• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Programs to edit or create Warcraft III character models

Level 2
Good morning, afternoon or evening guys. I'm new here and I would like to know what programs or websites you use to create MDX character models or re-edit them. Because I would like to create some in mind and publish and share it with you, I hope you share your answers. Thank you:vw_sad::vw_sad:

Level 42

Level 2
MANY THANKS TO YOU BRO , IM FROM PERU ..... AND I WAS CREATING A BASE MAP TOTALLY DIFFERENT LIKE OTHER NO ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES BY NONE , because im adding things with unique style . For example including Dinosaurs , chooper tanks , ice elemental , golem milenium , etc. After to finish this little part i will promise to share you one of my best maps with base i hope u wanna love it. You can find me as beckerblue on " guerra sangrienta , guerra vs los elfos sanguinarios " .

Level 16
I just started editing models a couple of weeks ago and what I'm using so far:
  • Reteras Model Studio (as mentioned above): is good baseline for editing models, you can browse all WC3's assets and export them etc. It lets you change the proportions of the model, add and remove bits from the model, change the textures and remap them comparatively easily.

• Link War3 Model Editor (Magos'): This version is most up to date and it does some things I don't know how to do in Retera's. This can change particle emitters (so like flames, bubbles, gas or dust clouds), I use it to change or add materials (this is how a texture is assigned to a part of your model, or doing Team Colours) and to change some things about 'Nodes', which includes sounds that play when a unit dies or some spell sounds. It does a lot of other stuff as well but Retera's is easier to use for most stuff.

• Link MdlVis 1.41: I had an older version and it didn't work at all but after DLing this one it works fine. This does some similar things to the others, but when I'm going to try animating I'll probably use this. It also lets you mess around with geosets, like add from one to the other, or create a new geoset from existing ones, and I don't know how to do that in Retera's.
    • In case you didn't know, geosets are collections of points (Vertices) that are grouped together and then matched to a Material. Materials are 1 or 2 Textures combined to give an effect, like having one texture on the bottom, and another texture placed over the top. Textures are basically just images/pictures that you eventually want to appear on your model (i.e. their skin).
    • By having different geosets, you might have a dude's face come from one picture, but then his body comes from a different picture. And then maybe he has a flag that changes colour depending on the team. etc.
Other stuff:

• I'm using GIMP to draw pictures/textures (because it's free) and it's good enough. There are annoying things about it, but it is 1000x better than using paint or w/e

• Link Blp Lab: when you get a texture out of Retera's, it will probably be either .blp format, or .dds format. You can't edit the .blp format in GIMP but then you need to get the texture back into .blp format to use back in the game. So this thing does that for you.
    • P.S. if you save your picture as .tga format it will be crisper than if you save it as .dds. I guess the file size is bigger then, but saving in .dds kept ruining some of my drawings. I don't know what wise old people here think is the better option.
  • Link Button Manager: If you're going to make your own icons or buttons for spells and stuff, or ahem steal them from WoW, this thing makes that so much easier.

BTW Tillinghast, do you use RMS for animating? I tried opening Blender a couple of times but got scared and closed it lol. I saw you could edit the animation nodes in RMS but they doesn't really seem like enough >_>.