• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Contest is paused and will resume and be fixed after the terraining challenge.
The Hive Workshop Terrain Contest

About
This contest is about showing your skills in terraining. You must follow the requirements below. To win, you must create the best scenery you can.
Contest status
Awaiting approval

Rules

Model Info
You may use models. There is no limitations on what models you can use, besides you can only use models from The Hive Workshop.
No creating your own models.
No size limitations.
Does not need animations.
Points counted off if you can walk through models in game (Unless it's meant to be).

Map Info
You must use the demo map (Provided at the bottom of the post).
Do not extend the demo map's map bounds.
Must be playable (test it and make sure it actually works!).
You can change the tileset to whatever you want.
No creating your own tilesets.

Introduction Info
Terraining is all about surprising the eye. Be creative in your intro to the map (Introductions are not required).
Introductions has some nice bonuses you might like (Stated at the bottom of the post).

Trigger Info/General Making
Using triggers in terraining is very essential, you must have at least two (2) triggers.
You will lose a vote for each trigger you lack.
Bonus if triggers are in Jass.

Adventurer Info
When terraining, you must consider the pathing. To test this, I have added an Adventurer. This will be used in judging to make sure a tourist can at least see part of the scenery.

Theme Info
No theme! Create anything you like. Use your imagination to get the best results. Can't think of anything? Google, the most powerful search engine on the web!

Screenshot Info
You must take one screenshot without the Adventurer to present with your terrain. Make sure this shows the best of your work, because it will be a big part in the judging.

Specific Contest Rules
Nothing can violate the rules listed above.
Make your work original and unseen. I love surprises!
Post your terrain here when your done.
You may not submit more than one entry.
Post here to enter contest.
You must post your work before the time limit (will be submitted if this contest is approved).
Don't play rough.
Watch your language.
Do not collect $200.
Do not pass go.

Poll Info
A poll will determine who wins.
If one or more people have the same amount of votes, they will go into overtime. In overtime, the tied contestants make another piece of terrain work, but much smaller. This will be on a 32 x 32 map (prepared at the bottom), and the time limit will be short.
Your work will not be in the poll if you do not use the demo map.
Voters will look on the following things to vote on:
Originality, looks, creativity, screenshot, and where the Adventurer can go.

Rewards
+50 Rep (First)
+30 Rep (Second)
+20 Rep (Third)
+5 Rep (Contesting)
+5 Rep (First one to submit)
+5 Rep (Customized Loading Screen)
+5 Rep (Triggered Introduction)
+2 Rep (If you follow all the rules)
+2 Rep (If triggers in Jass or vJass)

Deadline and Other Info
The deadline will be (pending on when contest is approved or not)
The poll will be made on (pending on when contest is approved or not)
Read the rules before you post a question!
If using models, give the links to ALL OF THEM!
Rules may change if a VALID reason is stated.
Download the demo map here->View attachment THW's Terrain Contest Map.w3x

When showing your finished work you will do this:

(Your username)
(Your Screenshot here)
(The download link here)
(Models/skins used LINKS (MUST PROVIDE LINKS TO ALL MODELS YOU USED))
(Comments)

Registered Contesters

-=Post to Enter=-

If I forgot something or if you have questions, use the thread, please don't pm me because other people may have the same question:wink:

Last edited:
Level 13
Lol I can tell this one has a few rules based off of mine :smile:. Ok ill try to help.

1)First of all, the trigger part in the rules is just quite dumb.

2)Before I go any further, the rep thing is crazy. The mods will have to keep up with all of that.

3)You dont disscuss info about third party tools like WEU. With weu, I believe you can pick more tilesets which again is a disadvantage.

4) Also, when posting your work, "(Models/skins used LINKS (MUST PROVIDE LINKS TO ALL MODELS YOU USED))", it says provide a link to all the models. Makes it sound like skins/icons are less important and you dont have to link.

Level 34
I like the idea of making it an actual map, not just screens. I think you should just re-do this after the other Terrain challenge is done.

Level 2
ok ill keep it up and wait, i can change the rep thing easily, i didnt know how much rep is a lot, and how much is small, and what the usual rewards were. but right now, im just gonna pause it for a few months, then after the terraining challenge is over, ill fix up the rules

btw parrothead, how did u put the rules and stuff in boxes, i thought they where quotes, but i guess not >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.