• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain 1.0

This tool can convert a heighmap (tga) into a warcraft terrain (w3e). Maby it is usefull for big maps, because it's faster then the editor. It's open source so the source code is included. (Use SFmpq and cxImagelib.)
Have fun,
.:DarkLord
Contents

Terrain 1.0 (Binary)

Reviews
ZypherXII [02-07-2008]: ~Approved~
Level 6
Is there a way to make it so that there is water around the landmass when I use it or do I have to deal with the water later?

Level 4
Sweet, this is an awesome tool. Now if someone could make a tool that does the opposite that would be great too.

Last edited:
Level 15
Dont bite if I look like a noob now, but someone good at programming (like this who created a program for terrains) should make a binded program where you dont need to use other programs to continue your work.
For example:
In Wc3 Model Editor you can't delete parts or do something more :ugly: so you need to use vertex modifier or mdx converter...
And in this program, Like DarkLord wrote 13. parts you need to make your terrain. That *****!

I am sorry Darklord for the last sentence :con:

For all of you still asking the question "what does it do?":

You basically paint a 2D picture using gray-scales and you can turn it into a terrain height-field. For christ sakes just DL the damn thing and test it out if you don't understand it.

As for what I've read so far, it does not work on Windows XP. So.. instead of coming on here and complaining that it doesn't work if you do use Windows XP, read the comments and stop complaining.

Thanks. :D

Level 1
hi all this is my first message on this forum.
I'm french, so sorry for english mistakes.
A height map, also known as heightfield, is generally in 3D programs a way for modelling a landscape.
It is very powerful, because you only need to paint a 2D picture with a grey scale and each grey level will be converted into a specific height by the 3D program. The lighter the color is the higher the point of the map is.
The conversion is done here by the DarkLord tool, i think. It looks very powerful for sparing time in original map making, i will try it as soon as i can.
:)

this explained everything ty gadax for your insightful information :) now i understand how to use this instead of all of these peoples random stuff there saying :):grin:

Level 17
I did exactly like Element of Water said, but when I open the map with WE I get the error: "Invalid shadow map file". I used Paint Shop Pro 9 to resize and save to .tga, photoshop to desaturate and mastermpq to import the heightmap file. I saved the heightmap file to War3map.w3e and removed the old one. What am I doing wrong? Please help.

Level 6
Lets see here:
Noobs comment - "What the **** does this thing do? I don't know what a heighmap is!"
Intermediate comment - "Hmmm, this tool makes no sense to me... what does it do?"
Pro comment - "Well this thing is so useful! It can be used so easily! 5 stars!!!"

My comment: "I don't understand this, I am an intermediate mapmaker. Add some more description so noobs and people like me will be able to understand. What is a heighmap?"

That's what I think all the people would say.
But in my opinion, if I knew what this thing did, it'd be really good. So 3/5... for now :wink: .

True tht!! same 3/5

Level 5
I've managed to use this tool correctly, but i'm just wondering does adding a new heightmap always remove water as it seems to with me? I would like to have the map all water originallly, then add a new heightfield which would raise the continents above the water. Is there anwway I could do this?

Level 12
I believe that if, when making the map, you set the default terrain level to deep water, that it'll do it for you.

"This application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found.
Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

The Roflmao-software doesn't even work

Good job tho, I really like the sexy names of the files, for example SFmpq.dll is a really sexy name of a file...
Tho resource isn't useful, its still has some sexy filenames, so download if ur into that kinda thingies, my grade overall: 2/5

Edit 1:
Oh wait, do I have to go and search the internets for the missing file?
Cool, lets spread out our software files all over the internets making people have to go to different places and assemble all of the softwares files, really nice idea; Changed my grade to 3/5 for that troll-idea!

Edit 2:
And about 1-2 hours later, I have found and installed everything that is needed and made the first image-terrain map
Took a long time to understand this, wich is good, need more things that takes a lot of time to do
A cool idea could be import models or icons, maybe a "need to program" the icon to work program; a one-two hour code, I dont know, just using my fantasy.
Anyways, the grade, yeah; 4/5 for the time to comprehend this.

Oh almost forgooot! wc3 editor kept on crashing so had to test 100 wc3 editors before I got one to work (World Editor Enhanced/unlimited)
Felt like I were a detective solving a crime; 5/5 for that feeling!

The best damn software ever! 5/5

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Edit 3:
So if we look past these annoying things and get serious for a moment:

+ The program do what it says
- But description is really bad
- Gets a bit to high on some parts
+ Nice to make frames for parts of world or europe etc, wich this program suits perfectly for
- To assemble everything

Still I think this software deserves 4/5 wich is my serious and official vote

Last edited:
Level 12
ReDbEaN87, most people have that file installed already. If it's missing, install it. It's not that hard. It's self-explanatory.

ReDbEaN87, most people have that file installed already. If it's missing, install it. It's not that hard. It's self-explanatory.

I wasn't finished with my comment, NOW you can comment my comment with a new comment that I can comment

If I reply to your comment, and then you change it HOURS later, you can't blame me.

Plus, not to mention that comments on a resource should regard a vote of how useful the resource is for what it's supposed to be, not other things.

Chill m8, I wrote a serious grade aswell

Last edited:
Level 12
If I reply to your comment, and then you change it HOURS later, you can't blame me.

Plus, not to mention that comments on a resource should regard a vote of how useful the resource is for what it's supposed to be, not other things.

Level 1
Lets see here:
Noobs comment - "What the **** does this thing do? I don't know what a heighmap is!"
Intermediate comment - "Hmmm, this tool makes no sense to me... what does it do?"
Pro comment - "Well this thing is so useful! It can be used so easily! 5 stars!!!"

My comment: "I don't understand this, I am an intermediate mapmaker. Add some more description so noobs and people like me will be able to understand. What is a heighmap?"

That's what I think all the people would say.
But in my opinion, if I knew what this thing did, it'd be really good. So 3/5... for now :wink: .

:vw_wtf::vw_wtf::vw_wtf::vw_wtf::vw_wtf::vw_wtf::vw_wtf::vw_wtf::vw_wtf::vw_wtf:

Level 5
"The program can't start because MFC71.DLL is missing from your computer."

Where exactly do I install this? Do you have detailed installation instructions? Really wished this worked!

Level 3
working great. but maybe needs a better tutorial too. but it worked for me after making me mad a few time.
^^

Level 11
Can't get to this to work. Does anyone know what specific visual redistribute I need to download to get the missing dll files?

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Both files were part of Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003.

According to this thread on stackoverflow.com, the Visual C++ 2003 runtime was not available as a separate download because it was included with the .NET 1.1 runtime.

Download Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package from Official Microsoft Download Center
(Edit 02/12/2020: mostly irrelevant download which can not solve this dlls issue effortlessly, if at all)

In case this Redistributable is not compatible with your version of Windows, then I suggest giving the (untested by me) Basic Runtime Libraries installer by Wilenty a try. The reason is, it includes old 16-bit and 32-bit runtime files, and notably Visual C++ 2003 v7.10.6119.0
Basic Runtime Libraries – Wilenty Software

... but please refrain as much as possible from installing anything else. These third-party installers may have problems / bugs of their own.

** Update 02/12/2020 **

Because so many of the legacy dll files are missing on Windows 10 x64 and because Microsoft never provided afaik any official installer for said files, I suggest using abbodi1406's VisualCppRedist AiO to install them. *Be sure to run it with the /aiE switch*, so that it only installs the legacy files and leaves everything else unmodified. This repack ships with MFC71.dll v7.10.6119.0 and msvcr71.dll v7.10.7031.4 (as well as with many other legacy files).

Last edited:
Level 7
This is a powerful tool! I like it. But I think some features can be added or updated because this tool is so promising. This program can be called TerrainEdit. The potential updates may be as follows:
  • The recognitions and generations of water, trees and doodads can be considered to be added. It is expected to generate all things except for the objects and the codes just by one click.
  • It can construct a new map with the compiled terrain, or export the terrain related files such as .w3e, and .shd. There is no need to always choose a map file.
  • There can be a preview for the generated terrain. Some modifications can be available.

Level 7
I am guessing that at least one of the required files should now be in your C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322 folder.
Oh, right. Thanks! It only included the MSVCR71.dll file though but it didn't matter because I found the other file in another game folder :D