• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Checkpoint System in Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Hey guys,

How can I make a checkpoint system like the ones in Call of Duty, or some other games who use the same system.

For people who doesn't know how this system works here's an explanation; when you reach a certain point in the game, the game saves some specific units and your stats; such as ammo, health etc...

For a WC3 campaign how can I do this without automatically reloading the game. I just want it to black out for a few seconds and return the player to the checkpoint before the action started.

The problem I see with this is, there may be some cinematics, so this way I might have to spawn everything in the cinematic with codes and then remove everything as soon as the cinematic ends. So that it is repeatable.

Any ideas to help me?

Level 28
Yes, that is possible using variables to store your hero's stats, like for exemple :
  • Checkpoint
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit enters Region01 <gen>
    • Conditions
      • ((Triggering unit) is Un hero) Equal to TRUE
    • Actions
      • Set LifePoints = (Percentage life of Hero X <gen>)
      • Set ManaPoints = (Percentage mana of Hero X <gen>)
and then when your hero for exemple dies you can easly reload :
  • Reload
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit dies
    • Conditions
      • ((Dying unit) is Un hero) Equal to TRUE
    • Actions
      • Wait 2.00 seconds
      • Hero - Instantly revive Paladin 0000 <gen> at (Center of Region02), Show revival graphics
      • Unit - Set life of Paladin 0000 <gen> to LifePoints%
      • Unit - Set mana of Paladin 0000 <gen> to ManaPoints%
I think this is also possible for items too.

Last edited:
Level 19
This seems fair enough but this is the most basics.

What I think will become problematic is the cutscenes/cinematics where I will need to put everything back into place again.

And do you think it'll be a good system? What's your opinion on this? Imagine you're playing the campaign, you failed the objective, instead of a reload/end screen you get a fade out and a few seconds later you're back at your checkpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.