• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Phoenix Trial #1 - Reflection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

No, it's a polymorphed human : )

Level 8
First tried a hand with a reflecting magic circle, now I change it too more black and something similiar ... "Dark Reflection", not that good ?

Chaos

Attachments

• DISBTN_DarkReflection.jpg
    DISBTN_DarkReflection.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 177
  • BTN_DarkReflection.jpg
    BTN_DarkReflection.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 203
  • PASBTN_DarkReflection.jpg
    PASBTN_DarkReflection.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 172

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Looks like blood more than something reflective.

Nice drawing, you have skill apparently.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Wow Chriz, lol that's funny. Only, if the Human has been polymorphed, why do they have that nice manicured hand holding the mirror? :p

Sorceress backfired on herself, and it's still taking place as she looks : P

Shut up you! =.=

Level 8
Just a WIP, nothing special, just want to show up, it's gonna a mirror shield, reflecting spells, you know :smile: I got 3 others version of it as well, let's see what's going out best. Keep patient.

Chaos

Attachments

• wip-1.jpg
    wip-1.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 178
  • wip-2.jpg
    wip-2.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

The only thing is, if there's nothing reflected in the eye, it doesn't really fit the theme. I think.

Level 8
Chaos, those smell like they are stolen...seriously, the hand ones...

eh :eekani: they are not ... tell me what I should draw, I'll do it ... try it.
EDIT: I can base my structure on advanced pictures in the web, that does not mean I recolor them or what you think.

attachment.php

ok, after I presented this one, I asked throug Chat what they think of it, I came to the conclusion (with the help of Chriz.) that it does not really fit into the theme, cause it's more red/black - bloody colored, so it won't get a great potential for this Contest, I changed it into the negative version of it, to get a reflection spell ...
attachment.php

Last edited:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Do you draw over something, as in using it as a template? Or just using it as a reference for freehand?

Level 8
Do you draw over something, as in using it as a template? Or just using it as a reference for freehand?

Using as references, but there is not only one reference, you need more than one to start of ... easier. I start in the next days my 3. Icon, and I'll make a lot of step by step pictures to come to an finaly well-made Icon, hope so.

Chaos:infl_thumbs_up:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Needs more definition and contrast, and a better background.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

For the lost definition, if you are using photoshop try using the sharpen more filter twice before shrinkage, that usually helps a lot.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Premonition looks like it would make a cool aura. And I like the second one too.

By the way, will the icons be judged separately? Or all of a users submissions be judged together?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 9
Except the fact I cannot remember when Thrall last saw a mirror, I can only say 3 things concerning this contest:

1) The good ideas keep on staying hidden, as none of us seems to have a strike of fortune into bringing an awesome icon (that includes me too!!! ).

2) The theme seems to be even more difficult than previously expected...

3) I will not post a WIP or anything else until I find a nice thing to draw. So... we'll see before the 19th of March.

I have some ideas, yet I also have some work to do and some programming contest to join. I'll have to make a choice... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Cheers and good luck, everyone!

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

1) The good ideas keep on staying hidden, as none of us seems to have a strike of fortune into bringing an awesome icon (that includes me too!!! ).

So you're saying none of the icons up until now are any good?

Level 36
Well Here's my WIP... I have yet to add the orc, but that will becoming very shortly. Of course it doesn't come close to any of you peoples work, but I am in this for fun after all :smile: It will be called Reflecting Life... when it is done...

Attachments

• orc1.jpg
    orc1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Good or not, here they are.

Chriz. Final submission..

Frightening Reality.
2BTNnew.jpg2PASBTNnew.jpg2DISBTNnew.jpg

Frightening Change.
22BTN.jpg22PASBTN.jpg22DISBTN.jpg

Vanity.
3BTN.jpg3PASBTN.jpg3DISBTN.jpg

Attachments

• FrighteningChange.tga
    12 KB · Views: 64
  • Frightening Reality.tga
    12 KB · Views: 68
  • Vanity.tga
    12 KB · Views: 81
Level 12
1st Submission - Premonition

2nd Submission - Protective Reflection

3rd Submission - Beacon of Light

The last two icons only took less than 10 minutes each.

Attachments

• BTN Reflection.tga
    16 KB · Views: 73
  • BTN Reflection.jpg
    BTN Reflection.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 374
  • DISBTN Reflection.jpg
    DISBTN Reflection.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 221
  • Passive Reflection.jpg
    Passive Reflection.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 192
  • BTN Protective Reflection.tga
    16 KB · Views: 61
  • BTN Protective Reflection.jpg
    BTN Protective Reflection.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 349
  • DISBTN Protective Reflection.jpg
    DISBTN Protective Reflection.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 178
  • Passive Protective Reflection.jpg
    Passive Protective Reflection.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 216
  • Passive Beacon of Light.jpg
    Passive Beacon of Light.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 192
  • DISBTN Beacon of Light.jpg
    DISBTN Beacon of Light.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 221
  • BTN Beacon of Light.jpg
    BTN Beacon of Light.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 335
  • BTN Beacon of Light.tga
    16 KB · Views: 123
Level 9
So you're saying none of the icons up until now are any good?

Well... I don't want to seem rude or something like that, but...
I know I am not actually entitled to criticise you or any other participants to this contest as I have not yet uploaded nor digitally designed no icon, but my opinion is that the icons I've seen so far either don't have enough W3 atmosphere infused or lack W3 style. I was flabbergasted when I saw some of the icons used by the "Explore the Ruins" map (I guess it's called this way, I'll check again, I know I DL it from THW)...

I am not impressed so far by the present submissions. That's just me. No offence to any of you - it's just that I do not 100% like what I see for the moment (I dare claim that I don't enjoy not even 75%).

What I can say is that they are a good starting point.
That's all. Please don't feel offended. I have a few ideas of my own and as soon as I can grab a PC with Photoshop, I'll try to make them real...

Level 9
Oky doky then... Let's see:

Chriz

Frightening Reality.
attachment.php

The border of the mirror is too "perfect" for an orc. Is it not? Some rougher wooden margins would do (though the entire mirror notion is murky when thinking to orcs...).
The hand is too fine for a creature now morphed into an orc. Fix that!
The green colour is too lime for an orc... is it not? And the tongue... is it not too pink? :D

Frightening Change.
attachment.php

For crying out loud, since when sheep got fingers instead of hooves? That's just embarrassing! For the sheep, I mean! :p

BTW - that dumb sheep really looks... dumb! It's actually fun watching it! Great job, Chriz!

Vanity.
attachment.php

Could someone explain me what should I see in this icon? Because I cannot understand what creature is reflected. Honestly. Judging by the eye and ear, I'd say it's a human. But this is where any resemblance ends.
Hand and fingers too similar to the one above.
Mirror border looks awesome in the first icon (F R). In this one, it looks like a.... black thing? What is it supposed to be?

All icons would use some serious contrast and definition to the reflected image in the mirror, in order to emphasize the reflected picture.

brad.dude03

Reflections of Life
attachment.php

With all due respect - it looks growse for an icon. For your first icon, it looks like another lame Copy and Paste. Sorry - it's just that...

camel's_hump

Premonition
attachment.php

Seems like a coin on the eye of now a dead fellow. Nothing more.

Protective Reflection
attachment.php

Nothing to say... neither positive, not negative... just another icon, I guess...

Beacon of Light
attachment.php

Too low detailed, too blurry... The idea is good yet not like this. Keep the "Holy Graal" in place, yet make it more obvious. And dish out the background, in order to emphasize the glowing object, not its hight relative to the ground beneath.

Neither looks jaw breaking. Sorry...

Herio-san

Spellbending Sceptor
spellbendingsceptorga9.png

Just a black background. Nasty.
Not W3 like. The scepter lacks 3 dimensionality. The integration with the orb on top of it lacks quality. The orb itself looks awkward...
And if you meant to represent a spell by that green thing, try to make it rounder. Like this, it seems to only ignore the staff... Plus, it's Scepter, not Sceptor.
Plus, it looks a little bit nasty where the staff meets the metal border.

Nothing more to add to ya.

Well... these being said, I hope you'll find the lines above rather helpful than offending. The last thing I wanted by this post is to offend you.

Ok... Cheers and good luck designing!

Last edited:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Vanity.
attachment.php

Could someone explain me what should I see in this icon? Because I cannot understand what creature is reflected. Honestly. Judging by the eye and ear, I'd say it's a human. But this is where any resemblance ends.
Hand and fingers too similar to the one above.
Mirror border looks awesome in the first icon (F R). In this one, it looks like a.... black thing? What is it supposed to be?

All icons would use some serious contrast and definition to the reflected image in the mirror, in order to emphasize the reflected picture.

It's a human male, looking at his own reflection in the mirror, with his fingers held up to his chin, it's a cliche pose, if you will. And he has a smirk on his face because he obviously likes what he sees. At least that's what I tried for with this icon.

The color of the hand I'm going to fix to match the face better, a friend pointed that one out to me.

And the border, I was kind of at a loss for what to do/what color to make t, so I tried black, maybe if I add more highlights in some areas it will look a bit better.

But I don't really plan on doing much more to these, I quite like them myself the way they are. Thanks for taking the time to go over them though, it is appreciated.

Level 9
Well - I can't draw an orc either!
Relax, I honestly do not completely understand this freehand mania. Jeez, people, not everybody has a graphical tablet. With a mouse, you cannot be as accurate as you would like, not even 75%. You just can't.

I agree to the principle of freehand, yet... It's just too hard to keep 100% close to it.

So, CnP would not be so grouse if you'd have made sure to merge it better. It simply screams "BAD LOOKING CNP!!!". That's all.

------
Chriz - it's ok. With the borders of those mirrors... Try something Elven like for the V, an Orc like for FR and a human / rogue / neutral like for the FC.

Please, REMOVE THE FINGERS of that sheep! It's painfully funny to think a sheep has human fingers!

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

No, CnP defeats the purpose of making something for an art contest, then it becomes a contest to see who can find/merge the best pictures, it honestly ruins the whole competition, and is like a slap in the face to people who go out of their way to really work hard.

No offense to you brad, I understand your situation : P But just keep trying.

And the hand in the sheep one is staying, it's supposed to be that the person is realizing that they are being polymorphed (no brad it's not instantaneous in my world : P) If I change it to hooves, it loses the whole meaning behind it, and just becomes a sheep looking in a mirror.

Level 36
Heg, well i'm not a very artisitic person. I cannot freehand very well at all, and drawing is pretty much beyond me... but the whole intention of my icon was to create a rippling pool of water, which I did, and to have a face looking into it. I've had that orc image on my PC for some time, so when searching through my pictures for one to use, it became instantly apparent that it was the way to go. I will try to do more freehand and less cnp in my other two, I just need to find some good ideas :) This theme is quite restricting though, honestly almost all of the submissions have been relying on a reflection like a mirror (or water in my case) or a glint on the shiny surface of some object that has little to do with the theme...

Status
Not open for further replies.