• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[My first Terrain]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
441dbbfb43166d22a9140f234c2309f79152d208.jpg

Hey, I come from China, I try to use the translation tool, please forgive my broken English, this is my first Terrain, I hope you like it, but I haven't decided what the name is?:confused:

Level 36
That terrain went down the rabbit hole and dirtied it's little fluffy white tail.

I was going to say "for a first terrain, this is very impressive", and it is still true,
but I feel a bit more reserved toward the "improvements."

Frankly I prefer the first one, it had ambience, character and above all: Not the
god-awful villager model slap-face in front of the camera. My first advice is this:

Be very careful with unit models in scenic terrains.

Most unit models look awful, and will look awful in every situation, they mostly tend
to ruin every terrain they touch. This is because the wc3 unit models are made to be
looked at from above, not from a cinematic angle. Therefore it takes skill, time,
patience and a good eye to make unit models work.

So, seeing as I prefer the first one and think you should completely revert back to that
and work from there, I will give my advice based on it:

I love the colours, the mix of dark and bright is not only realistic looking, it's also appealing.
The angle could be tilted somewhat, but not as much as you did in the second rendition, but
you could give it a 10 or 20° tilt to the left or right. And yes, a shadowy figure at the end of
the corridor just barely visible in the fog would certainly give this terrain a nice focal point.

Other than that the other main issue with this terrain is textures and choice of models, every
model you've used, except the cracks in the floor, could be improved by using Talavaj's doodad
pack, he has better looking lanterns, better looking walls, and much better textures. I also think
you could either completely remove the skeletons on the side or move them further back so that
their bad textures are more obscured by the fog.

Overall though, this is a very nice first try, and it's nice to see some fresh breath to this forum,
I hope you continue terraining, and I hope you will continue to share you ventures with us here :)
Oh and do yourself a favour: Try to learn English, you'll come so much further in the world for it.

Level 5
That terrain went down the rabbit hole and dirtied it's little fluffy white tail.

I was going to say "for a first terrain, this is very impressive", and it is still true,
but I feel a bit more reserved toward the "improvements."

Frankly I prefer the first one, it had ambience, character and above all: Not the
god-awful villager model slap-face in front of the camera. My first advice is this:

Be very careful with unit models in scenic terrains.

Most unit models look awful, and will look awful in every situation, they mostly tend
to ruin every terrain they touch. This is because the wc3 unit models are made to be
looked at from above, not from a cinematic angle. Therefore it takes skill, time,
patience and a good eye to make unit models work.

So, seeing as I prefer the first one and think you should completely revert back to that
and work from there, I will give my advice based on it:

I love the colours, the mix of dark and bright is not only realistic looking, it's also appealing.
The angle could be tilted somewhat, but not as much as you did in the second rendition, but
you could give it a 10 or 20° tilt to the left or right. And yes, a shadowy figure at the end of
the corridor just barely visible in the fog would certainly give this terrain a nice focal point.

Other than that the other main issue with this terrain is textures and choice of models, every
model you've used, except the cracks in the floor, could be improved by using Talavaj's doodad
pack, he has better looking lanterns, better looking walls, and much better textures. I also think
you could either completely remove the skeletons on the side or move them further back so that
their bad textures are more obscured by the fog.

Overall though, this is a very nice first try, and it's nice to see some fresh breath to this forum,
I hope you continue terraining, and I hope you will continue to share you ventures with us here :)
Oh and do yourself a favour: Try to learn English, you'll come so much further in the world for it.

Thank you for your advice.

In fact this is not my first terrain, My first terrain is use many "low wall",

Because I use translation tools, I don't know what was the wall original name of,

but I remember is a cube, 4 side is the lion" to build a castle, this is my fourth

terrain. But this is the first geography that I'm happy with. I try to send my

country my terrain in BBS, we call it "Baidu Post Bar", but they could not provide

terrain helpful advice, because they have a lot of people don't understand the

terrain, they only said terrain is great, so I think only hiveworkshop is my home,

I in this website for 2 years, seen many great works, so I want to do my own

terrain.

It is difficult to control corridor light, there are a lot of a problem I'm

annoyed. Maybe I don't have enough ability to do it, I have no experience, so I can

try to simple point, I can return to the first time and get more atmosphere, after

I become a master lighting control, Deeper into the darkness.

As for the villagers' problem, I will replace a more hd model or delete it.

Then add a high definition terrain texture, broken brick, I most want to find the dust

special effects, But I don't know how to find in hiveworkshop. In special effects,

I can't find anything about dust, maybe I should learn to made it myself?

The bone model I already know which one, I'll switch to a more real one.

I'm busy helping my friends with the terrain of their RPG map, and I may not have

time, but I will keep updating it.

As for learning English, I know how big the world is, and I have a lot of places

want to go, so this website is the first step for me to learn English. After more

communication, I am no longer rely on translation tools.

thank you

Level 36
There are some VFX effects in the UTM, you'll find them under "Cinematic" in the tool window.

Though I am not sure it has the "dust" kind of effect you're looking for :/

Also, I forgot to link to Talavaj's map, you might want to check that out for this and future terrains ^^

Level 5
There are some VFX effects in the UTM, you'll find them under "Cinematic" in the tool window.

Though I am not sure it has the "dust" kind of effect you're looking for :/

Also, I forgot to link to Talavaj's map, you might want to check that out for this and future terrains ^^

Sorry, UTM and Talavaj I saw it a year ago. I am looking for the dust in this picture, the white, a little bit of dust on the tower.
Maybe a texture or a sky model?
1519893579x-1404792909.png

Level 36
I'm sure @fladdermasken would love to elaborate on this, but in the meantime I'll
give you my two cents on what that is and how it was done.

Firstly: That is not one model, it is several models and effects working in unison. Two of
the most central models, I think, is the "Glow" model from the UTM and either the "Stars"
model or "White Star" model also from the UTM. The glow model is central to most terrains
you see here at the hive, it is part of the "smoke and mirrors" techniques that we, if not
invented, then at least perfected here on the hive.

The glow model can be harnessed to great effect by using the RGB settings in the object editor,
here you can alter the tints of the model, by editing the values you can change its colour and,
specific to the glow model and similar models, its opacity, its transparency. If you set all three
values to "0" the glow will become invisible, if all set to "255" it is a shining white, and then
the intermingling of values will create several different effects. By setting the value to low,
something like "10" on all three or 10/10/5 to get a more yellowish colour, and then spamming
the model one in front of the other you can create some very kick-ass lighting effects.

The fog effect is further elevated by clever use of the engine's built-in fog editor, found at
Scenario > Map Options > Use Terrain Fog, when the box is ticked you will be presented with
two fields of value, one named "Z Start" and one named "Z End", if you set the "Z Start" to
0 and the "Z End" to 4000 you will see that the fog covers the entire terrain, and then increasing
or decreasing the Z End values will determine the "thickness" of the fog. You can also edit the fogs
RGB settings by selecting the "Color" field and choose "Custom" which will be at the top of the list.

These two, the terrain fog and the glow model, used together is one of many techniques that make
up the illusions and effects you can see in a variety of terrains.

Anyway, I have now summoned the wretched beast of the abyss, and I reckon he will
arrive soonish to give a more personal explanation of how he did what he did in his terrain ^^

Level 5
I'm sure @fladdermasken would love to elaborate on this, but in the meantime I'll
give you my two cents on what that is and how it was done.

Firstly: That is not one model, it is several models and effects working in unison. Two of
the most central models, I think, is the "Glow" model from the UTM and either the "Stars"
model or "White Star" model also from the UTM. The glow model is central to most terrains
you see here at the hive, it is part of the "smoke and mirrors" techniques that we, if not
invented, then at least perfected here on the hive.

The glow model can be harnessed to great effect by using the RGB settings in the object editor,
here you can alter the tints of the model, by editing the values you can change its colour and,
specific to the glow model and similar models, its opacity, its transparency. If you set all three
values to "0" the glow will become invisible, if all set to "255" it is a shining white, and then
the intermingling of values will create several different effects. By setting the value to low,
something like "10" on all three or 10/10/5 to get a more yellowish colour, and then spamming
the model one in front of the other you can create some very kick-ass lighting effects.

The fog effect is further elevated by clever use of the engine's built-in fog editor, found at
Scenario > Map Options > Use Terrain Fog, when the box is ticked you will be presented with
two fields of value, one named "Z Start" and one named "Z End", if you set the "Z Start" to
0 and the "Z End" to 4000 you will see that the fog covers the entire terrain, and then increasing
or decreasing the Z End values will determine the "thickness" of the fog. You can also edit the fogs
RGB settings by selecting the "Color" field and choose "Custom" which will be at the top of the list.

These two, the terrain fog and the glow model, used together is one of many techniques that make
up the illusions and effects you can see in a variety of terrains.

Anyway, I have now summoned the wretched beast of the abyss, and I reckon he will
arrive soonish to give a more personal explanation of how he did what he did in his terrain ^^

Oh, thank you. Is it the war3 model Edito?
Next time I will try to change the glow model myself.
I'm already excited.
Fladdermasken's terrain is the level I want to reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.