• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Shadows of the Past v0.9.3.0

md_01.png

md_06.png

md_08.png

md_10.png

md_12.png
md_14.png

Keywords:
RPG, SPRPG, Shadows of the Past, Shadow, Shadows, Past, -Kobas-
Contents

Shadows of the Past v0.9.3.0 (Map)

Reviews
» Vengeancekael:[c] 「Profile :: Hive Staff」 » Reasons: » Comment: Reviewing on request. » Rules: [c] 「Map Submission」 » Contact: [c] 「Staff Contact」 ! 'Reasons' are automated !100%Verdict + Beautiful terrain + Advanced UI + Sounds - Gameplay...
Level 2
Exactly, but I experimented a little, I edited terrain, and I will upload map version with unlocked camera as test map into hosted project forum, tomorrow I guess, will see people reaction and then decide what to do.

That's awesome, thanks a lot for trying that.. I really appreciate it.
I will download the map as soon as you have posted it up tomorrow. Cheers!

Level 2
This game somewhat reminds me of gaia's retaliation. This game is awesome and everything, but somewhat laughable when you pick thief or archer, for they are both females. And the starting cinematics says 'he' and 'him'. Can't wait for updates of the game and playing it when it is completed and not demo.:thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 1
Sugestions

hi,
Nice map awesome terrain for wc3 :).
i tryed it in hard mode with a ranger. And after killing some stuff 4 wolfes i was low on health and i try to fix it with food, but the next time i went low i didnt had enough money to keep the food supply up.

Is there any free option of healing in the starting village?

next time i tryed thief in normal mode it was almost the same just faster because of the lack of cc.

3rd time i tryed monk on easy and he is really easy cuz of the 2 healing spells.

The food runs down way 2 fast. If you try to explore the map and not grind for money you find your self starving

Well to die in this game dosnt mean anythin bad.
Your food goes up back to 100 and hp mana replenishes too, without any death penaltys.

What i find kinda bothersome in this rpg and most rpgs out there is that healers are out of balance because they poses the only ability to efficently heal, which is essential in those games.

For example.
In Neverwinter Nights (which in my opinion is still one of the best RPGs out there) the healing and skill system is well balanced.
all chars kinda posses healing due to the ability to use a first aid kit(can be found or purchased) which increases over time investing in healing skill.
Clerics and priests got access to buffs and high lvl heals which makes them still unique.

A wandering person in real life without any knowledge of healing or first aid usually dosnt last long. Thu it is just common sense if every1 posses little healing skills. In my country you dont get ur driving license without a First aid Cerificate. (Just my personal humble opinion towards all those rpgs.)

i find the camera system totaly fine just needs some practice

the gold gain is out of balance due to the huge amounts of food you gotta buy
Most of the food benefits strongly mana i never needed this much mana like the food gives i need more hp and the meet for dunne the correct price anymore dosnt really heal much for the costs. green apples are the most cost efficent.

What can i do with the plants i find?

and well the stuff the guys posted before me more hints & tooltips about char creation game mechanics etc

:p but otherwise awesome map
i appreciate that i could test it.
Greetz PsyBani

Level 2
Yeah, map has many wonderfull features, looks confirmed, theoretically is very interesting, excellent virtual world to play in. But have awfull balance. Summons have to be nerfed. Hunger should go down slower. Adding 30-60 sec waiting time for dead charactrer as well as loosing gold/exp would be fine too. And I dont want the terrain to be changed but ce la vie

I fixed terrain fast, also The_Mirai send me some text really fast so here it is.
Please tell me how it look now with unlocked camera.

You can still use: -cameraon and -cameraoff to trigger that advanced 3D camera.

Oh PROXY shared his awesome models few nights ago so I finally present some of them to you.
Enjoy, have fun.

Level 3
Feedbacks are so positive. Is it really the
camera is pretty good. I've expected much worse. May be it just need to be improved a bit in terms of rotation.

It's amazing how many people force you to put up with cam views that you may not enjoy at all.

I think the cam system is fine,but it is.. a bit confusing

Kobas, can you please bring out a version that has unlocked cam??

I beg you . . .

Is there a way to rotate the camera? Otherwise the camera severely detracts from the map. When going south, it would actually be nice to see what is there before one runs into it.

The priest run animation looks rather stilted - i suppose his hand is supposed to be carrying a shield(but obviously here it doesn't).

well, i expected more...
This is a badly copy of gaias with improved hero pick up sys and hunger system that works badly. About the map, not bad at all, but as i said it is a copy of gaias. The hunger sys goes to 0 for 30 seconds and i can't feed my hungy hungry hero, the playing area is too small (yes, i know it's beta!), i don't see any main quest line or storyline, or whatever... Really, i expected more...

How is this Gaias copy?

- Quests (as system) are different.
- Whole damage system in new and a lot different.
- Terrain is different as well, yes we use same resources, but isn't then 99.99% games same because they use blizzard default terrain.
- Gaias is multiplayer game this isn't.
- Abilities work differently as well.
- Item systems are different as well.

Dunno why you keep comparing this to Gaias when more than half systems and things presented here are unique.

Level 2
Is there a way to rotate the camera? Otherwise the camera severely detracts from the map. When going south, it would actually be nice to see what is there before one runs into it.
use arrow buttons. At least it worked in the previous versions.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
How is this Gaias copy?

- Quests (as system) are different.
- Whole damage system in new and a lot different.
- Terrain is different as well, yes we use same resources, but isn't then 99.99% games same because they use blizzard default terrain.
- Gaias is multiplayer game this isn't.
- Abilities work differently as well.
- Item systems are different as well.

Dunno why you keep comparing this to Gaias when more than half systems and things presented here are unique.

Hell yeah! And is it wrong to copy a good map if it is your own?

And -Kobas- also food system is new also there is more music and so on.

Level 2
nice map kobas but is there only two areas
i used the iseedeadpeople cheat (sorry for cheating and there are only two areas still havent finished?

Level 2
Before the game starts, there is this string of floating text and you spelt available as aviable or something. It's nothing major, but it would have been nice if you edited it. Also, the theif does not have a tooltip.

Last edited:
Level 16
I've got to say this as a helper of this project. This is not a rip-off at all! The storyline is not near the same, idk if you tryed to read the lore at all?. We got a forum where you can read alot of stuff, ofcourse not all the posts are updated. But tell me the lore is same? Also you expected more because it is -Kobas- but still every person got his own to do. Kobas here have to go study each week and he had exams. Also dont worry!:v I am sure this map will proceed alot for each week that goes!

Level 1
I like the start. Big one. But a few things may be flawed so far:
a. The hunger system is a mess. you would rather die like he said in the game because food aint cheap n sometimes u have to eat it for hunger instead of for healing.
b. why I killed the bandits and gained nothing?! By nothing I mean no exp n money at all!
c. Would it be better to point out the task target places youin the map so people wouldnt waste time on wandering around in vain and getting bored?
d. Would it be nicer to give a recommended level number for each task so people would not go get slaugtered easily by monsters?

I like the start. Big one. But a few things may be flawed so far:
a. The hunger system is a mess. you would rather die like he said in the game because food aint cheap n sometimes u have to eat it for hunger instead of for healing.
b. why I killed the bandits and gained nothing?! By nothing I mean no exp n money at all!
c. Would it be better to point out the task target places youin the map so people wouldnt waste time on wandering around in vain and getting bored?
d. Would it be nicer to give a recommended level number for each task so people would not go get slaugtered easily by monsters?
I fixed almost everything in new version.
I'm working on main quests, I will try to import cinematics as well.
New area should be fished as well (area 2 where bandits are, this will unlock new items: steel weapons for example).

Last edited:
Level 7
Well done Kobas, The systems in this map make it very appealing and I love the classes. I do have a lot of comments though....

A squire probably shouldn't be the name of a class... AFAIK a squire is someone who helps their master saddle his horse and fetch his weapons etc... usually someone who is not accomplished at all.

I completed the quest "Forest Hunter" after killing 19 boars. it says 19/20 (completed) and I was able to complete it. the number would not go past 19 when I tried killing more boars.

I can't figure out how to activate waypoints, I've tried walking over the waypoint in the swamp and ive tried interacting with it but nothing is happening. Eventually I worked out that it was activated but i couldn't see it in the teleport area because it was facing upward.

What is the timer above dead monster corpses? I can't loot them, or if I am looting them I don't know that I'm doing it.

Food is rediculous, I'm going to exit the map soon because the hunger/food system is just so annoying. I have to buy so much food and it cannot satiate my hunger. Instead of spending money on food I just let myself die and then come back to life with full hunger. This system needs to made less annoying or preferably remove it from the game alltogethor because it serves no interesting function.

The quests might be difficult to find, there should be at least some clue as to where they can be completed. IT took me a long time to find the spider queen. perhaps say something like " we believe she is in the ancient forest east of the river.... for example. I still haven't found the hackberry bush.

In the bandit area I cannot walk past a certain point. there is nothing blocking my way but I just can't go there.... why not? if there is a reason then I have not been made aware of it. no content past them i suspect.

When I summon a water elemental it makes a very annoying noise. I think it means It's burning my mana but the sounds is very annoying.

Last edited:

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
You can not walk through bandit area cause there is not finished ground out there.
Also that Forest Hunter thing í have already reported it to bug report section.
Also squire as a class name? should a "thief" be a class name it depends pretty much on likes.
Looting system I agree sometimes it is really hard to select a corpse I would go with some flag as a corpse... But the looting is easy. And the times is how much time left before the corpse is removed.
Also cant find nothing redicilous about food system. It fits pretty well though all food you get goes to it, not to health...

Water elemental - Maybe turn Effect Sound of if u disslike it ?; D

Level 7
The food system IS rediculous... I have to spend too much gold on food, it takes up room in my bags, I would prefer to just let myself die and start with 100 food again. Even then it is a major annoyance which I have to deal with every 5 minutes which adds no fun or interest to the game. It made me stop playing the game.... You can argue against my points if u like but it won't change how I feel when I played the game.

I could turn the sound off but then i would get no other sound effects. I'm sorry if my post sounded like I was whinging but really I came to post constrictuve criticism. My suggestion was to remove that noisy repetative sound effect...

You're right about the squire thing. It's been used in other games.... enough said.

Level 10
Well I played game and here is my review:

Bad points:
- Name of thief's lifesteal buff is still "Vampiric aura"
- No restoration of HP, if you know Gaias ORPG there is "rest" ability, you should insipre with it
- Around my UI there were another UI wich was green when I was alive and red when i was dead, it really killed gameplay feeling and view, I dislike it much. Maybe it is just mine opinion
- I have purchased item from vendor in villige, but it didn't give me it and eaither was not dropped on ground, so it just ate my money without result.
- Quest effects are badly triggered, for example I took quest to slay 20 forest beasts. Originaly quest giver wich gave me quest had orange question mark above his head and after accepting quest it changed to white wich is allright, but after I completed quest reqruiment it was still white, and even after completing quest it didn't dissapear, should be fixed :)
- I didn't get any loot from creeps, only gold. Maybe you want it to be like this but i dislike it.

Good points:
+ Very nice intro cinematic
+ Very nice character creation and difficult choosing
+ Balanced and Laggless gameplay
+ Pretty enough of quests for start
+ Good systems
+ Fine spells for heroes
+ Lots of custom models and icons wich makes your game more attractive. Also like loading screen.
+ Nice terrain
+ Chooseable camera view (but still your custom UI about view window kill it :/)
+ Good atmosphere

1. Try to fix or improve bad points
2. Add some nice AI group quest like hunting down boss with couple of AI would be very nice and attractive
3. Maybe add more vendors
4. Continue working on map!:)

Nice game, so far I won't put rate since it is very early stage I guess :)

- Name of thief's lifesteal buff is still "Vampiric aura"
Thanks, will be fixed.
- No restoration of HP, if you know Gaias ORPG there is "rest" ability, you should insipre with it
Hmm I will think about this.
- Around my UI there were another UI wich was green when I was alive and red when i was dead, it really killed gameplay feeling and view, I dislike it much. Maybe it is just mine opinion
It's show your hp :)
When you lose some hp it will become orange, test it you will see how it work, when you have 10 or less hp it will become almost pure red, this way I try to warn you about low hp.
- I have purchased item from vendor in villige, but it didn't give me it and eaither was not dropped on ground, so it just ate my money without result.
Did you checked BAG or BACKPACK because some items go there automatically.
- Quest effects are badly triggered, for example I took quest to slay 20 forest beasts. Originaly quest giver wich gave me quest had orange question mark above his head and after accepting quest it changed to white wich is allright, but after I completed quest reqruiment it was still white, and even after completing quest it didn't dissapear, should be fixed :)
Strange will see...
- I didn't get any loot from creeps, only gold. Maybe you want it to be like this but i dislike it.
Dunno usually there is around 20% chance for item drop, so in general every 5th creep should drop something...

+ Very nice intro cinematic
+ Very nice character creation and difficult choosing
+ Balanced and Laggless gameplay
+ Pretty enough of quests for start
+ Good systems
+ Fine spells for heroes
+ Lots of custom models and icons wich makes your game more attractive. Also like loading screen.
+ Nice terrain
+ Chooseable camera view (but still your custom UI about view window kill it :/)
+ Good atmosphere
Thanks

1. Try to fix or improve bad points
2. Add some nice AI group quest like hunting down boss with couple of AI would be very nice and attractive
3. Maybe add more vendors
4. Continue working on map!:)
Will think about it and work on it.
I will upload new version soon with new spells and more systems and things to do.

Thanks for review.

Level 21
As mentioned by Palooo3 that custom-web-interface sets an odd feeling. However, after the first impression-shock i got used to it.

I tried it on legendary as a Squire and let me tell you that it wasn't harder than the other difficulties, just slower... The spider boss for example has 10000 HP then, instead of 4000 on easy with the same damage output, which is ridiculously high ^^.

Hitting and running with the water elemental pet and abusing the Squires two stun abilties, which make every enemy a joke really made the victory possible without taking a scratch. So this 'boss fight' was really a let down.
Would be better to set a bigger story around this first boss, like starting a dungeon event/conquest type of thing in which the player would gather a small troup via rescue quests, or via hiring mercenaries, with them decending into the Broodmothers Lair? Just a minor idea...

The music gets boring fast as well, doesn't it? At least add some themes for events, like bossfights, taverns, city etc.

And on a side note, you might want to implement a drop all and/or sell all function for the bags. And another thing: The flowers do not stack properly when the bag is full, one has to free one inventory space to make it possible to stack again.

No use to rate it at the current state.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Heh. -Kobas- has said that the difficulties now just change the health of enemies. I think it will be fixed. Also as abilities will still be fixed to final version or in incoming versions.

I agree with the story about boss...

Way more music will be added. You can give your own suggestions in the idea factory - music thread. Also I see no sense by adding few MB to the map only for boss fight also there is only one "city" in the map so no sense... But I think -Kobas- will still say something about your comment.

Level 2
Please change the food system, it's rediculous. It costs so much money just to buy food to keep your food meter up. The food meter goes down way too quickly. It's like your just playing to feed yourself, its not fun at all man.

Make food much more cheaper and make food give you WAY more for your food meter, like 30 or 40. Otherwise we are spending like 18 gold that makes our food meter stay up for like less than a minute? Come on!

Awesome torrain though, just please fix the food issue - and there is no way for any hero to heal, unless you are monk