• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tauren village

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I decided to do a piece of terrain on my favourite race, the tauren!

Any constructive criticism would be appreciated (don't be too rough, 'tis my first terrain)

The last 3 pics are the most recent ones.

Attachments

• Tauren Village.jpg
    Tauren Village.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 1,573
  • Tauren Village 2.jpg
    Tauren Village 2.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 627
  • Tauren Village 3a.jpg
    Tauren Village 3a.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 897
  • Tauren Village 3b.jpg
    Tauren Village 3b.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 524
  • Tauren Village 3c.jpg
    Tauren Village 3c.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:
Level 18
Well it is you first terrain, and generaly people shouldn't post their first stuff but you did, so here I am commenting:

It looks:

- Plain
- Boring
- Nothing much in this terrain, beside a couple of cool models

So, how to improve?

- Read a few terraining tutorials
- Enviromental dodoads - use them
- Tile variation - do it
- Fog - That is good too

Good Luck, bounty_hunter2

Level 3
It looks empty and pretty boring , Where you got those cool tauren house models?

They're in the UTM.

Well it is you first terrain, and generaly people shouldn't post their first stuff but you did, so here I am commenting:

It looks:

- Plain
- Boring
- Nothing much in this terrain, beside a couple of cool models

So, how to improve?

- Enviromental dodoads - use them
- Tile variation - do it
- Fog - That is good too

Good Luck, bounty_hunter2

Thanks for all the comments :) I've redone it bearing in mind what you just said. It looks much better now thanks.
I'd +rep you but I've already repped you >.<

Level 7
it this one fo those empty world the trees float? o_O

too empty, you have a floating tree, no tile (or grass) variation, no vegitation, no tauren o_O

add some mroe tauren int he town too, unless they all died of some plauge, then ahve some bodies
npt bad, just keep working on it :)

Level 3
Yeah, sort've. I used the models in that map which are also the same as the UTM.

I've also edited the original post with 3 new shots from different angles.

Level 7
i mentioned this earlier, but you have floating objects or things that are sitting on top of the ground. some plants, like those ferns are floating. and some of your tents seem to be too o_O. also you foreground is still too plain. add mountians from the distant suroundings, or a line a trees of various trypes. or trees on a mountian! and objects like those totems dont just sit on top of things. lower them into the ground so you can see the premade ulgy base there one and add some better looking rocks and vegitation to make it appear that the totme, or whatever structure has aged, and this isnt a newly made town. your improving good job! :)

Level 36

Where? xD

And just some advice, do not rely on tutorials. In fact, tutorials are quite restricting if you rely on them. I don't know how in fuck's name half the people here have gotten their strange obsession with tutorials, but I haven't used a single terrain tutorial and look where I am now. I'm sure many others here haven't either.

Just some interesting thoughts I've gathered from the tutorial that I wrote, however. After I wrote it, every forthcoming terrain from a newer terrainer used the exact same techniques given in my tutorial, and even the exact same doodads. I'd say the same for my first tutorial, except the influence of that one was more subtle, but I still see it now.

In my opinion, the best works of art take influence from nothing.

Level 18
Sorry for replying so late at the thread, but I was going through threads I replied and came to this:

Void, I don't like tutorials, I never used them with GUI, and I learnt everything by myself. I had a lot of time for it. But some people don't, begginers don't know where to start what to do, they think: "Wtf is this for?" and they quit soon. Tutorials come in handy then.

Anyway I don't like tutorials, but begginers should definetly look at some.

Status
Not open for further replies.