• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Hive's Times; Volume 1 1/14/2011

Which do you prefer? Hive's Times, or Hive's SE

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Well, which is cooler guys, this or this?

That. Its less of a bomb and makes more sense for a site like this.

You know guys, I find it somewhat ironic that there's huge drama over a newspaper about drama.

But really, give it a chance. Wait for next week's issue. If it still sucks balls in your eyes then just ignore it and leave it to the(majority) who like it.

The problem isn't that its stupid debode (though it is), the problem is that it is dangerous for a site like this.

Lol.

I can see the new front page now.

"Mods dislike newspaper, flamefest begins"

Right because me and half the others are totally mods. :D

Seriously, I really could care less, if its so dumb, then ignore it. :)

If you want it improved, then Improve it.

It's like...you didn't even read my post. D;

Also, i dont think Watchman is being revolutionist, just pointing out a funny. deal with jokes to your ego please, the hive doesent have the load bearing capacity to let them grow even more bloated. :p

No, its a rallypoint. Broadcasting things like that is dangerous. It has nothing to do with ego. Don't use cliche statements to move around an issue.

Sure, most of the time some of you are nice people, you just need to learn to ignore things you dislike instead of raging, or provide constructive rather than destructive criticisim.

Again, this isn't so much a dislike due to general stupidity. (Though it is poorly written and frankly not funny at all.) The problem is that its dangerous and adds more for the mods to do.

Respond to my original post please.

Level 22
We need people to find drama/humor and write in a mature, while humorous fashion about it, or write a serious article about serious issues.

I see, well I agree with Zombie, not enough Hive-related political drama involved. It needs to have a very humorous sense to it in almost every major area, I didn't feel that vibe. No offense to the major writers, but the articles sounded like they were written by someone quite childish. >.>

You can't use 'xD', ':D', or anything of those other smiley-faced texts in something like this; I do however think it is an excellent idea.

You should start it with "This week in history:" or something similar, and use it as a signature phrase.

Level 19
The idea is good, the people to work on it are here and the layout needs a bit improvement (like aeroblyctos suggested, I'd prefer to read something like that).

Once worked out, this will turn out great!

Also, the main reason why *certain* moderators don't like it is because what they do could be set in text (just like watching the news when the government or anything else fails). They're afraid that their dirty little secrets and bath-ducks come out in the public.

Do I really have to say it again, that a moderator should behave?
I don't really like to do so, but if I find anyone posting bitching stuff below about this I will carry it to the chieftain. And I'm known for killing mods, so take care (you want to make your response? VM me but leave this thread alone like a real moderator should do)

On a positive road we go!

Level 19
Also, the main reason why *certain* moderators don't like it is because what they do could be set in text (just like watching the news when the government or anything else fails). They're afraid that their dirty little secrets and bath-ducks come out in the public.

yeah or they just think it sucks

Is it really that hard to understand?

Besides that, tbh I did like the model review.

Lol.

I can see the new front page now.

"Mods dislike newspaper, flamefest begins"

Seriously, I really could care less, if its so dumb, then ignore it. :)

its the good ol' them vs us mentality again. stop trying to turn this into another mod vs normal user situation because it isnt. anarchian is a model mod and i am an icon mod. we clearly do not have a jurisdiction on this part of the site nor do we have the slightest bit of "advantage" around here. as far as this newspaper is concerned, me and anarchian are just two ordinary users. the only "advantage" we might have is that you are failing to read what other people have wrote and thus failed to argue your point clearly

and so far, it has only been anarchian and me who happen to be mods as well as criticising.
AS MR BOB POINTED OUT

oh wait. I GET IT. it is on purpose. you segregate the mods and the normal users and then ask for support from normal users who obviously are quite larger in numbers. you give the normal people a label "good guys" and the mods "angry guys". wow. genius

Also, i dont think Watchman is being revolutionist, just pointing out a funny. deal with jokes to your ego please, the hive doesent have the load bearing capacity to let them grow even more bloated. :p
first of all, the above paragraph is confusing. it really took me few turns to translate what you were trying to say. anyways. being a revolutionary stopped being amusing a while ago. quite a while. actually, its the bread and butter tactic of the usual people who apply for a mod position. "the mod section needs an overhaul" "the current mods are corrupt" "the current mods are slack" it gets tiring really really fast. tiring that these people refuses to put up an ounce of an effort to disguise what they really want.

oh. and goody. an ego card. i was wondering when this card was going to be played. cos it always does. now lets see. my dear ego. what can i say of it. i am guessing you are refering to me being an arrogant mod, amirite? well lets see. i was put in this position rather hurriedly and messily.
and of course, the nature of this "promotion" gave many opinions to some of the users. one particular user even remarked that i wont probably last 2 months. a point which i took to be an absolute fact. i dont mind it at all. in fact, i joked about it all the time. because that is all it would take. one word from hakeem or pyritie or GF or any of the higher ups. does it need a reason? not really. do i care? not really. now. how much of an ego do you think a person as a mod have when their mod position is as fickle as a candle in the wind?

pretty sure NONE.

now. if you were referring to my ego as being my personal ego, i dont really see how my ego has to do with anything on the internet. do i physically intimidate you? ya sure, i can write long rants but that is only because you are writing less than adequate arguments and excuses.

Sure, most of the time some of you are nice people, you just need to learn to ignore things you dislike instead of raging, or provide constructive rather than destructive criticisim.

once again, youve missed my point.
why do people try to lose weight? is it because their mother told them "oh honey. you are nice but you need to lose some weight"? no. its because the people around them, their environment, their society tells them
"YOU ARE A FATASS"
they hear, see and feel this so they lose weight. in this case, what SEEMS like an obvious trolling/flaming carried an underlying message. "lose some weight"
of course, you simple chose to ignore this because you are in deep denial. or at least trying put up some excuse for yourself by pointing at me for all these mayham while not actually doing anything constructive yourself. ie. planning out what to do for the next installment. stop bawwing how mean we are and actually get some work done .

Level 22
its the good ol' them vs us mentality again. stop trying to turn this into another mod vs normal user situation because it isnt. anarchian is a model mod and i am an icon mod. we clearly do not have a jurisdiction on this part of the site nor do we have the slightest bit of "advantage" around here. as far as this newspaper is concerned, me and anarchian are just two ordinary users. the only "advantage" we might have is that you are failing to read what other people have wrote and thus failed to argue your point clearly

first of all, the above paragraph is confusing. it really took me few turns to translate what you were trying to say. anyways. being a revolutionary stopped being amusing a while ago. quite a while. actually, its the bread and butter tactic of the usual people who apply for a mod position. "the mod section needs an overhaul" "the current mods are corrupt" "the current mods are slack" it gets tiring really really fast. tiring that these people refuses to put up an ounce of an effort to disguise what they really want.

The more people who bring this subject up, the more common it will become, and it irritates me to death.
Commenting on a subject leads to more and more commenting, making the subject more and more common. By fighting the subject you are spreading it. So everyone just let it die, the mods aren't out to get you.

oh. and goody. an ego card. i was wondering when this card was going to be played. cos it always does. now lets see. my dear ego. what can i say of it. i am guessing you are refering to me being an arrogant mod, amirite? well lets see. i was put in this position rather hurriedly and messily.
and of course, the nature of this "promotion" gave many opinions to some of the users. one particular user even remarked that i wont probably last 2 months. a point which i took to be an absolute fact. i dont mind it at all. in fact, i joked about it all the time. because that is all it would take. one word from hakeem or pyritie or GF or any of the higher ups. does it need a reason? not really. do i care? not really. now. how much of an ego do you think a person as a mod have when their mod position is as fickle as a candle in the wind?

pretty sure NONE.

now. if you were referring to my ego as being my personal ego, i dont really see how my ego has to do with anything on the internet. do i physically intimidate you? ya sure, i can write long rants but that is only because you are writing less than adequate arguments and excuses.

once again, youve missed my point.
why do people try to lose weight? is it because their mother told them "oh honey. you are nice but you need to lose some weight"? no. its because the people around them, their environment, their society tells them
"YOU ARE A FATASS"
they hear, see and feel this so they lose weight. in this case, what SEEMS like an obvious trolling/flaming carried an underlying message. "lose some weight"
of course, you simple chose to ignore this because you are in deep denial. or at least trying put up some excuse for yourself by pointing at me for all these mayham while not actually doing anything constructive yourself. ie. planning out what to do for the next installment. stop bawwing how mean we are and actually get some work done .

If you (people in general being "you" not singling you out Pyramid) are going to point out negative references in a so-called "Newsletter" because they sound like they are against the mods and the site, then you take things way to fucking seriously and need to learn to take joke lol. As for the mods and the members. Commenting on a subject spreads the subject, by fighting or fighting for an ideal you continue to make it stronger, the only way to kill an idea is to let it die on its own. So every give it a fucking rest, the mods aren't out to get you, nor do the mods need to defend themselves constantly like children as they always do.

Also I know that your signature is a screenshot from the movie "Predator" at the beginning of the movie in the infrared lit chopper. I know my movies. xD

Level 20
Don't get me wrong, I've read some enjoyable funny newsletters from other websites. If anyone here has ever read Pony Tales off TeamLiquid, that stuff is great. The difference is that they have skilled writers and artists, and great content. Their pilot suffered formatting issues too (although not as terrible as this), but its content was so good that practically every reader instantly loved it.

Unless you guys start to understand that you need good writers, good artists, and good content (neither of which I think you'll be able to find here) to make anything good, this will get nowhere.

Or just blame the mods and the resigned mods.

I am in denial of what exactly? that the first newspaper sucked? i am aware, but that doesent change anything.

I asked you to be constructive pyramid. you have only said the obvious. you havent been constructive.

I honestly dont care enouh to spend 10 minutes replying to your post, because honestly, in my oppinion, its just a bunch of bull.

Just make a list of what you dont like, without smothering it in flame and sarcasm, and then, for a change, provide how it could be done better.

I'm not going to read further comments that dont discuss the newspaper. I am tired of all the bull oldfags like to feed out. If you never want this, if you dont like the idea, or dont like what we can do, then dont get involved.

I feel like i am talking to a brick, and i am probably being a brick too, so lets stop for te courtesy of the hive. this is the kinda stuff, the only stuff, that makes me dislike the hive. We wouldent be having this conversation if either of us were actually mature individuals.

wait. i am afraid that people will be complaining about the staff? are you crazy? people are complaining about the staff ALL THE TIME
you think i am afraid this one little article will all of a sudden be the flagship of "Hive Equality" movement?

like ive clearly said, they are welcome, as far as i am concerned, i dont care what goes here as long as they do it in a credible way and they back up their argument with credible source. not with "i am a mod. RAWR RAWR fear me" impersonations

EDIT: constructive? is that the only word you can pull out from your brain? do i have to spoonfeed you all the details? take your every babysteps side by side so you can improve your newspaper? is that what you would call constructive? what ever happened to reading between the lines?

PS: oldfag? i wish. i aint an oldfag nor do i deserve such a title. i am more like gen3fag

Level 22
I am in denial of what exactly? that the first newspaper sucked? i am aware.

I asked you to be constructive pyramid. you have only said the obvious. you havent been constructive.

I honestly dont care enouh to spend 10 minutes replying to your post, because honestly, in my oppinion, its just a bunch of bull.

Just make a list of what you dont like, without smothering it in flame and sarcasm, and then, for a change, provide how it could be done better.

I'm not going to read further comments that dont discuss the newspaper. I am tired of all the bull oldfags like to feed out.

I agree the mentality of people is so idiotic anymore. Suddenly this has turned into a flamefest as Pyramid stated. "Mods versus users blah blah blah" oh stfu every one. Give some constructive criticism or get the hell out.

Just put this to bed now.

EDIT: constructive? is that the only word you can pull out from your brain? do i have to spoonfeed you all the details? take your every babysteps side by side so you can improve your newspaper? what ever happened to reading between the lines?

lol.
just lol.

Welll it should be obvious that saying somthing obvious doesent help. :p

Level 37
I agree the mentality of people is so idiotic anymore. Suddenly this has turned into a flamefest as Pyramid stated. "Mods versus users blah blah blah" oh stfu every one. Give some constructive criticism or get the hell out.

Just put this to bed now.

Just read the old news which are made better and do something like that. That was enjoyable to read.

Level 49
Pyramidhe@d, seriously, all TWIF wants you to do is to tell him how he can do BETTER instead of pointing out everything he did WRONG.

And no, I don't mean stuff like "The comic is not funny. Make if funny.", I mean actual guide-steps or tips, like "You might want to use the same color for all the text, or at least a similar color scheme." and "In the future, you might want to avoid using images that aren't related to Warcraft III or the Hive." instead of "THIS IS THE WORST THING I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE. EVERYTHING YOU DID FAILS.".

@Aeroblyctos - Except this isn't a 'news batch', it's a semi-'newspaper' and it's main intention is to be funny and fun to read and not informative or helpful.

Level 37
Ya, well, We should do it more like Rui's.

Yeaaaaah.

I'm too busy watching your creepy ass avatar. xD

If you keep watching my avatar I must change it!

Debode said:
@Aeroblyctos - Except this isn't a 'news batch', it's a semi-'newspaper' and it's main intention is to be funny and fun to read and not informative or helpful.

I agree it must be funny, but why not informative as well?

Level 23
I may say only one thing about moderators here. If they are given power over this site then they should be the better people. Instead of coming to the level of some simple users they should be an example to others, in such things as tolerance and support.
If you chose to work on the site then you should learn to accept criticism, instead of just giving it.

As for the "they are doing the criticising to separate us from users"... even if the authors were doing that to get people to like the paper, dont you think that then normal people who are reading this have a reason to dislike mods? Saying that this is a try of separation will only sever the connection with users and I believe you should find a reason why people are so willing to read something that criticices you.
Perhaps you need to listen to the people and become more tolerant towards the users and their view on how this site is run, because otherwise it isnt the paper that is separating you and the users, but you.

Level 40
Some of us have given constructive criticism. Can't say I know whether anarch/Pyra have since I can't be bothered to read the first few pages, but myself/bob/HINDy definitely did and we've been largely ignored. I'm getting the impression that they don't actually want constructive criticism, they just want to pretend they want it as an excuse to have cannon fodder in these drama wars.

--

Pyra, Ralle/Hakeem/GF aren't exactly fast to demote.

Level 26
Did you not see
My response? There's your constructive criticism

OH hey, you know what a good source of hive news is?
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/news.php

And the funny thing is that all of those articles are objective and not written in the grammar of a kindergartner and filled with vulgar language every 5 seconds. See, you have blizzard news (patch updates) and contest updates from the arena section and the model, icon, map, spell of the week. Its amazing! It's everything I could have hoped for in a newsletter of some sort.... but wait a second, Ralle has set up that page for years now.

What we wanted was right in front of us the entire time oh-ho ho, how hilarious!

So the only thing that this "newsletter" could hope to accomplish is to either provide horrendously written raging opinion articles or just to start a big drama argument on the thread it was posted in. Like so^

Level 31
TWIF your looking at this and responding to us as if we think its simply a bad idea because its not made very well. That's only half the issue. The other half is that it adds a massive task for the mods every week and is volatile as fuck.

Again, this is explained better in my original post.

Finished reading your post.

I understand, and Sort of agree with you.

But first, I'd like to apologize for raging to everyone who was responding in what i precived to be a flaming manner, its rude and inconsiderate and i sincerely apologise.

Apparently the Cool gang doesent want this, so it won't be done, as whatever the cool gang decrees is bad is obviously in error, and i mean this as sincerely as possible.

If somone else wants to manage this, be my guest.

I'll instead go back to quiet old me. Or think of somthing along the lines of a continuation of Rui's news batches.

Sorry for all the trouble, just trying to do somthing nice.

Apparently the Cool gang doesent want this, so it won't be done, as whatever the cool gang decrees is bad is obviously in error, and i mean this as sincerely as possible.

I'll instead go back to quiet old me. Or think of somthing along the lines of a continuation of Rui's news batches.

Sorry for all the trouble, just trying to do somthing nice.

Again, Sorry.

Level 26
Oh! I almost forgot to comment on xarwin.

xD lol, what dirty little secrets? That moderators moderate stuff? That all moderators were users once?That some wear boxers and some wear briefs?

Do I really have to say it again, that a moderator should behave?
I don't really like to do so, but if I find anyone posting bitching stuff below about this I will carry it to the chieftain. And I'm known for killing mods, so take care (you want to make your response? VM me but leave this thread alone like a real moderator should do)

On a positive road we go!

FUCKING LOL
EGO

ok...bring something new to the table, something new that hasnt been said
I will clearly list what was that i pointed out here

oh this is great. I really love watchman's post. it has the same whiny quality i see in one of those once-a-month "rally under my flag of awesome equality, my fellow normal users. we shall overthrow the tyranny that is the hive staff". but except this has less reading material and i dont have to reply because its a newspaper and no one replies to a newspaper. nor can i in any way. this is great and this is gonna be weekly instead of being monthly? AWWW MAAH LAWWDY i am in literacy heaven. and it is so lucky that this constructive criticism on the system of the site takes 2/5 of the whole reading material. i wouldnt want to miss out on any of that juicy drama
  • This article is whiny. it is the same old shit we hear everyday. this got old really fast. The implied message here is that you dont use these sorts of stories unless they DONT sound whiny. NOONE brought up this point before my original post.
  • This article is whiny, there for NOT constructive(there is your beloved word again). To be constructive and funny, it must be a satire. there is a differance between satire and a rant with a lot of vulgarity. the implied message here is for you to mature up and come up with more intricate way to do this. NOONE brought up this point before my original post.
  • This particular post is VERY long. The implied message is that you shorten it or make the rest of the newspaper longer. aaron was the first to point this out and his remark hasnt been acknowledged.

and check out the superb layout skills. it looks like a lot of small articles at first sight is actually 1 same article but coloured differently every paragraph for some UNKNOWN REASON. its an optical illusion :eek:.
  • Not only did reinforced the message that the layout was bad, i SPECIFIED one of the reason WHY it was bad. the implied message here is that you keep to a coherent colour scheme as well as coherent use of columns. NOONE brought up this point before my original post.

that that giant ass white header. wow. its pure whiteness so reminds me of a real newspaper. you know how all newspapers are made out of glow-in-the-dark white paper? and i love how my pupils tenses up and spas when i see it. also, its sheer size. Bigger the better, right? it also tells me so much information, not to mention forcing me to utilize my entire screen.
  • The first point being made here is that it is so blindingly white. The implied message here is that you DONT make it blindingly white. NOONE brought up this point before my original post.
  • The size is not so much the matter but the way the given space has been utilised is appalling. the implied message here is that you utilise the space more or change the size of the header. the utilising part, NOONE brought up this point before my original post.

and great job to the editor for keeping all the profanities in. i mean. obviously we need maximum vulgarity since we need to set a good example to all the new-comers. if this is gonna be in the front page of the site, obviously it needs to show the right attitude to anyone that might see it. and wow. you know that old saying, "you learn something new everyday"? i never knew the word is "annus", not "anus" like i've been always using. imagine the embarrassment if i misspelt that word in front of the whole site.
  • So much unnecessary vulgarities. i dont think i need an explanation here. the implied message here is "grow up a bit".NOONE brought up this point before my original post.
  • Your article contained a very obvious spelling mistake. the implied message here is that you proofread your article before you post them. NOONE brought up this point before my original post.

and the model section. IS IT INSIGHTFUL OR WHAT?! i mean. it describes detail by detail on what the animations are. AND if gives us the link to the model so we can check the animations right next to the commentary. your step by step commentary on the animation is a vital part. without it, a regular user will be at a loss. and something like a little interview with the creator himself would have been too much. you know. a little insight into the creator's mind so people can actually learn something off this newspaper or take inspiration?
  • the information you have given about the model is rather lacking. the detail about the animation is totally redundant. why read your article when the users can simply check it out for themselves. the implied message here is that you put something more insightful instead. NOONE brought up this point before my original post.

oh. and that picture of the robot toilet. haha move along, frosty and ash and all oldfags. we have a real comedian here. not to mention, that pic deserved a whole crap loads of space for it because of its sheer awesome.
  • The picture isnt funny and it shouldnt have too such a massive amounts of space. Once again, pointing out another specific flaw in your layout. implied message here is that you decrease the space or utilise it more. NOONE brought up this point before my original post.
i really like how it even labels it "The funny page". it is like it is asking you to not to forget that this is supposed to be funny, just in case you were too stupid to realised it is funny.
  • newspapers dont label their funny pages. not with such a massively large header. the implied message here is that what you should try to do is to make it funny without announcing that it is supposed to be funny. NOONE brought up this point before my original post.

haha very funny. just remember kids. sarcasm and satire is not exclusively used or owned by you. not saying dont satirise the staff or a system of the site. i am saying do it in a way that assholes like myself have no way to pick a fight with it. Also. swearing is for dumb people. i am sure you can think of 1 funny way to spice things up instead of resorting to swearing.

your reading material, as mentioned is terrible. the format of the whole thing leaves something to be desired. and the special interview doesnt even mention at the start that she is an icon mod AS WELL as a chat mod. if you want to be official about things, be official and provide every detail that an average user might find useful. you put these things AT THE START. not in mid question where it confuses everyone.
that one should be mostly be self explanatory.

the point that i am trying to make is that
  • i dont make a point that has already been pointed out by someone because that makes it redundant. i bring up new points or reinforce the old one. not to mention, if i bring up new points without reason, it makes me look like a sheep.
  • all of my comments had a purpose, each of them with rather obvious(to those who are willing to see it) messages on how you can improve. you simply chose to ignore it because you dont like criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.