• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #14 - Racial Settlements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Thanks Flad, and when I said "final theme" i didn't mean to say that it was my entry, just that I wasn't going to switch it around anymore. But thanks nonetheless and ill be sure to add those to the next one.

And to Riot, thanks a lot. And on another note, ill try and get your map to you soon, I'm pretty damn sure that I have it somewhere on my computer.

Level 11
EDIT MARCH 19: I did not manipulate the picture in photoshop or anything like that, NO filter was added. I have uploaded the map, just in case.

And well, i was going to choose Troll race at first, i always wanted to make this sort of buildings placed in mountains but then i though.. how the fuck are trolls going to climb to higher buildings of the mountain? So then i choose everyone's barren's flying favorite race! Thank you all for your criticism!

Sup' guys! Final entry, i think. I went for Harpy race:

483588_10150633534544143_629724142_9303674_1926597675_n.jpg

And here are some WIPS:

420992_10150633535424143_629724142_9303680_1356906436_n.jpg

419540_10150633534954143_629724142_9303676_1329143416_n.jpg

485280_10150633546554143_629724142_9303738_1348351509_n.jpg

484759_10150633534069143_629724142_9303672_844966111_n.jpg

I think it is kinda too bright... but well, i won't have time to do another update since i may not get online again until April. Hope you enjoy, i am still a noob at this!

Creits:

Ultimate Terrain Map and Sun by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Be it my shitty resolution on this laptop or the glow from the mantelpiece kerosene lamp that I keep lit for artsy reasons, but it looks like you applied some sort of color filter. Like the sophia effect or something.

And really, harpies? It's Durotar alright (no second guessing there) and you wouldn't have forced a frown from me if you went with, say orcs, trolls or even quilboars actually given a bit of margin for imagination. But I would have to give this a full cavity search to glean any piece that ties in with a harpy concept, and it'll probably be covered in bile and tissue fluid.

Level 22
Be it my shitty resolution on this laptop or the glow from the mantelpiece kerosene lamp that I keep lit for artsy reasons, but it looks like you applied some sort of color filter. Like the sophia effect or something.

And really, harpies? It's Durotar alright (no second guessing there) and you wouldn't have forced a frown from me if you went with, say orcs, trolls or even quilboars actually given a bit of margin for imagination. But I would have to give this a full cavity search to glean any piece that ties in with a harpy concept, and it'll probably be covered in bile and tissue fluid.

From what I can see no effects were added... But I agree with you, ten fold.

Also, he left a lot of doodads floating in his final.

the troll man - I like the environment and all but the racial part is still sorely missing. I'm assuming you're still planning for some pretty radical changes.
harpies - may i suggest a lower brightness, a waaay large image size (if possible) and just like...more obviousness to the harpy part.
night elves - i'd remove the moon. look outside at the moon some time and you will find quite quickly that any wc3 doodads simply are not like it. quite cool otherwise though. Most definitely best on the racial theme so far.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
The sun is way too concentrated. I find that the best way to get authentic sunlight is to do it gradually increasing in intensity with something like sun flares. Kind of vital that you stick to a mild and not too vibrant color. Since you'll be stacking them, you don't want it getting too intense. Place one by the mountains, then gradually place them closer to the camera in a linear progression.

If you follow example 1, it'll appear as in example 2. 1 through 4 level of intensity; 1 being the most intense.

Examples
ex2.pngex1.png
And use a different fog color. Bright yellow is a bitch to work with. Tiles might not overgo as well, lighting will stack in a shitty manner and everything looks like snot. Try some really shy fog color. Light blue, gloomy purple, something a bit more natural and friendly to work with.

Level 14
Thank you so much for the suggestions! Since its hard to create the village, after i put in clouds and fog effects (i cant click the doodads, always the big effect is selected) , I will do the lightning stuff later.
I wanted to create windy weather first, and the sand in the air would have fit to it... But then i changed to the sunset, so i should change the yellow fog too.

Any ideas for an ogre statue/altar?

Okay, this is my final entry.

attachment.php

Credits:
eubz for his Forest Terraining Map
UTM
Deolrin for Night Elf Decorations
GreyArchon for his Warden Statue

Special Thanks:
fladdermasken and Amargaard for giving me suggestions and criticism

Also, I would really like to say THANKS to every member of Hive Workshop community, for teaching me everything I know about World Editor.

Attachments

• TC14RS - ElvesFinal.JPG
    TC14RS - ElvesFinal.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,419
Level 15
Changed concept a bit, further developed environment. Will add more structures, some unites perhaps, more effects and some light effects ( they are hard >.<)

Please give some constructive criticism if possbile. (Btw I am not using the UTM, it's wayy too heavy.)

Attachments

• WIP1.1.2.JPG
    WIP1.1.2.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 149
Level 49
What do you mean, way too heavy? As in, it takes too long to download? Or what?
You're missing out on a lot by not using the UTM. ><

@Oziris, it looks nice, but hardly anything like a racial settlement. Maybe show some signs of civilization? A burning fire, a unit that belongs to the race(I'm guessing rock golems\crystal golems, so try this perhaps?), etc.

Level 22
IMO, UTM sucks, it usually doesn't have the models I want to use, and on top of that they are always scaled improperly... If I wanted to edit my doodads, I would have imported them and made them myself.

So far imo, Matija wins, L2Love 2nd, Oziris 3rd.

Windu, get rid of the Blizzard capony trees. And change the tileset variation to something like dirt + dirt rough.

Level 15
Ty all for advice, I will definitely use more imports from those u suggested. I also decided to change perspective so those useless rocks wouldn't be seen. Here is a plague wagon loading bay. :p

P.S. Stopping to post so many things... now.

Attachments

• WIP1.1.3.JPG
    WIP1.1.3.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 187
Level 49
I really think that the sky could use some extra work. Clouds, moon, glows, maybe even aurora borealis... Most of those can be found in the UTM. I can't say that I can import the models(because I don't think I have the latest version of UTM, and if I do, I have no idea which files are which), but surely someone more experienced than me in such matters could help you out.
Oh, and here's the Refuge in Ruins terrain that Pharaoh_ was talking about. I certainly recommend you to use the webs from that map instead of the green ones you're using right now.
And finally, you should get rid of that "game view settings" thing and perhaps add a big, black border around the image. Just for better presentation aesthetics.

Level 22
And here is my Entry for now:

If nothing else is submitted, this is my Final Entry for the contest.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plague Cult Settlement :

112173d1332431215-terraining-contest-14-racial-settlements-wip1.1.5.jpg

Credits:
SantoRayo[iP] -> Puddle model
Fingolfin -> Leech model
JetFangInferno -> Posion Stream model
Callahan -> Radioactive Cloud model

Special Thanks to Pharaoh_ for being helpful and awesome.

I agree about the webs, other than that this is really awesome. The fog and snow are good additions.

Level 15
And here is my Final Entry :

Plague Cult Settlement :

attachment.php

Credits:
SantoRayo[iP] -> Puddle model
Fingolfin -> Leech model
JetFangInferno -> Posion Stream model
Callahan -> Radioactive Cloud model
oGre_ -> Web models

Special Thanks to Pharaoh_ and Deolrinfor being helpful and awesome.

Attachments

• WIP1.1.61.jpg
    WIP1.1.61.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 1,375

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
The snow helps fog the image and decrease visibility of all the things that make Blizzard models suck.
The fog can take care of that all by itself.

Region weather effects are some of the worst features in the editor. Far worse than any of the textures. The idea of it is pleasant enough, sure, I can vouch for that. But this doesn't tie in with the fog at all. It looks like someone went apeshit with a 2-hole paper punch.

Level 22
The fog can take care of that all by itself.

Region weather effects are some of the worst features in the editor. Far worse than any of the textures. The idea of it is pleasant enough, sure, I can vouch for that. But this doesn't tie in with the fog at all. It looks like someone went apeshit with a 2-hole paper punch.

Well. I think his terrain was in need of some sort of ambience other than the fog, wouldn't you agree? And if not snow what then?

The idea for a moon and skylights by Deolrin was a good one.

windu, pleeeeease get rid of the snow, it looks a lot better without it. I like the fact that your blight does not look like shit though really

kari, that's pretty nice lighting. but perhaps consider changing the sky to a stormsphere/cloud artificial one with foggy sky backing or w/e people use these days. i'd also like to see a bit more groundwork concerning the environment. and yeah, the torches look a bit strange :)

oziris, i really don't know. it literally does not look a racial settlement at all to me. i personally didn't know what deepholm even WAS either. and after looking it up it kind of begs the question - is the..underground continent of the earth elementals (or whatever it even was, correct me if i'm wrong) even a racial settlement really? an archway with..that stuff..looks more like a ruined civilization kind of thing than anything. I really don't know - do rock elementals (or whatever else 'lives' there?) even have settlements?
which isn't to say it looks pretty cool by the way! although a bit empty in the left/right background areas

I don't get why people vote for a theme and then don't participate. It really makes me angry and then I have to make something I don't like, hmpf.

New entry.

WIP1

Another entry, maybe my final one if someone doesn't have any good suggestions on how to improve it, I think I'm done.

Attachments

• Maybe Final Troll.jpg
    Maybe Final Troll.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 1,149
Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
That lighting is looking fine in the second shot.

Not entirely sure about the black undertone though, try beige or some blue gradient.

And ditch that rock by the sunken wharf.

edit
Just thought I'd offer my services as a judge since I won't have time to submit an entry anyways.

Last edited:
Level 22
I don't get why people vote for a theme and then don't participate. It really makes me angry and then I have to make something I don't like, hmpf.

New entry.

WIP1

Another entry, maybe my final one if someone doesn't have any good suggestions on how to improve it, I think I'm done.

The lighting is very nice, but waaay to powerful in my opinion. It should definitely be more faint.

Basically the same as what fladder said. :S

Level 14
This is like my final entry. Im not sure how is it really going... I upload the picture, and give credits to the models. Is UTM enough for the models imported to it?

Also the clouds are so far, that ingame you cant see the farther parts of it. Is it really necessary to make an ingame capture?

Do I have to send the map to anyone?

:goblin_jawdrop:

Attachments

• WIP5.PNG
    WIP5.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,556
Status
Not open for further replies.