• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive Project: Warcraft 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 50
What would happen if Hive resource makers would join forces and create Warcraft 4 inside of Warcraft 3 as official Hive project? Many fan versions of anticipated new chapter in Warcraft RTS has been made so far, however none managed to satisfy the expectations.

What if Hive, as biggest gathering of wc3 modders, would organize forum official project of creating high quality fan made vision of Warcraft 4? Some members would take care of story line, some would do music, some models, triggers etc. In the end there would be around 10 missions made for each race. What do you think, is it too late for something like this or is it something that Hive could manage to accomplish?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Warcraft 3? Lol no.

I can help you with the engine in 5 years.

Level 32
This? Game GTA San Andreas, GTA SA, San Andreas: cars, mods, weapons and skins
Isn't 90% of that site just simple car / vehicle reskins? Heck, there isn't even a forum and the first page of the mods section adds up to 2 comments. Granted the quantity of produced models / skins is undoubtly amazing, but I don't know why you're comparing Hive to the GTA modding community in bad light, again. You did this on your other thread, but you never provided specifics that we can learn from. What you said before in the clan wars thread is "this works in the GTA community, so that's why Hive needs to get up and do this."

I suggested you post your idea you shared to me Site Discussion because I like the idea despite me having little confidence in it. Yes, it's unfortunate that people don't think we could / should pull it off but I don't see the value in your GTA argument if none of us know how you're supporting it.

Last edited:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
It's on staff to reform or not reform community.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

It would be fun to work on. There are some common pitfalls though: modeling and over-ambition. For modeling, it is kinda straightforward--a lot of people have different styles, and modeling is pretty ambitious in general.

As for over-ambition, a lot of the wc4 mods that ended up falling apart tried to do too much in one thing. If the project were less ambitious in the modeling side and revamping side, and more reminiscent of original wc3 (similar to tomoraider's campaigns), it could definitely turn out nice. :)

This kind of project needs a lot of leadership, though. As Shar said, it might be better if someone started a thread, gathered some folks to work on it, and built enough to get the first mission done. If it is good enough, it could become a hosted thing. ;)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
The realist/pessimist in me believes that this would never work; too ambitious, too ambiguous, too big, too many conflicting minds (all working for their own agenda rather than reined in by a paycheck)...

The optimist in believes that the boundless talent & wealth of already-existing resources, along with the combined anticipation & creativity of the hundreds of active users, could all be marshaled to create something cool.

~~~

I have made it a goal to research & archive old dead projects; the fruits of which you can see in my signature. I will echo Purgeandfire in saying that one of the biggest issues with big total conversions & other mods like this is 'ambition'. Trying to do too much, or be too big. In particular, artistically doing too much; artists tend to be the least able to put out (at least as quickly as coders or just designers), can be fickle, and their work is the most argued-upon.

Another big part of this 'leadership'. Running a million polls & having years of argumentative debate & discussion simply won't cut it (as much as I love the latter xD) in order to get something done. Who do you think would be best suited to leadership, and in what capacities? Would you personally (and us globally) be willing to subjugate our goals & desires for this project, merely working on what was told?

(A sidestep to that issue, and a possible alternative is this: make the "big Hive project" be a big 'combination' of stuff. Consider that over the years, we have had oodles of modders making oodles of things; there are still some big 'holes' to fill, but we have, like, a dozen blood elf races, a buncha demons, lots of other races... Tons of tools, thousands of snippets/spells/systems... Bunches of terrains & playable maps, dozens of doodads & such... If we merely could decide on a set of "unifying principles", everyone could take their existing stuff and, with some modification, make it work to be directly inserted into the "mod as a whole". Creators of new stuff would just have to align with those principles & their stuff could be easily inserted as well.)

For my part, the Jungle Trolls will be done soon whenever I can. : )

Murlocologist said:
... GTA modding...
I'm actually quite curious about this. What's all going on in that sector, modding-wise? What kind of things are going on? What sites does one frequent to find the most modding activity?

Murlocologist said:
...It's on staff to reform or not reform community....
Recent experience has taught me that this is not really the case. If we want reform we have to start discussing it ourselves & with the administration.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
A project lead by this many people is destined to fail. To make a project succeed requires one or very few people with the same vision who rule the project and then people who want to help out. The first people must stay until the project finishes, but workers can come and go. That would be the way to succeed.
Keep in mind, most projects, if lasting long enough, usually end up unfinished and abandoned. A Hive Warcraft 4 project is a veeery big project. I would say the success rate is 0.5% and if we have any success, our future lies in a courtroom with Blizzard on the other end.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

our future lies in a courtroom with Blizzard on the other end.
I'm open to new experiences.

To make a project succeed requires one or very few people with the same vision who rule the project and then people who want to help out.
It'd take a person who's mature, passionate, persistent/stubborn, unoccupied, diplomatic, mentally stable, etc. Wait... that's no one here </thread>

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] I would say the success rate is 0.5% and if we have any success, our future lies in a courtroom with Blizzard on the other end.
THW would simply receive a cease and desist letter.

This is what killed Infoceptor's TC btw. But honestly, naming a TC 'Warcraft 3' a few years before Blizzard officially released WC3 in 2002, was kinda dumb imho.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Naming it 'Warcraft Forever' might not be a good idea too. :grin:
Yeah, but what about "Warcraft Fourever". Eh? Eh???

It's enough to say books been made about it. One mod even caused federal action. You can look it up on wikipedia too. Modding in Grand Theft Auto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, gta modding is very respectable. Many gta modders take it personally to create fascinating creations and it is all wrapped up with great amount of gaming media attention. Personally my favorite is mod which dramatically enhances graphics in-game.
I'm not sure that's 'enough to say' just barely whets the whistle. But oh well.

So you answered a few of my questions but skipped one; where does one go? What's the major site(s) for GTA modding? Specifically, where did you go (you mentioned being involved with that)?

This is what killed Infoceptor's TC btw. But honestly, naming a TC 'Warcraft 3' a few years before Blizzard officially released WC3 in 2002, was kinda dumb imho.
So wait, is that 'Infoceptor' as in the Infoceptor? Who wrote that great "making a race" guide here on the Hive? Anchor avatar?

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Yeah, but what about "Warcraft Fourever". Eh? Eh???
rotfl, good one.
I was merely referring to the somewhat ill-fated Duke Nukem Forever.

So wait, is that 'Infoceptor' as in the Infoceptor? Who wrote that great "making a race" guide here on the Hive? Anchor avatar?
I am referring to the now defunct www.infoceptor.net

Blast from the past:
infoceptor : starcraft / warcraft / diablo (TC main page)
The Infoceptor- Warcraft 3 Conversion! (TC dl page)
The Infoceptor- Warcraft 3 Conversion! (maps dl page)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I am referring to the now defunct www.infoceptor.net

Blast from the past:
infoceptor : starcraft / warcraft / diablo (TC main page)
The Infoceptor- Warcraft 3 Conversion! (TC dl page)
The Infoceptor- Warcraft 3 Conversion! (maps dl page)
Oh geez! Whatta blast from the past!! I had completely forgotten about that site; yet I spent a good deal of time browsing there!

Man, they have all kinds of cool beta information & mods & stuff. Criminy, it's a shame it's dead. *doffs hat*.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
There'd be no legal issue if it were made inside of WC3, but unfortunately what a lot of people have said is pretty true.

Back in the day, we did have some cross-site mapping success, though: we and the others over at WC3C managed to make a pretty nifty AoS.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
did you guys even hurd about heroes 3.5 wog?
Or:
Heroes Community - [Official Thread] Heroes of might and magic III: Horn of the Abyss
http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=41303

Warcraft IV can't be a modification of Warcraft III in the real sense. If it is, then it's what DracoL1ch suggested: Warcraft III.V
Although the notion would be a save of Warcraft in terms of RTS, I doubt Activision would endorse it without them having to profit.
It would be better if they could just use the SCII/HotStorm engine instead.

Level 19
Or:
Heroes Community - [Official Thread] Heroes of might and magic III: Horn of the Abyss
Heroes Community - [MOD] Might & Magic: Heroes 5.5

Warcraft IV can't be a modification of Warcraft III in the real sense. If it is, then it's what DracoL1ch suggested: Warcraft III.V
Although the notion would be a save of Warcraft in terms of RTS, I doubt Activision would endorse it without them having to profit.
It would be better if they could just use the SCII/HotStorm engine instead.
who ever needs their permission? like heroes 3 weren't protected by eula and shit. fans just make it worthy to work with.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
who ever needs their permission? like heroes 3 weren't protected by eula and shit. fans just make it worthy to work with.
Well, those HoM&M fans mostly kept the original game/engine. If fans would actually make a Warcraft IV, then Blizzard/Activision would not be happy about it. Maybe, they have that plan or something and interfering with their marketing strategies won't make them any more philanthropic.

By the way, there's also:
Official WarCraft IV Discussion

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.