• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Your favourite documentaries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
May it be about extra-terrestial life, a historic event or about a historical person - or whatever. Post them!

Food, Inc. - a documentary about Americas food industry.

Earthlings - a documentary about cute animals and how they are mistreaten ):

Bowling For Columbine - a documentary about Americas gun violence

Capitalism: A Love Story - a documentary about the corporate dominance in America.

Sicko - a documentary about Americas health care system.

Home - a documentary about Earths climate problems.

Jesus Camp - a documentary on kids who attend a summer camp hoping to become the next Billy Graham.

Through the Wormhole -a telivision series about the Universe, with Morgan Freeman!

So share your favourites with a brief description so I amongst others can take part and fill our brains with new information and ideas!

Level 22
Ancient aliens - not because I fall for 'everything was made by aliens' because I recently agree they go too far in their assumptions but because I learnt lots of places over the world arround this show.

UFO Hunters - because of the people they talk to and picking up more real cases than your sILLY daily 'it's a UFO' videos posted on YouTube by wannabe hoaxers. Also because some of the experiments they made ARE useful - example as it was proven a hundred times that the lights they saw at Rendlesham forest incident were NOT from the lighthouse. Or like how balloons attached in a triangle would look, or bringing a footage to CGI Animator and stuff for analysis.

Life After People - was interesting, also learnt about a lot's of places.

Before I opened to some bigger interest in mystery stuff - of course documentaries about space, the Moons of planets .

Documentaries about some natural disasters and current volcanoes and stuff.

I do watch Iceroad truckers or the other guys when I am bored for the sake of watching something \earthly\ Not sure they qualify as documentaries.

Level 12
I like a lot of Micheal Moore's documentaries on the US. He likes to point out a lot of things that are wrong, and does a good job at it.

Other then those, I liked super size me. Even though the guy put his life in danger, he made a crazy good point. Plus, it wasn't just 30 days of him eating McDonalds, it mixed in a lot of research and explanation to, well, a lot of things.

And I like a lot of the ones about the universe. There was one about a year ago on discovery science that looked at what scientists thought life could look like on other planets. I liked it more then most because it actually threw out the whole idea that every living thing in the universe need oxygen, which doesn't really happen a lot.

Level 8
Anything with David Attenborough's voice...

Otherwise I admit to liking the "bible uncovered" randomshit where they try to uncover what events make its stories get written, if they happened at all. Not sure if it's on natgeo or history channel. Hell, history in general is interesting.

Actually I used to watch quite a lot of documentaries... Then I got unlimited computer privileges.

Level 5
Anything with David Attenborough's voice...

Otherwise I admit to liking the "bible uncovered" randomshit where they try to uncover what events make its stories get written, if they happened at all. Not sure if it's on natgeo or history channel. Hell, history in general is interesting.

Actually I used to watch quite a lot of documentaries... Then I got unlimited computer privileges.

I've seen this several times, it used to air like 1-2 am, weekdays on History Channel I believe.
I saw this one episode about John the Baptist comparing him to Jesus Christ, it was damn right interesting.

Level 5
racist documentary

I actually watched it now, and I have to say it is one of the silliest videos I've ever seen. What was even more ridiculous than the video itself was the youtube comments :ogre_hurrhurr: (but still quite amusing)

5kilvr.png

Level 6
"How to grow a planet" is probably a really cool doc series, i'm not sure if i've seen it before, but i will definitively check it out, thx nudl ;)
The most interesting documentary i've ever seen was a 4 hour long documentary which was probably very similar to that, but this one covered from the Big bang, to the creation of planets, different theories of how we got our atmosphere so we could keep water, to bacterias that started to spring to life in the water, how/why we got ground above water, what first occupied the lands, how the grass evolved into plants and further into trees, the first animals that walked on land(first they were like frogs/turtles in the sense that they could spend limit time above water), to bugs/insects, to dinosaurs, to different theories about how/why/when everything changed, the ice age etc. etc. etc. all the way up until the year 2000^^
I watched the whole 4 hour long documentary with intense interest, i felt that all my previous questions about how we came to be was answered, i felt enlightened actually hehe

So such documentaries are highly reccomended :p

Level 24
I actually watched it now, and I have to say it is one of the silliest videos I've ever seen. What was even more ridiculous than the video itself was the youtube comments :ogre_hurrhurr: (but still quite amusing)

5kilvr.png
If I watched a documentary about Martin Luther King, called it one of the silliest videos I've ever seen, went on to make a comment on the Africans and others who supported the documentary, I'd most certainly be called a combination racist, neo-nazi, extremist, hater among others.

Yet watching a documentary on controversial and very relevant matters such as racism targeted against whites and doing exactly what I mentioned above is perfecly fine, I take it?

Fuck you, idiot. No, no, no! ~Magtheridon96

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 5
If I watched a documentary about Martin Luther King, called it one of the silliest videos I've ever seen, went on to make a comment on the Africans and others who supported the documentary, I'd most certainly be called a combination racist, neo-nazi, extremist, hater among others. Fuck you, idiot.

As a biology layman, enthusiast and student I can't help but to cringe everytime I hear "human races". Whether it be racebiology or genetics there is no such thing as human races and there's various explanation for this, if you're interested - ask.

Ethnic backgrounds, sure. Ethnicity, fine.

Yet watching a documentary on controversial and very relevant matters such as racism targeted against whites and doing exactly what I mentioned above is perfecly fine, I take it?

How can racism, if we are to define it as some sort of oppression, be targetted at the majority, the dominant group of the society. Because as of today, all western nations (that I can think of) has a white dominance and majority.

Level 8
As a biology layman, enthusiast and student I can't help but to cringe everytime I hear "human races". Whether it be racebiology or genetics there is no such thing as human races and there's various explanation for this, if you're interested - ask.

Hmmmmmmm...

I'm fairly certain there is some basis for what you could call "race" in genetics. It's just that you want a prettier name since race has negative connotations.

Ethnic background and ethnicity also bring the environment into the equation. Call it "genetic background", perhaps?

I've heard from various sources that individuals are more different from each other than people of different 'races'. The fundamental problem with this is that it focuses on what's different within a population, not what is shared. There was a swedish documentary about this; apparently there's a drug (countering hearty disease, afaik) that works significantly better on blacks (well, I'm not sure where those blacks are from. Might not be valid for all dark-skinned people due to different genetic backgrounds).

Being unwilling to investigate this and assuming people with different genetic backgrounds will react the same to drugs was claimed to be a problem in aforementioned documentary.

Level 24
ManYouAreEvil said:

Ethnic backgrounds, sure. Ethnicity, fine.
I've read differently. But this isn't a discussion about science. Whether or not race is genetical or simply "constructed" by society is irrelevant, as people think in terms of races regardless.

ManYouAreEvil said:
How can racism, if we are to define it as some sort of oppression, be targetted at the majority, the dominant group of the society. Because as of today, all western nations (that I can think of) has a white dominance and majority.
It's really simple actually; Arab kid dislikes German kid because he is German. Doesn't matter that ethnical Germans are a majority in Germany, the Arab still dislikes the German. Is this truly that hard to understand for a biology layman, enthusiast and student?

And if you really want an example of a nation without a white majority, look at a country like South Africa, the by me supposed capital of anti-white racism.

Level 5
Hmmmmmmm...

I'm fairly certain there is some basis for what you could call "race" in genetics. It's just that you want a prettier name since race has negative connotations.
I've read differently. But this isn't a discussion about science. Whether or not race is genetical or simply "constructed" by society is irrelevant, as people think in terms of races regardless.

Nope,
as there is too much genetic resemblance (the famous 99,9%) between two homo sapiens sapiens from let's say Northern America and India, or Africa for that matter, it would be unfounded to divide us in racial groups.

The reason for this likeness in germplasm is mainly because of the homo sapiens sapiens being a fairly young species and has not been around enough to distinguish itself from another detached group genetically.

Most likely we'll never evolve into races either as the technical comfort of mankind has pretty much ruled out natural selection, resulting in a homogenization in genes.

What is even more interesting is that between the suggested racial groups of homo sapiens sapiens there has been numerous incidents where the DNA of two individuals from two different groups has been more identical than the DNA from two individuals from the same group.

The human races we have of today, examples are caucasiods or negroids, are not based on science, it's not a scientific term. Hence it's vague in this context and meaningless. It's based on geography and political borders (it is a social construct as the documentary you linked claims it not be, and gender is not a social construct which also the documentary claims otherwise).

The only people who seem to bother with trying to mix in some racebiology, genetics and not only forming but also value and have prejudices about any of the group (good and bad prejudices) seems to be neo-nazi movments and generally uninformed people. I'm not accusing anyone of being either, but based on my personal experience - so far I've been right.

As of the whole "we think in races anyway" arguement, I would like to debate this aswell as I'm quite sure if I understand correctly what you mean I oppose to it. But I would like you elaborate it more firstly.

It's really simple actually; Arab kid dislikes German kid because he is German. Doesn't matter that ethnical Germans are a majority in Germany, the Arab still dislikes the German. Is this truly that hard to understand for a biology layman, enthusiast and student?

Individual racism or discrimation happens all the time (there is little denying this, there are perfect examples of both white discrimation as there is black discrimination - or any other ethnic group), but what I am really asking for (as the documentary you linked to implies) is how the government, the media and the general popular opinion could be against the very dominant and majority group that is the government, the media or the the general opinion.

Do you really, seriously believe that whatever country you are living in is moving into an anti-white state? Where the white man is oppressed and other ethnic groups are taking over.

If so please provide me, as I am interested - (I share the very opposite viewpoint), if you'd like some actual evidence of this. Like a passed law allowing an ethnic group eat for free at restaurants meanwhile white people must brush their shoes (exaggerated example - I know, I'm just trying to make myself clear) and not some personal story of how you someone in the youtube comment field called you racist, as this says very little to me.

And if you really want an example of a nation without a white majority, look at a country like South Africa, the by me supposed capital of anti-white racism.

I actually meant Western nation, as I actually said. There's no doubt that africans make out a majority in african countries and that there could exist some kind of western hatred or anti-white|ism perhaps founded the african exploitation and unjust dominance that has been going for quite some time by white, western men. I'm not saying its righteous, so don't get any ideas!

By the majority pointing the gun at its own head. :D

I'm not sure what you are getting at, so please for the sake of the debate - elaborate!
I did make an assumption of what you could've meant, but I'm not sure so take it with a pinch of salt;
So do you mean that I condemn all white humans as a caucasian male myself (not far from the übermensch ideal) by being acceptive to multiculturalism and the mixturing of ethnic groups? :D

There was a swedish documentary about this; apparently there's a drug (countering hearty disease, afaik) that works significantly better on blacks (well, I'm not sure where those blacks are from. Might not be valid for all dark-skinned people due to different genetic backgrounds).

Being unwilling to investigate this and assuming people with different genetic backgrounds will react the same to drugs was claimed to be a problem in aforementioned documentary.

Yes, also medication against high blood pressure works in general better on white males than on black males, people from the eastern globe is more often lactose intolerant - and so and so on.
I'm not saying that there isn't any genetical differences at all, but not a macro-evolutionary scale to create another single race.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I'm not sure what you are getting at, so please for the sake of the debate - elaborate!
No actually I just answered the question. :D
Namely,
but what I am really asking for (as the documentary you linked to implies) is how the government, the media and the general popular opinion could be against the very dominant and majority group that is the government, the media or the the general opinion.
How do you opress a majority? By making the majority opress itself. Or more likely allow itself to be opressed. Moving a boulder isn't heavy if there's no friction.
Individual racism or discrimation happens all the time (there is little denying this, there are perfect examples of both white discrimation as there is black discrimination - or any other ethnic group)
Exactly. So why do you hear so little about the first kind?
and not some personal story of how you someone in the youtube comment field called you racist, as this says very little to me.
Really? I find vibrations in everyday conversations to be more interesting a test subject than looking at the global stage. And I also happen to think you are more susceptible to any kind of discrimination if you expect it from everyone in every situation. Even to the point of luring others down pitfalls where they do it accidentally just to prove yourself right.
So do you mean that I condemn all white humans as a caucasian male myself (not far from the übermensch ideal) by being acceptive to multiculturalism and the mixturing of ethnic groups? :D
Not at all. And where I also differ from the video is that I would never call it a tool. Because a tool is something you use consciously.

What I would say is that even if racial discrimination is (quite) evenly distributed amongst people, a white caucasian male is generally one being blamed for it for fitting the "racist" profile.

Level 5
No actually I just answered the question. :D
Namely,

How do you opress a majority? By making the majority opress itself. Or more likely allow itself to be opressed. Moving a boulder isn't heavy if there's no friction.
So the whites in the western are the oppressed ones? Even if they are in general the ones with highest standards of living, education and whatnot.

Exactly. So why do you hear so little about the first kind?
Hm?
I hear about racism all the time, of course not on Western Media as it would be centered on the Western Civilization (duh). As the majority and the dominant group in the western civlization is the caucasian ethnic group, it's logical that it would be one practicing racism.
But in other geographical locations, let's say Africa - it's obviously bound to be otherwise. We've had decades of xenophobia and apartheid in South Africa, we've had racism openly practiced by Arabs against blacks in Sudan, slavery wasn't illegal until 2003 in Niger and not to mention Rwanda. There's hundreds and hundreds of more examples.

Not at all. And where I also differ from the video is that I would never call it a tool. Because a tool is something you use consciously.

I still don't quite follow on how exactly we are, even unconsciously, oppressing the caucasian group in the western civlization.

What I would say is that even if racial discrimination is (quite) evenly distributed amongst people, a white caucasian male is generally one being blamed for it for fitting the "racist" profile.

It's far from evenly, if it's occuring nationwide it would be against the minority (as I already claimed, the white group is still dominant and the majority), I just can't see it happening that a minority would oppress the majority in a nation.

Even if I'm absolute sure it occurs on both sides (on an individual level), I'm as sure that it more often occurs racism against the minority and on the whole I'm just as sure that the incidents of racism against blacks outnumbers the incidents against whites (neither of them are justified nevertheless)

Hence, if we are to generalize (which I rather not) it would be quite rational to consider the average racist to be white, male.

That video from Linaze is 100% correct.

Furthermore there is more to life than biology.

I can understand that you believe so, but anything that isn't explained scientifically or even rational is not worth a whit.

We depend on rationality and that documentary is not rational.

Level 14
I can understand that you believe so, but anything that isn't explained scientifically or even rational is not worth a whit.

That documentary is very rational.

One just needs some depth perception to understand it, or like Linaze said, some open mindness. Just because this documentary is not written in some biology book it doesn't make it less truthful.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Hm?
I hear about racism all the time, of course not on Western Media as it would be centered on the Western Civilization (duh). As the majority and the dominant group in the western civlization is the caucasian ethnic group, it's logical that it would be one practicing racism.
For the sake playing along, think of the human race as a set and partition it into subsets. Let's define a subset that has a trait (among other traits) that elements in it are all opressive. Couldn't there exist another subset which shares this trait?

So the whites in the western are the oppressed ones? Even if they are in general the ones with highest standards of living, education and whatnot.
Not exclusively the opressed ones. They are subject to opression. They also opress others.

But here's a disparity. I want to say, like everyone else, which implies that saying the average white male is a racist holds true. It's just a little misleading.

But in other geographical locations, let's say Africa - it's obviously bound to be otherwise. We've had decades of xenophobia and apartheid in South Africa, we've had racism openly practiced by Arabs against blacks in Sudan, slavery wasn't illegal until 2003 in Niger and not to mention Rwanda. There's hundreds and hundreds of more examples.
At this point I have to ask. Is it racist (opressive) to attribute traits to a group of people, and by extension every individual, without taking direct physical action?

If it isn't we really need to separate opression and racism.

I still don't quite follow on how exactly we are, even unconsciously, oppressing the caucasian group in the western civlization.
By thinking a certain way about us and applying it to the individual.

Don't feel bad about it, we all succumb to that fallacy. Let's just say it can be pretty accurate but the bets are on me since all I need to do is present one individual that doesn't fit in and it no longer applies to the whole group.

Even if I'm absolute sure it occurs on both sides (on an individual level), I'm as sure that it more often occurs racism against the minority and on the whole I'm just as sure that the incidents of racism against blacks outnumbers the incidents against whites (neither of them are justified nevertheless)
It's just that. It occurs more frequently against the minority because of sheer numbers. But what I'm trying to communicate is that everyone does it and racism is rarely practiced by unified groups, so on the individual side (and in percentage) there wouldn't be a big difference. But it is really misleading to people. Like the example:

Premise: African americans are overrepresented in the NBA.
Conclusion: African americans make better players.
(Valid because of majority)

Premise: White caucasians score better on standardized tests.
Conclusion: White caucasians make better testers.
(Culturally inclined bias)

And neither of it is justified. Because if it is justified, it isn't racism. Note though that it is easily misconstrued as racism, especially in the case where a white caucasian male communicates it. (Hint: by average he is a stinking racist.)

It's far from evenly, if it's occuring nationwide it would be against the minority (as I already claimed, the white group is still dominant and the majority), I just can't see it happening that a minority would oppress the majority in a nation.
It's probably because I think the human race a unified race not partitioned into groups, and it is evenly distributed in that it's practiced by every individual.

...;)

No but seriously I think I'm starting to see where this went south.

One just needs some depth perception to understand it, or like Linaze said, some open mindness. Just because this documentary is not written in some biology book it doesn't make it less truthful.

I know this isn't the tower or anything (not that the tower does much good now anyways), but while we do have a debate going can we cut back on comments like these? I don't want to prompt more "no YOU are close-minded" debate because it sucks.

Level 22

You sound like you've stuck your lips to the arses of the scientific community, it seems you worship them in the same way religious whackos worship their gods. But didn't I tell you, they are just switching sides, in the past religion was pulling the strings now it's science.

Well guess what, scientists make mistakes too, scientists can be wrong too, I've told you just because someone has a diplom and some years in some scientific area doesn't make him godly knowledgable and credible...

Of course, it has to be in Scientific Journal or else it's a lie, right?? Well guess what - to not ruin their rating and prestige, some uncomfortable topics and topics will not be in your GEEKY scientific journal, that does not mean they don't have truths in them.

This 'I don't see it in science therefore I don't believe', repeating like a broken recorder is kind of pathetic. You will find out that lots of things are true without being in Scientific magazine... Lawl at your way of thinking.

For example: You put some custom title 'Illuminati is real 2012' to mock at it and indeed, I myself am not sure if such exist, but again there are and have been secret societies - but you don't read about them in some scientific magazine so it's a lie right? lol...

ManYouAreEvil
Newsflash! The topic isn't about racism but documentaries and since you started discussing and juding them, then it's time to judge YOU.

Ok you may be a dork who's read lots into biology and I suppose you know some things there. However, you have no clue about Secrets. I have studided as part of a job some classifying information.

Also I've read a lot around secrecy. Since you disregard so many things, do you ALL know what Secrecy involves? If not, all of you should shut the hell up.

Secrecy of technology and whether UFOs or aliens is a military secret. It would be so classified that you will NEVER ever know.

Secrecy about societies whether they have a plan to RUN ECONOMICS, POLITICS and such would also remain secret.

And only sometimes from whisleblowers who are usually shut down (or KILLED) for speaking, you may get some RUMORs. And then you disregard it all as 'STUPID CONSPIRACIES' and ask for evidence!? in secrecy, evidence?

Secrecy and evidence for the public do not go together

What do you expect? Reported from local media:

Reporter:
- Excuse me Sir, I heard you are an Illuminati, could you tell us please, are you indeed? We have this debate in public and there is no scientific evidence...
A: Of course I am, I felt obliged to tell you. Afterall Scientists' warcry is Where is the EVIDENCE? Well here it is. Now let me show you my official Illuminati badge, it's SEAL and DATE OF ISSUANCE so that I can confirm I am an Illuminati.
- But do you have any plans for the world? There is no evidence that you will do so with the population and there are some rumors about your hidden place. There is however no evidence of any.
A: Oh Of course ! For the sake of the scientific evidence and so that PEOPLE learn, we will show all the place we reside and we will give you exact:
DATE
TIME
YEAR
PLACE

Where we will do something. Also we will give you a full daily schedule of our agenda. All in the name of the EVIDENCE for the Public.

I hope I have been helpful.

Or the claim 'If it were discovered, we would know for sure' ROFL ROFL ROFL (btw I am now waiting to be erased from this site so I can talk whatever I want)

Ahahahaha you who think so, you suck! Evidence of secrecy, really? ... Not that by having secret we can be certain so, but that's why we shouldn't exclude what may exist out of our sight. Oh whoever is certain in its existence and especially non-existence when some data speaks otherwise, oh you worthless FOOLS!

Level 5

It's not, it refers to some sort of race, that doesn't exist.

It doesn't really work with the scientific method and is far from rational, it involves what, an interview with 4-5 people. I'll admit, too many people would be hard to fit in for a documentary or a video and still be enjoyable to the public. But at least he could have refered to a study over a bigger group of people or concluded a study of it himself :)

ManYouAreEvil

I'm not going to respond to all of your statements and questions, as it would start a debate which is not even closely related to the topic. The other ongoing debate at least is about the documentary and it's content, discussing it's reliability and sense.

But I'd gladly respond to the whole post if you're going to make a new thread about it (You could name the topic something of: "How accurate is science?" or "Can everything be proven?" or whatever) or you could even send me a PM where we could debate this. Anything goes.

Level 8
In a meta sense, it's funny that you can go off-topic in off-topic.

Anyway: on topic! Here's a very interesting documentary series, produced by the lovely Swedish sorta-independent media. Unfortunately, the narration is in Swedish. I particularly liked the episode Nothing But The Truth, which deals with the current state of the US media (If you want to whine about anything, it's that it focuses too much on Fox News as a bad example. Asking USians seems to point to major bias in the big 'liberal' (lololol wat) channels as well).

Level 5
For the sake playing along, think of the human race as a set and partition it into subsets. Let's define a subset that has a trait (among other traits) that elements in it are all opressive. Couldn't there exist another subset which shares this trait?

With my very limited knowledge and understanding of english, I'm having a hard time trying to understand what this actually means. Could you rephrase in a simplier way?

Not exclusively the opressed ones. They are subject to opression. They also opress others.

But here's a disparity. I want to say, like everyone else, which implies that saying the average white male is a racist holds true. It's just a little misleading.

At this point I have to ask. Is it racist (opressive) to attribute traits to a group of people, and by extension every individual, without taking direct physical action?

If it isn't we really need to separate opression and racism.

Except for that the fact that it would be unfounded (except in obvious cases such as "Black people have a higher rate of melanin in them!") and a pretty poor generalization, it wouldn't directly be racism as it isn't really loaded with values.

By thinking a certain way about us and applying it to the individual.

Don't feel bad about it, we all succumb to that fallacy. Let's just say it can be pretty accurate but the bets are on me since all I need to do is present one individual that doesn't fit in and it no longer applies to the whole group.

It's just that. It occurs more frequently against the minority because of sheer numbers. But what I'm trying to communicate is that everyone does it and racism is rarely practiced by unified groups, so on the individual side (and in percentage) there wouldn't be a big difference. But it is really misleading to people. Like the example:
Premise: African americans are overrepresented in the NBA.
Conclusion: African americans make better players.
(Valid because of majority)

You're seeing the amount of racism in an ethnic group as a linear equation meanwhile I do not, there's too many factors involved for it be a linear equation. And this is why the distribution of racists in each will not be the same % per capita.

The dominant group will have more people to influence and the ideas and views will spread more, resulting in an exponential ratio.

Hence, there will be some kind of majority anti-black-racism, and minority anti-white-racism.

It's probably because I think the human race a unified race not partitioned into groups, and it is evenly distributed in that it's practiced by every individual.

...;)

har har
unified groups, I'm glad that you mentioned this because when it comes to unified racism (KKK to the Third Reich) it's always done by whites. It's quite interesting that you mention this, because throughout history the racist bad guys has been a majority of white guys. It's a historical component.

In fact, where I live (in Sweden) there's countless of neo-nazi, racist and right wing extremist movements that more or less supports ethnic cleansing.
But I can't think of any politcal movements, and I even tried to google up one, that supports the idea of an african race or indian race being superior to the caucasian male and seeks to cleanse it from their country.

This is a favourable example of what organized racism is (fortunately they're way too small to be of any importance at all politcally), and with minorities such unions can never emerge since they are minorities.

I would never say or claim that whites are racists in general, as that would indicate that some sort of majority of the whites would be in fact racists, which I don't believe they are and neither do I know any statistic pointing towards it.

But I would say that the general racist is white (if we're to generalize once again, even if I prefer not to) in a western society, where he is dominant.
We see the results of this in statistics showing racial discrimination is a lot more frequent towards minorities and organized racial ideas aswell.

Level 22
I'm not going to respond to all of your statements and questions, as it would start a debate which is not even closely related to the topic. The other ongoing debate at least is about the documentary and it's content, discussing it's reliability and sense.

But I'd gladly respond to the whole post if you're going to make a new thread about it (You could name the topic something of: "How accurate is science?" or "Can everything be proven?" or whatever) or you could even send me a PM where we could debate this. Anything goes.

Oh you mean I should waste my time about your ignorance and subjectivity and waste pages where you will tell me again how you are right and how SCIENCE says 'there is no proof' - wasting my time with a kid that claims he knows more than a lot smarter people, nah not gonna happen.

Btw I am not talking about human evolution now, I am objective and as such I agreed with the posts you showed that there is more evidence about it than other origins.

We are talking about secrecy which it seems you are clueless about and argue for the sake of arguing. Since you are gonna repeat like a broken recorder 'SCIENCE this SCIENCE THAT SCIENCE BLA BLA BLA' - do you have any clue of the meaning of secrecy?

Example: At area 51 (oh wait it doesn't exist!!) they are developing some super new bomber with newest technology. Some guy who worked there speaks about it even though he wasn't supposed to reveal details.

You: 'There is no scientific evidence that such airplane exists' - Really? Ahahahahah because no one showed it to you or to the public? Shut up kid about things you do not understand.

And the same goes for Secret Societies, read some books if you have no clue what ur talking. I can agree about natural processes and SCIENCE yes, but about secret things and SCIENCE face it - these two do not go together because whatever is kept well, you won't go far with science during the investigation.

Level 14
It's not, it refers to some sort of race, that doesn't exist.

It doesn't really work with the scientific method and is far from rational, it involves what, an interview with 4-5 people. I'll admit, too many people would be hard to fit in for a documentary or a video and still be enjoyable to the public. But at least he could have refered to a study over a bigger group of people or concluded a study of it himself :)

He doesn't refer to any sort of race. He refers to how people do not actually know what racism is anymore. And that they see racism and feel oppressed although they aren't.

First of all, maybe that study doesn't even exist, wasn't even made, and what's wrong with him personally making his own study? That's what scientists do right? Making their own studies?

Furthermore, they show 4-5 people with the same mentality. As in, they all reacted the same way most of the times, and they all gave the same answers. no answers or reactions. What that means is that they are representatives to a certain type of thinking, which other people besides them have, but simply adding more people to that group would just have been more footage of different people basically repeating the same ideas.

This guy isn't talking about everyone, he is talking about a certain group of people, which might or might not be the majority of americans. And that group of people is wrong because they basically say that 5+7 = 13 but 10+3 =/= 13 because 3 is a magic number.

Edit:

Conclussion is "white caucasians make the tests", as in that group believes that white caucasians aren't better at taking a test, but the test itself is made by white caucasians and that it somehow gives an advantage to white kids.

Edit Edit: But the documentary is not about The KKK. The documentary is about a group of people, who say "I see racism everyday". And than they are asked to back-up their statement. And from there the inconsistencies start. Either they don't know how to answer, or they answer in such a way that they contradict themselves.

The author doesn't try to prove anything from a biological standpoint, but from a psychological one. That people do not accurately perceive what true racism is, and that it is because of the media. This goes hand in hand with a line from the thread "Sex as Concept?" which sounds like this:
Sex is not degenerative. It is we (as people) who degenerate sex through the media.
And in this case, we also degenerated the meaning of 'racism' through the media. Not we per say, but we as humans.
And the fact is that we continue to degenerate the meaning and values of other concepts through the media.

And this is a phenomenon which happens today. It is LIVE. It is not something you would find in a science book, or rather it has nothing to do with science in biology, but it might have something to do with science in psychology. However you cannot make a real scientific study about this, because all in all, the degeneration of a concepts meaning (ie sex, racism), is due to a shifting in the moral view or moral values of society.
Example:
We have concept A. The majority of the society awards a certain moral value and a certain definition to concept A. Let's say they award moral value + and definition +. But three generations later, the moral value and definition of said A changes from ++ to --.
Why is this happening? Because the majority have changed their perception about the matter.
Can this change be scientifically studied (like biological things can be studied in biology)? No. Because you cannot measure in anyway, shape or form a concept or a moral value.

Yes, in Psychology you can make scientific studies. But you can only measure results. You can measure how many people asses value + to concept A. But it stops there. You cannot go into the "Why" of concepts through science.

So to return to my previous statement, there is more to life than biology.

Last edited:
Level 22
Fun fact: the Roswell UFO documents have recently been de-classified. Includes design docs for a military saucer-shaped aircraft.

Actually again to prove my objectivity and not sensationalism of the believers who still are certain some aliens crashed and with whom I am compared... I will say, no I am not sure if saucers crashed.

The declassified information show the so called Project 'Mogul' - a project of weather balloons and radar technology or something like that that have been dropped. The famous FOIL seen on this picture was also in the box that was opened when the documents were declassified. Indeed, the foil was quite earthly.

balloonpartsmarcel.jpg

However, some say there has been more than one crash. So, it is possible this whole project Mogul to be bringing the attention to these balloons.

Rosewell is very controversial case. They talk about using dummies (the bodies found were of plastic puppets), chimpanzees, and that's why they looked like the small aliens with big black eyes...

However, COVERUP is real and classifing information is one of the clues. The other clue is

The famous lights above Phoenix Arizona - people all over the town start seeing strange lights above the hills. 2 hours after the sighting - the military release FLARES (yes absolutely real flares no jk). Explanation: 'You people saw flares'... LOL.. and all the people who say even saw humming aircraft above were all crazy. Major insult to the intelligence of people.

UK Declassified documents: I've gone through the thousand of pages, they tell us one BIG nothing, why were they classified at all if so unimportant? Why did Project Blue Book exist?

I can say showing you part of it just to say 'Do you see how transaprent we are, we aren't hiding anything' is a common method. So is misinformation, so is ridicule, to make people laugh at it and not take it seriously.

Level 8
Somebody please get back to documentaries before Kael righteously closes the thread. Again. Anthony, what do you think of those I linked in my last post?

Level 5
Somebody please get back to documentaries before Kael righteously closes the thread. Again. Anthony, what do you think of those I linked in my last post?

Actually, I do consider this discussion to be on topic as it actually debates the content of the documentary.

I haven't watched any of those you linked (it was a series, right?) but I did add it to my watch list.

I'll get back to them as soon as I have watched them.

... Shouldn't this all be in another thread?

Fun fact: the Roswell UFO documents have recently been de-classified. Includes design docs for a military saucer-shaped aircraft.

Do you know if there is some major documentary that covers these de-classified documentaries? I'll certainly be interested in watching it if there is one. (Not some independant tinfoiler, pls)

Oh you mean I should waste my time about your ignorance and subjectivity and waste pages where you will tell me again how you are right and how SCIENCE says 'there is no proof' - wasting my time with a kid that claims he knows more than a lot smarter people, nah not gonna happen.

Btw I am not talking about human evolution now, I am objective and as such I agreed with the posts you showed that there is more evidence about it than other origins.

We are talking about secrecy which it seems you are clueless about and argue for the sake of arguing. Since you are gonna repeat like a broken recorder 'SCIENCE this SCIENCE THAT SCIENCE BLA BLA BLA' - do you have any clue of the meaning of secrecy?

Example: At area 51 (oh wait it doesn't exist!!) they are developing some super new bomber with newest technology. Some guy who worked there speaks about it even though he wasn't supposed to reveal details.

You: 'There is no scientific evidence that such airplane exists' - Really? Ahahahahah because no one showed it to you or to the public? Shut up kid about things you do not understand.

And the same goes for Secret Societies, read some books if you have no clue what ur talking. I can agree about natural processes and SCIENCE yes, but about secret things and SCIENCE face it - these two do not go together because whatever is kept well, you won't go far with science during the investigation.

This is all really out of topic and as you seem to be enthusiastic to discuss it, I recommend you create a seperate thread of it or PM me so we can discuss it.

Also;
If you don't like hearing other people views or talking to people disagreeing with you and arguing for another sake, I recommend you stop debating and keep your conversations with yourself.

He doesn't refer to any sort of race. He refers to how people do not actually know what racism is anymore. And that they see racism and feel oppressed although they aren't.

Actually both he and some of the people he interviews refers to racial subdivision several times, and does not call it ethnic groups. He even mentions near the end that race is not a social construct.

First of all, maybe that study doesn't even exist, wasn't even made, and what's wrong with him personally making his own study? That's what scientists do right? Making their own studies?

I'm not sure if there is a study or not, and I would certainly encourage him to do one, but if you call that documentary a valid or reasonable study (it certainly is some sort of study, but you'd have to value it) - I just don't know anymore.

Furthermore, they show 4-5 people with the same mentality. As in, they all reacted the same way most of the times, and they all gave the same answers. no answers or reactions. What that means is that they are representatives to a certain type of thinking, which other people besides them have, but simply adding more people to that group would just have been more footage of different people basically repeating the same ideas.

Yes, and this is where the documentary shows it's irrationality. He speaks of a nationwide confusion of what racism is, against who it is conducted and who it is that practices it - yet he allows 5 people (I counted 5 people being interviewed right of the head, I'm not sure if this is the actual number presented in the video) to represent the whole population.

I understand the problematic in interviewing the entire nation, or even a majority. But a couple of hundreds, or even thousands wouldn't harm the cause but in fact, do the quite opposite.

and even if he didn't have to show them all in the video, he could have made a study and just refered to it in the documentary.

In fact, it's hard to consider this to be a valid documentary because of it's irrationalities.

To take this video seriously I would have to see a study shown on a bigger amount of people, some real statistics instead of 5 people.

This guy isn't talking about everyone, he is talking about a certain group of people, which might or might not be the majority of americans. And that group of people is wrong because they basically say that 5+7 = 13 but 10+3 =/= 13 because 3 is a magic number.

You're absolutely right, he is not talking about everyone, not even a majority.
He is talking about 5 people.

Conclussion is "white caucasians make the tests", as in that group believes that white caucasians aren't better at taking a test, but the test itself is made by white caucasians and that it somehow gives an advantage to white kids.
I agree, this is an extremely silly conclusions.

Edit Edit: But the documentary is not about The KKK. The documentary is about a group of people, who say "I see racism everyday". And than they are asked to back-up their statement. And from there the inconsistencies start. Either they don't know how to answer, or they answer in such a way that they contradict themselves.

But it's quite funny because the documentary itself is inconsistent, as I already pointed out. The very beginning dialogue speaks of a majority of people seeing racism everywhere, media sprouting it out and so on. But then he presents no actual evidence and insteads just interviews half a dozen of people and let them represent the entire group. It's irrational.

The author doesn't try to prove anything from a biological standpoint, but from a psychological one.
You can actually explain psychological behaviours with biology, it's called the Biological Perspective, but that's another discussion :p.

Also, I know of no psychological study that involved 5 people or less.

That people do not accurately perceive what true racism is, and that it is because of the media. This goes hand in hand with a line from the thread "Sex as Concept?" which sounds like this
I actually agree, most of the people interviewed in the video though were absolutely clueless, even if some did have some good points.

And this is a phenomenon which happens today. It is LIVE. It is not something you would find in a science book, or rather it has nothing to do with science in biology, but it might have something to do with science in psychology. However you cannot make a real scientific study about this, because all in all, the degeneration of a concepts meaning (ie sex, racism), is due to a shifting in the moral view or moral values of society.
Example:
We have concept A. The majority of the society awards a certain moral value and a certain definition to concept A. Let's say they award moral value + and definition +. But three generations later, the moral value and definition of said A changes from ++ to --.
Why is this happening? Because the majority have changed their perception about the matter.
Can this change be scientifically studied (like biological things can be studied in biology)? No. Because you cannot measure in anyway, shape or form a concept or a moral value.

Yes, in Psychology you can make scientific studies. But you can only measure results. You can measure how many people asses value + to concept A. But it stops there. You cannot go into the "Why" of concepts through science.

Psychology is a field in science, and most psychological studies submit to the scientific method. And even if they're not a science in the same definition as math or physics would be (absolute truth) - it is still scientific. And Psychology pretty much answers the "Why" in most cases, so does biology if you are to compare.

Also changes in morals are often studied within sociocultural evolution, if we are to take a biology example. And there are almost countless of other scientific fields studying and offering explanations to changes of morals, I just mentioned one.

Level 22
This is all really out of topic and as you seem to be enthusiastic to discuss it, I recommend you create a seperate thread of it or PM me so we can discuss it.

Because pages of discussing a single documentary is very ontopic haha. No, I will not post a topic about it because your disagreeing is a waste of time to argue about - a lot more disagreeing people who have been in NASA that have times more credibility than a complete nobody such as you can argue with me about that, so it is not that I dont listen to those disagreeing with me, I just find arguing with uneducated on a certain topic like you a waste of time. If you so much want to debate it, firstly educate yourself and put your lips off the scientific community's asses so that we don't see you posting 'Science this science that' about things that have NOTHING TO DO with sciencific proof...

And ofc it's good you don't argue at all, firstly for this thread to remain ontopic, 2ndly because you know nothing of secrecy. So for once you're doing a smart move by not arguing.

Level 25
David Attenborough is awesome, but Carl Sagan is like my hero.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one :)

Some other documentaries I can recommend:

Ross Kemp - Return to Afghanistan, In Search of Pirates, Middle East.
Quite a ballsy guy, he goes to areas plagued by conflict, and manages to provide a rounded view of the conflict.

Extreme Engineering (Series)
Although catered for a wider audience (reducing its technical soundness), it's always interesting to watch these vast machines in action.

I can't actually say I have a favourite documentary. I spend most of my day watching or atleast listening to so many, about a wide variety of subjects, from conspiracy to politics, physics or nature in general.

Learning is fun when you can multitask. And also browse youtube for channels specifically dedicated to these different subjects.

Status
Not open for further replies.