[Log in / Register]
| News | Chat | Pastebin | Donations | Tutorials | Rules | Forums |
| Maps | Skins | Icons | Models | Spells | Tools | Jass | Packs | Hosted Projects | Starcraft II Modding | Starcraft II Resources | Galaxy Wiki |
(Keeps Hive Alive)
Go Back   The Hive Workshop > Town Hall > The Arena > Contest Archive

Contest Archive All successfully completed contests are archived in this forum.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:39 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered User Belgarath
User

Belgarath is just really nice (373)Belgarath is just really nice (373)Belgarath is just really nice (373)Belgarath is just really nice (373)
azurot, i'd leave the camera as it is but just reduce the height right up there very slightly. the textures are quite stretched etc, little details and all. or raise the camera z by a few bits
Old 03-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered User stonneash
Hajar Efreit

stonneash is just really nice (304)stonneash is just really nice (304)
i would like to join
my forest\jungle is something that i really pushed the levels and worked hard,suggestions please
Attached Thumbnails
trees-forest.jpg  
Old 03-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #48 (permalink)
Forum Moderator fladdermasken
G̵͟͞l̛͟i̡̛͞͡͏t

Community Moderator

fladdermasken has a brilliant future (1571)fladdermasken has a brilliant future (1571)fladdermasken has a brilliant future (1571)fladdermasken has a brilliant future (1571)fladdermasken has a brilliant future (1571)fladdermasken has a brilliant future (1571)
Terraining Contest #13: Shi'luan Hydro-powered Institute of Technology - A testimone to the prime of the shi'li culture. My ability to title my terrains is soooooooo nonexistent. (Terraining Contest thirteenth edition) Terraining Contest #11 - Winner: Battlefields 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonneash View Post
suggestions please
Feedback in 8 words: Try not to fling ugly textures at us.

Sure, I'll elaborate. Most models you're using are generally nice and decorous, but up close they really look disgusting. Part of what you strive for in terraining is pulling attention away from this, and sticking them where they're basically highlighted is a slip in the wrong direction.

By the way, which race are you portraying?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:41 PM   #49 (permalink)
Hajar Efreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fladdermasken View Post
Feedback in 8 words: Try not to fling ugly textures at us.

Sure, I'll elaborate. Most models you're using are generally nice and decorous, but up close they really look disgusting. Part of what you strive for in terraining is pulling attention away from this, and sticking them where they're basically highlighted is a slip in the wrong direction.

By the way, which race are you portraying?
forest trolls in there natural habitat, i will browse the net for some HD&Q FT models
please tell me egzactlly what u wont me to fix\add\delete\move\replace??
Old 03-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #50 (permalink)
Forum Moderator fladdermasken
G̵͟͞l̛͟i̡̛͞͡͏t

Community Moderator

fladdermasken has a brilliant future (1571)fladdermasken has a brilliant future (1571)fladdermasken has a brilliant future (1571)fladdermasken has a brilliant future (1571)fladdermasken has a brilliant future (1571)fladdermasken has a brilliant future (1571)
Terraining Contest #13: Shi'luan Hydro-powered Institute of Technology - A testimone to the prime of the shi'li culture. My ability to title my terrains is soooooooo nonexistent. (Terraining Contest thirteenth edition) Terraining Contest #11 - Winner: Battlefields 
Fern (replace, relocate, recolor), grass in the foreground (... exterminate), palm in the foreground (relocate slightly, possibly rescale). Then I'd probably mow the hills a tad, clear some space. Also I guess you're cropping this quite alot, you might consider leaving some space for the head motive.
Quote:
forest trolls in there natural habitat
Try picking up on some inspiration from Hinterlands, might do you some good.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered User xorkatoss
woot just reached 400 rep

xorkatoss is a glorious beacon of light (420)xorkatoss is a glorious beacon of light (420)xorkatoss is a glorious beacon of light (420)xorkatoss is a glorious beacon of light (420)xorkatoss is a glorious beacon of light (420)xorkatoss is a glorious beacon of light (420)
might join this contest for fun, are total noob terrainers allowed to join? :P
Old 03-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered User M0rbid
Defender of Sith

M0rbid has a brilliant future (1634)M0rbid has a brilliant future (1634)M0rbid has a brilliant future (1634)M0rbid has a brilliant future (1634)M0rbid has a brilliant future (1634)M0rbid has a brilliant future (1634)M0rbid has a brilliant future (1634)M0rbid has a brilliant future (1634)
Former Staff Member: This user used to be on the Hive Workshop staff. Texturing Contest #21 - Winner: Faceless One: Combining the elements of the default Faceless One appearance, with the one from World of Warcraft, this skin was publicly embraced and rightfully given the first place. A skin by M0rbid. Texturing Contest #20: Nobleman of Westermar — It's a texture for Tarrasque's Retributor; in the twentieth edition of The Hive Workshop's Texturing Contest, held at the Arena, users had to reskin a user-made model. 
Everyone is.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #53 (permalink)

xorkatoss is a glorious beacon of light (420)xorkatoss is a glorious beacon of light (420)xorkatoss is a glorious beacon of light (420)xorkatoss is a glorious beacon of light (420)xorkatoss is a glorious beacon of light (420)xorkatoss is a glorious beacon of light (420)
well here is my progress so far:
murloc-village.jpg
any suggestions?
Old 03-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered User Amargaard
Roleplaying Artist

Amargaard is a glorious beacon of light (590)Amargaard is a glorious beacon of light (590)Amargaard is a glorious beacon of light (590)Amargaard is a glorious beacon of light (590)Amargaard is a glorious beacon of light (590)Amargaard is a glorious beacon of light (590)Amargaard is a glorious beacon of light (590)
@xorkatoss:
Well, I would make some river in the foreground, tint the grass to match the ground, add more doodads (more grass, rocks, mushrooms, plants, lily pads, cattails), make some visible background terrain, and finally add a matching fog :)
Old 03-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amargaard View Post
@xorkatoss:
Well, I would make some river in the foreground, tint the grass to match the ground, add more doodads (more grass, rocks, mushrooms, plants, lily pads, cattails), make some visible background terrain, and finally add a matching fog :)
thnx for your help:D
btw this is the first time i enter a terraining contest and this is also my first attempt so that's the reason it's so bad xD
Old 03-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered User RiotZ
Thick As A Brick

RiotZ is just really nice (367)RiotZ is just really nice (367)RiotZ is just really nice (367)RiotZ is just really nice (367)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorkatoss View Post
well here is my progress so far:
Attachment 111664
any suggestions?
Shorter grass, lots of it, small enough where it looks realistic. Get rid of that tent it's for Barrens terrain sets and looks cheesy with Murlocs. Also, Murlocs wouldn't have walls, they would use their natural swampy environment as their advantageous home, if it were me I would have started this as a elevated chunk of land in a dense, foggy swamp with an encampment of Murlocs using a large tree as their home.

Stick to Sunken models.

Edit: I think I'm doing Humans, living in a port city by the sea bordering the ocean between Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms (Lordaeron and Azeroth).
Old 03-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #57 (permalink)
Hajar Efreit

Quote:
any suggestions?
use the utm, there u could find a beter wall,tent,watch tower and a rive,and search for HQ models of murlocs
Old 03-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRiotZx View Post
Shorter grass, lots of it, small enough where it looks realistic. Get rid of that tent it's for Barrens terrain sets and looks cheesy with Murlocs. Also, Murlocs wouldn't have walls, they would use their natural swampy environment as their advantageous home, if it were me I would have started this as a elevated chunk of land in a dense, foggy swamp with an encampment of Murlocs using a large tree as their home.

Stick to Sunken models.

Edit: I think I'm doing Humans, living in a port city by the sea bordering the ocean between Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms (Lordaeron and Azeroth).
thnx for all the suggestions!! but im sort of trying to make this:
murloc-village.png
well im not trying to copy every detail of that, but im mostly basing it on that pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonneash View Post
use the utm, there u could find a beter wall,tent,watch tower and a rive,and search for HQ models of murlocs
hmm ok, ill take a look at the utm
Old 03-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered User RiotZ
Thick As A Brick

RiotZ is just really nice (367)RiotZ is just really nice (367)RiotZ is just really nice (367)RiotZ is just really nice (367)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorkatoss View Post
thnx for all the suggestions!! but im sort of trying to make this:
Attachment 111684
well im not trying to copy every detail of that, but im mostly basing it on that pic

hmm ok, ill take a look at the utm
If I were mimicking that I would get a better tent,
there are better tents here on the hive, and I would definitely scrap the wall. And use WoW Murlocs if rules allow it.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #60 (permalink)
Hajar Efreit

my forest is in progress,any suggestions are welcome and i think i should change the topic from jungle\forest trolls to something else