• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World Editors at Dawn! FamousPker49 vs. frostwhisper

Choose a Winner of the Contest

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
The Hive Workshop
Challenge Request

Instructions
1. Copy this form in its entirety.
2. Create a new thead in THW's Admin Contact or Challenge Submission forum. Title: Challenge Request.
3.Complete the information in each <field> below the underlined categories.
4. Do not alter the document in any other way.
5. Improperly completed requests may be rejected.
Challenge Arena Rules:
  • No memory leaks are allowed in triggers or scripts.
  • Challenge results must be bug-free.
  • Copy and paste techniques are not permitted.
  • No exports from other games are acceptable.
Challenge Theme:
(Triggering, scripting, texturing, modeling, terrianing, concept art, story writing, other.)

Terraining.

Challenger:
FamousPker49

Opponent(s):
frostwhisper

Challenge Duration:
(14 days maximum)
7 Days

Proposed Reputation Award:
(20 points maximum)
20 and the rights to the Sexy Eye.

Challenge judging:
(Poll or appointed judge)
50% Poll
50% Judge

Map-specific conditions:
Theme:
Anything. Just purely terrain skill.
File size:
Any
Imports allowed:
Yes
Optimization/protection:
None
Other:
Nope

Other challenge conditions:
Details:
None

Last edited:

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Munch, munch. Aye, I accept (though the sheer thought of losing 20 rep sucks xD).
No theme is fine, don't worry. Only question I have is, who would you propose to be the judge?

EDIT: Oh, and one more little thing. Can the whole thing not be UTM only? I'm getting a little sick by the UTM's limits recently (especially since version 3's basically outdated). Besides, for me the true artistic terrain skills can be utilized when every model is explicitly picked to match the piece perfectly.

Level 18
Alright, he gave me a response, but he is still on vacation, so he cannot judge right now. So I suppose we shall continue with teh Void as our judge.

[Death] said:
famouspker49 said:
Hello there, I have recently challenged frostwhisper, or here know as ikum-bokum, over at THW to a terrain contest and we decided that you would probably be the best judge of the contest. We were wondering if you would accept our offer. If so it'd be great if you could post in the thread.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f522/world-editors-dawn-famouspker49-vs-frostwhisper-90845/

Thanks alot.
I can't. I'm still in vacation, so I'm too "busy" to do much good besides talk. Sorry.

Level 18
Thanks for the approval! And oh, that's good to know. Whew.

EDIT: WIP, I may go with other ideas.

Attachments

• Challenge.jpeg
    Challenge.jpeg
    260.7 KB · Views: 193

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
frostwhisper, I highly recomend trying turning on AA (AntiAliasing) in your graphic card drivers. It would probably improve your terane looks a lot as currently there are a lot of noticable saw blade edges. Also it might make the grass appear betters.

FamousPker49, the moon reflection looks cool. However you will probably need something large on the ocean otherwise it will appear too emtpy.

Level 36
Judgification (word?):

Frostwhisper:

PROS:
- Very epic
- Colorful!
- Nice atmosphere (sky/light/fog)
- Original

CONS:
- Can see the trees on the horizon, which in my experience usually doesn't look good, basically the horizon is too close.
- Lack of tile variation in the background
- Lack of almost everything in the background (you know which hills I'm talking about!)
- Somewhat sloppy placing of flora around the path, looks too random and somewhat unnatural.
- Maybe TOO much doodad variation in the front which doesn't suit the background style...

Overall score - 7/10

FamousPker49:

PROS:
- Northern lights are original, and the reflection is pretty nice.
- Good trees
- Very good use of subtlety (background mainly, and the moonlight)
- The water and pier are very nice
- Makes good use of a shitty model (the ship)
- Star reflection looks good

CONS:
- Again, sloppy/unnatural doodad placement.
- The northern lights look like they are really close, and are also very blurry.
- The northern lights are only green!
- The reflection of northern lights looks a bit more like just more lights but lower down to the ground.
- The rocks on the side of the path look unnatural, I guess someone could have made it that way but it still looks off.
- Looks like you tried to cram too many different things into one picture.

Overall score - 7.5/10

COMMENTS: I'm going to have to hand the prize to FamousPker49. Why? Well frostwhisper, your terrain was very good and it was a tough decision, the background lighting was very nice and showed a lot of potential, I wish I could say the same for the foreground. And the doodad variation seemed to all be in the foreground and not in the background. As for the floating thingies, they add a nice touch, but still look a bit odd. The key point of doodad abuse in my opinion is making doodad abuse not LOOK like it's doodad abuse, which is really damn hard! Famous, well yours won it for me actually because of the grass sticking up through the boardwalk. That might make some people laugh, but it was what gave you the extra half a point and the win. Touches of detail and nature actually, believe it or not, add significant atmosphere. It gives the idea that it was a fairly old path leading to the shore, which really works with the rest of the piece. So it's not because Frostwhisper's was bad in any way, I just think FamousPker49's was better.

FamousPker49 - 7.5/10
Frostwhisper - 7.0/10

Status
Not open for further replies.