• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World Editor crashes after I import a custom model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
After I import a new custom model, after I save and exit the WE. When I open the WE and try to open the map with the imported models on it, the WE crashes. Can anyone help me out? I've tried it with both the Sephiroth model and the Kagome model that can be found on this site.

Oops...excuse my grammar...take out the second "after" from my post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 32
[self="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=360"]First Post? !ntroduce yourself to The Hive Cantoboy![/self]

I just tested the models: Kagome Kagome and Sephiroth

Each of them imported and performed well. If you edited the models after you downloaded then and THEN imported them, they may have been damaged. Refer to: Beware Of Corrupted Model Files!

~ Two posts merged.

Level 1
Hmmm....what could I be doing wrong?

Hmmm....thank you, Wolverabid. However, I still dont get how I edited the models to make them crash. All I did was use the Warcraft 3 Viewer to extract the proper files from the mdx, then I would use the "Show used texture names" command to find out what the file paths were. Lastly, I would then import each of the required files and change their paths using the custom paths option. Both these models work fine in-game, but for some reason, when I try to open up the map that had imported these files, the WE crashes. I AM aware that there are some corrupt models out there, but if what you're saying is true, I'm not sure what I am doing to alter these models. Can anyone please offer me future advice? Thank you. I have a great impression about this website.

After turning on my computer again today and posting this message, I tried to test the importing of Sephiroth again. This time, when I tried to get back into the map, it succeeded. The exception this time was that I followed one simple instruction on the Sephiroth page that I deemed unneccassary, and that was to "Put files in \Warcraft III\Units\Sephiroth". I am very uncertain if this was the cause to the success of my recent import. Can anyone please come up with any answers? Thanks.

Level 32
... but for some reason, when I try to open up the map that had imported these files, the WE crashes.
If that's the case (and you don't have an existing, stable backup copy of that particular map) you might want to try:
  1. Open the corrupted map using your .mpq editor.

2. Delete all imported resources, and save the map.

3. Re-import each model resource one by one, saving the map and testing it between import sessions.
In theory, this (somewhat exhaustive) procedure should allow you to determine which specific resource has caused the map to crash. Of course the failure of that particular map could be due to a circumstantial (possibly unrelated) error say, for example, a faulty trigger.

Level 4
Help

If that's the case (and you don't have an existing, stable backup copy of that particular map) you might want to try:
  1. Open the corrupted map using your .mpq editor.

2. Delete all imported resources, and save the map.

3. Re-import each model resource one by one, saving the map and testing it between import sessions.
In theory, this (somewhat exhaustive) procedure should allow you to determine which specific resource has caused the map to crash. Of course the failure of that particular map could be due to a circumstantial (possibly unrelated) error say, for example, a faulty trigger.

I downloaded an MPQ editor and i tired opening it by clicking "view" in the editor and all it does is opend up WorldEdit with the map and it just crashes like usual!

Level 32
I downloaded an MPQ editor and i tired opening it by clicking "view" in the editor and all it does is opend up WorldEdit with the map and it just crashes like usual!
  1. Start with your MPQ editor, for example: MPQ master v1.2.0
  2. Select: Open and switch to "all supported file types."
  3. Browse to the .w3x map file you wish to repair.
  4. Be sure to open the .w3x NOT a .mpq file.
  5. Examine the map's list file: you should see all the icons (.blp) models (.mdx) and skins (.blp) that have been imported into the map.
  6. Right-click on the imported file(s) and select: Delete
  7. No need to save the map inside the MPQ editor: once you delete them all, the map's .mpq file will be stable again.

Status
Not open for further replies.