• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tauer's Models 2.0

Level 39
Still feels a little bit static (the head movements are eerily in unison with the body movements, which makes it look strange). Not sure if there's much that can be improved, though. It's more than passable. :)

Good point, I gave his head some more unique movement.

A few more polies on the boots would make him look way better, right now it seems that he is wearing big brown socks instead of leather boots.

There's nothing else to complain about though, awesome work!

That's actually kinda deliberate. If you look at the WoD model, he also has those lame patchwork shoes :p

latest

I'd like to thank you, Tauer. Your work is always so amazing and true to the source material (WoW-inspired characters and their models). Thanks for sharing all of this with us, it's all truly amazing!

Thanks, and you're welcome. I glad you guys like my models, makes making them a lot more rewarding ;)

Did some tweaking on Stand - 1 and started on Stand - 2:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• stand2_01.gif
    stand2_01.gif
    4.1 MB · Views: 515
  • stand1_02.gif
    stand1_02.gif
    2.8 MB · Views: 554
Level 39
Sweet work, much better! For Stand - 2, maybe make him lift his arm a big more, let the axe rest a bit higher. The action seems a bit short now.

Yeah, they do tend to look short. But the same applies for vanilla models. I think it's just the way these models are animated. The Blademaster for example, he has that sitting animation where he sits down for like a second or two and then stands up again.

An alternate stand animation:

attachment.php

For cinematic purposes I guess.

EDIT:

attachment.php

Oh walk cycle, how I loathe thee. Still needs work.

EDIT 2:

Stand ready:

attachment.php

I might have to delete his belt skull, it's causing a ton of clipping issues.

Attachments

• stand_second_01.gif
    stand_second_01.gif
    2.3 MB · Views: 492
  • walk_01.gif
    walk_01.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 513
  • stand_ready_01.gif
    stand_ready_01.gif
    2.8 MB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Level 39
The walk cycle actually looks pretty great, as are the rest of these new animations. It's coming along very well!

Thanks! :) I made the walk cycle a little more bouncy. He wasn't jumping enough, compared to standard WC3 animations.

WIP of attack animation:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm gonna try my best to finish all animations today.

I really love working on these models. A 1000 ideas are going through my head right now, for models I wanna make.
I've been considering picking up the Clan Grunt series again and giving them HD remakes, starting with the Frostwolf grunt. Just because I REALLY enjoyed making the texture for Durotan.
Also would love to make Ner'zhul and Gul'Dan.
And then I have a campaign that I've been wanting to make for years, that I'm also considering starting on.

Not to mention all my unfinished models.. So much to do, so little time...

Actually I have a ton of free-time lately. Yay!

Attachments

• attack1_01.gif
    attack1_01.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 401
  • attack1_02.gif
    attack1_02.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 387
Level 39
Okay, I'm sorry to say that I'm not a fan of that attack animation. Feels abrupt and very weak - same idea as when you first started on the Grom stuff. It ends too quickly - give it more of a swing, imo.

Yeah, getting that follow-through right is always tricky. Made a few tweaks:

attachment.php

Good to hear about your plans! Looking forward to all of that, as long as you remember Zul'jin! :p

Don't worry, I won't ;) Although I might start over on the texture since I wasn't that satisfied with it.

Attachments

• attack1_03.gif
    attack1_03.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 377
Level 49
Yeah, that's much better. Maybe not entirely perfect yet, but I'm not sure what other tips to give. It looks satisfying and good, so unless you feel you can improve it further I'd say it's excellent as it is. :)

And good to hear! Do what you think is right. I liked it, but I'm just a huge fan of everything you do so maybe I'm not the best source for that information. :p

Level 2
Your models (including Durotan) are really amazing and goes really well with the Warcraft 3 style! Grunt series would be real nice but I am pretty sure that you can make an amazing Gul'dan and Ner'zhul! The current default Warcraft 3 Gul'dan is really outdated compared to Gul'dan's current style, and there was no Ner'zhul in the default game; they would be real nice additions in my opinion. And looking forward to have Durotan in my game! :))

Level 21
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=74594/durotan#modelviewer:10+0

I have been digging around too for a other Durotan, but it doesn't seem like it does match the quality and awesomeness of your model Tauer.
Too be honest I love your model compared to it more Tauer, and even your Grommash/Garrosh model is amazing too.

Here is it if you are interesting;
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/ab9b/4e6pmwh21o96x8yfg.jpg

Another Animation too for kinda like cinematic as well;
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/15/2f/a1/152fa1dbc923d525b83d2b5d4fb290fc.jpg

Level 39
Your models (including Durotan) are really amazing and goes really well with the Warcraft 3 style! Grunt series would be real nice but I am pretty sure that you can make an amazing Gul'dan and Ner'zhul! The current default Warcraft 3 Gul'dan is really outdated compared to Gul'dan's current style, and there was no Ner'zhul in the default game; they would be real nice additions in my opinion. And looking forward to have Durotan in my game! :))

Thanks :) I'm glad you find my models useful. Gul'Dan is definately on my to do list. Same with Ner'zhul.

I actually agree here. Seeing your take on the mighty Warlock will be amazing. Plus, you could practice particles. :O

True. I am really hopeless with particles. Problem is that the only way to really test them is ingame. None of the other viewers show them 100% correctly as far as I know. It makes it very hard to tweak :/
But yeah, could be good practice for particles. I'm gonna need a lot of those when I get to Sargeras :p

I have been digging around too for a other Durotan, but it doesn't seem like it does match the quality and awesomeness of your model Tauer.
Too be honest I love your model compared to it more Tauer, and even your Grommash/Garrosh model is amazing too.

I've seen Jhotam's Durotan around before. It's pretty cool, very WC3-like. He's made some of the other WoD Warlords as well if I recall correctly.

WIP of Attack 2:

attachment.php

attachment.php

The attack animations are proving challenging to make on this one. It's always the damn walk cycle and the attack animations that are the worst.

Also made some contrast/highlights adjustments to the texture. And green version. Orcs should be green. Looks a lot more WC3-like now.

Attachments

• attack2_02.gif
    attack2_02.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 726
  • attack2_01.gif
    attack2_01.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 745
Thanks :) I'm glad you find my models useful. Gul'Dan is definately on my to do list. Same with Ner'zhul.

True. I am really hopeless with particles. Problem is that the only way to really test them is ingame. None of the other viewers show them 100% correctly as far as I know. It makes it very hard to tweak :/
But yeah, could be good practice for particles. I'm gonna need a lot of those when I get to Sargeras :p

I've seen Jhotam's Durotan around before. It's pretty cool, very WC3-like. He's made some of the other WoD Warlords as well if I recall correctly.

WIP of Attack 2:

attachment.php

attachment.php

The attack animations are proving challenging to make on this one. It's always the damn walk cycle and the attack animations that are the worst.

Also made some contrast/highlights adjustments to the texture. And green version. Orcs should be green. Looks a lot more WC3-like now.

The Animation is Beautiful @.@
The Whole Model Looks AWESOME!!!!!
Not Sure if It's just me, the Right Leg/Foot should Either stay it's own position or Should Step Forward abit?

Anyway @.@ It's so Beautiful
giphy.gif

Really Hope someday I can Make something Like this too

Level 39
Try to give his off-hand a bit more bounce during and after the swing. Treat it like a tail.

Yeah, good suggestion. Need to do something about those arms.

The Animation is Beautiful @.@
The Whole Model Looks AWESOME!!!!!
Not Sure if It's just me, the Right Leg/Foot should Either stay it's own position or Should Step Forward abit?

Anyway @.@ It's so Beautiful
giphy.gif

Really Hope someday I can Make something Like this too

You are right, he should move his foot.
And thank you :) Of course you can make something like this, better even! Practice, practice, practice :p
You're already way ahead of where I was when I first got into modeling. You should try doing some free-hand texturing.

Glad to see that u r back , bro . and ur skills had improved a lot with ur animation . good work . wish u could finished ur other great models soon .

Hey bro, long time no see :D
I will try. First Durotan, then I'll see which one to finish next.
What about you? I really wanna see all those delicious models you're holding on to.

Speaking of Ner'zhul and Gul'dan;

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/7e47/5himpkjyhjjmppifg.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/df13/ramz6b1pubxcojbfg.jpg

So yeah can you keep the brown Durotan?
The green version could be when he meets up with Orgrim Doomhammer.

Yeah, those were the Jhotam models I was talking about. Very WC3-like, but I like doing my own textures myself.

I'll release both green and brown texture.

Alright guys, I won't be able to finish animations today. I gave his arms IK-solvers, which makes them quite a bitch to control when animating. I've decided to delete the IK-solvers on his arms and animate them with FK instead. Unfortunately this means I have to go through the animations and reanimate the arms.
It'll be worth it though, with the extra control I get over his arms.

I need to remind myself next time - IK for legs, FK for arms.

I can however give you a better look at the green skin texture as compensation for the delay:

attachment.php

Attachments

• GreenTexture.jpg
    GreenTexture.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 1,307
Yeah, good suggestion. Need to do something about those arms.

You are right, he should move his foot.
And thank you :) Of course you can make something like this, better even! Practice, practice, practice :p
You're already way ahead of where I was when I first got into modeling. You should try doing some free-hand texturing.

Hey bro, long time no see :D
I will try. First Durotan, then I'll see which one to finish next.
What about you? I really wanna see all those delicious models you're holding on to.

Yeah, those were the Jhotam models I was talking about. Very WC3-like, but I like doing my own textures myself.

I'll release both green and brown texture.

Alright guys, I won't be able to finish animations today. I gave his arms IK-solvers, which makes them quite a bitch to control when animating. I've decided to delete the IK-solvers on his arms and animate them with FK instead. Unfortunately this means I have to go through the animations and reanimate the arms.
It'll be worth it though, with the extra control I get over his arms.

I need to remind myself next time - IK for legs, FK for arms.

I can however give you a better look at the green skin texture as compensation for the delay:

attachment.php

I intend to start making Freehand Texture, But, I just Dunno how to Get Started, I need the Trigger for me to get started, I am Like Aimlessly whenever I try

A Demo on how people work on it would definitely help alot,

Level 39
Great! Looking great so far ;)

Dat wolf...

Wow! It's awesome! Good job!

Thanks guys ;)

I intend to start making Freehand Texture, But, I just Dunno how to Get Started, I need the Trigger for me to get started, I am Like Aimlessly whenever I try

A Demo on how people work on it would definitely help alot,

Hmm, I don't know if I could make a good tutorial, but I guess I could try filming my texturing process next time.

I fixed all the arm animations and got started on the Spell animation:

attachment.php

Attachments

• spell_01.gif
    spell_01.gif
    2.5 MB · Views: 576
Level 2
The progress is going really fast! Durotan is really nice and I am sure that Garona will be amazing too! How about a Doomplate Thrall? I know you said that his latest lore is unexciting (I agree with you there, Warcraft 3 and the Lord of Clans book Thrall was way better). Just a thought! :)

Level 21
http://wowgoldpig.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/garona-halforcen.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/wow.joystiq.com/media/2013/08/garonahalforcenwowtcg580.jpg
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090521160347/wowwiki/images/9/99/WoW15CoverArtwork.jpg
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads...arona_halforcen_world_of_warcraft_vs_ogre.jpg
http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/wow.gamepedia.com/5/51/MedivhGarona_TCG.jpg

Garona Halforcen was one of the Orcs that went through a lot and dissed by her fellow people being a Halfbreed and not fit to do anything.
Garona too was breed from a Orc making love to a Draenei, and yes it happened and Garona was born.

Still too Tauer, I can't wait to see your model in the Warcraft III, because there is some other Garona models and are you gonna add custom models to Garona?
I suggest get to have a stealth animation and then some spells into your own like a dagger strike thing, throwing a smock bomb, and a final one spell too. Depends on what you do, I do enjoy your models a lot man.
Keep up the great work!

Level 39
OH MY!!!

Garona is looking good Tauer!
I suggest using the art picks I provided to you.

I'm actually taking inspiration from the official Samwise concept art:

latest

I'm reffering to the golden parts. And another nice progress!

Ah, yeah. Actually, I originally made them silver but I thought gold looked more fitting. Plus it's gold in the concept art.

Some more progress:

attachment.php

Texturing female features is proving more challenging than I thought.

Attachments

• body.gif
    body.gif
    5.6 MB · Views: 730

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Can't wait to see how are you going to make her weapons.

I like how you applied real-world proportions to the torso instead of that wasp-waistline of the samwise art.

Since I didn't comment on your Durotan model; here's it:
- I think the Walk animation cycle feels a bit stiff; WC3 units tend to "jump" a bit more when walking and are a bit more exaggerated altogether. check out the beastmaster or grunt walk cycle for an example of that
- The downwards cut attack animation jerks a bit at the lower return point. Maybe just remove a frame there to stop the Axe from bouncing upwards again?
- dat booty, tho...

Level 49
Sweet pauldrons. I think her face could use a little bit more touching up, but it's better than the previous.
By the way, I suggest you take a look at Arthas' and other WC3 models' portraits to see how they do the eyes. You've almost nailed it, but I think Blizzard cuts off the 2D plane's texture at the top to give it a slightly more emotive appearance. This is mostly true for your Durotan model, I'm not sure how you did Garona's eyes, but they look drawn into the texture.

Level 39
Since I didn't comment on your Durotan model; here's it:
- I think the Walk animation cycle feels a bit stiff; WC3 units tend to "jump" a bit more when walking and are a bit more exaggerated altogether. check out the beastmaster or grunt walk cycle for an example of that
- The downwards cut attack animation jerks a bit at the lower return point. Maybe just remove a frame there to stop the Axe from bouncing upwards again?
- dat booty, tho...

Hmm, well some people say the walk animation is too bouncy, some say not enough. I guess you can't please everyone.
I'll take a look at the attack animation.

Sweet pauldrons. I think her face could use a little bit more touching up, but it's better than the previous.
By the way, I suggest you take a look at Arthas' and other WC3 models' portraits to see how they do the eyes. You've almost nailed it, but I think Blizzard cuts off the 2D plane's texture at the top to give it a slightly more emotive appearance. This is mostly true for your Durotan model, I'm not sure how you did Garona's eyes, but they look drawn into the texture.

Yeah, I'm still touching up on the face while texturing the other parts.
If you're referring to the iris, yes I'm using a plane for those. Not exactly sure what you mean about cutting it off? You mean like making it not completely round?

A little progress, added some more TC:

attachment.php

Attachments

• body2.gif
    body2.gif
    5.4 MB · Views: 567