• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Deleting what you did today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
WherewolfTherewolf said:
Too bad we're not all supremely logical beings like you, imagine the possibilities
The possibilities will never be the same.

Zombie said:
Is there an actual reason why we are enforcing this all work and no play philosophy anyway?
Re-open the thread. Start up Something Else again, for all I care (What's the difference anyway? They're both a single link on the OT page). I don't see much wrong in having these spam garbages. Then again, I don't see much right in having them either, given you already have the chat for that kind of stuff.

Mr. Bob said:
Its funny how people want this site to be no entertainment and all serious business.
You forgot an apostrophe there.

Mr. Bob said:
It's as if there is an island somewhere where people slap each other all the time. Everyone on the island loves to slap each other. Everyone not on the island hates to slap each other. So, everyone not on the island decides to destroy the island... YOUR NOT ON THE FREAKING ISLAND. THOSE BLOODY ISLANDERS CAN HAVE THEIR SLAPS. Plus, if you destroy the island, they will all just come here to slap us.
Oh, now it all makes sense.

Zombie said:
It's an e-peen thing, really. People talk with ludicrously correct grammar, troll others and try to act like like they're 40 to make themselves believe they're intelligent or superior to others.
I can't see a single grammar mistake there. 100%.

WILLTHEALMIGHTY said:
... in other words, watch as OT stays exactly as stupid as it already is!
Yeah, to be honest I don't remember seeing any significant inflow of shitspam after SE closed down, other than Nova's posts, but that was because he was a troll and would've done it anyway. Same goes for this.

Level 20
Mr. Bob said:
Hindy, stop insulting me because you have a fragile ego, and answer my question.
Excuse me, but I was being sarcastic. Clearly, my ego is at fault. I also have no idea which question you're talking about, so I'll go through all of them.

Why exactly was it closed?
Because it can easily be replaced by the chat/OT; because it's spam; because I don't know, ask Squiggy?

Why do you care?
Annoying stuff annoys me. Like I said, I don't have much of a problem with spam threads, but I don't support them either. If it's closed, big fucking deal. If it's open, k.

Here's how I'm imagining this situation, as conveyed by people in this thread. Every single member of THW has little spam-manufacturing machines in their mouthes. These machines constantly build spam. Eventually, the spam buildup just gets unbearably large and the THW member's mouth bursts open, releasing all the spam and starting the process anew.

Is that really how it works? I highly doubt it, given how much useless and random stuff is in OT regardless of SE or "What you did today."

What is the spam ruining?
Nothing more that the usual. Why aren't we allowed to double post? Why is spam against the rules? Like I said, I don't care for the spam. Why don't you spam in other places? What's so special about this thread?

That seems to be all of the sentences which ended in question marks.

I'd like to see the entire OT section locked down for a few weeks or a month, just to see what happens. Maybe people would finally wise up and realise the chatroom is where all these stupid/useless topics should go.

You don't need to make a thread about "DO YOU LIKE DR WHO" when you can simply just ask in the chat. Same with telling everyone about your truly mind blowing questions about THW Robot waring (whatever the fuck that means).

Level 31
@Hindy
You act as if it's all over the Hive...just don't go to that thread.

Excuse me, but I was being sarcastic. Clearly, my ego is at fault. I also have no idea which question you're talking about, so I'll go through all of them.

Oh, Hindy. You silly little man...

@WILL, then don't go there? Clearly, people enjoy that nonsense...

I know you guys are old**** who liked it when there were only a few of you. But, we aren't in Kansas anymore Toto...

Last edited by a moderator:
SERIOUSLY

It's one thread on an entire site full of threads.
No one is forcing you to look at it, your not obligated in any way to look at it nor is it in a position where it's being forced on you.

To continue hating it, you have to look at the thread knowing you hate it anyways just to validate your hatred of it.

Do you lose sleep or something knowing people are posting in it or something?

Honestly this whole argument is more of a waste of effort on your part then tolerating/ignoring the thread in the first place.

So what, now that it's closed how are you going to prevent an equivalent from coming? Close all threads with + many posts? Have a committee evaluate every thread for it's intellectual value?

@WILL, then don't go there? Clearly, people enjoy that nonsense....
This is exactly what I said in the first place.

It's just that if we're really going to try and fix this "spam problem", ignoring the fact that it's not a problem, simply using another place to dump all the spam won't do anything... also it doesn't make sense. Spam doesn't need to happen, but it will in any Off-Topic forum.

Level 20
@Hindy
You act as if it's all over the Hive...just don't go to that thread.

Oh, Hindy. You silly little man...

I know you guys are old**** who liked it when there were only a few of you. But, we aren't in Kansas anymore Toto...
If you'd bother reading what I write, you'd know that:
1) There is pretty much random bullshit everywhere in OT.
2) I said I don't care for spam.

Also, I am not an oldfag by any means, and I'd appreciate if you'd stop taunting me and instead answer my questions or at least respond to my post with something more than random bullshit.

Level 31
If you'd bother reading what I write, you'd know that:
1) There is pretty much random bullshit everywhere in OT.
2) I said I don't care for spam.

Also, I am not an oldfag by any means, and I'd appreciate if you'd stop taunting me and instead answer my questions or at least respond to my post with something more than random bullshit.

I'm not talking about OT. Talking about that thread.

I'll be back to talk about this more tomorrow.

Btw, I really don't care if that post before was sarcasm or not.

Well the thing is:
We don't need such things.
We have clear rules about such things.
And just because you don't want to follow the rules (which are in fact in every forum that is something bigger) does not mean we need to have a spam thread on this board.
This is not only about seriousness, its also about having a proper manner to talk to each other. You can still share such things in the chat if you want to. (Which was basically one of the ideas of creating the chat, you know?)

Just because there's stupid posts in it doesn't mean you can deem the whole thread a load of spam - some people actually started serious mini conversations in it on actual topics.

Who's the judge what an actual "stupid" thread really is?
Of course there's the obviously idiotic threads, but I'm sure you can get varying answers on that thread by asking the different people arguing over it now.

Honestly if your going to close the What you did today thread for being dumb, your going to have to go through and purge the entire Off topic section to fit with your standards.

Level 35
Not the same topic and that guy didn't post on the what you did today thread anyway. :p

You got me wrong.

The thread begun as a... fuck... relatively normal discussion, then at 07:35 PM yesterday, when the WYDT thread got closed, the robot warning thread no longer made sense.

Post 7, posted at 06:54 PM was well... at least it made sense, but the post made directly as WYDT was closed down, at 09:07 PM no longer did so. Neither did any of the other posts following it.

I was simply referring to the fact that uncontained spam began to spread already.

Because it's useless?

Well to be very literal, most threads in Off Topic are incredibly useless (even the ones in Medvhs Tower) - it's a wc3/sc2 site so anything offtopic to wc3/sc2 must be eliminated as it serves no purpose to the sites intentions at all.

Now should we actually go through with this? No - no one wants to talk about wc3/sc2 all the time.

Level 35
Right.

SE is useless. OT is useless. This is a Warcraft 3 modding site.

Take that into a little consideration. What is the actual use in modding Warcraft 3? Is there a purpose in Warcraft 3 modding other than spending time and getting entertained with doing so?

Entertainment and enjoyment without gaining anything else from it. The same is served by OT or SE. Why bar the fun of those who have fun with attending these sections?

Some people may find WC3 modding as useless as OT or SE, but you know what they do? They don't plea for their removal, they simply ignore its existence and look for other means of entertainment. Why can't the same be done with OT or SE? Why can't WC3 modding coexist with something unrelated to the said topic? As said many times before, no one is actually forcing you to click the "off-topic" link.

If we're getting into marketing (the placement section thereof), move it to the bottom of the forums page, as it intentionally has been and is so at other sites. That's about all to it.

(I was -actually- trying to make a point this time, for the first time in five pages. >_>)

Oh...

Btw...

This thread won't achieve anything (but me looking like a conspirator again) since the staff is already discussing this issue in their private club.

(Итьс нот лике усер опинион евер маттерс анывай. Q_Q)

Level 18
Right.

SE is useless. OT is useless. This is a Warcraft 3 modding site.

Take that into a little consideration. What is the actual use in modding Warcraft 3? Is there a purpose in Warcraft 3 modding other than spending time and getting entertained with doing so?

Entertainment and enjoyment without gaining anything else from it. The same is served by OT or SE. Why bar the fun of those who have fun with attending these sections?

Some people may find WC3 modding as useless as OT or SE, but you know what they do? They don't plea for their removal, they simply ignore its existence and look for other means of entertainment. Why can't the same be done with OT or SE? Why can't WC3 modding coexist with something unrelated to the said topic? As said many times before, no one is actually forcing you to click the "off-topic" link.
Agreed, I don't know exactly what will happen with the thread though.
I was for keeping the thread open since it didn't really give any problems and was a nice way to share information users felt like sharing (not that everyone would be interested in it, but it wasn't necessary to read it anyway), but I'm quite sure nobody is going to bother reopening it.
I do not think it's that much of a loss, but see no point in having is closed.

Level 11
I was meaning to ask the community though, what do we gain by closing the thread?
Bandwidth.

In all honesty though, no real point to close it. If people come into off-topic expecting serious threads with serious discussions, they are probably just bad at navigating the internet. It cannot be useless if so many people (as it has tons of replies) find it entertaining and since the only purpose of such a board (rather, this entire site) is merely entertainment to begin with. It cannot be irrelevant if it is in off-topic; as an off topic board is by definition one of irrelevance.

If you don't like it, then you can learn to deal with it. I'm sure you'll find much worse shit in life that you need to deal with than a single thread on a forums you can simply not click on.

Level 31
People act like they are being forced to go to the OT forum... just...don't... D:

Sure, you may not find entertainment in it, but obviously quite a few people do.

Again I say, why limit "entertainment" to chat when the point of this site is to mod a game...for entertainment...

EDIT: Btw, I did a quick count of all those in favor of closing it or not. (Based on the number of people, not based on the number of posts.)

Looks like about 6 people on this thread want it closed.

And, about 17 who would rather not have it closed.

EDIT AGAIN: Ah. Looks like it got reopened.

Last edited:
Level 24
Its funny how people want this site to be no entertainment and all serious business. When infact, the site is here for modifications to a game that is played for...entertainment...

Terrible argument is terrible. "People" don't want the site to become a giant morass of stupidity, not the same thing as not entertaining.

Personally, I wasn't abject to the thread, but also not a huge proponent. Just posting to say the matter is under staff consideration.

Level 27
Well if you want entertainment not belonging to hive/gaming you are free to open discussions on other forums or go into the hive chat, talk about it in MSN/ICQ/whatever conversations and do your stuff there. There is no real use of having an OffTopic thread here.

-People are lazy and not allways have lots of forums, they might prefer to settle in one, like Hive.
-OT is forum classics. People will allways have something they will want to discuss with other people here at forums.
-Chat? Don't know why, that won't really work. In forums there allways is some kind of thread that is semi-chat and has no real them. Like our WYDT. If we'll delete it, people will search for other place for this. If we'll delete it too, people will still search for it, they'll jump from one rock from another and we won't achieve anything good this way, just destroy a bunch of rocks behind us, leave most of users sink behind.

-People are lazy and not allways have lots of forums, they might prefer to settle in one, like Hive.
But still, just because people are lazy does not mean we have to support it, does it?

-OT is forum classics. People will allways have something they will want to discuss with other people here at forums.
But we don't really need/want it. Why do you think its so important to have a spam forum? We don't have to scream out every stupid thing that we've done.

-Chat? Don't know why, that won't really work. In forums there allways is some kind of thread that is semi-chat and has no real them. Like our WYDT. If we'll delete it, people will search for other place for this. If we'll delete it too, people will still search for it, they'll jump from one rock from another and we won't achieve anything good this way, just destroy a bunch of rocks behind us, leave most of users sink behind.
Well, then make such discussions in other instant messengers.

Level 27
I'm still kinda against all this, THw is not only about Warcraft 3 modding, it's about people, and people might have toughs they want to share.
Plus spam is not that big problem, but it will become if we'll delete OT. Without it all the spam will spread around other parts of forums, making it harder to control than in one place. mods already have things to do and I doubt overcomplicating their job is a good idea.

The real problem are the people that are NOT willing to reduce the spam. Just because there are people who like to spam says we should make it easy for them to spam around. Hive is a place which is highly against spam and I think we should try to not open forums just because spammers want it. Maybe we need some harder rules so spammers get muted or something like that.

Level 27
Ehem, did you called my spammer?

Yes, you're right, I think that instead of clossing something, it should have stricter rules. Like "In WYDT you can only tell what you did today or some other day some time ago or comment someone's also post without going too much offtopic. Silly or really short and usless posts like "Today I woke up and had breakfast" won't be tolerated!".

That's bullshit. If a site's OT is empty, the rest of the site is too. OT stimulates the formation of a community.
Nope, offtopic sections actually represents the rules of the site plus the kind of users using it. (Do you mind checking your words next time?)

I was meaning to ask the community though, what do we gain by closing the thread?
We have less spam.

Level 30
Nope, offtopic sections actually represents the rules of the site plus the kind of users using it. (Do you mind checking your words next time?)
Bullshit. You're not making any sense. Go ahead, create a community without an Off-topic section. See how active it is. (Would you mind making sense next time?)

Level 31
We have less spam.

Then don't go to the forum dedicated to off topic discussions...

Devine has a point though. If your remove OT, you'll end up with just WC3/SC2 related stuff. A lot of the community aspects will be lost. (Stop telling people to check their words.)

The real problem are the people that are NOT willing to reduce the spam.

That's unrealistic. You'll end up with only a handful of users.

Please bring SE back!!!11 :3
OT will get less shitty as it used to be.

EDIT:
I know it's a Waste Of Bandwidth.... but maybe if every thread that is a week old with no new posts is deleted? It would be fine!
Trolls release their trolling intentions, we read bullshit, laugh at it, it's healthy and funny. :)
Still, there would a a leak of this rule to avoid WOB. If a thread get 100000000 replies it won't get old. Also, if it had too much activity it would get quite heavy and would cause WOB. That can be fixed with 3 simple basic rules:

Something Else Section.

• Threads with no response for a week are automatically deleted.
  • When a thread reaches 1000 replies, it is automatically deleted.
  • The forum must have only 1 page of threads. A thread which order number goes ahead the maximum number of threads per page is automatically deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.