• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Techtree Contest #13 - Coloured Mana [Optionally Paired]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
Not exactly a WIP, but I need your opinions. Which building type fits better for a lizardman race? Draenei or Naga?

View attachment 330502

Oh that is tricky, Retera's Draenei buildings are pretty cool. Although I think the Naga one may fit better, but it's certainly a tough call and depends on how you use it.

Level 11
Some WIPS about all my non siege and non worker units, all finished:
WC3ScrnShot_081519_132037_01.jpg
WC3ScrnShot_081519_132251_03.jpg
WC3ScrnShot_081519_132419_04.jpg

I have an amount of ideas for the rest:
Worker: Human slave. He will be very cheap and weak, and, after 5 minutes, will automatically die, for the toxic gases and the very bad health conditions. If the slave dies, it will spawn a dusty skeleton, permanently, with similar statistics than Militia, but a bit better. Very useful for defense.
Siege unit: Well... Here I have nothing.
Heroes: Arch-Lich, Arch-necromancer, Flesh Lord (Abomination) and Geist. I have some abilitie ideas here.
Structures: Of course, the Pest boiler (a good model link will be grateful), a slow but powerful tower of area damage and per second (Scourge tower), and ... I think nothing more.

Edit: Again... My colour is black. I don't know if it cares, but the list continues to name me as red.

Level 9
Sorry for bad english
Faction: Red
Race: Clan Khatra

• The nomadic Centaur race has conquered goblins and desert creatures. It uses weak and cowardly goblins as cannon fodder, as well as to support more powerful forces (for example, an Ogre can eat a goblin to restore health, or another Ogre will gladly throw the goblin at the enemy).
  • Buildings stand through Kodo, they can also be assembled back, which increases the mobility of the base.
  • Unique mechanics are blood. In a fight with an enemy with a certain chance, blood is generated, an auxiliary resource that can be spent on individual improvements of soldiers in your army (for example, a Khatra-warrior can improve his attack and health characteristics).

KhatraWIP1.jpg

Last edited:
Why not both for gif?

What do you mean?

Anyways, here's my progress so far:

WIP2.png

The training system works like Battle Realms (props if you ever played this awesome game)
Peasants (the one with the straw hat) can train in barracks by right clicking the barracks and they'll come out as soldiers (the one with the spear and shield)

Miners (on the far right) will spawn when you build a Miner's Hut. They cannot be controlled and will automatically mine the nearest gold mine available.

(I misspoke; it's supposed to be "dot" not "for". My bad.)

Very cool! I've been dying to see a Lizardman race ever since Gluma started owning face with his epic model series. Good on ya!

I see. I'm not sure I can make Draenei and Naga buildings fit together though. They both have distinct features that suits part of a lizardman race, so it's gonna be a tough call.

Level 11
@Spellbound and I are teaming up for a blue faction.
Ohh God, there is a team!
@Wazzz , Considering these ... Events, I would like to ask if you do not want to form a duo. After all, we are both experimenting with Black, and using, as a base, human units. Unfortunately, we have already started our techtrees, but an alliance between Cult of the Damned and Bandits is not at all unfeasible in Lore. In fact, the bandits, poor and peasants are among the main recruited by the Cult, since they are easily manipulated.
At least, as i see, you have Structures. I REALLY need structures now.

Level 35
@Leods I am afraid I do not, I already have a concise idea of what I want to do and this is going to lead into my second WIP

WIP 2.jpg

This is the rest of the line up that I am intending to have for my race so far.

Starting from the left is the Black Market, which is the Blacksmith for the faction. It serves as a drop-off point for lumber and provides research through the acquisition of recently... liberated merchandise. One such upgrade is the Cheaper Construction Materials, where highwaymen provide caravans they have successfully procured for a discounted price, allowing structures to be built faster.

Next is the Sewer Tunnels, which enables the production of the faction's Ratmen units. Functioning similarly to the Workshop for the humans, these units provide a critical role for the Bandit's Operations.
The units from the Sewer Tunnels are as follows:
- The "Ratman", a heavy melee unit which, while a little more fragile than the heavy melee units of other factions, compensate by being a little cheaper, more accessible and fighting dirty. Through research, these get the Disease ability, a passive that reduces the Healing Rate of a target enemy unit.
- The "Ratling Gunner", a support siege unit, providing AoE damage from the backlines. This unit can be upgraded to do bonus damage against structures, as well as be upgraded to have a faster attack rate.
- The "Sharpshooter Team", a long-range sniper unit. Shooting enemies from afar, this unit is intended to capitalize on the Bandits "ambush" style of play, dealing substantial damage but not taking much back in return.

The third building in this lineup is the Tavern, the Bandit's equivalent of the Altar. From here, you can get their Hero, the Bandit Lord, which is intended to play as the embodiment of selfishness, depravity and the will to power. Despite riding on a powerful steed, it is more a symbol of wealth and posterity through ill-gotten gains, as well as a useful tool for making a quick escape.

Finally, is the Shadow Works, which provides access to two more units:
- The "Shadow Stalker", an anti-caster unit that can utilize abilities to grant itself more mobility in its pursuit of opposing targets.
- The "Shadow Dragon", a flying dragon which relies more on the use of cunning and stealth than the brute force of other Dragons within the game.

Lastly, is the addition of the caster unit for the faction, the Renegade Wizard. This unit is accessible via the Thieves Guild, and will provide a more mobile caster unit that can rapidly respond to enemy threats... or just as quickly retreat.

A lot of these ideas are still being developed in terms of abilities and research options, some are already incorporate while others have yet to be fully fleshed out. This is the general gist of what I am going for with the Bandit Faction so far, and while more "traditional" in the sense of it uses ingame inspiration a lot to build a faction around a set of creep units, I just have a soft spot for the theme :)

Level 35
Good move to involve the Skaven models! :)

I've been wanting to do a faction like this for a time, and had the idea a while back to do it in this sort of style, so I sort of had the clear idea of what I wanted to do with the faction, it's nice to finally be able to put it to work :D

My only regret is that with the Bandit as a unit, there's no real way for me to use that really nice clanrat model Gluma made

Level 27
Hello again.

I'm sorry for leaving the previous techtree contest, but I was forced
for reasons beyond my control. I'll join again and my color will be Black and a Night Elf themed race.

Soon I'll present my first WIP.

Here's my first WIP:
Dark Elves WIP.PNG

From left to right:

Evoker: Worker, also at the cost of mana can summon Elemental Souls (weak spirits that lose HP quickly and are necessary for create buildings).

Zealot: Basic melee, although very fragile (the weakest in terms of HP) have a good damage output and two powerful passive abilities.
-Sneak Attack give her a chance of deal pure damage on attacks.
-Vendetta, that is unlocked on late game, give a chance when attacked of greatly increases attack speed for some seconds and protect herself of a great percentage of damage taken during this time.

Drider: Ranged unit with fast movement that gets more letal against weakened enemies.
-Toxic Arrows applies a poison on target that causes more effects based on its current life.
-Can also be upgraded to receive True Vision but with lesser range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another WIP:

upload_2019-8-20_23-11-23.png

New Unit:

Valkyrian (or Vor'thuuns): (Haven't fully decided on the name)

A medium caster that specializes in disruption. Can initially cast Last Word, which permanently silences an enemy unit (3 seconds for Heroes) if they cast a spell and 5 seconds (1.5 seconds for Heroes) otherwise during a 4-second debuff period. Can learn Aether Realm and Revelation.

upload_2019-8-20_23-18-46.png

In order of appearance (Clockwise, starting from building directly on top of Gold Mine):

1. Archonopolis (Town Hall)
  2. Altar of Orderion (Hero production)
  3. Academy (Primary troop production)
  4. Hall of Oathkeepers (Research building)
  5. Orduonic Camp (Burrow functionality, and farm sized)
  6. {Not in model} Acquisitioned Gold Mine.

upload_2019-8-20_23-20-47.png

In order of appearance (from left to right):
  1. Orduon
  2. Arbiter
  3. Valkyrian or Vor'thuuns
  4. Glaive-bearer

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-20_23-19-32.png
    upload_2019-8-20_23-19-32.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
Have some more WIPs.

Here's how my race (named it the Xetkin Clan) works in terms of training system:

And another one here, introducing the Cutthroats. They can swap attacks from ranged to melee and vice versa. When engaged in close combat or ordered to attack units near them, they will swap to melee attack. When ordered to attack enemies from afar, they will swap back to ranged attack.

Level 9
Clan Khatra

- Khatra House/Khatra Fortress/Khatra Palace
[Town Hall]
  • Slave - harvest gold and lumber
  • Kodo - builder,
  • Khatra Clan Warrior - melee, ability "Provocation" (slow down the target and force her to fight)
  • Khatra Clan Archer - range, ability "Bow Master" (shooting on the move)
- Slaughterhouse [Farm, Blood Production]
You can kill your unit and get extra blood for processing
- Arena [Research]
- Harpy Watch Tower [Defence]
- Arsenal [Shop]
- Goblin Reservation [Barrack]
Common Features - "Fear" (Killing a goblin scares other goblins if there are no Hatra centaurs nearby).
  • Goblin-Spearman - melee
  • Goblin-Archer - range
  • Goblin-Shaman - range, wizard, can trigger a "Protection Totem". Ability "Blood Donor" - unit-target gives health to surrounding units

- Bestiary [Barrack]
  • Desert Jumping Spider - melee, ability "Jump", poison master
  • Harpy Witch - range, fly, wizard
- Ogre Den [Barrack]
  • Ogre-Stonehurler - melee, can eat goblin to restore health
  • Ogre-Bonecleaver - melee, can take a goblin to throw at a target
- Altar of Blood [Altar, Blood Enhancements]
  • Higher Khan - range, intelligence
  1. Execution - kill your unit so that allied units fight more efficiently

2. Fire Elemental - Summon Fire Elemental, which, in addition to a ranged attack, can self-destruct
  3. Blood Stone - <classified>
  4. Unstoppable - Make your unit invulnerable (it can be attacked), but after a while it will die

KhatraWIP2-1.jpg
KhatraWIP2-2.jpg

Level 35
Update: I have decided upon what I will be doing for my hero more specifically, since I need one of those in my faction and the Bandit Lord seems like a lot of fun.

The Bandit Lords.jpg

Ultimately, I wanted a hero that both reflected the ambush style of gameplay for the faction, and the ultimate selfish ambition of the Black philosophy. Hopefully I have accomplished this with the chosen spells and abilities for the Hero, and I hope he will be as much fun to play as he was to come up with.

Unstoppable - Make your unit invulnerable (it can be attacked), but after a while it will die
Interesting premise, but I think there should be a way for the target to circumvent its death. It would be underwhelming for an ultimate, otherwise.

Update: I have decided upon what I will be doing for my hero more specifically, since I need one of those in my faction and the Bandit Lord seems like a lot of fun.

Ultimately, I wanted a hero that both reflected the ambush style of gameplay for the faction, and the ultimate selfish ambition of the Black philosophy. Hopefully I have accomplished this with the chosen spells and abilities for the Hero, and I hope he will be as much fun to play as he was to come up with.
Bounty Hunter is a bit vague and needs elaboration.

How does a tactical retreat work? Does the hero go invisible? Any speed bonuses?

The hero does sound fun to play so far. Keep it up!

Level 35
At present Bounty Hunter is sort of planned to be Pillage that targets units as well as structures

The Call Bodyguards ability is, at the moment, planned to be based off of the Pandaren Brewmaster's ultimate ability, only instead of becoming three different units, it becomes four of the Bodyguards, and I am considering putting in a chance of the hero's proper name changing... you know, just in case he gets usurped by his own elite cadre :^)

I may need to fix up some of the descriptions on the image :p

Damn, that is a nice layout you did for your Bandit Lord hero. I got inspired by it that I tried to create my own. It sucks, I know. My image skills are below average. Here's something I whipped out. Took me a couple of hours to write my race's lore. I'm open to opinions because I think my race might stray too far from the Red theme here. If it really values Freedom Above ALL, then I think this one kinda suits it.

Anyways,here it is. (Image taken from Total Warhammer 2)

Xetkin Clan Lore.png

Level 11
Well, if everyone is presenting a introduction of the techtre, here we go...
Cult of the Damned introduction.jpg

Also, here is a little screenshot, in which you can see a necromancer being sacrificed, for the immediate creation of a more powerful Lich:
WC3ScrnShot_082319_102030_01.jpg

When you sacrifice a unit, your plague cauldron will receive as much damage as the life of the created unit. With that, exceptly if you want to lose your Plague cauldron, you will use your gold to repair it.

Here are the posible combinations:
-Human slave: Dusty skeleton (250 HP)
-Servant: Skeleton (450 HP)
-Dark mage: Shadow skeleton (575 HP)
-Shadow priest/Necromancer: Lich (800 HP)

Level 27
WIP 2
Dark Elves WIP 2.PNG

New Units:

Avenger: Heavy melee unit. When killed have a chance of enrage for some seconds, increasing his stats.

Hierophant: Basic caster with Disperse (dispel and heal if cast on Dark Elves, else instead of healing will stun for 2 seconds). Can learn Life Tap (affected enemy will heal Dark Elves who attack it) and Grim Seal (enemies in affected area receive more damage from spells).

Scourger: Offensive caster, initially have Carnage (extra attack speed for allies). Can learn Iron Maiden (agressive curse that counts all damage caused by affected enemy and when spell ends or limit damage is reached that damage is returned to that unit) and Rot (dps, silence and movement speed slow on an enemy unit).

Ravager: Siege weapon, for now without abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.