• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #16 - Castles/Cathedrals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 49
I still think you really need some contrasting colors. Really clear blue water should help. Have you tried using this? I also think you should try and add some more interesting colors to the environment itself - flowers, brighter and more varied trees(birches should be nice for example), shrubs, wooden benches and lightposts, maybe a small boat in the distance, a golden\silver bell in one of the buildings, various decorations on the buildings, different colored rooves(red or something), etc. The sky and lighting look really nice though.

Level 31
Great work, Stryderzero. Good to see another work done so early.

Here is another WIP of mine.
a4xV0Up.png

Level 14
@APproject: My god that is a massive scale you have going on. I remember your first WIP of just the bridge that seemed large, now the bridge is just a tiny little piece of an epic and enormous building. Nice work.

Level 24
snR2sTt.jpg

This should be WiP 6

+ added walls of the east side (I keep forgeting left and right so just go with the east)
+ added some waterfalls
+ did some experents on the sun and lightings (but not gonna finish it yet cause gonna do the walls and castle stuffs)

---------------
Nice Stryd, though the water is a little not fitting

Such laziness to crop the edges :v

I agree, o_O'

->You might want to minimize those grasses in the front... Its too large for me....
->You might want to change the wall at the back of the statues , it's not fitting for them , try using bricky walls.
->Aw well , im seeing cluster of stones there (at the left)

I would like to ask , what are you trying to do? Is it a cathedral or a Castle? Im just curious ...:)

That world tree on the left , it occupied 20% of your terrain , minimize it. Also , you might want to place more variation of trees , they are almost the same (CNP'd?).

Actually , your previous WIP is much better compared to this one , just sayin... :)
This : http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2582684-post104.html

You mean giving more saturation (colors?) . Yes yes maybe next time :D
I dont know about the flowers , since there is no right place to place the environment stuffs , vines maybe , but flowers and grasses?
I already tried adding small pirate boat at the front of the third building and i feel ... unrealistic? Theres no place for boating because the place is closed , i mean the bridge block the waterways...
About the roofs , maybe Stones and Sword roofs will work...

Random Stuff i did long ago...
It is just a reskinned water plane. I got the texture from here [http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...-water-223443/?prev=search=water&d=list&r=20]] Credits to WerbackIII.

Download link below...

Ah sad i cant do things like that , very huge... :D
Even it is not yet done , i am already seeing the image of the cathedral... Nice work! :)

Attachments

• [btw]_waterFb3.mdx
    20.3 KB · Views: 45
  • ocean_h.blp
    94.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Also, in your reply for Chenralstrasz, you made a confusion, that's my terrain :p

Well, just a new WIP. What should I change/improve? Or it's fine already? :)

Okay sorry, im just drunk.

Anyway , the mist/fog seems very strong for me , and i think you need to remove the torches , they are just ... annoying? (They really attracting my/our eyes.) Also , you might want to change you setting to day , night is not a right setting/time for your terrain. Another, you can edit the ufergrass model , you must unflag "unshaded" and "unfogged" of the material.

Nice work Stryderzero!

Oh , thanks ! :)

---

NEW WIP

-Tinted the water a bit blue-green-ish
-New Roofs for Second and Third Building...
-Fixed the Sun

WC3ScrnShot_091014_013642_02.png

Really clear blue water should help. Have you tried using this?

Ahh yes , but i dont like it :D

Last edited:
Level 34
Stryderzero, the buildings are one dominant colour. I wonder if it would be possible to add more shades, especially white, to the mix. Also banners and carpets and random things of colour. It look really good right now, but it's one big blob of grey-ish brown.

Level 24
->You might want to minimize those grasses in the front... Its too large for me....
ok then

->You might want to change the wall at the back of the statues , it's not fitting for them , try using bricky walls.
ok then

->Aw well , im seeing cluster of stones there (at the left)
Huh?, and I thought it was ok, well then, I'll try to minimize it, but too much may cause it to see the tiles

I would like to ask , what are you trying to do? Is it a cathedral or a Castle? Im just curious ...:)

Its a castle on a mountain with waterfalls
I'll name it later

Level 10
Another WIP of mine. Cathedral building is almost complete, roof and window colors may change, more details may be added, few additional buildings at sides will be built. Making surroundings will be phase two.
5y3iQBx.png

Now that is awesome!

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

^ Agreed. That place looks ancient, while the brigde looks like it was built recently.
The place looks beautiful, though.

Level 31
What is more, you may want to get rid of those vines lurking in the air, one is really zoomed and looks blurry and stretched.

EDIT: Cathedral building is complete, colors may change, perhaps few touches in the future, but right now it is solid. Total of 6019 doodads were placed by hand for cathedral building only.
X2cu6bB.png

Last edited:
Level 4
What is more, you may want to get rid of those vines lurking in the air, one is really zoomed and looks blurry and stretched.

EDIT: Cathedral building is complete, colors may change, perhaps few touches in the future, but right now it is solid. Total of 6019 doodads were placed by hand for cathedral building only.
X2cu6bB.png

Beautiful. I'm going to love seeing how this looks in an environment with lighting and such.

Level 4
The texture quality different between the bridge and the arches thereon looks a bit awkward to me, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.