• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Let's make a map! (Forum Game idea)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
homies we might need a tavern at this point ;p

A tavern?
Are you referring to the mercenary hero-buying building, or are you saying we build a bar scenario?

SECOND BATCH OF EDITS DONE

Change Log:

Reduced EXP gain during the snowy mountain scenario. Players were routinely getting 1 and a half to 2 levels in that single battle. I have reduced it to 60% of normal exp gain for the duration of that fight. Enough for a huge payoff, but not enough to be leaping jack ahead like crazy as it was.

Fixed a bug in which the gate leading out of the Snowy Mountain area would open anytime a unit died during the fight. A bug I caused in the first place, actually.

Adjusted the Samurai dialogue per Knight's request.

Decorated the Necromancer starting area more.

New Change Log:

Decorated the Lich's Chapel a bit more.

Changed the Grim Jester's illusions to be called "Puppets" to better fit the Jester theme. All relevant tooltips and triggers have been updated to reflect the change.

Reduced the experience Jack gains while in the Catacombs to counteract the huge number of Mismatched Dead fights he can get into in there.

The Samurai and Black Mage in the Lich's Chapel are now correctly invulnerable.

Attachments

• Map Thing ver 27d.w3x
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Level 6
@Leo: The necromancer's summons do not function properly. Since they are all copied off of the same base ability, they all seem to react to any one of them being used, resulting in it consistently summoning either just archers or brutes at higher level.

Every time I take a look at the map I try to find a way to fix this up, but I simply can't. I think we need to start looking at alternative ways of doing the Necromancer's summons.

We either need a scripter to fix this problem, or we need to change the powers within our own abilities.

I wanted to get your thoughts before any changes were made.

Level 6
Messing with the strings doesn't fix it. Different spellbooks MIGHT, but that gives the necromancer even MORE powers and separates his powers further. I'd vote for condensation, not expansion. Like make it a single spell, at level 1 you get a warrior and an archer. At level 2 you get a warrior, archer, mage, and bruiser. At level 6 you get a warrior, archer, mage, bruiser, and ghost.

IDK. I personally don't think that power is all that awesome, either. But something needs to be done.

I'd also vote for condensing dark pact and dark ritual into a single power. That can be very easily done with triggers, and it would save another button space.

Level 6
Mess with me necro as mucha u want, me no care

Thank you, Leo!

I always prefer to get original creator's consent before making any substantive change to their work.

Would anybody object if I built another scenario?
I've got more ideas now.

Or I'd be happy to just put my ideas up here on the thread and let other people adapt and create them.

Level 6
EDITING DONE. Or at least this batch.
I'm going to add a new scenario when I pick it up again, but I wanted to get these updates out there for tonight.

THE NECROMANCER HAS BEEN UPDATED!!!
Check him out, and let me know what you think!!!

Change Log:

Changed Necromancer's Death Pact into Reclaimation, a single power that heals both health and mana on a longer cooldown. Necromancer no longer uses Dark Ritual.

Changed Raise Dead into single power that summons a combination of ranged and melee skeletons.

Changed Necromancer Masta Training. This ability now upgrades the Necromancer's other powers and grants him a damage bonus.

Replaced Barrage of Death with the ability Slay.

Adjusted the projectile launch and impact for the Necromancer.

Attachments

• Map Thing ver 29.w3x
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Necro a lot more manageable this time around, plus the engineering upgrade is a nice touch. One thing I'd change though is the cooldown on Raise Dead. if your minions' timer runs out before the cooldown is done, then that means that you will go through periods where you have no minions at your command... which kinda defeats the purpose of the Necromancer :D

Good job nevertheless.

eh, the Necro can summon corpses. Just make the minions and the raise dead spell have low timers both, though I'd argue making the summons last a bit longer so the Necro can stack them at least once. The point of a summoner is to have an army after all. Not that the necro is a pure summoner, but he might as well be since we don't have one like that already... unless you go with the Black Mage that can have 4 things at once.

EDIT: EDITING DONE

- Changed Smoke Bomb to be persistent AoE (Aka Dragonhawk Cloud) instead of affecting the initial targets only. The new Smoke Bomb no longer removes ranged attacks but instead increases the miss change to 70%.
- Swapped out the Venom passive for Shadowsouled - every strike dealt to an enemy unit increases the Shadowstalker's agility by 1/2/3. No attacks for 3 seconds removes 1 agility. Caps at 40. Potentially overpowered. I would have nerfed it but the way the spell works is that it requires 3 different attribute bonus spells that each have 40 levels so changing the tooltip is a veritable pain. Sorry to whomever will modify it :D
- Changed model of Shadowstalker to Headhunter.

I'll probably go back to that hero at a later date and change Knockout to something else if that ok with the author of the Shadowstalker.

Attachments

• Map Thing ver 29.w3x
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Level 6
eh, the Necro can summon corpses. Just make the minions and the raise dead spell have low timers both, though I'd argue making the summons last a bit longer so the Necro can stack them at least once. The point of a summoner is to have an army after all. Not that the necro is a pure summoner, but he might as well be since we don't have one like that already... unless you go with the Black Mage that can have 4 things at once.

EDIT: EDITING DONE

- Changed Smoke Bomb to be persistent AoE (Aka Dragonhawk Cloud) instead of affecting the initial targets only. The new Smoke Bomb no longer removes ranged attacks but instead increases the miss change to 70%.
- Swapped out the Venom passive for Shadowsouled - every strike dealt to an enemy unit increases the Shadowstalker's agility by 1/2/3. No attacks for 3 seconds removes 1 agility. Caps at 40. Potentially overpowered. I would have nerfed it but the way the spell works is that it requires 3 different attribute bonus spells that each have 40 levels so changing the tooltip is a veritable pain. Sorry to whomever will modify it :D
- Changed model of Shadowstalker to Headhunter.

I'll probably go back to that hero at a later date and change Knockout to something else if that ok with the author of the Shadowstalker.

I'm fine with you changing Knockout. Good changes to the stalker already while holding onto the real spirit of it.

EDITING DONE

Change Log:

Necromancer Adjustments:
Changed Raise Dead to have a cooldown of 50 seconds. Necromancer Masta Training reduces this to 40/30/20 seconds, so the character starts out with the 40 second duration, equal to the duration of the minions. In addition, the duration of the skeletons now progresses 30/40/50/60 seconds. This means that Raise Minions is now stackable from Necromaster Masta Training level 2 and onward, albeit in a limited fashion, and that should be fine with the heavy mana cost. To adjust for this, the damage of the minions has been reduced slightly, and the armor bonus from Necromancer Masta Training has been removed. All skeletons now have a base armor of 2 for the bruisers, and 0 for the marksmen. All skeletons have had their HP reduced by 50 for bruisers and 30 for marksmen. This should adjust for the increased numbers, and make it feel more like a squishy swarm than a powerful small group. To adjust for the reduced HP, Reclaimation has had the mana gained altered. It is now 35/50/65/80%. Reclaimation has also had its mana cost reduced. All relevant tooltips have been upgraded.

Ravager Adjustments:
Ravager's Mana Burn and Blast of Fire have been increased in power.

Adjusted various tooltips.

New Scenario:
The Spider Caverns is reached from the spider forest area of the HUB. This area is totally infested with spiders. Once Jack kills 4 of the Spider Lords in this area, all of the mobs disappear and the scenario is finished. The spider lords have a lucrative loot dropping table, so this area can help net Jack some more good items, if he's lucky. The loot table also works as just a generic drop list for medium power enemies.

NOTES ON THE SHADOWSTALKER:
Shadowsouled is an extremely fun power, but testing quickly revealed it was overpowered. I rushed the entire Shadowstalker starting area and boss without ever stopping the rest. The boss was only able to manage a single mirror image before he was killed. Fully recovering with an orb of respite afterward didn't even result in a loss of all charges. Adjustment is a necessity. I recommend having a charge drop every second that Jack is out of combat, and having the power cap at agility +20. Furthermore, using the Orb of Respite should instantly remove all charges. But those are just my suggestions. Please do whatever adjustments you think are appropriate.

Attachments

• Map Thing ver 30.w3x
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Ok then, I'm editing again. Gonna change Knockout.

DONE EDITING.

- Shadowsouled renamed Dark Blade.
- Nerfed Dark Blade to cap at 20 agility. Tooltip updated.
- Knockout replaced with Shadow Orb. Shadow Orb creates a sphere of darkness that attacks units every 3 seconds for 20/40/60 damage. The Shadow Orb's attack bounces 3 times. Lasts 15 seconds.

NB: Knockout might actually be a better spell for the Shadowstalker, all things considered. As it stands right now, the Shadowstalker might have too many offensive capabilities, though having a 'summon' does synergies nicely with the ultimate. Up to the next editors to decide.

Attachments

• Map Thing ver 30a.w3x
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Level 6
Excellent work as always, Spellbound.

Your creations are fantastic. I'm going to replace ambush with knockout when I get the map again. The stealth powers no longer mesh with the "go go go" feel of the stalker.

We really need more people to develop stuff for the HUB. So far its only my stuff.

Last edited:
Level 6
I haven't actually checked out the Hub yet. All I've been doing is make abilities so far. I'll take a look later and see what I could throw together. Also, doesn't invisibility make more sense than sleep for a Shadowstalker?

We could just have Knockout as a fifth, non-leveling power for the Shadowstalker.

@Knight: A tavern where the Lich hangs? If it can be done well, I don't see why not.

A fifth ability sounds good, though that would put other classes at a disadvantage, kinda like the Black Mage has more skill :p

That would mean all classes need new abilities :D

I plan to update the Ravager next if the author is ok with with.

PS: Checked out the Hub. Lol @ Spiderlords. Also good job on whoever did the match 2 puzzle.

Level 6
A fifth ability sounds good, though that would put other classes at a disadvantage, kinda like the Black Mage has more skill :p

That would mean all classes need new abilities :D

I plan to update the Ravager next if the author is ok with with.

PS: Checked out the Hub. Lol @ Spiderlords. Also good job on whoever did the match 2 puzzle.

Everything in the HUB has been mine, including the match game Catacombs, which I consider my current masterpiece.

I don't think we need to worry much about balance, or about making each class equal to play, since they'll never interact directly. I say just make them neat and fun and leave em like that. For instance, I think the upgraded necromancer and Grim stalker are just fine as they are.

I'd also like to suggest a Ravager power for you. It's something I'd come up with recently, but I don't have the skill to make it happen. Essentially, it's a battle charge. It has to target an enemy ground unit. The ravager rushes directly to that enemy, damaging every other foe in the path and stunning the target. It's like Blink meets Shockwave. Since it would require targeting a unit directly, it wouldn't be subject to the same insanity that Blink could cause. But if you do that, you might want to create an ability that makes a unit untargetable with the power, so that if people build units that aren't supposed to be reachable, they could simply throw that ability onto them and prevent any warping to.

@Knight: I imported but never used a Samurai model. If somebody wants to put one in, go right ahead.

Done editing... (Why you no Caps, Hive???)

Here we go, with a revamped Ravager!

- All skill have been replaced.
---- Ruinstroke: deals 70/130/200 damage and reduces target's armour by 5/7/10 for 15 seconds.
---- Unending Rampage: on cast, your next attack will heal you for x3/x4/x5 times the damage inflicted.
---- Pain to Power: after absorbing 200/250/300 damage, explode with rage, dealing 100/150/200 damage to all nearby enemies.
---- Ravage: deal 50 damage per second to all enemies around you, but also to yourself. This can kill you, but will also trigger Pain to Power.
- Ravager Model changed to Chaos knight.
- Samurai model changed to Samurai Dual Sword. (It was already imported. The texture paths were wrong though so had to be fixed :3 )
- Godsever fx (Samurai ult) changed to use Duel since weapon,left/weapon,right attachments did not seem to work on the custom model.

Attachments

• Map Thing ver 30b.w3x
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Level 6
Done editing... (Why you no Caps, Hive???)

Here we go, with a revamped Ravager!

- All skill have been replaced.
---- Ruinstroke: deals 70/130/200 damage and reduces target's armour by 5/7/10 for 15 seconds.
---- Unending Rampage: on cast, your next attack will heal you for x3/x4/x5 times the damage inflicted.
---- Pain to Power: after absorbing 200/250/300 damage, explode with rage, dealing 100/150/200 damage to all nearby enemies.
---- Ravage: deal 50 damage per second to all enemies around you, but also to yourself. This can kill you, but will also trigger Pain to Power.
- Ravager Model changed to Chaos knight.
- Samurai model changed to Samurai Dual Sword. (It was already imported. The texture paths were wrong though so had to be fixed :3 )
- Godsever fx (Samurai ult) changed to use Duel since weapon,left/weapon,right attachments did not seem to work on the custom model.

Beautiful work as always, spellbound!!!
I'll go fix up the starting areas to teach the new powers! Back in a few!

EDITING DONE!

Change Log:

Changed the save name of the map and added a description, and changed the loading screen.

Shadowstalker now has Knockout in addition to his other powers. Knockout is a non-hero ability that puts an enemy to sleep for 15 seconds.

Class info areas in the Lich's Chapel have been updated to reflect current powers.

Shadowstalker intro area updated to reflect new powers.

Ravager intro area updated to reflect new powers.

Adjusted the mobs at the very end of a few intro areas. As is, a few of them were virtually unbeatable, forcing Jack to run past them into the portals.

KNOWN ISSUES:
Wind Blades level 2 does not function. Levels 1 and 3 work as intended, but level 2 does not throw anything.

The damage from Ravager's Ravage triggers Pain to Power. I do not know if this is intended or not. If it was intended, that is awesome and you are awesome. If this was NOT intended, I suggest you test a high level ravager for a while before you institute any fix, because the synergy between the two is amazing.

Attachments

• Hive Community Map ver 30c.w3x
    1.5 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Level 6
Hello Hive!

It's time for Quill Quickcard's State of the Map update!

It has been another fine week here at the Hive. Most the work this week was spent revamping classes that already exist. Thanks to the scripting work of Spellbound, we are now loaded with powers that the base world editor could only dream of! We now have a glorious collection of 6 truly unique and exciting classes that Jack can become.

The map was decorated more, and a new scenario, the Spider Cavern, was added to the HUB.

I've included an updated progression map with this post.

To summarize the state of things, Jack awoke with amnesia next to a ruined ship. He soon after encountered a Lich, who sent him through a series of bewildering and deadly puzzles. Jack encountered a figure who hinted at his forgotten past, at the sins he had committed against his wife and crew. This figure disappeared as quickly as it came. Jack once again encountered the Lich, who revealed that it has been trapped here, and wants Jack to help it escape. He offered Jack great power so he could do this, and let Jack become a great warrior. Jack encountered the mysterious figure again, who introduced itself as the Living Judgement, Mercy, an entity created to serve as warden over the Lich's prison. Jack asked if it could just let him go, but Mercy said that it could not. There was no way out of this prison for anyone. So Jack and Mercy did battle, and Mercy was slain. Following the victory, Jack heard a mysterious voice, and it hinted that two more Living Judgements remain, and that the Lich may have had a role in Jack becoming stranded in the first place. Jack pressed on, and has found himself in what seems to be a snowy wilderness, no doubt full of new puzzles and deadly encounters.

If you are looking at this for the first time, or if maybe you have followed the work but not yet contributed, you may be thinking, "but what can I do to help? The thing has gotten so complicated now that I have no idea where to start!"

Well, fear not!

First of all, we need testers, people to play the map, and report any issues they find. Let us know what is fun to you, so we can make more of it. Let us know what isn't fun, so we can make less of it.

Second, we can always use people who are willing to just liven up the existing terrain and decorate it some.

Third, we still have room for more classes if anybody wants to develop them! There are clear, step by step instructions listed in the comments in the Scenario 10 Class Change folder that will guide you effortlessly in integrating your new class into all the existing material.

Fourth, we need new scenarios! They can be big or small, sweeping or simple, short or long. What we want is variety and new, interesting things to explore. Currently, new scenarios are being built off of the large snowy area called the HUB. Simply pick a spot in the hub, decorate it for your purpose, and put a thing there to take our protagonist away to your new scenario!

To all the community out there: We are still eagerly awaiting any who want to join The Great Work!

Attachments

• Game so far.jpg
    Game so far.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 49
No there is no vJASS, don't worry.

EDIT: P.S. It will be full of some nasty surprises, and since I am not so well in triggering fancy stuffs, it will take a longer time to finish editing the map.

Or perhaps let someone else to do the triggering or we share it?

Also, I spotted minor yet funny mistakes in the map -- why is the Hive's address spelt "www.thehiveworkshop.com"?

Last edited:
Level 6
No there is no vJASS, don't worry.

EDIT: P.S. It will be full of some nasty surprises, and since I am not so well in triggering fancy stuffs, it will take a longer time to finish editing the map.

Or perhaps let someone else to do the triggering or we share it?

Also, I spotted minor yet funny mistakes in the map -- why is the Hive's address spelt "www.thehiveworkshop.com"?

Because when I added that I was exahusted. Go ahead and fix it.

As for triggers, if you want the map to do certain things you aren't sure how to do, just let us know, and we can make it happen!

Okay

But in the end I've figured how to do the Spike Traps and never placed any fire traps.

EDITING DONE
  • Added the Den of Mystery, where you must find the Frozen Key to unlock the Third Gate. To access it you must complete the Spider Caverns and the Catacombs beforehand.
  • The Den of Mystery is quite a tricky scenario. Except some nasty surprises.
  • Added a new unit -- Frost Golem. It is based off on the Rock Golem and has Frost Attack (slows down unit in every attack), and can cast Frost Nova. Luckily for Jack, this thing is not immune to magic, the Frost Golem just happens to have Resistant Skin.
  • Minor Decorations
  • Edited tileset to add three more tiles.
  • Oops, forgot to change the address "www.thehiveworkshop.com" into the correct one "www.hiveworkshop.com" in the description

NOTES:
  • I didn't test the map after editing it, so I'm sorry if there's any bug.
  • This map is edited using JNGP (don't worry, no vJASS) and also the MiscData file. If you use the raise/lower/plateau/smooth tool and notice the custom cliffs in Den of Mystery suddenly turn into flat land, it's because you don't have the necessary MiscData file.

I'm not good at putting it in words, so look at this for more information: Here

Attachments

• Hive Community Map ver 31.w3x
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Level 6
!!!EDITING DONE!!!

Change Log:

Fixed a bug with the frozen key and associated text.

Fixed some tool tips.

Fixed map description to have accurate web address.

Fixed a bug where some creatures in the Necromancer intro area were attacking each other.

Added floating text to mark Den of Mystery entrance.

Adjusted so floating text marking entrances to scenarios in HUB only appears when Jack is nearby.

Fixed some camera stuff.

Added a save game warning when entering the Den. It needed it.

Fixed/Cleaned Up/Tweaked several triggers in the Den area. Also added a couple more mocking messages to taunt the player.

Made the Frozen Key much bigger so it will be easy to spot when dropped.

When Jack reaches level 10, the Sigil of Respite will now be replaced with the Icon of Respite. This powerful item will recover 2000 health and 1000 mana over 30 seconds. This item is intended to be able to perform a full recovery no matter how strong we end up making Jack.

Added loot to the Den of Mystery. The Den is now a place full of treasures, including items from the new Generic Great Items item table, which is meant to be used on bosses or singularly powerful creatures to provide Jack with high level, powerful rewards.

Two of the Spider Lords in the Spider Caverns now drop items from the Great loot table instead of the Good loot table.

UTILITY CHEAT ADDED:
Typing in -hub# will warp you to the start of the Hub. Perfect for testing new stuff. The number you enter determines the class you'll start as.
1: Shadowstalker
2: Necromancer
3: Ravager
4: Grim Jester
5: Samurai
6: Black Mage

Attachments

• Hive Community Map ver 32.w3x
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Any idea about what should be there after all three gates have been opened?

Perhaps adding a resting area with a merchant, fountain of power and resurrection stone?

EDIT: Doing some edits

How to make all units of certain player respawn in original position, after dying for some seconds? I plan to make the Player 11 Evil creatures in Den of Mystery respawn (without loots) after being slain.

EDITING DONE
  • Added a resting area consisting of a Consumables Merchant, a Fountain of Power and a Resurrection Stone. If Jack is killed after accessing the resting area, he will be respawned near the Resurrection Stone within ten seconds.
  • When the resting area is unlocked, Jack can freely navigate between the Hub and the Resting Area.
  • Added some flavor texts in item descriptions.
  • Added a new "Evil" player -- Player 11. Player 11 is intended for respawnable enemies.
  • Was trying to add a respawn trigger to Player 11, where its slain units would return to their original position after being slain. But I never finished it because I don't know how to do it.
  • Changed the owner of many units in Den of Mystery to Player 11.
  • Added a mysterious structure within the Den of Mystery.

Attachments

• Hive Community Map ver 33.w3x
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.