• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Crash] Ability Selection Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hi hivers.... i have a strange bug which always crashes wc3.

I have a lot of heroes which have a target area as selection for an ability.
I dont know why but really often i click on the ability icon and i can't move the target area. It's like locked on a random point or on an unit. Afert 1-2s later the game crashed. That's very frustrating because i dont know which event fires...and which library is the reason for it. So can anyone help me?

Here are three images which should show the problem. In the last image, i clicked on the ability and i cant move the target area!!! As i said... 1-2s later the game crashed.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Img1.jpg
    Img1.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 217
  • Img2.jpg
    Img2.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 218
  • Img3.jpg
    Img3.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 231
Level 12
Can't really tell you much without knowing the triggers you are using.
And such things are 1 of the main reasons I prefer making systems myself, instead of using other people's systems - I can't be sure if they wouldn't conflict with my triggers / other people's systems I have. (I'm using only a DDS :p)
I've seen some maps, that are like abominations - have bulks of systems attatched to them, and it's a huge mess.

Level 11
Not sure what all the spell is doing, but....

It Could be an infinite loop when casting the spell that is causing the crash. For example, a periodic event that calls a trigger which starts the same periodic event.

If you post all the triggers for the spell we might be able to find something :)

Level 13
My Signatur --> Source Code... There you can find the map!

Anyway... This problem occurs with all abilities that have a target area AND it occurs before the code of the spell start! As i said, after ONE click on the abilty and just moving the mouse. NOT if you click again and select a point or a target... It occurs before!!!!

Level 11
Hey, pred1980, maybe this will help you out, it's a list of possible warcraft 3 crashes.

Maybe you're using something like a Player >17 or Player <0? Triggering functions that have non-existing players can cause a crash.

I'm just speculating, without having looked at the map.

EDIT: Nvm, list is pretty redundant and my pointers are as well. Didn't read it through.

It probably has to do with the objects/units or it is just wc3/your computer. Has anyone else reported the crash?

Try going into a default melee map and try to do the same with 'Blizzard'. See if you get the same crash after testing it for a long time. If you do, then chances are that it is a problem on your end or wc3's end.

Otherwise, make sure you haven't done too many hacky things with the command button positions and make sure you don't have any faulty textures/models. Opening up the AoE selection doesn't actually trigger an event in game, so I highly doubt that it has to do with your code.

Level 13
Yes, some other frieds had this problem too. It only occurs sometimes but every time with using an ability with a target area. I don't think its a problem with the code of each spell because it happends as i said before you select a target or point.

I think one of the systems is the reason, but i dont know HOW to find which one it is. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.