• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Before you buy elder scrolls online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Not worth the money. I have experienced more problems in this game than the ones described in this video:

And not only is there not a general issue forum on their website, but their customer support is terrible. 4 weeks in and I had cancelled my subscription.

That's the worst record for any game I have played.:ogre_icwydt:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I have experienced more problems in this game than the ones described in this video:
Wait you were actually expecting it to not have problems?! This is an Elder Scrolls game for crying out loud. If it did not have problems it would hardly be Elder Scrolls.

Recall Oblivion where you could literally break most stuff.

Level 4
Wait you were actually expecting it to not have problems?! This is an Elder Scrolls game for crying out loud. If it did not have problems it would hardly be Elder Scrolls.

Recall Oblivion where you could literally break most stuff.
This is what I thought -- when in Morrowind you'd literally fall out of the floor during crucial moments.

HOLY CRAP! 60$ plus 15$ per month and then you even have to pay ADDITIONAL 20$ if you want to play all races? Seriously, what the heck were they thinking, charging more than even WoW did while performing totally mediocre on every aspect?

Seriously, I just hope that this rips a giant hole into the purse of the publisher so that the ones that are to blame for this stupid business model get fired for their idiocy.

I don't get whats with the lack of quality management in this MMO. Did they ever actually play this game?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Seriously, I just hope that this rips a giant hole into the purse of the publisher so that the ones that are to blame for this stupid business model get fired for their idiocy.
Sorry but it is likely doing the opposite and causing their purse to explode with cash. Welcome to the new generation of pay for everything gaming.

In the old days you brought the game and that was that. Some MMORPGs needed a fee but that was to cover running costs.

Now you buy the game, pay a fee, have to buy the rest of the game (in small units that have inflated costs) and to even do well in the game you need to buy in game goods. This is what most XO and PS4 games will be like and even Nintendo is looking into it.

Level 4
Welcome to the new generation of pay for everything gaming./QUOTE]

I disagree. There's nothing pure in the world or in gaming. It's up to the consumer on how he or she wants to spend his or her money. There are plenty of MMOs. Expect to find most MMORPGs that require a fee and the buying of game-extras to be a population of "hardcore" or those who do not do much besides play the game (so a large % of children). Same can go for many free-to-play games, yet these players are much more casual. You don't see as many max leveled players in Champion of Regnum than you do in WoW.

It's the consumer's choice on what type of experience he or she wants.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It's up to the consumer on how he or she wants to spend his or her money.
Yes but most consumers are pretty stupid sadly. They already use services like Wonga and Pounds 2 Pocket which had 6000% APR before the government introduced caps. Charging for everything in a game is an easy way to make money and sadly idiots do pay. Forget studying and getting a degree in science or engineering, just write a buggy inefficient and poorly balanced video game that demands payments or facebook requests to get anywhere and then be ready to order yourself a new Ferrari or three.

It's not like you can just pull out an MMO and then get millionaire by that. Most MMO releases die within the first two years without noticable profit, as the production cost of MMOs is much higher compared to normal games. Usually, when a subscription based MMO goes F2P, that means that the majority of the developement teams moved on to other projects.

Browser games are a different story, though. The success of browser games is based on reaching an audience that was never accessable for games before: the 40+ generation. This generation got all the money. And since this generation most likely never touched any games before, they don't know about quality standards in gaming and are satisfied with games like Candy Crush Saga.
And this is what is the tragic thing about it: cheaply produced browsergames make billions of dollars easily compared to high quality games, which might also make huge profits, but are usually high risk aswell.
I think without proper "gaming education" of the 40+ generation, we won't see any change here in the future. Just save AAA game sequel releases with less and less quality and content. And that's what happened here: "It's Elder Scrolls... people will dig it, no matter how bad."
That works with normal games, but not with MMOs.

If it weren't for the booming indy scene and crowdfunding, I bet gaming would be dead in about a decade. I have all my hopes in the success of the latter. If crowdfunding fails, then dark times are going to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.