• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Heavy Bandit

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Its a Bandit... WITH BETTER ARMOR! yeah yeah its an old project by Me... But now I fixed it. :D
And now with the request of the people I have improved it !!!
Previews
Contents

Heavy Bandit (Model)

Portrait (Model)

Reviews
JesusHipster
You don't need custom textures for this. Can't see right now what exactly you used it for. But if it's about the shoulderpad you could just use modulate filtration with standard texture. Also fix the glitch with it in his portrait. Set to needs fix...
HappyCockroach
Well, all the issues JesusHipster mentioned remain present. Did you change the model upon update? The use of a custom texture here is unjustified. A waste of KB. The skull bracer has a bit too much contrast to fit the rest. You have better skull...

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I really like this concept; fleshing out sub-races (i.e. Bandits) is always a good thing in my opinion. I also really like the way you've chosen a different head & done the "Zul'jin-scarf" thing; noice.

While I don't love the hammer (just, like, why a hammer?), it does scream "Heavy", and it's whatever. However, the big Akama pauldron has just got to be reworked... The color scheme actually seems to fit, actually, but it's floating awkwardly in the air above his actual TC shoulder, and just sorta hangs there. It's also rather tall.

Level 34
It's a cool little model. He does look heavier indeed. Right now needs a proper working portrait and a fix in decay animation. Try to enhance it a bit further from the standard bandit because right now it falls under a "substandard" category. Maybe try to change his weapon and shield and make that shoulderpad team-colored (and two-sided).

Level 3
What I want to do is something like the space marines of Warhammer 40k Dawn of War. AND THE AKAMA PAULDRONS ARE IN THE AIR IN THE ORIGINAL MODEL!!!
I really like this concept; fleshing out sub-races (i.e. Bandits) is always a good thing in my opinion. I also really like the way you've chosen a different head & done the "Zul'jin-scarf" thing; noice.

While I don't love the hammer (just, like, why a hammer?), it does scream "Heavy", and it's whatever. However, the big Akama pauldron has just got to be reworked... The color scheme actually seems to fit, actually, but it's floating awkwardly in the air above his actual TC shoulder, and just sorta hangs there. It's also rather tall.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I liked the hammer slightly better... But I really liked the other suggestion, the Faceless One spiked mace. That, or a heavy cudgel/maul seems like a fitting weapon for a bandit.

It's definitely better now. I'm not a massive fan of the dragon-skull pauldron on a lowly bandit, personally, but it's definitely 'heavy'. The modded Akama pauldron's TC is nice (though you can see through it at some angles?... Might just be a viewer error).

Good to see modelers improving their works.

Level 10
shoulders are lill over-sized
It is a heavy bandit after all.
A young little bandit, dressed in the style of Warcraft 3's bandits, the skull part of the shoulders doesn't fit it though,
The mask was a nice addition, as well as that part of the shoulder where it looks like Akama's.
Looking at it at the model viewer here shows that it's a little see-through and when the decay bone animation is played, the shoulders, head, and sword are seen floating. I might change this comment once I see it in game.
The sword is nice enough, base model was a perfect choice for this.
Pretty Good model for me :thumbs_up:

It is a heavy bandit after all.
A young little bandit, dressed in the style of Warcraft 3's bandits, the skull part of the shoulders doesn't fit it though,
The mask was a nice addition, as well as that part of the shoulder where it looks like Akama's.
Looking at it at the model viewer here shows that it's a little see-through and when the decay bone animation is played, the shoulders, head, and sword are seen floating. I might change this comment once I see it in game.
The sword is nice enough, base model was a perfect choice for this.
Pretty Good model for me :thumbs_up:

hm.. did you notice how the back of the skull an the back of the pauldron keep rubbing into the guy's skull? granted, its not exactly clipping, but the model would look much better if there was some space in between, and that can be if either the skull/pauldrons are shrunk a little, or moved away from the head, so they stop having the guy's head in a press.

Level 10
Yes, like I can notice the original shoulders still visible.
Is it just me, or is this file size too much?
And can't it be done with in-game textures?

More Comment
The portrait could go lower, and the neck seems to be floating when I see it talk, nothing big really, good news is that
I said:
when the decay bone animation is played, the shoulders, head, and sword are seen floating.
isn't happening in game.

Last edited:
Level 7
Yes, but for this model, I tried importing it, it worked, didn't import it, it didn't work, the same went for me when I used models with textures, even if it's in-game.
Is the texture .blp? Because I don't see any other files besides .mdx and .blp which are 2 files with the same name but one for the portrait and the other one for the model.

Level 7
those two .blp are the same, you only need one, open the read me so you can see what to do with those.
Not sure.. This is all the read me file:

"
Heavy Bandit
Submitted by Ripper7

Uploaded on 2016-12-07

Tags: Unit, Blood Elf, Creep, High Elf, Human

Filesize: 460.61 KB

Last edited on 2016-12-12

Heavy Bandit
Filesize: 283.58 KB

Filenames: HeavyBanditNew.mdx, DranaiAkama.blp

Paths:

• DranaiAkama.blp
Portrait
Filesize: 177.03 KB

Filenames: HeavyBanditNew_portrait.mdx, DranaiAkama.blp

Paths:

• DranaiAkama.blp"

Level 10
IDK what to do anymore, here is what I did (I'm assuming this is what you did)
Import DranaiAkama.blp, HeavyBanditNew_portrait.mdx, HeavyBanditNew.mdx. I removed the war3mapImported\ part for all of them.
Then I'm done.
Bandit.PNG
My Import.PNG

Level 7
IDK what to do anymore, here is what I did (I'm assuming this is what you did)
Import DranaiAkama.blp, HeavyBanditNew_portrait.mdx, HeavyBanditNew.mdx. I removed the war3mapImported\ part for all of them.
Then I'm done.
Yeah, its what I did as well. But its not working for me... Thanks for trying to help me out though. Appreciated.

Last edited:
Well, all the issues JesusHipster mentioned remain present. Did you change the model upon update?
  • The use of a custom texture here is unjustified. A waste of KB.
  • The skull bracer has a bit too much contrast to fit the rest. You have better skull textures in the MPQ.
  • The team-colored bracer has some normals glitched.
Since changes weren't made, sent to Substandard. If you want to have it re-moderated after sorting out those issues, you may contact me.