• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

First terrain pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
These are my first terrain pics. I'd appreciate some constructive criticism. :cool:

Attachments

• River with house.JPG
    River with house.JPG
    304.9 KB · Views: 525
  • Fall Hill.JPG
    Fall Hill.JPG
    402.6 KB · Views: 480
  • Fall Village.JPG
    Fall Village.JPG
    473.2 KB · Views: 405
  • Kingdom on a beach.JPG
    Kingdom on a beach.JPG
    339.1 KB · Views: 419
  • Rainy Temple.JPG
    Rainy Temple.JPG
    339.4 KB · Views: 386
  • Lava Land.JPG
    Lava Land.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 382
  • Farm.JPG
    Farm.JPG
    279.5 KB · Views: 359
  • Desert Canyon.JPG
    Desert Canyon.JPG
    266.8 KB · Views: 350
  • Peaceful Valley.JPG
    Peaceful Valley.JPG
    354.5 KB · Views: 335
  • Barrens Look.JPG
    Barrens Look.JPG
    284.7 KB · Views: 350
  • Snow Fight.JPG
    Snow Fight.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 314
  • House on da hill.JPG
    House on da hill.JPG
    283.9 KB · Views: 432
  • ORc Ambush.JPG
    ORc Ambush.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 328
  • Tarren Camp.JPG
    Tarren Camp.JPG
    268.5 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Level 24
Well they could all really use some kind off fog, and like Void said you should avoid doodad spamming. In the second one I really don't like the tint of the shrubs. They should probably be more orange then the red colour you have got them as at the moment. Also in the second last one I think that the ground around the volcano is way to flat. But apart from that and what Void has already said they look pretty good.

Level 10
Well they could all really use some kind off fog, and like Void said you should avoid doodad spamming. In the second one I really don't like the tint of the shrubs. They should probably be more orange then the red colour you have got them as at the moment. Also in the second last one I think that the ground around the volcano is way to flat. But apart from that and what Void has already said they look pretty good.

I know... fog is my biggest weak spot... do you know of any really good tuts that explain what/how to use fog?

Level 19
scenario > map options > check use terrain fog (z start betwen 0 and 2000, z end 5000+)
and chose teh colors and press f to view fog

in case u didnt knew that ^^ cuz i can see the only fog u used is black...

the picz are really nice kinda spammy 4, 5 and 6 show the end of the world wich is not pretty to see... and those are some epic sized carrots there :D

my favorite is pic 1, i liked how u used the rocks ^^

i suggest using fooged sky to make it blend in with teh fog

ye it deserves a cookie gj

Level 10
scenario > map options > check use terrain fog (z start betwen 0 and 2000, z end 5000+)
and chose teh colors and press f to view fog

in case u didnt knew that ^^ cuz i can see the only fog u used is black...

the picz are really nice kinda spammy 4, 5 and 6 show the end of the world which is not pretty to see... and those are some epic sized carrots there :D

my favorite is pic 1, i liked how u used the rocks ^^

i suggest using fogged sky to make it blend in with the fog

ye it deserves a cookie gj

Thanks,
Only prob I'm having with the "doodad spam" is that when I put some shrubs, I keep hearing myself say "a lil more" "maybe just a bit more" and then it becomes what u guys call Doodad spamming, I understand what ur sayin, but i've seen a lot of "epic picz" with the ground being spammed with shrubs to make it look like realistic grass.

And i used a dark red fog on my last pic =P

Level 19
Thanks,
Only prob I'm having with the "doodad spam" is that when I put some shrubs, I keep hearing myself say "a lil more" "maybe just a bit more" and then it becomes what u guys call Doodad spamming, I understand what ur sayin, but i've seen a lot of "epic picz" with the ground being spammed with shrubs to make it look like realistic grass.

And i used a dark red fog on my last pic =P
yes u can spam shrubs but make them smaller to resemble real grass not the size of a footman D:

Level 10
btw added 2 more.... i know they're still kinda doodad spammed... but I think they look cool

Tell meh what I should do different for the last 2

Last edited:
Level 10
ok I added another picture.(not the snowy one, that was one I did really fast) Tried to focus on some more fog and making the grass doodad a lil smaller. Tell me what you think and/or what I can do better.

Last edited:
Level 19
Sir the last one is pure PWNZ0R!
a word of advice: before u printscreen ur terrains try "letherboxing" the image (press x) but only if u want

Level 4
I liked it a lot, especially the House on the Hill one. Could you attach the fence model you used in that one? It looks really good and I don't think I have it.

Level 4
So i'm not a terrain artist but i'm tryed to draw something. But it becomes more like playable map area than a terrain picture. I cannot draw something like THIS because it is very nicy. At first a have a problem with screenshooting this. When i'll upload my first terrain please help me how to correct it. I will post it here.

Level 6
Woah, I just looked at them and the barrens and house on da hill, they are just really great, the others is the obvious spam thing but never the less nice.
I just kind of realised in The house on da hill, you used candles, as opposed to lanterns. Im just curious if theres a reason behind it, it seems lanterns would fit the scene better than candles.

Level 7
Nice Terrains.

Hey,

Nice Terrains I liked all of them and reckon you should become a terrain editor for maps or something because you have brilliant talent in the art of Warcraft 3 terrain making.

My two favorite terrains out of the lot would have to be lavaland and dessert canyon, I just love the uniqueness of them both and they were not overcrowded with doodads.

You could improve on a few minor things but you just have to remember it isn't about over-crowding with doodas as such than to the texture and style of the terrain aswell.

Good job on your terrains and I hope you will go far,
Lag_reviews

Ps: What are you going to use all your terrains for?

Status
Not open for further replies.