• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to create a viable resurrection method in a campaign???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Here's the details of the campaign im making:

A single map of the "whole world" of my story. From that map, there are certain entry points in order for you to take on other specific parts of the world such as dungeons and boss areas. It's an SRPG, and I'm indecisive on how to make a revive option. (similar to dark souls)

How can I make it so that:
1. If i die on the main map, the map reloads itself to resurrect the repeatable enemies and revive on the latest checkpoint
2. If i die on the other maps (which dont have checkpoints), the campaign will load the main map and revive on the latest checkpoint.

Im not that good in cache/campaign information since I usually just made melee maps.

+rep to anyone who helps...

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
My first thought is "not worth it".

Anyway, I think using game cache usually saves the map state when switching maps. I do not remember if this is optional or not.
If is is optional, it is doable.

However, for having checkpoints on your main map, not as easily done. You can save the position of all units, destructables, items, hp, mana etc etc
Firstly, you have to delete everything before restoring in order to not have any duplicates. This will probably lag the fuck out of the game.
Secondly you have to trigger with that in mind. I can not tell you the exact details since it's too complex of a situation.
Thirdly, not everything is saveable, for example cooldowns on spells which can be abused to some extent since suicide would reset your big fancy cds.

As I said, really not worth it IMO.

Level 1
My first thought is "not worth it".

As I said, really not worth it IMO.

Thanks for the insight...I just realised it as well since I tried something similar to my idea haha. Can you suggest a sort of revival option for my map? Or if you die, you die in my campaign? XD (the map is difficult and may prove to be annoying if you'd restart the campaign over and over again)

Level 20
How about using the same system as they did in the Rexarr campaign? You place revival stones at strategic points that the player needs to activate, and if they die, they come back to life at the last stone.

For the "reset" effect, how about healing (possibly reviving?) enemies in a X radius around the hero when they die? I know it's not a perfect solution but I guess you can use it as a starting point.

Status
Not open for further replies.