1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The member Kam is making HIVE coasters. Take a look. For every coaster you buy, Hive gets $1.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it. Join (Optionally) Paired Techtree Contest #11 - Techno Magic now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. Hero Contest #8 is up and running! This time it's a joint contest between artists and coders. Go here for team matchmaking.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The ninth Concept Art Contest has launched. Enter now!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our first StarCraft contest, The Galaxy Terraining Contest #1 - World Wonders has started. Enter to show off your Galaxy Editor skills and win a custom rank icon among other things.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Ever wanted to get your sets ready for fast texturing while still having fun? Now it is possible with our newest Mini-Texturing Contest.
    The Skeleton Units need your dire help!
    Dismiss Notice

Terraining Contest #14: Racial Settlements

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by fladdermasken, Feb 16, 2012.

1. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Administrator

What happened to that other entry?

2. Azurot

Azurot
    I started to not like it. Lol

3. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Administrator

Right. Happens every now and then.

4. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

I might join this, but not with my latest terrain (sorrah Keiji and flagger ;D) Now I have yet to come up with an idea...

5. RiotZ

RiotZ
    May join this.

6. Belgarath

Belgarath
    azurot, i'd leave the camera as it is but just reduce the height right up there very slightly. the textures are quite stretched etc, little details and all. or raise the camera z by a few bits

7. stonneash

stonneash
    i would like to join
    my forest\jungle is something that i really pushed the levels and worked hard,suggestions please

Attached Files:

8. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Administrator

Feedback in 8 words: Try not to fling ugly textures at us.

Sure, I'll elaborate. Most models you're using are generally nice and decorous, but up close they really look disgusting. Part of what you strive for in terraining is pulling attention away from this, and sticking them where they're basically highlighted is a slip in the wrong direction.

By the way, which race are you portraying?

9. stonneash

stonneash
    forest trolls in there natural habitat, i will browse the net for some HD&Q FT models
    please tell me egzactlly what u wont me to fix\add\delete\move\replace??

10. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Administrator

Fern (replace, relocate, recolor), grass in the foreground (... exterminate), palm in the foreground (relocate slightly, possibly rescale). Then I'd probably mow the hills a tad, clear some space. Also I guess you're cropping this quite alot, you might consider leaving some space for the head motive.
    Try picking up on some inspiration from Hinterlands, might do you some good.

11. xorkatoss

xorkatoss
    might join this contest for fun, are total noob terrainers allowed to join? :p

12. M0rbid

M0rbid
    Everyone is.

13. xorkatoss

xorkatoss
    well here is my progress so far:
    Murloc Village.jpg
    any suggestions?

14. Amargaard

Amargaard
    @xorkatoss:
    Well, I would make some river in the foreground, tint the grass to match the ground, add more doodads (more grass, rocks, mushrooms, plants, lily pads, cattails), make some visible background terrain, and finally add a matching fog :)

15. xorkatoss

xorkatoss
    thnx for your help:D
    btw this is the first time i enter a terraining contest and this is also my first attempt so that's the reason it's so bad xD

16. RiotZ

RiotZ
    Shorter grass, lots of it, small enough where it looks realistic. Get rid of that tent it's for Barrens terrain sets and looks cheesy with Murlocs. Also, Murlocs wouldn't have walls, they would use their natural swampy environment as their advantageous home, if it were me I would have started this as a elevated chunk of land in a dense, foggy swamp with an encampment of Murlocs using a large tree as their home.

Stick to Sunken models.

Edit: I think I'm doing Humans, living in a port city by the sea bordering the ocean between Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms (Lordaeron and Azeroth).

17. stonneash

stonneash
    use the utm, there u could find a beter wall,tent,watch tower and a rive,and search for HQ models of murlocs

18. xorkatoss

xorkatoss
    thnx for all the suggestions!! but im sort of trying to make this:
    Murloc Village.png
    well im not trying to copy every detail of that, but im mostly basing it on that pic

hmm ok, ill take a look at the utm

19. RiotZ

RiotZ
    If I were mimicking that I would get a better tent,
    there are better tents here on the hive, and I would definitely scrap the wall. And use WoW Murlocs if rules allow it.

20. stonneash

stonneash
    my forest is in progress,any suggestions are welcome and i think i should change the topic from jungle\forest trolls to something else