• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Youtube issues, came from nowhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
I think I am about to kill something soon if I don't get this fixed.

One day, I began having problems with playing youtube videos. No lag, or slow buffering or something like this. It is only that the video sort of "flimmers" and I get squares/weird colors covering half the video, lower part of it always I believe. It stays like that a couple seconds at the most, and then it dissapears. And suddenly it happens again. I don't really find the words to describe my problem better. (not a native english speaker) If someone get what I mean, and know a solution for this, please help me. This is seriously pissing me off. It happens at random times. I also have no idea what to search for, as I don't find the right word, well, a better word than that it "flimmers".

Level 25
Do you have any issues in video games? Could be that your graphics card is broken.

I do not know if this is relevant. But I had issues couple of months ago. While playing some games (yes only some games, and only fullscreen) where the graphic driver had to restart. Screen went black and the game froze some seconds, until the driver was reset. Haven't noticed anything of this lately though.

Can post a screenshot later today.

Level 25
Have you played around in a few video games to really see if it's broken? You might get crashes or even a blue screen. If you do, then it's definitely your video card.

I have actually had like 3-4 bluescreens (while playing I believe) the last ~half a year. Haven't noticed anything lately though, but the reason for that could be that I just don't play that much anymore. And my video card got some years on it. Too bad that shit is so expensive :/

@DSG, I got two screens, and the only time it happens is on youtube videos (from what I've noticed, that is) and on both screens.

Level 25
My apologies on the double post. But thought I'd update this with a screenshot of how it looks.

2r77wiu.jpg

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Ya, that looks like a software, not a hardware issue.
How can you be sure? Random video artifacts are usually hardware related in some way. Software usually works 100% or 0%, it should not cause unreliable results.

You can rule out software completly by reinstalling flash player and testing flash player on a different browser. If you use a 64bit machine, try using a 64bit browser like IE9-64 to test as that is also different enough to rule out sofware problems.

All tests should be run with hardware acceleration turned on. If something is wrong with your graphic card it can easilly curropt video streams.

Level 15
How can you be sure? Random video artifacts are usually hardware related in some way. Software usually works 100% or 0%, it should not cause unreliable results.

You can rule out software completly by reinstalling flash player and testing flash player on a different browser. If you use a 64bit machine, try using a 64bit browser like IE9-64 to test as that is also different enough to rule out sofware problems.

All tests should be run with hardware acceleration turned on. If something is wrong with your graphic card it can easilly curropt video streams.

I occasionally get the same thing on every ATI card I've seen, it's flash :\

Level 25
I've tried reinstalling flash a couple of times now and also tried it with different browsers. Tried everything you said DSG. I doubt it is flash or software now. As my video card have been struggling earlier as well it points towards some issue with it. Will try with another video card soon.

Level 2

Try turning off hardware acceleration for flashplayer. This is usually impractical due to how inefficient the CPU is at graphic decompression from a throughput point of view but might help stop the error.

I wanna suggest the same thing like this.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Statharas, check GPU temprature. If they overheat the drivers will crash.

Temprature could also cause the video artifacts but I do not see it being possible that video playback is loading the GPU that much to causing it to overheat. If it is the case, then it will start fine and suddenly cut in and persist until the card is left to cool a while.

Level 25
I'd like to add that a new youtube issue has arised for me. Perhaps someone of you know of this as well. I am unable to fully buffer the videos, or well, they buffer fully. But I usually can't play any longer than ~1 min before the video and sound freezes, the "buffer bar" has fully buffered. And it is not like a usual "not buffered freeze" I get, it is more like the video gets "locked". I need to f5 and skip forward to where I was in the video after every minute because of this. Came from nowhere as well, is this because of that I turned of hardware acceleration?

Status
Not open for further replies.