• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Contest - Bossfight

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said, i am working on the rules, and will completly re-organize them soon. Thnaks for rules suggestions, and no need to appologise teuncreemers.

Edit:

I Never said rules were bad. i fact thats what i have been working on, they will ofc be completely strict, if there are rules then if you deviate you will be disqualified, the only things we need are more difining rules, i just want avator to back off and stop being so aggresive about it.

Level 3
Well, I guess I can join a group that needs a terrain or some ideas since I can't do anything texture wise(broken tablet ; - ;) or code wise besides GUI and we all know how inferior GUI is xD.

And sounds like a great contest idea, even if a lot of people don't enter, the scripts for bosses and etc will help people make some more maps like Obsidian Depths or Impossible Bosses! ... hopefully :p.

Level 25
The World Is Flat said:
• They will be rated on: Originality, X-Factor, Flow, Play style, Phase Planner, Coding, and Theme (How accurately they stick with the theme.)

He mentioned an X-Factor there which tbh i don't like and think should be excluded and the rating should be brought down to the 6 i listed:
  • Theme
  • Gameplay
  • Coding
  • Atmosphere
  • Balance

At least i think it should :p

Level 7
He mentioned an X-Factor there which tbh i don't like and think should be excluded and the rating should be brought down to the 6 i listed:
  • Theme
  • Gameplay
  • Coding
  • Atmosphere
  • Balance

At least i think it should :p

you are right on every thing except balance
how can you balance something if you already dont have anything to balance too
or you think balance is in the possibility to kill the boss (something like difficulty changes on 5 or 10 men-ing him)

Level 25
If the boss can't be killed by a maximum number of players in a map then i would call it imbalanced, no?

If it is killable by 1 player easily i would also say that that submision won't get much points in the balance category.

It is more a measurement is the boss realistic or not, it shouldn't be easy to kill but neither should it be unkillable :p

EDIT:

If you want call it difficult, but balance sounds better imho.

Level 13
Well Balance is all about the possibility for fact if the boss isn't being overpowered or underpowered.
In a bossfight, we are to make here, it's supposed to a boss that takes some thought and experience in order to beat the boss.

So either it shouldn't be a boss that can be steamrolled over, or just obliterative you in the first seconds.

exactly what hemlock said. it should be possible to beat on a first try but extremely hard. so you dont get killed in first few seconds and you learn as you go what to do. and even when you have done it a couple times should be challenging.

yep :) lol, its gotta be really hard like a japanese video game >.< (American video game difficulty is nothing compared to them O.O)

Level 25
Diablo 2 boss: Diablo is a good example of the simplest boss there is.

There are several skills he uses against you and if you are skilled you can kill him the 1st time you face him, if you aren't skilled you will probably die the 1st time he uses his red lightning attack.

And even skilled players sometimes die from that attack just because of 1 moment of unconcentration.

But that was Diablo 2, this is Warcraft 3, surely the advantages of making much better bosses has expanded.

I would say a good boss is one you can kill alone in 10-15 minutes, not half an hour.

A bad example would be a boss that needs button mashing for 30 minutes, or getting him killed in the 1st 2 minutes :p
EDIT:
If anyone ever played DMC3/DMC4 they should know what a good bossfight can be, especialy if they played royal guard/trickster.

Level 19
I'd say a cool boss has the following aspects:

- Movement. There is movement required to do the boss event. He could per example do an AoE attack to a certain indicated area which you gotta avoid. You could make a boss even one-shot people with avoidable damage while not making him overpowered.
- Damage/Pressure to every player. Every player in the fight should work! If you have a bossfight with the stereotype tank/healer/dps setup you should not only let the boss hit the tank. Pressure should be added to the dps or healer in the form of debuffs or avoidable damage.

You could add a high attack damage value for a boss to make him hard. But that would mean you can make a boss hard by making it as if the healer is unfocussed for ~2 seconds you lose. I would always make a boss hard by adding the 2 aspects mentioned above here. Making a boss harder will mean I add more or stronger movement/pressure aspects to the fight. A higher damage value is lame I'd say, and will only result in bad luck losses.

Level 13
Well, I'd advice not to spoil all your ideas, seeing this contest is going to start in about 2 days, so you can start on your maps, and all your creative idea's.
Looking forward to see what people are going to come up with.

Ok, i'm set with the ratings sry guys. it says when the bossfight will sart btw...

And X-Factor means intensity, excitment and fun involved. - So i don't exactly se how it is descriminatory.

EDIT:

We Start Tomarrow.

Give me a good reason to change somthing and i will.

EDIT:

New Rule:

You map may be from 1-4 players but no more for this contest.

Level 25
Gameplay category should cover up the X-factor, i really don't like the current judging criteria since it isn't even clarified, please put up a finaly judging criteria with the maximum score number and the score each category can achieve.

Gameplay can replace all 3 factors(X-factor,flow,play style).

Status
Not open for further replies.