• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Techtree Contest # 2: Altered Melee

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
techtreecontestlogohw2.png

Contest theme:
1. Creating a balanced, playable melee 2v2 map.
2. Creating two techtrees each balanced well with the other and adding them to the map.

Contest rules:
1. No map may violate the site's rules.
2. The features that may be edited are:
- Gameplay constants
- Game interface
- Object editor
- Trigger editor
3. Map size must be under 2Mb.
4. Imported models, skins, and icons are allowed, but will not take part in the judging criteria.
5. No pre-done triggered spells may be used in the map. All triggered spells must be created during the contest by the contestant alone.
6. Race techtrees may be created from scratch or by editing existing races.
7. Completed maps must be physically attached to the contest thread.
8. Creeps and tavern (neutral heroes may be as well edited)
9. Marketplaces and item shops may be edited to make the game more interesting.
10. Credits to authors of imports must be given either on the loading screen or in an in-game quest.
11. The map and the race shall be made for this contest alone, no pre-done work is allowed.

Judging Criteria:
1. How balanced are the two races?
2. How balanced is the map itself?
3. Does the map terrain look appealing?
4. If there are triggered spells, how efficient are they?
5. Are the race techtrees original and well thought-out?

Deadline:
Two months after the contest begin date.

Awards:
First Place: 75 rep and an award icon (hopefully)
Second Place: 35 rep
Third Place: 20 rep

Last edited:
Level 12
So you have to do 2 techtrees and a map. Hm... what about a deadline for it?
And about the map... shall you make it from scratch or edit an allrdy existing map?
And by altered melee, i guess that includes no quests in the map? right?

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Hm... what about a deadline for it?

Deadline shall be decided once/if the contest is approved.

And about the map... shall you make it from scratch or edit an allrdy existing map?

The maps will be scratch made.

And by altered melee, i guess that includes no quests in the map? right?

Altered melee maps are maps with altered races and such. They do not involve any quests or events.

Hmm I suppose that deadline should be long isn't it? Because making 2 races and giving the abils is not easy

Well, I'm thinking 2 months or less should work.

Level 35
Rule change needed....

Thought we discussed this in the other tread, but oh well..

. No pre-done triggered spells may be used in the map. All triggered spells must be created during the contest by the contestant alone.

This is a problem... because it limit users... as said already in the other tread not all can create custom spells, which is the same with the models... and those isnt limited to makers own creation specific for this contest. So custom premade spells (and from other then the creator of the races) should diffently be allowed.... else there would be no point in custom spells.

But else :wthumbsup:
Oh I like the felling of using my own emotions

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
This isn't a launching, MM, it's only a proposal.
The mods will be the ones to decide whether or not the contest is worth making.

And Red Baron, I don't know... I think that if custom pre-made spells are allowed then people might overuse them and cause lag etc, while if they make their own:
1. It will show that they're creative.
2. It will unique for each person.
3. It wouldn't be too complicated.

If pre-made spells were allowed, then they should be out of the judging criteria (like other imports). And that basically defeats the purpose of triggered abilities, upgrades etc.

Level 35
And Red Baron, I don't know... I think that if custom pre-made spells are allowed then people might overuse them and cause lag etc, while if they make their own:
1. It will show that they're creative.
2. It will unique for each person.
3. It wouldn't be too complicated.

If pre-made spells were allowed, then they should be out of the judging criteria (like other imports). And that basically defeats the purpose of triggered abilities, upgrades etc.

Just my point... so if you allow custom spells it shouldnt be for this contest only as it adds an advantage to all like us who can make custom spells, if they are judged on of couse, and if they isnt.. then premade spells is fine... as it doesnt matter or not, but realy you cant avoid judging from them, and as this is basic race editing, then it is the use of resources that counts, not if you can make models or spells... this aint that kind of contest. Thats the reson premade spells should be allowed. :wwink:

btw: anyway you wouldnt be able to tell if the spell was premade or not...

Level 9
I don't think premade spells should be allowed. You say that limits users. Then I say editing the object editor limits users because not everybody can do it. The point of a contest is to show who is better map maker. If someone can do spells by himself he should receive points for that. Spell making is one aspect of the map making. If someone make custom models for the contest only and use them why not get the award?

Level 35
I don't think premade spells should be allowed. You say that limits users. Then I say editing the object editor limits users because not everybody can do it. The point of a contest is to show who is better map maker. If someone can do spells by himself he should receive points for that. Spell making is one aspect of the map making. If someone make custom models for the contest only and use them why not get the award?

inded.. but this aint a mapping contest... it is a race contest.... which means only race edits should matter, the custom spells should just be eye candy:wwink:

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Actually, there will be points for the map, terrain etc as well, like I stated.

And custom spells are much and I do mean much different from models.
Spells can make the race better, models cannot. The spells change the entire gameplay while the models do not.

Level 10
Id like to loosen the boundaries of the contest, if it would be possible...

I've already got four races planned out, and I would much rather make a four to six player map then a one-on-one...

Can we change those rules, please? ^^

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Well, you have to understand, judging is going to be horribly hard when one person has 2 and another has 4 races =\
I don't like the fact that I'm limiting you guys to this, but this is the only way we can ensure that the judging is fair and people enter the contest. Because not everyone can think of four races and execute them well enough, so we will end up with only a few final submissions.

Level 10
Oh, come on! How could I possibly choose from the four ideas I had? Pleeaaassee ^^
How about this: If more then two races are made, then the two "Best Ones" are selected as the subject of the rating... eh?

If not, I guess I'll release WIPS with four races, and remove two by the end :p

And what about the map and player size?

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Player size? If it is two races it is going to be 1v1. Map size won't be too big. Just like the classic 1v1 games.

And yes, better edit two races to perfection, than make four mediocre ones. Show us WIPs, get feedback, and choose the final two.

Level 10
If there are two races, it doesnt neccecarly mean that only two players can play...

Look at the first contest, for example!
1 changed race in a 6 player map.

I personally would like to make a bigger map then a 1v1, cause its much more fun, and the unedited races can also get invoved (if we stay wiith the 2 race limit).

Can I, atleast, create a bigger map? it can be rated the same way as any of the other submissions, its just slightly bigger! ><

I dont intend to create medicore races, frost, I never do :p

Level 12
I think 1v1 is fine cause it won't be such a big map to terrain and such things.
2 questions:
1 - Are allowed to change marcetplaces and tavern etc etc?
2 - Can you make your own creeps to the map? I don't mean create models but change abilities and such cause i don't like using the normal ones?

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
I think 1v1 is fine cause it won't be such a big map to terrain and such things.
2 questions:
1 - Are allowed to change marcetplaces and tavern etc etc?
2 - Can you make your own creeps to the map? I don't mean create models but change abilities and such cause i don't like using the normal ones?

I actually thought it would be better if it wasn't 1v1, I changed my mind. Like Modo said, the map would be more fun.

And those are some really good ideas, Mechmap, I will consider adding them.

Level 12
Thx for answering them. But i dont think that the players should be more than 2v2.

And another question. Do you have to make a credit list for the models you use in the map?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.