• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How long will Warcraft 3 last?

How long do you think Warcraft 3 will last?

• Forever and ever to the everlasting ever!

Votes: 97 40.9%
  • Maybe 5-15 more years

Votes: 73 30.8%
  • Only a few more years.

Votes: 52 21.9%
  • Until the day after tomorrow.

Votes: 15 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Did you guys ever tried to say that you give pie so that people join?I do it everytime i host a game and people join really fast xD - end of troll sequence

Ok so now, really...I can see that the topic, slided a bit to starcraft...but let's not think about that...Now, to put it as an objective perspective, warcraft 3 is dead...the following reasons are that:
1:It's not a living being
2:The fact that blizzard doesn't wants to give the source code, which was talked about this some pages ago
3:The fact that few people keep buying it
4:Few modding/mapping sites, for example i know only 3
5:The fact that it's hard to make new maps popular

But, it can still be considered alive for the facts that:
1:It is still playable, large masses of people play it, doesn't matters if on Bnet or Garena or if they bought it or not, or if they play dota or not, the mass of players playing it means it is popular
2:pirates won't risk to go to jail for downloading a ,,dead" game xD
3:New maps and mods are comming out, sometimes slowly in some people's eyes but steady
4:It is a game that inspired many other games, so maybe the game dies, but warcraft itself will live forever
5:We come together on warcraft 3 modding sites to chat, and post our work and so on...If warcraft 3 was dead, Hive wouldn't be here, or if it is dying, new people won't join, yet they do

So these are just some arguments which may be true or not...I am not 100% sure, but which i want to demonstrate that warcraft 3 is both dead and alive, depending on the type of people which look down at it...Some say it is dead, some say it is alive

Level 11
Ok can someone here tell me what I am doing wrong?

Install Garena, add wc3, no games in Local Area Network.

I have the latest Warcraft III patch, or do people use older one?

Well, there is the 1.26 patch currently used on garena

And also, you must start wc3 from the big Start Game button from garena but i doubt u didn't tried from there

Or try reinstalling garena...maybe it's a bug

Vunjo

Hosted Project: SC
Level 14
@ The off topic theme:

Garena doesn't need to be installed. You can simply copy paste it from pc (Like I did from my USB). Once you have it, get to garena, join room. You will need to "Set Path" to Warcraft 3. The button is located down, just above start button. Once that is done, push Start Button, LAN, and if you have the latest patch, you should see some games.

Note few things:
Sometimes, the room is "dead" which means, there are no hosts currently active :)
Or, there are not many people in room (I doubt you will find a host in room with 50 people except if it's dota room).

Level 19
Although, Warcraft 3 could still be heavily populated in the future, whether it's by people who play other games more (But play Warcraft III in their spare time), hardcore modders or casual players.
So yeah, I doubt i'll die, and Blizzard would already be planning to release better games so yeah, I'm guessing the population would just be spreading out their time evenly on other games, but not entirely leaving Warcraft III.

PS: Just like how I'm going to continue play Warcraft III while playing Starcraft II and maybe Diablo III.

Level 14
So if you read a book for the tenth time, and you can't discover anything new, it's suddenly a bad book?

No.

First of all I didn't say it's a bad book. It's just a saying about how good a book can be.

I'm not saying LOTR is necesarily bad, it's different. You can't compare LOTR with Agony and Extasy (life of Michelangelo) or with a book about animals, or a book about the history of England. You can't compare because they are different genres.

But for me, I understood LOTR since I was 14. There is nothing about that book except the action, the story and the moral about friendship. I know that LOTR was supposedly based on true characters from real life and for me that's about the most redeeming fact, otherwise... it's just a story, an entertaining story.... but that's it. (Aragorn loves the elf girl, the elf girl loves Aragorn, but they can't be together because she is immortal... but then another human girl who is related to the king of Rohan and who loves Aragorn enters the scene... the plot thickens!)

I mean seriosly, fantasy stories about prophecies and other mumbo jumbo are not entertaining for me anymore. I would rather read a book about Napoleon, who lived, who shaped real history, and who left a legacy... a legacy you can go to, you can see it, you can touch it.

So in this sense yes, for me LOTR is overrated currently and it's ment for children. Yes LOTR is more dark, it's more real (then Warcraft for example) because a lot of the characters and events in LOTR are based of real humans who lived and real events however... but it's where it ends. It's not narrowed view but... the supposed message from LOTR cannot be touched. It's like faith, you have to believe in it blindy, it's not a testament of anything. Where is Sam ? Where is Frodo ? Can I visit the volcano? Can I visit their houses? Their buriel tombs? What they build, where they drank ale.... I don't know in how many ways to put it. For pure entertainment... sure, you can watch it... but it's not necesarily better than a match of Heroes3 with the Computer. You get where I am going with it?

Level 22
So in this sense yes, for me LOTR is overrated currently and it's ment for children.

You can say it as often as you like, but it doesn't change the fact that LotR is not meant for children. The movies are rated PG-13. That's the age when people stop being children and become teens. Opinion has got nothing to do with this.
Even IF LotR was kid friendly, I don't see how that's got anything to do with the quality of the books or movies either. Some of the highest rated movies ever are made by Disney/Pixar and Studio Ghibli.

Yes LOTR is more dark, it's more real (then Warcraft for example) because a lot of the characters and events in LOTR are based of real humans who lived and real events however... but it's where it ends. It's not narrowed view but... the supposed message from LOTR cannot be touched. It's like faith, you have to believe in it blindy, it's not a testament of anything.

Faith in what? The book? The book's message? You must have faith because the story is fictional? I don't get what you mean.

Where is Sam ? Where is Frodo ? Can I visit the volcano? Can I visit their houses? Their buriel tombs? What they build, where they drank ale.... I don't know in how many ways to put it. For pure entertainment... sure, you can watch it... but it's not necesarily better than a match of Heroes3 with the Computer. You get where I am going with it?

Yeah. What you're saying, basically, is that you can't enjoy any fictional book or movie, because you can't visit the characters' houses. :p

Last edited:
Level 14
You can say it as often as you like, but it doesn't change the fact that LotR is not meant for children. The movies are rated PG-13. That's the age when people stop being children and become teens. Opinion has got nothing to do with this.
Even IF LotR was kid friendly, I don't see how that's got anything to do with the quality of the books or movies either. Some of the highest rated movies ever are made by Disney/Pixar and Studio Ghibli.

Faith in what? The book? The book's message? You must have faith because the story is fictional? I don't get what you mean.

Yeah. What you're saying, basically, is that you can't enjoy any fictional book or movie, because you can't visit the characters' houses. :p

I don't know if at 13 we aren't a child anymore or not. Math-wise you are a teen since 10 years old. And it's not about the physical age, is about the mental age. There are people who are 40 years old, but their mind like of an average 12 year old.

As pure entertainment value of a fictive/fantasy story I didn't say LOTR is poor entertainment.

Okay, let's say you got LOTR, takes you one week to read it fully. What's the conclussion? What can you say when you reach the end of the book? Can you say that you have learned anything? Can you say that what you read applies in real life? Is there any real testament that the hobbit (aka David) has defeated his challenge and survived (aka killed Goliath) from this tale?

Because that's one of the morals of the story, that a small being can conquer a larger goal. So if you look at the root of the story, it's value is not better then David vs Goliath.... or of the bear tricked by the fox. However the moral of the story cannot be tested in any way, because the characters didn't exist.

On the other hand, Napoleon existed. He fought the english at a very high scene and lost the war. It was Napoleon's genius against England's money and influence. Napoleon lost. There is no direct moral to be learned from the life of Napoleon, there is only what your mind can comprehend. However, I do not feel that I wasted my time if I read the life about Napoleon, because I can always talk him without any problems to any cultured individual of any age. I can talk about Napoleon with my grandfather, mother, father, brother, nephew, with all of them without ever thinking if it's a problem or not. And if there is something to be learne from the life of Napoleon, there is for example the Obelix in Paris stolen from Egypt. Supposedly Napoleon was the one who broke the nose of the Sphinx.

But with LOTR... I can talk about it on a LOTR forum I guess, and maybe with some people of the same age, but like there is no follow-up to it... just like a match of Warcraft3.

So in this way I see LOTR bad. Because there is absolutely no follow-up afterwards. Unless you yourself want to become a writer.

But otherwise useless.Because you can get entertained by something else and have much more to gain after that action.

Of course, it's also a matter of taste. And although I really liked that book when I was young, I would never recommend it to anyone, unless that person just wants to escape real life.

I don't think I can explain my thought process better. Also I do not care about reviews. A lot of reviews are too subjective and some are even bought with money.

Level 11
I don't know if at 13 we aren't a child anymore or not. Math-wise you are a teen since 10 years old. And it's not about the physical age, is about the mental age. There are people who are 40 years old, but their mind like of an average 12 year old.

As pure entertainment value of a fictive/fantasy story I didn't say LOTR is poor entertainment.

Okay, let's say you got LOTR, takes you one week to read it fully. What's the conclussion? What can you say when you reach the end of the book? Can you say that you have learned anything? Can you say that what you read applies in real life? Is there any real testament that the hobbit (aka David) has defeated his challenge and survived (aka killed Goliath) from this tale?

Because that's one of the morals of the story, that a small being can conquer a larger goal. So if you look at the root of the story, it's value is not better then David vs Goliath.... or of the bear tricked by the fox. However the moral of the story cannot be tested in any way, because the characters didn't exist.

On the other hand, Napoleon existed. He fought the english at a very high scene and lost the war. It was Napoleon's genius against England's money and influence. Napoleon lost. There is no direct moral to be learned from the life of Napoleon, there is only what your mind can comprehend. However, I do not feel that I wasted my time if I read the life about Napoleon, because I can always talk him without any problems to any cultured individual of any age. I can talk about Napoleon with my grandfather, mother, father, brother, nephew, with all of them without ever thinking if it's a problem or not. And if there is something to be learne from the life of Napoleon, there is for example the Obelix in Paris stolen from Egypt. Supposedly Napoleon was the one who broke the nose of the Sphinx.

But with LOTR... I can talk about it on a LOTR forum I guess, and maybe with some people of the same age, but like there is no follow-up to it... just like a match of Warcraft3.

So in this way I see LOTR bad. Because there is absolutely no follow-up afterwards. Unless you yourself want to become a writer.

But otherwise useless.Because you can get entertained by something else and have much more to gain after that action.

Of course, it's also a matter of taste. And although I really liked that book when I was young, I would never recommend it to anyone, unless that person just wants to escape real life.

I don't think I can explain my thought process better. Also I do not care about reviews. A lot of reviews are too subjective and some are even bought with money.

Does something that you read in a book really has to apply in the real life?

Other than that...i think we are pretty going offtopic now xD

Level 14
Does something that you read in a book really has to apply in the real life?

Other than that...i think we are pretty going offtopic now xD

That's what I'm saying. As entertainment... no. As real value... yes. Because time doesn't go back on you. :pir:

Don't worry, someone should pop-up and say that Warcraft will live on forever sometime in the next few minutes :p

Level 9
Edhel-dur... no offence but... are you saying that a moral is something meant to make us look for proof of it? As far as i know... the moral is a teaching which is meant to help us in our life... and the proof for it is something you make yourself, if you believe in it... than you try it yourself. If it works out... it's true, if not... it's false.

Level 2
Hello,

To answer the original question, I think Warcraft will remain populated forever, like any other game always has someone to play it.

It's a pity, though, that BNet is a dying breed.

Level 6
I'm playing warcraft 3 since i was 12..and i practically grew up with it and WE of course :D
It would be cool to see warcraft on the scene forever but i doubt that will happen, so i estimate it for couple more years to come.

Level 14
I'm playing warcraft 3 since i was 12..and i practically grew up with it and WE of course :D
It would be cool to see warcraft on the scene forever but i doubt that will happen, so i estimate it for couple more years to come.

Why bump this thread lol...

Level 13
It will be around as long as ppl continue to make better games for wc3 than sc2 or whatever else have you.. :)

Also I make bots that connect every bnet realm together as well as other servers like eurobattle and Ombuserver and europe.warcraft3.eu and rubattle.net etc.. This brings 1000's of people from all different servers together as one which makes games fill faster and keeps wc3 alive :D

Level 8
Is this game still worth making a map with for someone who wants there map to become popular and get noticed? (i.e. possibly the next dota or similar) Because I'm considering moving my current map project to starcraft II, due to the vast number of players. But I'm really not sure because I love warcraft and it'll take a while to learn the scII editor.

Level 9
In my opinion... still trying to make a map here for W3 isn't a bad idea... in the next 5-10 years there are still chances for many maps to become popular and maybe who knows... they could even bring more players back to W3. But also getting started in the SC2 modding isn't bad, you could try both if you have the time.

Level 14
@NightElf125
If you are serious and want to make something really popular and advance yourself in this domain, maybe you should do it in SC2. SC2 is the future really.

If you want to do it as a hobby, than stick to Wc3 if you like it more.

Level 8
@NightElf125
If you are serious and want to make something really popular and advance yourself in this domain, maybe you should do it in SC2. SC2 is the future really.

If you want to do it as a hobby, than stick to Wc3 if you like it more.

You make a good point, however I agree with the above posters too that WC3 is still worth developing for seriously, and will remain popular for a while to come. But I think in the future I will work on Starcraft II as well; after my map has been out for a while. I still see room for lots of great maps in WC3 and I want to help WC3 in this regard, and extend its life. :)

Vunjo

Hosted Project: SC
Level 14
@NightElf125 and Edhel-dur

If you are making a map for a hobby, then stick to warcraft 3.
If you are making a map so it can be popular, make a naruto AoS shit-like map and get infinite thumbs up.

In both cases you should stick to wc3 :p

Level 19
Warcraft III will definitely still fit the scene, even as an old game it's getting pretty much more players in it than most others.

Plus, I know of a few places where Warcraft III is still a major E.Sport

Level 4
Well, I still play SC:Brood War on Bnet, plenty of games still going on there despite SC2 being out. I highly doubt WC3 will die anytime soon.

Personally, I like WC3 and prefer it and Brood War over SC2.

Level 18
If seen the population on wc3 shrink a lot if played the game now for 6-7 years and when you i look back at 7 years ago regarding the population on wc3 it used to be very active but now its just a small pit full of idiotic people who maphack/drophack/spam/anoy and their are only a few who are normal but those are usually the ones who played the game for years. Point is the game is dying.

Level 16
If the fans die, the game dies, it's as simple as that but the game will probably last a few more years or who knows, it's hard to tell.
For me, playing and editing wc3 for as long as I can remember, it is a great thing even though it has weak graphics, as I am too lazy to learn the use of newer game engines.

Level 18
When i look at every game and each mapmaker it contains wc3 is still the best and most advanced on the moment or atleast it is in my opinion. Its just sad that the population regarding Battle.net is dying since it demotivates mapmakers to make maps and that might not count for all of us but i know it does for a few.

Level 14
When i look at every game and each mapmaker it contains wc3 is still the best and most advanced on the moment or atleast it is in my opinion. Its just sad that the population regarding Battle.net is dying since it demotivates mapmakers to make maps and that might not count for all of us but i know it does for a few.

If you were talking about moding, I think Sims3 moding is above Wc3 moding.

Level 19
Although I doubt Warcraft III would die anytime soon, considering that I still see many players playing custom maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.