• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Prism

User who uploaded this Presents

Prism
Created by normalice

Map Info:

An 8-player map designed somewhat specifically for FFA play

Features:

The starting locations were meticulously placed (hence the name - prism, though 'crystal' would have been more fitting, but that's a girl's name..) such that everyone is exactly 15 'large grid distances' from each other - that amounts to the time it takes for a militia'd peasant to exhaust 2/3rds of his time as a militia-man before running out, btw. In other words, if you militia your peasants and send them to any base on the map, they will have 1/3rd of the time remaining when they arrive.

Apart from that this is somewhat standard. It is a little light on expansion mines (14 instead of the standard 16) and heavy on goblin labs (5 instead of 4). two taverns, 2 waygates, 6 shops. None of the drops are above level 5.

Screenshots:
none yet

Author's notes:
Unlike other attempts at making an 8-player FFA, i left a lot of 'wiggle room' here, in case there are unforeseen terrain advantages to be fixed.

Updates:
changed creeps at north/south expansion mines from red to green
separated the gold mines and shops on the four central plateaus.
-
removed shops at the ends, replaced with waygates
removed two goblin observatories in the corners, replaced with shops
put a thin tree wall at the north and south entrances of the red/blue starting locations
increased the amount of unbuildable terrain around the waygates
-
set ally properties such that a 4v4 distributes bases appropriately.

Other work:
Pack

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates
Contents

Prism (Map)

Reviews
Orcnet21:32, 17th Aug 2013 Map Approved Prism (No Version/s Stated) RateScorePercentLetter 5/591-100A RateScorePercentLetter 4/581-90%B RateScorePercentLetter 3/575-80%C RateScorePercentLetter 2/570-74%D...

M

1b5e5a7776e87f86f9c6951fa3dad711_64508.gif
Orcnet21:32, 17th Aug 2013

Comment

Review

Map Approved
Prism (No Version/s Stated)

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

Overview:

Gameplay

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"The creep difficulty is quite useful though some of them are blockers for incoming player forces to arrive in your base, also the player positions can be custom for Team play, since some of the expansion design is open wide for attacks giving worker units vulnerable to agile hits, still I like the idea."

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Terrain is a bit wide and open, I would suggest giving the goblin laboratory region some city like themed going on or a workshop like setting, it looks too wide in view, yet can be considerable."

Management

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Overall map can be useful."

Total Score:

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
9/1580%C

Level 13
Comment

Very Nice map, but screens are needed, could you add some.

Terrain

Terrain is very good. This is a very nice map.

Gameplay

A regular melee map.

Final Rating:

Terrain:5/5
Gameplay:4/5
Comment:4/5

FINAL RATING:
5/5

Suggestions
-Add some screenshots

GIFT

+1 rep :D

Level 3
Hey normalice,

Thanks for creating this map, this is very interesting. There are like 2 4 ways on each sideof the map, that could create very good games. It is very innnovative.

I am always focused on the balance between position. We can admit some minor advantages but I think the map need some corrections :

red/blue : only have access to the 4 mid mines that will be contested by all players. Others pos have an easy access to a golem expand, not them. They are practically surrounded between two players and will have to fight wherever they go

purp/teal : easy access to 4 mines, lot of space, easy access to gold and creep from the side of the map

green/pink/orange/yellow : in between situation but those guys will attack red and blue early, pretty much their victims every games.

How I would fix :

- keep the prism idea but push green/pink/orange/yellow little closer to purp/teal pos to give red/blue more space to develop. They will have more interest in creeping the back than rushing red/blue.
- rotate the 4 mid mines in a way that each player has an obvious natural expand. they can fight for the others as well but the "natural" should be clearly pathed to the 4 mains. Its hard to explain, keep the exact same layout, just a rotation.

Other minor stuff :
- Lab on mid is not usefull. You need shredder when you are tier 1 and you wont creep that camp before t3. I would put somehting else or just a nice graphic useless building. Lol maybe a church which would separate the two red camps :D
- Except for the main, the rest of the terrains are kinda naked. No trees on expo, not much details. I'd like more detail on the water elemental camp, they kinda spawn out of nowhere. Murlocs usually have a couple more huts etc... BUt thats a minor thing.

Overall I think it would make a very good ffa map. It has what I like in LastManStanding map (two side battling, each winner playing a final) but it does not have its negative points : both sides of map can interact very early, there is no imba dragon roost or those kind of stupid thing. If you can make mid position less oppressed, It can work out very well!

Thanks for making this

Level 13
Hey normalice,

Thanks for creating this map, this is very interesting. There are like 2 4 ways on each sideof the map, that could create very good games. It is very innnovative.

I am always focused on the balance between position. We can admit some minor advantages but I think the map need some corrections :

red/blue : only have access to the 4 mid mines that will be contested by all players. Others pos have an easy access to a golem expand, not them. They are practically surrounded between two players and will have to fight wherever they go

purp/teal : easy access to 4 mines, lot of space, easy access to gold and creep from the side of the map

green/pink/orange/yellow : in between situation but those guys will attack red and blue early, pretty much their victims every games.

How I would fix :

- keep the prism idea but push green/pink/orange/yellow little closer to purp/teal pos to give red/blue more space to develop. They will have more interest in creeping the back than rushing red/blue.
- rotate the 4 mid mines in a way that each player has an obvious natural expand. they can fight for the others as well but the "natural" should be clearly pathed to the 4 mains. Its hard to explain, keep the exact same layout, just a rotation.

Other minor stuff :
- Lab on mid is not usefull. You need shredder when you are tier 1 and you wont creep that camp before t3. I would put somehting else or just a nice graphic useless building. Lol maybe a church which would separate the two red camps :D
- Except for the main, the rest of the terrains are kinda naked. No trees on expo, not much details. I'd like more detail on the water elemental camp, they kinda spawn out of nowhere. Murlocs usually have a couple more huts etc... BUt thats a minor thing.

Overall I think it would make a very good ffa map. It has what I like in LastManStanding map (two side battling, each winner playing a final) but it does not have its negative points : both sides of map can interact very early, there is no imba dragon roost or those kind of stupid thing. If you can make mid position less oppressed, It can work out very well!

Thanks for making this
red and blue should have access to the upper and lower golemn expansions. If you think the path should be widened, I can do that..

or, i could close off G/P/O/Y's path to the upper/lower mines. This may drive them to compete for the outer mines (and creeps) as well, possibly evening things out. However, this also closes off Yellow's path to Orange, and Green's path to Pink - which, again, is the same distance as it would be to get to Red or blue.

I wouldn't think G/P/O/Y would be too focused on R/B. They have to go around the trees to get to them, which actually turns out to be exactly the same run as Purple/Teal. Additionally, they may face each other. I could move them to the other side of the waygate, though, if you think that will help.

As for the observatory in the middle, I think I'll just put two up there and make the creeps a little easier.

I meant to decorate the water elemental camps, went looking for lily pads, couldn't find them and then forgot all about it... oops

Last edited:
Level 3
I can host a few real players games on it just to show you what I think is going to happen to red and blue... maybe im wrong. I just dont see why those 3 are so slumped together while the other guy has so much space
can try tonight

Level 13
I can host a few real players games on it just to show you what I think is going to happen to red and blue... maybe im wrong. I just dont see why those 3 are so slumped together while the other guy has so much space
can try tonight
the 'clumping' is because i wanted yellow and orange to have a chance to fight (and pink/green). I was afraid that if I put them too close to the edge, they would certainly fight Teal/Purple, and no one else. Right now they have three enemies that 'look close,' even though technically everyone is exactly the same distance away from each other. I am kind-of hoping that people who play this may are experienced enough to know not to give people with good position luck too much time alone.

And I just wanted to mention: when you host it, please be sure to use the updated version.

Last edited: