• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Cinematic Contest #4 - The Story of...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Why should I change :p
I already made a good part of the story. Beside, I posted idea first :p

And, point of the story is how tease 2 tell a story.

Level 11
Rules don't say anything about the size of the map, just length of cinematic.
But I recommend you don't make it that big.

Ask Linaze.

Level 18
It's up to the participant to decide if he makes it short (with at least 2 minutes cinematic time) or long (with at most 10 minutes). Some people prefer longer ones over shorter and others prefer the other way around. There is no recommendation about it.

As for your idea, chilla_killa: A cinematic like that isn't really original, because the story told is already known by many people. a Story made up by yourself will score a lot higher.

Level 11
You can have testers who will watch the cinematic, but that wont do any work on it. Its stated in the rules.

So anyone started making something. Cuz I am at least 1/3 done. Just need do fix few things.

Level 18
HailFireer, if you claim you finished your submission after not even a week, you either never sleep or your submission is going to be the bar for minimum quality requirements. In other words: It's going to be rubbish. Make your submission a lot higher quality, because making it in that amount of time guarantees it's no good.

Level 11
HailFireer, if you claim you finished your submission after not even a week, you either never sleep or your submission is going to be the bar for minimum quality requirements. In other words: It's going to be rubbish. Make your submission a lot higher quality, because making it in that amount of time guarantees it's no good.

I said I made 1/3. Now that part needs improving terrain, camera, gamer & spelling. I didnt said I finished it...

Level 12
Well, I'm putting my idea out now so that, should someone have a similar idea, they can't claim I stole it from them.

My cinematic tells the story of the Blood Blade, a fabled blade that is said to make the one who wields it invincible in battle. However, the Blood Blade has a dark history, full of love, hate, murder, suicide, and an eternal lust for revenge.

The cinematic will have five short scenes, each about two minutes long.

You'll probably see a rough draft of scene one from me shortly. Good luck, everyone.

Level 5
This is my idea so that nobody can steal or try to imitate it ^^ :D

Storyline- My cinematic is about a Legendary Samurai who is a hero that saved a village from being destroyed by an evil dark warlord. My cinematic talks about his background and how he defeated the Warlord.

or

The supposed death of an entire land -- there are only two survivors - the hero and an old man. The old man talks about how the destruction of the land came about.

Level 14
Does it have to be all narrative or can it be say 40% narrative and 60% normal. For example, I'd use the narrator at the start of the story, end and in between every scene or possibly every other scene but the rest of the story would be played out by the characters of that story. Is that alright?

Level 17
If you need help judging at any time for any reason, just PM me. Though I highly doubt it as one judge is probably enough.

However, I wish you all luck. I would join but my WE keeps having a stroke everytime I bloody open it. -_-

Level 18
Guess I'll describe my cinematic as well then.

Limited Time is a cinematic about the final moments of the common man named Samuel, dying of a rare disease that was thought to be cured, but was only suppressing the virus.

I doubt anybody will have anything like this, because it''s modern age (as my previous cinematic), and most people make a cinematic in the Wc3 default theme: Medieval time, which is boring and far too common for my taste xD
Either way, best luck to all participants and see you in the top 3 xD

Level 11
Although, your right about medieval being overused and boring, it's risky to try and kick it up a notch to modern times, even with the current amount of models, it's hard to pull off.

Level 15
Well I just got a little bit of motivation to do something for this contest. I don't know if I'll finish, but we'll see.

I just made something quickly this morning. Just a WIP

WIP.jpg

I also have a few questions.

1. When your camera is high from the ground, the background doesnt fill the whole sky. How can I make it so that it does.

Question 1.jpg

2. With certain doodads when the camera passes half way over it, the other half dissapears. Why does it do that and how can i stop it.

Question 2.jpg

Notice how the naga platform where the red is, dissapears.

Level 18
The problem with models disappearing when a camera gets to close to it is very, very common and you will not be negatively rated for that reason.

Tip for all cinematic creators about this issue: Get your camera's at larger distance until the model is completely visible. Then set the camera to the normal distance by using the Field of View (FoV) only. More FoV will give nearly the same effect as a larger distance, but will not effect models disappearing.
However, don't change these more then needed or it'll give even stranger effects on other nearby models that won't appear completely.

I've done a little bit of terraining: The beach house.

wip1.jpg

wip2a.jpg

Level 18
lol what both of you said does not work with the sky lol.

It is impossible to have a humongous camera angle, and manage to fit the sky box into the pic without it looking retarded.

Your only hope for that sky box problem is to make your doodads smaller, and to make the camera smaller , in every way, and manipulate the camera and doodads so that it APPEARS to look far, or that it APPEARS to look large, and manaage the sky box to be in it.

That is what i do and so far am successful in my attempts.

Ill give my WIPS sooner or later...

My cinematic is about the story of a man we all know...some of us hate him, some of us love him...but all of us fear him. You will soon know who he is. The name of my cinematic might be " Eternal Legacy "

Level 15
My storyline isnt developed yet, but it is basically a naga outcast who wants revenge against the naga who was responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.