• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest 16 - TANKS

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. we have already had a "siege weapon" contest, and we do not want to broaden the contest constraints so far as to repeat a theme.
Yes sir, we HAD, centuries ago. Even if we start repeating contest themes, they won't be the same, since the modeling community is totally different. It's a shame that this dumb consistency is among our concerns...

Anyhow, I'll think about something different to model.

well... better start the wips coming!
wip.jpg
as you can see only the turret part of the tank is done so far

Level 9
Just to be sure I'm posting it here..can I use this concept?Da vinci inspired turtle tank.What's the poly limit?

Attachments

• user176292_pic20419_1258477704.jpg
    user176292_pic20419_1258477704.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 204
  • user176292_pic20416_1258477633.jpg
    user176292_pic20416_1258477633.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 201
Level 51
puh, soo many kickass "tank" modellers joined the contest, I think I haven't got even a liiiiitle bit of a chance... D:

Anyway :) before I join I wanted to ask if this concept would be ok for a tank ( Don't think so D: ) nargh, maybe I find another concept if this isn't acceptable...

PS: Don't see this as a "contest joining"!! :p

Attachments

• 469720-scorpion_super.jpg
    469720-scorpion_super.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 274
Level 26
Ike_Ike said:
If everyone who's posted in this thread reps me now, I guarantee that I will submit something. Something. something ... something ....
While not necessarily addressed in the contest guidelines, i would like to ask that the contestants to please refrain from "rep-whoring".... with this said, i would like to add, that your concepts look promising Ike_Ike, and we would like it very much if you decided to join. I am sure that any model you make would be deserving of rep.

we had this discussion in chat, an artillery is something on the backline, not necessarily needing armour and such, a tank is a large(relative to a cavalry) front-line combat vehicle

however....
"And please keep in mind that the point of a tank is to be used in battle, so your submission MUST have a weapon of some sort, be it a catapult, a cannon, a mortar, a machine gun, Gatling gun, laser, missile launcher, grenade launcher, or melee weapon, ETC ETC."
anarchian did say mortar. isnt mortar and artillery pretty much the same idea?

Lolnoob. It wouldn't. xDDDDDDDD You so nooby.
I don't think so. "Make bone_turret face targeted unit" I think. Lets ask someone who knows what he's talking about.
ololol dat guy isnt u 4 shure! that function-thing doesnt even exist. :ugly::ugly::ugly:

what would be possible is a trigger that makes the tank make a body-part facing to some point, then instead of bone_turret you should name the weapon bone as bone_head. But I guess that body-part facing can't be done if the unit isn't standing still, so, 1 model itself wouldn't get rid of this.
It'd be awesome to make SC-like siege tanks, but it's pretty much not possible using modeling alone.

and i know what im talking about :spell_breaker::spell_breaker::pal:

Level 26
Is there and distinction between HOWITZERS and TANKS in this contest?

Would this qualify? Not acually going to do anything, just wanting to clarify.

I will accept any of those models as an entry, they are not necessarily considered "tanks" but i would allow those to give us some more variety. I have allowed tires and legs ALONG with treads for this reason. The weapon is up to you. Sometimes models just need a little imagination to work with.

To clarify i will accept tanks with mortars on them. (for example, the wraith tank in halo fires "plasma" mortars)

As i have said in the first post feel free to use your imagination.

It has to be a mobile weapon for siege that can fire while it moves - so if it has to stop to shoot it doesn't qualify

Amigurami is correct, wc3 does not and has never supported attacking while moving, please wait for either pyritie or me to clarify any and all questions during the contest before making assumptions.

To Devine, Yes, some people have made turreting (fire while moving systems), but I will in no way require anyone to use a turreting system for this contest.

Pyramidhe@d, meh, for tanks, i am going to say that a tank should ideally be versatile, so it could be on the front or rear lines of a conflict, like, for example, in Halo, there are missions where the scorpion are frontline and some where scorpions are backup.

..... and to everyone else, please stop caling others "lolnoob", i dont want this to turn into flaming/spamming, stay on topic, yada yada yada. :/

anywho, good luck to the contestants

Status
Not open for further replies.