• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #9 - Biome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Don't know any Hive rule that forbids downloading XGM stuff, there isn't actually any rule even for using WoW rips in your map. There is rule against exports from non Blizzard games only as far as I can find. XGM does have actual proper Wc3 models besides WoW and other rips.

@Ragnoras
Isn't that kinda a stretch, Draenei aren't native to Terrokar fores and Shattrath houses many races. And isn't Exodar their capital anyway. Arakkoa would be more fitting if they had models. I would rather go with your first choice.

Level 25
Attached a picture of some ideas for buildings. Obviously not all of these are gonna be used, maybe only 2 or 3.

Thinking of making some of them hover like the hall of dead from undeads.

Attachments

• buildings.jpg
    buildings.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 183
Level 16
Okay made up my mind, i'm starting with Fallen Elves (Shadow/Dark). Call 'em whatever ya' want, but wll be dark twisted and evil.

Level 21
My guess is those are Franksters Blood elf tank models (1, 2, 3 etc) rotated and mixed with each other. Little to chaotic and unclear for my taste but hey it fits the Lord of Dust idea. Totaly should have ability to hover and expand in that way instead of sending worker to the gold mine.

@Jokemaster
Excellent, twisted and eviiiiiil just don't forget to stick forest/desert theme in there.

Level 25
My guess is those are Franksters Blood elf tank models (1, 2, 3 etc) rotated and mixed with each other. Little to chaotic and unclear for my taste but hey it fits the Lord of Dust idea. Totaly should have ability to hover and expand in that way instead of sending worker to the gold mine.

@Jokemaster
Excellent, twisted and eviiiiiil just don't forget to stick forest/desert theme in there.

Yeah, it's even way cooler because they are animated ingame.
I did this in the last contest i won also (the no import one), used existing models and rotated/scaled multiple of them to form new buildings.

Odd effects can be achieved when you fiddle around with rotations with existing models.

And yeah the buildings look odd, but they are temples of sort i guess, so they are suposed to be a bit weird.
Also it's a fictional race, i am just trying to make them interesting.

But i am not gonna use too much of these, as i said, maybe 2 or 3. Other buildins will be a bit more clear in function so it doesn't all look random (also using too much would probably cause graphic lag, so restraining it to buildings you won't build too often).

Last edited:
Level 21
For me problem was that many models, at least in game ones, lack bottom and back texture. But for my first contest I did merge buildings, I used I think Goblin Merchant, random corals and Tree of Life roots to make murloc main building and many units had to use attachments since murlock/mur'guls are all same.

And will look much better in game where models aren't static and have really cool animations. Part of me hopes you can "awaken" main building and attack the enemy with it.

Level 25
For me problem was that many models, at least in game ones, lack bottom and back texture. But for my first contest I did merge buildings, I used I think Goblin Merchant, random corals and Tree of Life roots to make murloc main building and many units had to use attachments since murlock/mur'guls are all same.

And will look much better in game where models aren't static and have really cool animations. Part of me hopes you can "awaken" main building and attack the enemy with it.

Yeah since you are limited to one of the main buildings, it needs to have a strong defensive mechanism against an early rush.

And yes, a lot of the models have nothing on the bottom, which makes it hard to do some ideas.

Level 16
@VeljkoM I'm going to use roots and tentacles and various types of bugs so i think that fits kinda into both as roots= forest and bugs fit into both XD

Now i have a little request for the contestants does anyone have working triggers for using custom birth animations. I am asking becouse i'm using a local language version and find it difficult ot make them :/

Level 21
I sort of went to the model editor and changed the path of birth and death animation of buildings. I set them all to use naga birth and death (can be any of the 4 races but that would change them too) so I can then just import model Sand Udeath and set its path to replace "Objects\Spawnmodels\Naga\NagaDeath\NagaDeath.mdx". That way all my buildings now have sand explosion as death animation. Birth and death animations aren't part of the building models, those models are all attachments that can be edited.

I suppose you will use Corrupt Night Elf Birth. (Oh I was wrong...)

Level 16
<EPIC FACEPALM> Of course i tottaly forgot about it! The world editor properties. Now i can simply replace the naga births and will have the perfect function thx Veljkom. And nope i will be using the HOS birth from shadow elves.

Level 2
Oh, no WoW rips?
Man some of them would fit with my techtree very well >.<
Oh well, I guess I'll have to find something else :p

Level 2
Well don't take my word for it, as someone mentioned it might be fine because it's Blizzard property anyway.

However WoW models are a lot more detailed, might look odd compared to other models.

I guess you're right, but still... that sand golem :p
I could do a light skin change on a Wc3 golem though, when I think about it... changing the texture of a golem is allowed right, since there are no golems on the map?

Level 21
  • Ripped resources from other games are not allowed to be used, unless they are from another Blizzard Entertainment game or if their license permits the use in maps (proper proof for this use must be put in the description).
From Map Submission rules. Wow falls under Blizzard Entertainment so you are allowed to have WoW models in map. Can't upload the model of course unless heavily edited.

Of course I would still advise against using WoW models as they don't fit and unless you know how to edit models they will lack Team Color, proper animations and to many animations in general and are big in file size (less concern with 8mb but still...). Also it isn't that hard to export Golem model and make it use a skin (I would rather consider Water Elemental though). By the way maybe you could consider sand elemental?

Level 2
Of course I would still advise against using WoW models as they don't fit and unless you know how to edit models they will lack Team Color, proper animations and to many animations in general and are big in file size (less concern with 8mb but still...). Also it isn't that hard to export Golem model and make it use a skin (I would rather consider Water Elemental though). By the way maybe you could consider sand elemental?

I didn't even think about team color... :p
Thanks for the model suggestion, but it doesn't really fit what I was trying to do, although I might use it for another unit...
Anyway, I already did a color change of the Golem texture by now :p

Level 30
As I judge of the contest, I have to chip in with my two cents.

You are most welcome to use WoW models, however, don't be surprised if I give you lower rating on aesthetics part. WoW models tend to use slow, lasting animations, and their overall quality of animations, texture and model base is significantly higher than standard Warcraft models, hence creating a gap in there. I'm not trying to say that every model or skin should have exactly same quality, as this is merely impossible to achieve, but having a drastic difference will definitively crush down the visuals.

Not to mention their horribly great size as someone mentioned, due to 8mbs limit the Warcraft provides.
Guys, there are tons of models and skins on THW. Improvise :)

Level 21
In short WoW models aren't practical (no tc, many animation issues, big poly count, unreasonable size...) and might even hurt the "Theme criteria" scores. Still this is techtree making contest, visual content is just fraction of the product you are making so better focus on making race work.

I am more interested about the point Kingz made regarding hero number. I doubt it is disqualification material but will it affect gameplay/balance score duo to limiting tactical abilities of race or something.

Level 18
Some models and skins for help

Here is some WoW like models and skins created by Paladinjst
Credits to him and they are not ripps :goblin_yeah:
Also maybe someone can create a Human\Alliance race beacause that pack in zip file has a lot of Alliance skins :goblin_boom:
Also how can i change the death animation path of buildings in ME

Attachments

• WoWResources.rar
    5.5 MB · Views: 96
Level 21
In model editor when you open desired building go to > windows > node manager, then for night elf buildings select SPNxDNAM, for undead is SPNxDUME and Naga is SPNxDNBD and just change data to something else. For humans and orcs I guess you would have to make Event Object yourself. This allows only for the in game animations to be used so if you want custom I would suggest you to set all buildings to use naga death animation and then when you import model you want to use for death set its path to "Objects\Spawnmodels\Naga\NagaDeath\NagaDeath.mdx".

Should you really be uploading someones work like that, couldn't you give the link instead (not sure why you posted at all). And I am no expert but those skins at least to me look like copy pasted from WoW textures (I could be wrong). But more importantly the theme of this contest is Forest/Desert biome so Alliance race doesn't exactly fit nor is this request thread to even ask for that.

Level 25
Wanted to make a desert nomads race that builds mainly 3 size tents and upgrades them to be different purpose, after having assembled an unit roster shockingly realized everyone is helluva lot busy so nobody can make the suitable tent models atm.
TL;DR: This contest got delayed too much.

TL;DR on a single sentence? xD

Also expanding my unit rooster with Revenant models/skins, they work so good for the theme of the race.

Level 21
@Eagle XI
Wait, since when were we allowed to request models for our race. I thought the only help we are allowed were testers. And don't give up, models aren't the point when making race it is the techtree.

@Kingz
Seems logical, they are living suits of armor.

Level 2
Still working, I guess I could put out a really early WIP, but at this point it seems useless :p

I have most of the race planned out though, it will be based on a type of obelisk that you can build, which can be transformed into a tower and it also interacts with a lot of the race's units. For example, one type of caster can teleport between the towers, and one can reflect light from it with it's shield to blind enemies.

I'm not sure how finished it will be at the end date, but I'll still try to make it in time I guess :p

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
@Eagle XI
Wait, since when were we allowed to request models for our race. I thought the only help we are allowed were testers.
If the Contest provides no restrictions as to imported content, then why not? Previous Contests have featured entries where the contestant made the models themselves... So I fail to see why he couldn't ask around.

For this Contest.

Level 21
^
Thats interesting, worthy to give a try atleast.

@Veljkom
Ah, well, then i hope you are completely ok with say, orc buildings tinted different color per purpose.

I was more thinking Centaur tents or Dreanor huts or Forest Trol tents and using attachments instead of coloring but sure what ever works. I myself don't place appearance that high on techtree priority list.

If the Contest provides no restrictions as to imported content, then why not? Previous Contests have featured entries where the contestant made the models themselves... So I fail to see why he couldn't ask around.

For this Contest.

The point was that asking someone to make content is outside help, when this contest is solo work. It isn't same when someone makes his content and when someone asks someone else to the work for him. The rule I was referring is "no teams" but I am more then ok if someone can tell me for sure that my conclusion* is wrong one.

(*I do not consider my conclusion a fact)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
The point was that asking someone to make content is outside help, when this contest is solo work. It isn't same when someone makes his content and when someone asks someone else to the work for him. The rule I was referring is "no teams" but I am more then ok if someone can tell me for sure that my conclusion* is wrong one.

(*I do not consider my conclusion a fact)
Actually yeah, I see what you're saying, that is different.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

The Amani - Update

238589-albums7653-picture90583.bmp

Ancestor
Uses dark magic to influence the battle.
More information will be available soon
Tribe Brute
Very powerful fighter. Can increase his attack speed, at the price of his health.
Tamed Bear
Slow attacking, but resiliant member of Amani troops. Can take a lot of punishment.

Level 21
I would call Redridge a mountain biome. Blackrock Clan primary location is Blackrock Mountain which is kinda is scorched wasteland (gone are the days when Blackrock was cool clan). You can just make "desert orcs" and don't need to base it on warcraft lore.

Didn't you anyway work on the desert goblins or something? Kinda late to start a whole new idea when end of contest is near.

Level 25
A small WIP of my race idea:

When the lords cast the spell to avoid the curse each lord house was bound to a different substance.

House of Kalem bound themselves to dust and sand, giving them an appetite for essence of other beings but leaving them devoid of any magical affinity, both offensive and defensive.

House of Phaeris bound themselves to ash and coal, giving them the ability to manipulate fire to an extent and generate heat but unable to regenerate mana. To overcome this Phaeris units often drain magic from lesser beings or share their mana to other Phaeris units.

House of Eerin bound themselves to the desert winds, making them elusive to hit and more magically attuned but are generally boasting weaker combat stats than units of other houses.

The idea was mostly driven by the complete lack of models for a full dust/sand race, thus ash, coal and wind had to be implemented to fill in the space.

Status
Not open for further replies.