• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tale of Nalmeena (1.00)

Tale of Nalmeena

" Land ruled by wicked Duke Melrache knows no justice. There is nowhere to hide from the rampant greed and lust of everpresent duke. His subjects have to suffer in silence, for there are none to oppose his vile deeds... for now. "

A rather simple Reforged single hero RPG, focused on resurrected undead spirit of Nalmeena on her quest for revenge. On her journey she will encounter optional quests/altered abilities/items/units etc.

-- Requirements --

- Patch 1.35.0 Reforged

-- Features --

- 1 life only
- Limited gold resources
- Custom Units/Heroes/Items/Abilities/Enviroment
- Optional quests
- Riddles / Secret Zones / exploring the map corners using blink
- Game time ~ 1h20m

-- Changelog --

April 24, 2023 - Uploaded

May 20, 2023 - Fixed bug with Wrathfull Eye cast range enabling bypass fog of war

May 26, 2023 - Small grammar fix/change in dialogs, removed rain effect causing crash on medium/high particle settings

-- Credits --

TheGorinR

-- Additional Info --

- ! Map is made for Reforged hd client only !

- No additional modes or models were downloaded for this map.
Previews
Contents

Tale of Nalmeena (1.00)b (Map)

Reviews
Tanni
Hey, played through the map in its entirety - all the secrets found too. Pretty fun map! I agree with the others, I was constantly crashing until I lowered my particle settings to Low. Some things to note: a few grammatical and spelling errors here...
Level 8
Feel free to point out any bugs/grammar/balancing issues !

This was originally a little side project so its a rather simple rpg map, also its my first reforged only map so I hope you guys enjoy the terrain and story.

GL&HF!

Last edited:
Level 3
I had to lower the particle settings to stop it from crashing. That did work though.

In general, I quite liked the mapping, both aesthetically and for gameplay purposes. The way the map uses line of sight to give you blink locations is really well thought out.

But honestly, the combat was lackluster. Basically every fight was completely straight-forward. If I only control a single hero and their ability kit doesn't let me do anything clever, that's an issue. We already have Blink for exploration, why not give it a use in combat? It doesn't even have to be complicated triggers: Even an enemy/boss using a large area Flame Strike that you have to Blink out of would help. But every boss fight was essentially a stat check only. And the only player skill you could demonstrate was in pulling apart larger enemy groups.
The power progression could also be better imho. Many combat/exploration rewards were either gold or stat books. Both nice but not exciting. There were only a hand full of permanent items (including those in the shops) and little else. The items that player had access to were fine but too few to give folks any meaningful choices. With both non-Blink spells being AoE damage (yes, with different areas and one with a slow but less damage) there's also little to change up the combat between level 2 and 10.

Level 5
Hey, played through the map in its entirety - all the secrets found too. Pretty fun map!

I agree with the others, I was constantly crashing until I lowered my particle settings to Low.

Some things to note: a few grammatical and spelling errors here and there - the spells you receive are shown to have two hotkeys (the original and the QWER, with only QWER being the one to work). I believe this is due to Reforged automatically setting the hotkeys to display, rather than needing to manually plug them like pre-Reforged WC3 mapping.

I think the fog was a bit too overbearing, especially zoomed out. Even when zoomed in it was a slight nuisance; not a deal breaker but it certainly wasn't nice to look at. I think the gameplay at the start can be slightly dull, and it's probably due to things like slow mana regen and not a lot of spells at your disposal. By the mid to late game it does feel a bit more fun to deal out constant damage. The slow mana regen is offset by the Duskwood Wand, but even then it isn't by a substantial amount. It isn't until the later game where mana becomes virtually a non-issue.

Screams of Pain (the third ability) is a bit weak in my opinion. I understand that its use mostly draws from the debuff it applies to enemies, but due to that there isn't really much of a reason to pick it over Carrion Swarm in the start - especially since you're trying to conserve mana in the beginning. The spell you get from the fat dreadlord guy (forgot his name) Wrathful Eye was a nice addition. I wasn't able to access one secret (the Doril zombie guy) until I had that spell, by spawning it behind the trees to access the area. Honestly, I was not sure at all how to get to that area otherwise. I was also able to bug into another secret protected by a magic wall by using Wrathful Eye to provide vision and letting me Blink inside. You probably know what area this is so that's a big bug I'd say.

I'd also like to suggest to keep the Boat mechanic of going into the Lord's town as it's an easy way to go from the Duke's Keep and into the town rather than walking all the way back. I suppose there isn't much reason to go back once you've reached the Keep, but it would be nice to have as I did have to go back to look for secrets.
Terrain is great! Places feel lived in and have a decent amount of doodads. The metroidvania-esque way of looping around by unlocking previously inaccessible areas is cool - though I have to point out that I think two areas were really vague in how you can enter them (the fat dreadlord area and the Doril zombie area). Otherwise it's very fun to explore. The map does a great job of making the player use the Blink ability. However, I do wish it had less of a cooldown. I'd also suggest to remove Divine Shield from the final boss, I think a mechanic like the comment above me provided by Angzt said would be cool to replace it. Divine Shield is just usually a pain to fight against.

Overall, pretty fun 1 hour map. Exploration was clearly the focus here, and that's great because I think in most games exploration is definitely one of the most fun aspects (if done correctly, which it is here). Great job!

4/5!

Level 8
Hey, played through the map in its entirety - all the secrets found too. Pretty fun map!

I agree with the others, I was constantly crashing until I lowered my particle settings to Low.

Some things to note: a few grammatical and spelling errors here and there - the spells you receive are shown to have two hotkeys (the original and the QWER, with only QWER being the one to work). I believe this is due to Reforged automatically setting the hotkeys to display, rather than needing to manually plug them like pre-Reforged WC3 mapping.

I think the fog was a bit too overbearing, especially zoomed out. Even when zoomed in it was a slight nuisance; not a deal breaker but it certainly wasn't nice to look at. I think the gameplay at the start can be slightly dull, and it's probably due to things like slow mana regen and not a lot of spells at your disposal. By the mid to late game it does feel a bit more fun to deal out constant damage. The slow mana regen is offset by the Duskwood Wand, but even then it isn't by a substantial amount. It isn't until the later game where mana becomes virtually a non-issue.

Screams of Pain (the third ability) is a bit weak in my opinion. I understand that its use mostly draws from the debuff it applies to enemies, but due to that there isn't really much of a reason to pick it over Carrion Swarm in the start - especially since you're trying to conserve mana in the beginning. The spell you get from the fat dreadlord guy (forgot his name) Wrathful Eye was a nice addition. I wasn't able to access one secret (the Doril zombie guy) until I had that spell, by spawning it behind the trees to access the area. Honestly, I was not sure at all how to get to that area otherwise. I was also able to bug into another secret protected by a magic wall by using Wrathful Eye to provide vision and letting me Blink inside. You probably know what area this is so that's a big bug I'd say.

I'd also like to suggest to keep the Boat mechanic of going into the Lord's town as it's an easy way to go from the Duke's Keep and into the town rather than walking all the way back. I suppose there isn't much reason to go back once you've reached the Keep, but it would be nice to have as I did have to go back to look for secrets.
Terrain is great! Places feel lived in and have a decent amount of doodads. The metroidvania-esque way of looping around by unlocking previously inaccessible areas is cool - though I have to point out that I think two areas were really vague in how you can enter them (the fat dreadlord area and the Doril zombie area). Otherwise it's very fun to explore. The map does a great job of making the player use the Blink ability. However, I do wish it had less of a cooldown. I'd also suggest to remove Divine Shield from the final boss, I think a mechanic like the comment above me provided by Angzt said would be cool to replace it. Divine Shield is just usually a pain to fight against.

Overall, pretty fun 1 hour map. Exploration was clearly the focus here, and that's great because I think in most games exploration is definitely one of the most fun aspects (if done correctly, which it is here). Great job!

4/5!
Hi, thanks for your feedback!

I tried fix the bug with Wrathfull Eye, reducing the cast range from 500 to 100 and it doesn't seem to be castable behind walls/gates now. So hopefully there won't be any more issue with that. I did not expect player to be able to cast it in the actual unexplored fog of war, so thanks for pointing that out!

Spoiler - Also, in order to get to the Doril the Spellchaser you need explore the Sasquatch Cliff thats behind the Algamonn summoning place, and then blink down to walkable shallow water thats behind the trees downstairs, then you just walk until you see beach where you need to blink to get Doril and his gemstone that destroys magical force wall.

As for the other things I'll try to have a look at them later. Hopefully there'll be more feedback like this if the map gets approved :wink:

Last edited:
Level 3
played the map.
Very good use of scenery, mapping and fog of war.
Very good story and cinematics. I enjoyed the story telling and I wish I knew how to do cinematics as those. (and use the editor, in general, lol)
Hero skills are a bit lacking. normal skills, i think carrion swarm, blink, thunder clap and locust swarm, i think?
Sometimes I didn't knew how to progress or where to go... i didn't know if having killed X enemy opened a door or not. maybe adding the door open/close sound when an enemy dies to notify the player that X door is now open would have helped me... or a bit of text that says " door X is now opened" and a ping maybe? maybe i was the only one with these problems...
and I got Doril's Diary and relic of Dark Magus and I can't solve the puzzle. were am I supposed to take those? or is it just the relic the item that I have to take to... a shop?... a blacksmith?
does the dark green blacksmith that is in the area were you fight the final boss do something? does it sell something?
i got the diamond of force field negation but i dunno were i am supposed to take it.

I may have written a lot but I really liked the map.
Very newbie World Editor user here(possibly the newbiest), how much time would you say you dedicated to this proyect?
Also, even if it is a reforged map, I really liked it. GOOD JOB!

edit: I used iseedeadpeople and i discovered where to take the diamond of force field negation and ... only got gold as reward? Man, I expected something super powered or another hero ... maybe I was expecting too much because I looked allround the map for like an hour before I got discouraged and cheated with iseedeadpeople cheat...

Level 8
played the map.
Very good use of scenery, mapping and fog of war.
Very good story and cinematics. I enjoyed the story telling and I wish I knew how to do cinematics as those. (and use the editor, in general, lol)
Hero skills are a bit lacking. normal skills, i think carrion swarm, blink, thunder clap and locust swarm, i think?
Sometimes I didn't knew how to progress or where to go... i didn't know if having killed X enemy opened a door or not. maybe adding the door open/close sound when an enemy dies to notify the player that X door is now open would have helped me... or a bit of text that says " door X is now opened" and a ping maybe? maybe i was the only one with these problems...
and I got Doril's Diary and relic of Dark Magus and I can't solve the puzzle. were am I supposed to take those? or is it just the relic the item that I have to take to... a shop?... a blacksmith?
does the dark green blacksmith that is in the area were you fight the final boss do something? does it sell something?
i got the diamond of force field negation but i dunno were i am supposed to take it.

I may have written a lot but I really liked the map.
Very newbie World Editor user here(possibly the newbiest), how much time would you say you dedicated to this proyect?
Also, even if it is a reforged map, I really liked it. GOOD JOB!

edit: I used iseedeadpeople and i discovered where to take the diamond of force field negation and ... only got gold as reward? Man, I expected something super powered or another hero ... maybe I was expecting too much because I looked allround the map for like an hour before I got discouraged and cheated with iseedeadpeople cheat...
Hey

Spoiler - The Relic of Dark Magus has an actual use in combat (try and observe), other use is obviously selling it and buying any item from the second black market.

Sorry to leave you disappointed by the secret but even if i gave you item instead which could be possible,- the result would be the same as with getting gold and then buying that item at shop. I wanted to give player abit of nice edge in mid game and not anything decisive or game changing as there is only 6 inventory spots after all and its secret not a reliability :sad:

As for your question i'd say 2-3 weeks of creating the map itself, the testing part/balancing took abit longer :wink:

Anyway thanks for playing!