Hero. I can't see a kid understanding the full depth of that episode, cause I sure as hell didn't when I first saw it all those years ago

2) The movie is going to ruin the books. Edward Cullen (The sexah vampire) is supposed to have the flawless beauty that comes with being an immortal kick-ass vampire. It's Robert Pattinson. He doesn't stand a chance. Hell, he looks ugly next to Dan Radcliffe let alone immortal vampire beauty.

This is a problem in books. Don't describe things as "Flawless beauty" cause when the movie comes out... Yeah :p. (Also what the hell how is a vampire flawlessly beautiful they're supposed to be zombies powered by blood)

They're also said to be horrifyingly addictive. Considering I've seen girls reading them that I know would otherwise never go near a book, life or death, I can safely say that they do make a good read. They're not enriching. You wont learn anything from them. But anything that gets people reading period, especially people who would normally be inclined to hate reading, is cool by me.

Oh, you don't know the half of it. Sure, its nice to get more people into reading

Unfortunately, it has descended a few of them down into a primal level of humanity, previously rarely seen outside of religious circles. It has turned them into zealots, willing to die for the cause of their book's "honor" and oppose any and all negative reviews of it, and even physically attack people for making slights against it. Some of the fans of this book are nutjobs, plain and simple

My main irk with this whole deal is that Half Blood Prince was supposed to come out on the 21st. Instead Twilight grabbed the spot while HBP was bumped ahead to July.

That may not have had anything to do with Twilight. Allegedly in the preview screenings, HP6 kinda absolutely, positively, stunk. As in, took away and/or glossed over the various highlights of the book and was an absolutely terrible movie. At least this is the hearsay I've heard

So, presumably, the delay is to make it better. Hopefully

I'd much rather go to a Potter premier than a Twilight one. Potterheads are more fun to be around, and, despite enormous amounts of rabid fangirls, there is still generally less squeeing all around.

Not gonna argue there. I was almost considering getting some friends to MST3K it, but then I realised that I would most likely be eaten alive by a batch of vicious harpies and, well, I enjoy life

Level 36
Mecheon, I completely agree.

As for rabid Twilight fans, when Alex Carpenter (The lead singer of the Wizard Rock [That's music about Harry Potter, yes there are over 500 bands, shut it] The Remus Lupins) was making fun of Twilight at a conference, MTV picked it up and made a huge story about it.

In response, Twilight fans on MTV's comment boards called Alex Carpenter a racist. I shit you not. A racist.

As for HBP, no, the reason it got moved ahead was because WB needed a summer blockbuster for 2009. They didn't expect Dark Knight to do as good as it did, so rather than have two 3/4-billion affairs in one year, they bumped it into next summer for precisely that reason. Now, the only reason Twilight took the exact date (and it makes sense) is to capture the HP audience (There is a lot of overlap between the two fandoms, even though Twilight can't even compare), so a lot of people who had HBP marked down in their calendar for the 21st just changed it to Twilight.

And as for HBP being terrible, not a chance! Have you SEEN the trailer? I think more than any of the others, HBP has really captured EXACTLY what the book was about. It's gonna be intense.

Level 4
I couldn't forgive J.K. Rowling for selling the book's rights to be made into a movie after I saw the second Harry Potter movie.

The same thing is going to happen for Twilight, and almost every book that will ever be made into a movie, because the detail of the book can never be recaptured by a book (Well, then again, maybe someday there'll be some 2nd Peter Jackson and Stephen Spielberg along with super technology in cinema that will allow them to, but not in this present day).

The only book that can come to my mind that made a good movie was "Rambo: First Blood", and very few (if any) know that there was a book that inspired that whole series anyway.

Level 4
Imagine Peter Jackson directing Harry Potter...

While we're at it, we might as well imagine Michael Bay directing Harry Potter. At the end of the Half-Blood Prince, a catastrophic chain reaction of explosions engulfs all the characters in the movie, engulfing them in flames and incinerating their bodies.

...You know what, I think it's best we DON'T imagine that.

Level 24
That may not have had anything to do with Twilight. Allegedly in the preview screenings, HP6 kinda absolutely, positively, stunk. As in, took away and/or glossed over the various highlights of the book and was an absolutely terrible movie. At least this is the hearsay I've heard
Snape kills Dumbledore?

the detail of the book can never be recaptured by a book
Run Forrest, run!

Status
Not open for further replies.