• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Competition #2 - Racial Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
First WIP. And first attempt to skin using Brush (meaning no dodge, no burn or no smudge).
Done the face and ear for the moment. I feel a bit proud of how it turned out.

Watch Kael turning into Dracula.

Attachments

• Dracula-Skin-WIP.jpg
    Dracula-Skin-WIP.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 280
Level 9
So sad...

Jeez... Dan van Ohllus, first document on that subject - that is, Dracula - THEN go for it. I am Romanian - and proud of it - and I'd say I don't enjoy how it turned out.

Because we all tend to do and believe things only from what we hear from other people. And this lead to false myths about Vlad Dracul - or "Dracula" as you know him.

Read that article and see for yourself what you should do more about it so that it rises up to its name.

That is, did you document on it or not prior to designing it?

Level 6
UPDATE
  • Black armor (still shading)
  • Edited hat
  • Edited Boots
  • Fixed chin (no more square chin huray :grin: )
PS:does the wc3viewer screenie count as an ingame screenshot?

Attachments

• ss.JPG
    ss.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 109
  • ssss.JPG
    ssss.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 75
  • sss.JPG
    sss.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 110
  • sssss.JPG
    sssss.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 101
  • ssssss.JPG
    ssssss.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 91
  • sssssss.JPG
    sssssss.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 87
  • sssssssss.JPG
    sssssssss.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 96
Does dracula really count as an undead? I guess theres the dreadlord... Anyway, Pirate looks good and stag rider is good quality. Should be interesting :wink:

Well! Count Dracula is a vampire, and vampires are undead.

Oh, and you ,BlackDoom, I've discover something in the wikiinfo of Vlad III Dracul.

Wikipedia said:
Though Irish author Bram Stoker uses Vlad's name and locations in Transylvania, and Wallachia in his 1897 novel Dracula there is no documented proof that the historical figure is directly related to the literary character.

So Count Dracula (the fictional character) and Vlad III Dracul are NOT the same person, even if the writer used the same name and same location for the fictional character.

Level 9
Well! Count Dracula is a vampire, and vampires are undead.

Oh, and you ,BlackDoom, I've discover something in the wikiinfo of Vlad III Dracul.

So Count Dracula (the fictional character) and Vlad III Dracul are NOT the same person, even if the writer used the same name and same location for the fictional character.

I dare to differ. Ask anyone foreign to Romania and that person - if has any idea of where Romania is located, on Earth or Mars - will most likely add "Ah, yes, Dracula! I know of that country!!!".
And, Transylvania still exists as a region of my country. I don't want to flame this, but Dracula is how Vlad Dracul got to be known, as myths that he drunk the blood of those who he had impaled (usually enemies of his kingdom).
So... I've had enough of this while studying Romanian History. Yes, Dracula is a legendary character, but he was generated by the historical figure of Vlad Dracul.

Doesn't it seem to striking to ya the similarity between those 2 names? "Dracul" and "Dracula"?

Yes, BlackDoom. You win, since I don't have knowledge of the Romanian history!
But the skin will still be a vampire (will probably call it Vampire Lord for the moment).

Anyways, ontopic:

The guy who needs help:
You should change the chin. Now they look ugly on wrap.
And go for the pirate!

WILL THE ALLMIGHTY:
A Frostwyrm? That looks promising. Good luck though, since the faeriedragon's wrap is a bit tricky.

Werewulf:
Looks nice, though I don't like how the shield looks so dark.

Diionesist:
It will be hard to say that it is a nightelf.

Odin:
Nice, but it looks more like an old zombie than an old human. As camels_hump said, it's probably because of the skin tones and lips.

gromhellscream666:
Green beard looks out of place, even for an undead.

Level 5
Odin:
Nice, but it looks more like an old zombie than an old human. As camels_hump said, it's probably because of the skin tones and lips.

he did*
at least, the skin tone is warmer
i need ideas for the necklace though

anyway: a new WIP

EDIT:
Anyways..enough with Dracula's background
I gots a question..are Blood Elves allowed in this?

guess they are

Attachments

• Uten navn-1.jpg
    Uten navn-1.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Level 6
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooh! Can i enter 1 skin on many models?:eekani:
i found out something nice about my skin
it looks good on HellHound,Dlaran Mutant makes him look like a nazi,Pitlord(wicked) and on dranai

odd..

Attachments

• ww.JPG
    ww.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 207
  • w.JPG
    w.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 201
  • www.JPG
    www.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 157
  • wwww.JPG
    wwww.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 198
  • wwwww.JPG
    wwwww.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 190
Level 18
@ Guy who needs help-..yea you do really need help
Never apply a skin to another model saying "it looks good"
Stay with your normal model and I can assure you a skin like that will not be accepted for the contest

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Please stop making undead conversions, it is very uncreative, and probably the "easy way out."

I for one, won't vote for an undead conversion unless it's actually creative like WILL's. I want to see interesting ideas.

Level 18
Yea I wanna see some cool Undead convers
The Faerie Dragon to Frost Wyrm will be badass if done right
Werewulf's Night Elf Dude is plain sex, and WILL be gettin my vote..as of now
And here is a WIP of my skin..
Youuuu guessed it!
A Blood Elf Assassin!

Attachments

• Blood Elf Assassin.JPG
    Blood Elf Assassin.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 199

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I'm not completely sure that Blood Elves are allowed. And wasn't that an Idea Herio had ages ago?

Why not try to skin something different from a Blood Elf or a Naga?

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Blood Elves are not exactly a playable race in Warcraft 3 like the Humans, Orcs, Night Elves & Undeads are.
However, they are a part of the Human race. Blood Elf Sorceress, Spell Breaker and Bloodmage etc.

Hmm, I supose a Blood Elf would be acceptable, since they are playable as units and under the ownership of the Human race.

Level 18
Blood elves are in the TFT
Cough* Blood Mage, Spellbreaker, and the Priests and Sorceresses*Cough
And it's not like I'm just gonna do a cheesy recolor of this either
This skin is gonna be customed up to that small annoying weapon thing the Assassin carrys

First off, ty for response The guy who needs help!:grin:
I'll follow your advice (try to, anyway :wink: ) and shade the chin a bit more.
Bout the red lines. That's only for (C), but then I remembered, I didn't skin anywhere the red lines are, + the pic is small :bored: ... Their NOT part of the skin, if that's what you thought :p
Chriz, I think you're right. Undead conversions are the easy way out. You can easy do them, but if done well, makes one of the best skins (I think...)

Werewulf and THE_END are right, difference between Blood elves and High Elves, but both High Elves and Blood Elves are availible in Warcraft III...:spell_breaker:

Level 8
Nightwing-WIP

Eat that :smile: (Most difficult yet, to get the shield right wrapped and to short the ears in the right way)

Good luck to all challengers in this contest.

EDIT: 2-3 h worked on it.

Attachments

• Nightwing-WIP.jpg
    Nightwing-WIP.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 209
  • Nightelfhawk.TGA
    512 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Level 8
Added it here.

There is nothing to worry about ? Would be nice if you tell what you mean, the tatoos or the shield ? Of course I made them singlie and pasted them in, otherway I would damage the skin all the time ? I recolord at start the red and yellow parts to start more easier and to make mayself a picture of it in blue (nightelf) colors. Nothing done at the hawk yet and the nightelf is with the face/shield finished.

Chaos

Level 18
The face does not match AT all
There is no way you can make that a chick, there is NOOO chest
I would suggest making it some sort of druid riding the dragonhawk
Which you are making into an owl I'm assuming

Last edited:
Level 8
Id say 30% cnp and 70% recolour.

Please read the rules next time.

and even if it took your 3hrs...that doesnt help your point.

If you say so ... I just based the face on a nightelf one ... I do not see 30% cnp and I'll do my best to finish it and getting qualified.

I read the rules :eekani:

And I didn't want to help my point with the timeperiod I needed to created this WIP.

Thanks.

Chaos

Does look kinda CnP, Chaos, but I'm sure if you get it done, edit abit more, you'll get it right...:thumbs_up:
I suggest, instead of making parts of the skin in another file, use layers, much better to get them matching eachother without ruining the skin...

Anyways, here's a new WIP pic of my skin:
4hl81ow.jpg

Thinking I'll redo the entire face, the unwrap makes almost impossible to make the mouth much bigger, and it's mostly crap :bored:
Also think I'll redo the pants, doesn't look good....

Level 8
and if your wip is like this, then i suggest you start over actually draw your skin. (sorry if i sound harsh)

It is not ? I wrote you, I made the tatoos and the shield myself, you show it like I take them from somewhere !?? And yes I used the face of a nightelf, I CnP, but I changed it a lot and I go hell under 25% of CnP !?? The hair isn't CnP, it was colored blue and changed it to hair style. And I wrote it already twice, I do recolor before I start anything on the skin. These aren't finished parts, even the the start points, like the armor isn't finished in any way, so go away with your comments like "... just recolor" or "CnP", if you had asked I would explained it.

Thanks, maybe I stop posting any WIP any longer. Even if I get this in the best way out, the guys think of you comments, like just recolor and CnP and they will never judge me right, sounds unfair, but it's the truth.

Greetings,
Chaos

First of, talk animation is sucky!:thumbs_down:
The teeth is bending invards, + only abit of the mouth opens, like I said, think I'll redo the entire face. The book isn't quite finished yet... Think I'll make som shadind and signs...
Ty for replying :grin: :grin:
@ Chaos: For what it's worth, I think your skin definietly looks good!:thumbs_up: Gotto agree with Wulfy one that something of it looks like CnP...:sad:
@ Werewulf: He allready said that some of it was recolor, he wasn't finished with those parts...

Level 9
Chaos, calm down, man. The situation you are facing is one of the reasons I usually do not post WIPs.
Don't give up yet. You can just as well PM some people if you want some advices on your skins.

Point is your work must look good in the end. That, without containing notably previously existing resources.

And don't think you will be judged like that. The poll may be slightly influenced by the opinion posted by some, but in the end, the skin is judged by a sum of criteria. Make sure to respect those criteria, as user comments while still WIP are not taken into account - if I am not wrong about this.

Otherwise... good luck converting it from blood elf to night elf. Try not to abuse with the blue color. Night elves tend more to a combination of pink and dark blue... or hell... Point is - not just blue.

Level 8
Chaos, calm down, man. The situation you are facing is one of the reasons I usually do not post WIPs.
Don't give up yet. You can just as well PM some people if you want some advices on your skins.

Point is your work must look good in the end. That, without containing notably previously existing resources.

And don't think you will be judged like that. The poll may be slightly influenced by the opinion posted by some, but in the end, the skin is judged by a sum of criteria. Make sure to respect those criteria, as user comments while still WIP are not taken into account - if I am not wrong about this.

Otherwise... good luck converting it from blood elf to night elf. Try not to abuse with the blue color. Night elves tend more to a combination of pink and dark blue... or hell... Point is - not just blue.

Thanks ! The hell, I won't give up and the color parts, I know I took a look in different nightelf units, they are mostly blue, purple and white. I just wanted to be nice with a WIP, I'll gonna leave this out for future.

Well, it's getting a flying spy for the night, called Nightwing who can probably make himself invisible :smile: Well, I wanted to use mostly blue and white for the hawk and just the warrior in nightelf theme.

Chaos

Level 9
Please note - I do not encourage any against the rules behavior or acts.

The idea is to make them look as a whole. Try not to use radical color schemes for the two entities on that unit - the human/elf and the critter.

A color scheme on dark blue colors would go along nice with the blending and naming ideas. Try to insert the team-color so that it fits the entire design. And... don't use negative colors one next to the other one. And avoid a lot of dark colors. Usually, when you see something dark or nearly black, it's usually so in order to hide the lack of detail.

Good luck with it, nevertheless!

Status
Not open for further replies.