• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #7 - Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 30
Here's about an hour more of work than last time. The third spell is revealed.

R6mAbvk.jpg
Blessed Ranger: The Blessed Ranger is thematically a kind
of ranged cleric; she is a battle hero with inherent supportive
abilities, especially related to healing allies.

In implementation, the blessed ranger is actually a very
combat-centric hero, and her ability to heal her allies is heavily
reliant on her ability to stick to enemy heroes and lay down
damage. Featuring agility as a primary stat, abilities that boost
attack rate and damage, and a reset mechanic, the Blessed
Ranger is set to provide a high-action, micro-heavy play-style.
vCXJBhJ.jpg
Arcane Arrows: When activated, the next basic attack deals
5/10/15 + 2/2.5/3% of the target's maximum health bonus
damage. If the target is a hero, another arcane arrow is
immediately readied, and the Blessed Archer restores 15/20/25
mana.

Lasts 7 seconds.
AdMa6iP.jpg
Forrestwalk: Passively grants 8/10/12 bonus agility while
within 500 of a live tree. Additionally, Forrestwalk provides
vision over trees and cliffs.
s9EKiug.png
Holy Sigil: For 6/7/8 seconds, the target allied non-hero unit
is marked with a holy sigil. When the Blessed Ranger deals
damage, marked units within 1000 of her are healed for
50/60/70% of the damage dealt.
PzVCQc0.jpg
Pure Dexterity: Description not yet revealed
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]

You should be getting a feel now for why I described Blessed Ranger as I did. Her ability to support her team depends on her ability to act like a duelist.

Attachments

• THW.HC7.BlessedRanger.w3x
    194.2 KB · Views: 70
Wish you well with that too.

Anyways, final concept (probably)

Dark Sorcerer

Implo[d]e
Deals 40/80/120 damage in a small area and raises a Deathwalker/Greater/Dire from each corpse for 7 seconds.

Da[r]kstorm
Sends three skulls towards the target point, each arriving 0.5 seconds after the previous and dealing 40/60/80 damage.

Soulshado[w]
Every 5 seconds, an attack slows its target by 25/30/35% for 2.5 seconds and reduces its armor by 3/4/5.

Shadow Ascen[t]
Calls forth a shade that deals 350 damage over 2 seconds to nearby enemies while slowing them by 50%. The last tick deals 100 additional damage.

I'd post the map but the ult still bugs. >.<

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 30
Another couple hours of work: I've implemented the ultimate ability

R6mAbvk.jpg

vCXJBhJ.jpg
mana.

Lasts 7 seconds.
AdMa6iP.jpg
s9EKiug.png
Ui8kste.png
Sigil of Dexterity: The Blessed Ranger concentrates her
arcane energy, doubling her attack speed for 10 seconds.
During this time, the Blessed Ranger's basic movement orders
dash to the targeted point (1000 range max).
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]

That's all of her abilities implemented. I'll try and find some time tomorrow or tonight to do the vfx and sfx.

Level 4
I just realized this contest ends in 4 days. I'm going to do my best to finish it tonight, and submit asap, because I won't have time during the week.

Wish me luck!

It does?! Well, shoot. At least I still don't have a job, so the only thing I'll be stealing time from to cram this thing out is the job hunt. For better or worse.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
A super MS increase in a small area feels like it could work; in particular it would compensate a lot for Footman Defend reducing movement speed, if you're using it against a ranged force. A super MS decrease seems like it would be too powerful: disabling your opponents (and possibly a couple of nearby allies) is generally a lot more powerful than slightly enabling your allies (and possibly some enemies): Haste runes and scrolls are reasonably commonplace and anyone can use them, but Earthquake is an amazing ultimate and the structure damage is NOT the main feature.

I'm more worried about the "does AoE damage" ultimate: the pseudo-Forked Lightning and the pseudo-Thorns shield feels like a lot of direct magic damage already, and flat damage can actually be more threatening than Death and Decay against a large number of weaker troops (e.g. Archers).
I suppose you would know best. I had not considered it that way (especially that bit about Earthquake; seriously? Is it all that? I don't know if I've ever noticed that).

If you're worried about "too much (AoE) damage", fortunately your chosen Hero theme allows you plenty of leeway. Blizzard's approach to Arcane has always appealed to me in it's wide range; pretty much anything-ever goes. Turning things into things, Levitating (PM me), magical snowballs, enslaved creatures, glowing runes, magic missiles... You could incorporate a bit of "D&D" flavor and utilize some weird named ability (in name or function); 'Bigby's Crushing/Forceful/Grasping/Interposing Hand", "Tenser's Floating Disc/Transformation", "Leomund's Secure Shelter", "Otto's Irresistible Dance", "Tasha's Hideous Laughter", etc...

Kinda like Direfury's Arcanist (sorry to draw unnecessary comparisons), you have plenty of options when it comes to "reasonably-generic magic-user" for non-damaging "magical spells". Battlefield manipulation FTW!

Guys, don't you think it's quite awkward? How about removing it so that we have round total score of 50 points?

I agree, imo it is already covered with Theme, Role and Creativity.
While I too was hoping for a nice even number, I really like giving the option to Judges to have some 'subjective "elbow room" ' in their judging. Ostensibly Theme & Role are really supposed to be very straightforward and as objective as possible (Creativity admits for some subjectivity, but see below).

Basically look at it this way. Each Criteria should, ideally, be able to 'stand on it's own', or be 'separable' from each of the others (within reason) (this has some basis in formal logic (which I'm studying now, so bear with me)).
  • Starting with the baseline foundation of "Theme" and "Role" being the most basic elements of "good Hero design" (which is the point of the Contest), we consider a Hero can have "good Theme/bad Role" or "bad Theme/good Role", so those are fine.
  • Then we look at Creativity; can a Hero have "good Theme/good Role" and still be un-Creative? I'd say 'Yes' (for example, re-creating one of the well-balanced, fun & aesthetically-ideal standard in-game Heroes that Blizzard made (e.g. Paladin, Crypt Lord, et)), so we need "Creativity".
  • Then we look at Balance; can a Hero have "good Theme/good Role/good Creativity" and still be im-Balanced? I'd say 'Definitely'; it's easy to imagine a poorly-balanced Hero (either over- or under-powered) that fulfills all the other requirements.
  • Then we look at Coding... This was thrown in primarily to avoid having 2 separate sets of Criteria. However, it makes sense that, though primarily a "Design" Contest, the Hero Contests are also, somewhat, a Coding Contest. And you can have a Hero with good Theme, good Role, good Creativity & Balance, but bad Coding, so see above.
  • Finally we come to "Awesomeness". Can all the above be done & still result in an un-Awexome hero? Well... Yes and no. Ostensibly, part of it's "awexomeness" is present in the fact that it did fulfill all the above. Moreover, the "Creativity" does (as you pointed out) have some relation here; a really "Creative" idea is generally thusly considered "Awexome". However, an idea can be "creative but not awexome"... Moreover, this serves as sort of the "tie-breaker" category. If two ideas are about equal in terms of all the other Criteria, this allows a judge to inject a little subjectivity into the vote & say, essentially "I really like this one" or "I thought this one was the best". Part of it's presence is to be that little 'nudge' rather than a true 'Criteria contender' in terms of "power" in the judging; that's part of why it has such a tiny score (5).

Anyway, those were my thoughts in designing the Criteria. Cosmicat made a good point; remember that this has been up & available for discussion for quite some time now (months?) so while it would've been great to talk about this earlier, I'd prefer to stick to what we have & see what comes of it (unless, of course, it can be demonstrably proved that something in the Rules or Criteria is simply broken).

Probably, extend all of the scores range to 20 is also better. So we have round max score of 100 and judges can give more precise scoring on each category.
Cosmicat said:
I'm not convinced having more scoring options causes judges to give more precise scores, but this was worth debating weeks ago. :grin:
Well, I think 10 is enough; decimals are usable anyways.
10 is plenty enough for precision scoring. Imagine an imaginary number line with 0 being the worst & 10 being the best; 5 provides a perfect average ("equally good & bad"/"meh"/"undecided"), with 4 levels of gradation in between either side ("good/bad", "very good/bad", "better/worse", "very better/worse" (lol)). And that's not enough?

Dalvengyr said:
You better go quick. Don't forget this: at last you will always need to balance your hero which probably takes several times. You need to actually take your Hero into some real melee map battles to make sure your Hero fits nicely and is not overpowered or even retardpowered.
An excellent point, and one that has cost me a few Contests in the past (actually, pretty much every Contest, now that I think about it :<...)

This is how my supposed final entry's concept went;

Blade Mistress (Watcher Model)

E: I am going to do a last minute entry (a more simple one, at that), but I might go for judging if I do not make it in time.
Necromaster (Living Kel)
Sounds cool... Dude, at this point your best bet is just pick something (simple?) and run with it. Doesn't need to be crazy-advanced.

//Is it okay if countdown loop triggers do not use 0.03? (Just for removing a buff)
Any point deductions with temp variables being array? If they have an 's' at the end.
That's entirely up to the judges. Is it a bad thing? Then probably.

I just realized this contest ends in 4 days. I'm going to do my best to finish it tonight, and submit asap, because I won't have time during the week.

Wish me luck!
Yeah, I noticed that, too (much to my horror). I better get cracking (though for some reason I can't get the simplest things to work...)

It does?! Well, shoot. At least I still don't have a job, so the only thing I'll be stealing time from to cram this thing out is the job hunt. For better or worse.
Of course it's a good thing. :p

Oh, for the judges betterment I'd like to say that my hero was made with the idea of a cross between the Death Knight and Demon Hunter (i.e. fast moving hero killer).

This is just how imagined all his skills would be used. Banner of the Alliance cast first to reduce enemy damage, Rally cast on troops as well as Power Strike on the enemy hero to reduce armour and to allow your now more speedy troops to bring down their health and then as they try to run use the Grand Marshall's charge to quickly catch up and kill them.

The unique part of my hero comes in that his abilties are not all designed for 1v1 Hero killing since Rally affects allied units and Banner of the Alliance is an enemy aoe debuff. Unlike the DH and DK.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 30
This is my final entry. I will send a pastebin version to kybri0 (not sure why) shortly.

R6mAbvk.jpg

vCXJBhJ.jpg
mana.

Lasts 7 seconds.
AdMa6iP.jpg
s9EKiug.png
Ui8kste.png
Sigil of Dexterity: The Blessed Ranger concentrates her
arcane energy, doubling her attack speed for 10 seconds.
During this time, the Blessed Ranger's basic movement orders
dash to the targeted point (1000 range max).
[TD]
[TD]
[TD]

Changes include visual effects and code documentation

Attachments

• THW.HC7.BlessedRanger.w3x
    217 KB · Views: 40

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Have a few things to respond to, but first:

How many people would like an extension? Usually we avoid giving those out unnecessarily, but I know I could use it, too... However, as Host I don't want to make a decision solely for my benefit (conflict of interest & all that). So if there are a number of other people interested in an extension, I think it would be fair to grant it.

Thoughts? Mini-vote in the comments below :D

How many people would like an extension? Usually we avoid giving those out unnecessarily, but I know I could use it, too... However, as Host I don't want to make a decision solely for my benefit (conflict of interest & all that). So if there are a number of other people interested in an extension, I think it would be fair to grant it.

Say no more, I vote for an extension. :)

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 34

Another extension?????
Next time I hope you guys will learn how to be on time.

I won't be an asshole so I will just agree with. Basically, this is not a voting, anybody who is dare enough to say "no" will be hated. Am I wrong? :ogre_kawaii:

Kazeon

Level 34
I vote no.
Okay, I will vote for a "no" too then.

I was just affraid same thing happens just like in the last mapping contest, I got some bitchslaps there >.> (It's just for-kidding word)

Well, you should try not to be a pampered-kid, try to manage your time to fulfill your needs. I believe 1 month was more than enough, and I believe, some of you, who haven't finished your entries, have more time wasted than working on your entry. Just for comparison, I started to work on my entry ~5 days after the starting date. I know that after 20th of September I'm going to be busy because it's nearby the midterm exams. So I was trying to concentrate on my entry on the early weeks, and finally, it's done quite early. Not to be arrogant, but it just shows that the duration is just more than enough.

Kazeon

Level 34
Well, you should try not to be a pampered-kid, try to manage your time to fulfill your needs. I believe 1 month was more than enough, and I believe, some of you, who haven't finished your entries, have more time wasted than working on your entry. Just for comparison, I started to work on my entry ~5 days after the starting date. I know that after 20th of September I'm going to be busy because it's nearby the midterm exams. So I was trying to concentrate on my entry on the early weeks, and finally, it's done quite early. Not to be arrogant, but it just shows that the duration is just more than enough.
Read. I was not being selfish, it's the fact that the time is more than enough. It's your fault if you can't manage your time, don't say you are too busy. Yeah perhaps you are quite busy, but it's impossible if you are busy 24/7/30. If you are indeed that busy, so probably you should consider not to join this contest from the first place.

Read. I was not being selfish, it's the fact that the time is more than enough. It's your fault if you can't manage your time, don't say you are too busy. Yeah perhaps you are quite busy, but it's impossible if you are busy 24/7/30. If you are indeed that busy, so probably you should consider not to join this contest from the first place.

I am not that busy, but my schedule has changed since school started. I just need a couple more days to fully balance it.

Welp, I changed concepts around 9 times. :/

This latest concept theme and skill set escaped me until 9/26.

WIP. Apparently there is a bug in the Scenario description, the map still has its old name. Also, can't edit the Gameplay Constants. If I do, something bugged in my MPQ sets most values to 0. (like gold mine ownership, max amount, creep return range, etc.)

Commands:

-debug (calls most needed hero test cheats and enables -cd and -lvl)
-ds (summons a level 6 Dark Sorcerer at start loc)
-cd (disables cooldowns for hero)
-lvlxx (x is integer amount, can be negative)

Attachments

• Bug.png
    Bug.png
    800.5 KB · Views: 104
  • THW.HC7.Mythic.w3x
    192.8 KB · Views: 37

Kazeon

Level 34
Welp, I changed concepts around 9 times. :/

This latest concept theme and skill set escaped me until 9/26.
Before you work on another concept, you should consider the time-left to work on it. I was planning to change my concept too when it was still ~9/15. But then I think the time is not enough, then I just cancelled it even actually, the new concept is much better.

Yeah, I only planned to change my concept once, and it's failed. And you? 9 times? :goblin_boom:

204280-albums7652-picture89691.png

Here is my supposedly - final entry:
Download

There may be bugs and balance issues still left, I will test them out tomorrow just for correction. If- the extension is available.
Have fun, single player has Computer AI made for the custom hero. To test out the hero type in "-Test", it will spawn a level 1 Goblin Sapper hero. To add XP press the ESC key.

Credits: A Void, Blizzard Entertainment.

Attachments

• THW.HC7.A Void.w3x
    180.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited by a moderator:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
~EXTENSION~
Well, so far we've got:
  • 5 For (Almia, Mythic, A Void, Dat-C3, gorillabull)
  • 3 Against (Direfury, Dalvengyr, Cokemonkey11)
That doesn't include me, so far. I suppose I didn't put an upper limit to how long we'd be "voting"... Any other thoughts?

Also, guys, please don't stoop to A Void's insults; you're better than that. While I could personally benefit from & see reason for an extension, there are very valid reasons as to why we should not have one.

Mythic, unfortunately what you suggest would be editing an icon & creating a new resource, rather than a non-material modification of the old, so no.

However, the icons should be the least of your worries at this point... :p

Here is my supposedly - final entry:
Download

There may be bugs and balance issues still left, I will test them out tomorrow just for correction. If- the extension is available.
Have fun, single player has Computer AI made for the custom hero. To test out the hero type in "-Test", it will spawn a level 1 Goblin Sapper hero. To add XP press the ESC key.

Credits: A Void, Blizzard Entertainment.
That's a nice presentation-post, A Void... But please don't forget to PM me a link to a Pastebin containing all that information (& the correctly-labelled map).

Last edited:
~EXTENSION~
Well, so far we've got:
  • 4 For (Almia, Mythic, A Void, Dat-C3)
  • 3 Against (Direfury, Dalvengyr, Cokemonkey11)
That doesn't include me, so far. I suppose I didn't put an upper limit to how long we'd be "voting"... Any other thoughts?

Also, guys, please don't stoop to A Void's insults; you're better than that. While I could personally benefit from & see reason for an extension, there are very valid reasons as to why we should not have one.

Mythic, unfortunately what you suggest would be editing an icon & creating a new resource, rather than a non-material modification of the old, so no.

However, the icons should be the least of your worries at this point... :p

That's a nice presentation-post, A Void... But please don't forget to PM me a link to a Pastebin containing all that information (& the correctly-labelled map).

I already sent you a PM. I think everything should be properly labeled now.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
~ONE DAY REMAINING~ (technically 1 Day & 8 hrs my time (6 hrs site-time?))

~~~

This is my final entry i guess the skill and cheat must be written though still i dont have time today so its my WIP without written cheat
Type Shadow (case sensitive) to activate cheat.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/t00zkq/_files/THW.HC7.angkysaputra.w3x

Final Entry
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=91vie6
Sorry, can't provide further details. bai (srsly)
No problem... But please, remember to actually PM me a Link to the Pastebin, not simply the file itself (this way the Host can determine the validity of the time-stamp). Also I'd like the Hero name (just my personal whim :p).

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
ok then im out delete my entry ;//
Don't give up quite yet. You still have a full day... But more importantly, unless some more people vote 'no' it looks like we'll be getting at least a bit of an extension.

I wanna enter the contest! Am I too late? If not, my idea is a Marksman for the Alliance.
Also, here is a WIP if that would help! :)
Nope, see above (though you'll have to work hard). Also, please make sure to read & follow all the Rules; otherwise you're good. : )

//EDIT// - In personal news, I finally managed to figure out what was wrong with a couple of my dummy spells... So I think (hope) I'll be able to pull this off. Wish me luck tonight. xD

Level 4
Don't give up quite yet. You still have a full day... But more importantly, unless some more people vote 'no' it looks like we'll be getting at least a bit of an extension.

As much as more entries is always "nice", I question why this is up for vote (or even debate).

There's been considerably more going on in the last couple of days than I had planned for, so I'm still way behind, but with luck I'll have screenshots here by the 'morrow, and a Pastebin link shortly thereafter. (I won't have tested for balance, but whatever.)

Level 5
~ONE DAY REMAINING~ (technically 1 Day & 8 hrs my time (6 hrs site-time?))

~~~

No problem... But please, remember to actually PM me a Link to the Pastebin, not simply the file itself (this way the Host can determine the validity of the time-stamp). Also I'd like the Hero name (just my personal whim :p).

ok i think its already over, its 1 october already in my time area, ill fix it a bit then give you a link to my final entry. Consider my latest post a WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.