• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive's Gathering Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Hello guys,

In this thread we are going to share our interesting experiences on Wc3 modding so far. What are you doing here? Is that modeling? Or texturing? Scripting? Terraining? Or whatever except trolling. Share why you love to? What do you feel when you are creating things? What do you feel when you submit them at resource sections? Or anything you want to share about your job here, what's the fun/boring things of it? Anything.

Thought it's fun to hear everybody's sharing about this matter, isn't it? The goal of this thread is for wider knowledge and understanding among users. I believe not all of you are able or have time to learn /deeply/ every single field of Wc3 modding (modeling, skinning, etc), right?

Personally, I'm interested to know, what's the fun thing to become a modeler? What's fun to be a terrainer? But I also want to know what's the trouble they often get while they're doing their job?

Well, just let's start.

Here is mine

I'm mainly a coder here, but I also love to develop maps. However, developing map is not an easy thing to do, at least for me. Let's say I have 10 map ideas and concepts, perhaps I can only realize ~2 of them. I admit that people who can consecutively create maps are praise-worthy, especially for them who can make a great maps over and over again without tiring, I know some of them.

While developing maps (project), I often engage myself into another smaller business like writing snippets, systems, spells, or even creating smaller maps. For me, working on one single thing without any recess is damn boring, I often stopped my projects because of that. If I'm getting bored in one project, then I can move to the another one and pause the current. And it works nicely I guess. Now I have higher chance to actually realize my ideas and concepts, even if it needs months of development.

Well, for coding, I just love to see my spaghetti codes work :grin: Something that often causes me to fail on my concepts is technically-impossible to solve problem, or at least not yet discovered. For example, I'm still failing to create a simple system to turn unit's magic immunity on and off, that simple.

Also, I often feel kinda over-excited when I was about to submit things. Some people may notice that I often submit not-too-well-prepared resources. Even sometimes I decorated the resource's presentations (descriptions) several days after I submit that resource. Or I often wrote a big "UNDER CONSTRUCTION" there, whereas I could submit it later after the description has done, but I didn't.
You kinda rushed in submitting the map.
I got that feedback somewhere. Well, I'm still having problem to hold my self not to get-rushed on submitting things, that results in many minor updates I made on my resources, and that's not a cool thing of course. I wonder if it happens to anybody else other than me :grin:

Then, how 'bout you guys? I hope you got something nice to be shared.

Happy sharing!

I agree with you for the most part of your share. Especially this;
I just love to see my spaghetti codes work

I was into, initially, map making. But I went on to learn more of GUI when my map got rejected. I got immersed into the Trigger Editor. Then, after a long break from learning, one year and one month ago I started to use JASS. I also started extracting and editing models (so they don't look extracted) around that time.

After another hiatus, in the middle of this year I started making models from scratch... it's pretty enjoyable.

Level 24
Well, I was into Terraining, why I love it?, its because I was inspired by the greates terrainer in Hive's terrains, making me to create starting from Wc3 WE standard to UTM Terraining then to Reality Terraining, although, its tiring, the tiring pays off when you finish it. When I upload it, it makes me embarass because of its dirteness, but then I found modelling, I contribute models in Hive, making model request for people, and making scratch models to test my skills, I'm getting a little gooder at it, but sometimes, it gets me tired and bored, making me stop and sleep, but its also fun, making me to do more modelling than terraining,

Thats all :)

I am mainly a Modeler here, still learning the Way of 3D,
at First, I Use War3ModelEditor to do all the stuff (and I can't do any usable model at all),
so I found something called Mdlvis, Then Later, I founded Matrix Eater, and At Last, I got Myself A Blender and Milkshape3d

My Way Of Modeling
Crappy Trash -> Geomerge Model -> Blender Scratch Model -> ??? (The Future)

I'm Currently trying to learn Animating and try to make better model from scratch
i wanted to open a Zoo In Hive and Remake all the model of warcraft as well as bring other games to warcraft
"I Want to Make the Best Horse Model in the Hive"

Making Trigger in Warcraft Map is Fun, and I can do some Simple GUI Spells/Trigger
But I can't do Jass yet though, might as well learn that someday

I will someday make a Map or something...

and If Possible, I would Like to make a Map Called TheHiveworkshop with Hive's
"Famous/Have Own Avatar" Member as Hero
for example, Ujimasa Hojo, Kuhneghetz, Edge45 and Me

Status
Not open for further replies.