• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ice Island

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
----------User who uploaded map Presents----------

Ice Island
Created by JoySoy

Map Info:

Ice Island is a melee map for Warcraft 3.

Some else stuff about map:

There you will have enough resources to battle against another player.

Screenshots and Videos:

PD2iIpL.jpg

jUAIKTI.jpg

8Z5HrRQ.jpg

QQ9MOFM.jpg

Author's notes:

I tried to leave enough resources for your enjoyment.

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Keywords:
Melee, Snow, Ice, Island, 2, two, player, players, map, JoySoy
Contents

Ice Island (Map)

Reviews
19:15, 31st Aug 2014 Orcnet: Needs more work, see my comment

M

19:15, 31st Aug 2014
Orcnet: Needs more work, see my comment

Level 29
hi there, a melee map, so here comes the friendly feedback, i will list a lot of thing with the intention of give you info so you can improve this work or your further work. I looked your profile and i can see this is your first melee, well melee as any other types it has some rules to follow

1) the Terrain:,
a-128 x128 is to big for only 2 players, you have a lot of unecesary space. Usually for 1vs1 you should use 64x64 or 96x96 (i recommend 96x96 because 64x64 is to small)
128 x 128 is for 3 or 4 players

b- i think that dirt road of Lordaeron doesnt fit with this tileset, maybe the rocks of underground tileset can have more luck

c- I see you used the tools of terrain like low and up the path in the center but what the rest? the rest is flat, and to much flat isnt very natural, so i think that need more work

d- Tilesets: you mixed the tiles, but the map can have more tileset variation, you can use the ice and dark ice, and when the map is so big, you should try to use tilesets to create diferent areas, you did it in those temple areas but the rest can have some touch too

e- only one way of attack, using the gate, shure you can walk using the road in the center but it will take an eternity and you have to rush the middle, the gate is much faster, in melee many ways of attack are nice to plan strategy and have more fun with surprises.

2) Doodads:
a- No water doodads? no wood panel floating?,no goblin shipyard destroyed?, no burned tower? no sunken ship?, no burned corpses near the houses? no rocks???, no ice rocks? no shells in the water? and i can continue... doodads should be used to fill the map in fusion with the tile set , bigger the map more work you have.

b-Also i think those Dalaran houses doesnt fit in this enviroment, maybe some custom models can have more luck, and the cementery with the statue, did you consider to put the black fences with the cript? i think they fit more than that eastern kingdoms statue. The broken colums, maybe they will fit more if you change a little the color value to blue, just to fit but they are ok

3) Neutral buildings:
a- sorry to give you the bad news but, they arent well placed, i think you put them like Dota or Hero arena rpg but in melee never put 2 neutral buildings to near each other, look any blizzard or hive melee map and you will see thats the way. One neutral have 1 creep. Taverns shouldnt have creeps guarding.

b-Also for this map 4 golden mines are too few. There are 64x64 melee maps that have the same amount of gold mines in your map.

c-The dragon roots are imbalance but thats blizzard fault, the gigant dragon level 10 isnt a good idea for a melee, (2200 hp caos damage,flying unit and imune to spells) The player who doesnt buy it will loose.

d-Because the map is to big you have to walk a lot to reach the market and you wont do that if you will be atacked in any momment, i think a player should have the posibility to access the neutral buildings with a decent distance range so they wont be to much exposed walking

4- Creeps: more bad news, creeps arent well placed: never put creeps to near like you have to rush them like waves, is one creep per building, thats melee standard and there is a reason for that, creeps are for leveling heroes, one creep guarding nothing in one zone and one orange creep guarding a neutral builnding. Creeps guarding goldmines shouldnt be in camp mode, in creeps is recommended to be standard.
if you look the market guarding creeps, the distance between green and orange isnt the same, what i mean is, simetry is a very important thing in melee

5- Drops: green creeps should drop permanent level 1 or books level 1, for drops always is recommended to be standar, i sugest you to copy blizzard droops for green orange and red.

6- Description: it is practice in the description of melee maps to make a list of neutral buildings and creeps so users can have that information.

Overall: i know this is your first melee attempt but i think this map has a lot of work still pending, i really wish you good luck but i highly recommend you to improve your skills and knowledge by studying blizzard melee designs or hive melee approved maps, i hope my review can help you to see what can be improved

see ya

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 30
I'll have to fully agree with abgm, by the looks and testing of the map, there is alot of work and practice.

The blockage idea of beefing up neutral creeps while having a tree wall to border the team players, such system is already broken. Because I can just lumberjack rush my way in the middle and get heavy offense depending on the race I used e.g HM or NE.

Another rush ideas are the team player's location, since both of them are stationed in the middle, the result would be air raids/attack micro. Undead players can get perfect hold for this by quickly reaching tier 2 then gargoyle themselves out, the result would be the enemy players will have hard time gaining control, even if they plan to turtle themselves.

For now, this is a well made map, but not enough to fully extend as an upload. For now you might want to practice in some of our tutorials here in the forum and get some visuals in Blizzard's default melee maps.