• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Sanity's Edge Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
A man with a dark hood walks into the middle of the room. He turns to his left... sees nothing. He turns to his right.. sees nothing. He turns to look behind him... sees nothing. He looks in front of him, and gets hit by a frying pan.

lol I'm back from my epicly long slumber from WC3 or Hive. Project looks like its moving a bit slow :(). And is there still space for me left or has my spot been filled by another?

Level 14
I’m going to have to intervene here, because I have 2 major concerns with this.

One:

So far, at this point in the boss fight, the High Doctor that he has power over the four primary elements as well as the world of shadow. He also has the ability of teleportation, as well as extreme speed. He has enhanced strength and enhanced armor. He is trained in the art of close quarters combat, as well as the enchanted arts of that field. He can use energy drawn from the earth and apply it to that combat skill, allowing him to shoot out shockwaves. He can summon animals, as well as creatures from the world of shadow.

And he’s only at 75% health.

There are so many fields of boss abilities you are putting into this boss that you are giving a general nod to, simply to fill up your fight. The elementals, the teleportation (blinking), as well as the summoning of minions are the ones that fit the best to themselves and to their boss, and are also the ones that are being used to maximum efficiency for the bosses themes. Notice how all of the bosses we have so far follow only a few of the abilities you are using, but have gone in-depth and creative with each one, allowing for multiple phases and an enjoyable boss fight. For example, Haknora only uses fire-type spells, while he has 6 intricate phases. Another example for combinations of fields, The Naga Warlord has the water element, combat training, as well as the ability to summon minions. And we got 12 phases out of it.

Now, my main problem is not that you have so many fields in your boss, but that we won’t be able to use them all to full bloom in other bosses. We have 20 other bosses to create, and most of them will have to use the fields you are going into, which will cause a strain on ideas, and then the eventual over-lap of abilities. And that’s a problem.

Two:

My second concern is for how you are going to plan the rest of the boss-fight out. You are currently at 75% health with eight complex phases. At this point, you can’t just add 3 phases and be done with it. For a boss, you have to increase in difficulty and velocity as you continue through. Which means you will have to have around 24 more complex and harder phases. 32 phases is way too much. However, it’s your boss, so I’ll let you find the appropriate solution that fits your desires.

There is a name for the type of boss you have here, as it is an existing and accepted boss type. It would be an Affinity: Universal boss. A Universal boss fight is when you take the fields of all the previous bosses and apply them to the Universal boss. This affinity is great for end-game bosses, as it allows you to create a boss who holds the true meaning of power in his hands, and allows the designer to go all-out on the ideas.

The reason I don’t like the Universal Affinity being applied to your boss is because he is a “High Witch Doctor.” Witch doctors generally commune with the otherworldly powers, and at the point where your Witch Doctor is in experience, call them to their aid. They are NOT the otherworldly powers themselves. This would prevent them from being an end-game boss, and why I don’t believe he should be universal.

~Asomath

Accually, i was thinking of the bosses extreme power myself, and was thinking of accually having him be one of the near final bosses. perhapes there could be some storyline element to this, like "the esence of those powerful beings defeated, fused together in a reborn attempt to destroy the champion." or somthing. Full-Iron, take what Asomath says into accoount.

Level 4
Thanks for your post (will give + rep.) Now;

The story line of the boss, i see what you mean having way too many elements such as the Which doctor (Yes i keep spellnig this wrongly...) has the orb phase where you have to attack the right orbs, and later on he is able to summon minions, however, this is done by fusing potions he makes. What i have not made clear (Beucase the story line is not complete yet, however changes will probbably happen to the story line.) The following things i was going to add into the story, if you dont want to spoil some cool bits of it, i sujest you look away now! :O

1.) Turns out the blacksmith (That other guys boss) was possesd by the High Doctor, this was suppose to be a chocking turn of events for the player, the high doctor is bases on summoning and shadow arts. This is beucase it turns out that The High Doctor was the one who summoned them all, Kara'mos (Whos name is changed to the players name/Hero) was seeking out for revenge, the story line just shows what was going on back in town whilst Kara'mos (The player whom i got the name wrong of the MC , main character) Leover wants to help find Kara'mos to tell him that h e is too powerful, he finds this out the hard way.
2.) The High Docotr and The Which Doctor are different sets of bosses, High doctor bases on crafting potions and elements, for example, the experment table attacks. And the rifts open so that mininons spawn out of them, this is The High Doctor doing this minion spawning, taking you BACK in time to display the herfic events that happend to Kara'mos village.
3.) Turns out The Which Doctor had some essence left in him and maybe givs him some power or something? A little hard to exaplin, this might help you understand.

Wait, Kara'mos is not the hero, right? and i'm noth shure about this other boss yet either, nothing is set in sotne much yet about him. and also, we may have to change some things about this storyline and boss to make it fit into the campaign, so just beware that may aspects of it may change before he is implemented, and i hope you are alright with that.

i dont quite get what you are trying to tell me here...

Level 4
Yep, NP, what i tried to explain was not clear:

I know the boss story line will be changed causing the boss to change, but we can always change the phases around giving it that nice fine clean to it, what i say is let me do what i like with the boss and the story line, there on after, if we want to change the story line of the WHOLE game to fit around this boss or just beucase it is better (This is highly unlikely, but you might change your minds after the story lines are complete, to add a little twist into the orginal storyline.) So, yeah, just let me do what i do with the boss and the whole team/community can give feedback on what needs to be changed or if a phase should not be within this boss or is in the wrong place, understand? :)

Level 4
OK, No problem, so, i assume that blacksmith boss is still in, he comes in at the latest story line part, the guy who tells him to come in. Is this still happening, if so, i would like to see this boss. Please tell the guy who made him to PM me the whole boss even if it is not finished (If he is still in.) Sorry if this boss was meant for earlyr boss rather then coming up to an end game boss, i get a bit too carryed away sometimes. Thanks!

~

Accually, mate. i would prefer if you boss is a self-contained unit, with no ties to the other boss in this map...

just work around your direct boss and his area in the map... perhapes work into the story somthing like the witch doctor uses the spirits of the fallem bosses before him (and thats his power, becassue witch-doctors use spirits to do their bidding, their only skill is controlling the spirits...)

Level 8
hmm i could join as a brainstormer for story and boss idea's tough I'm to lazy to read the whole thread. I'll need someone to fill me in on what you guys already have.

Kind regards,
Yours Phoonix.

Level 8
like a story i once wrote a concept of a project? or what? you read the story i am writing so hmm. i had to brainstorm on that to.

Level 8
hmm well I'm not completely getting the story so eh i have been in the story development thread but I'm not sure as to how for the story is developed yet. could you fill me in on that first? like send me a PM whit all the story so that i have a main vieuw of everything.

Level 8
TWIF here is the thing of the first mission i came up whit.
SANITY'S EDGE CHAPTER ONE

Angus is walking on the path to the mages tower.
“Ugh where is this damn tower, this mage better has information worth of my search.”
----------------------------------------------------------
Main Quest1: The mages tower.
-Locate the mages tower
-Angus must survive
You locate the tower
Angus walks to Anorath whom stands in front of the tower
Angus: are you the mage Anorath?
Anorath: Yes I am, and you are Angus. You come to seek information about the beast terrorizing our lands.
Angus: How do you… oh never mind. Do you have anything to share whit me about the beast?
Anorath: I do but before I tell you I have a task for you. Some wretched bandits stole all of my magic potions… I want you to retrieve them from me. It shouldn’t be to hard to find their encampment.
Main Quest2: The magic potions
-find and retrieve the magic potions
-Angus must survive
You find the bandit camp and retrieve the magic potions.
As you are about to leave the camp you notice a cage whit a prisoner in it. He also notices you.
Calcath: Help me! They are going to execute me soon! I’m the prince. Prince Calcath!
Agnus then gets knocked out from behind. When you wake up you are in the cage and you can hear drums from further in the camp. You look around to find a way out and eventually find a metal bar and use it as a leverage to open the cage. You retrieve your equipment and go after the prince.
Main Quest3: Save the prince
-the prince is brought to the bandit’s execution grounds save him. (XXX time limit)
-Angus must survive
On your way to the execution grounds bandits will spawn to stop you and block your way.
You reach the execution grounds. A voice speaks from behind a fire in front of the pole stands and the prince tied onto it.
Bandit rider: Let him in boys… lets give him the welcome he deserves. I mean he is a guest in our humble little bandit town isn’t he?
The bandits make a big circle around you and the bandit lord in the middle of the circle the fire and the pole.
(I was thinking that the circle is an add to the fight. When you get to close the bandits circle they also do damage tough they don’t really move they just keep standing in a circle)
Main Quest4: Kill the bandit rider
-Kill the bandit rider
-Agnus must survive
The bandit rider falls dead on the ground the bandits stop yelling. A silence falls.
Bandit: Im… impossible! He killed him!
Angus: and you will have the same fate if you stand there any longer!
The bandits all run off in fear. You free the prince.
Calcath: thank you! Thank you! When my father hears about this he will reward you greatly!
Agnus: It was your father who sent me here in the first place. Now go back to the palace.
Calcath runs off.
Angus returns to the tower only to find it ruined and Anorath dead
Angus: Great! Now how am I going to defeat this thing, now that I know nothing about it!
He glares at the area, only to see a path of fire and destruction going right through the forest.
Angus: It was probably one of those cursed things that killed him. They knew they were being hunted, and Anorath knew probably how to kill them, but why he is dead then..? Guess I'll just have to hunt them myself, having no idea who or what they are..
He walks down the blighted path, and dissapears behind the trees.
Ready for a long hunt to come.
i know the last part is the same as written by vosty but i lied it and didn't want to change it. tell me what you think ^^

Kind regards,
Yours Phoonix.

Level 8
well the way I understood your boss thing is like this: 1 boss is a must kill and another is optional so the ogre would probably be placed somewhere in a side-quest and you can kill it when you go search for the tower or the bandit camp. tough i don't really see a good way to integrate this into the story :/

Status
Not open for further replies.